closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Speedmaster?

Which Speedmaster?

Hi fellas

Need some help choosing which Speedmaster to purchase! After buying and not being happy with the size of the Reduced, I don't want to make another mistake!

I think I have narrowed it down to either a 3573.50.00 or a 3570.50.00. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which one to go for, and the differences between the two. I have just had hands on experience using polywatch to polish out a few scratches on my Reduced Hesalite crystal, so the hesalite on the 3570.50.00 would not put me off at all. Any ideas around what prices I should be able to pick them up for second hand?

Thinking maybe 36mths interest free option and 15% cashback via quidco at Goldsmiths could be a option, or buying when I visit New York next year? Are there many good deals to be had buying when in the US?

PS if anyone would like to downsize their Pro to a Reduced PM me :D

Re: Which Speedmaster?

For me there is only one - the classic with hesalite crystal and solid caseback.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    For me there is only one - the classic with hesalite crystal and solid caseback.

Second that.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
    I think I have narrowed it down to either a 3573.50.00 or a 3570.50.00. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which one to go for, and the differences between the two.
    The difference is 3. or 300. Or even 30,000. Not sure :)

Sorry, can't help it. Those numbers are meaningless to non-Omega catalogue fans. Any chance of pics, or verbal description?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I have been looking at getting a speedie.

Which ones are different in size?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    I think I have narrowed it down to either a 3573.50.00 or a 3570.50.00. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which one to go for, and the differences between the two.
    The difference is 3. or 300. Or even 30,000. Not sure :)

Sorry, can't help it. Those numbers are meaningless to non-Omega catalogue fans. Any chance of pics, or verbal description?
    The 3573.50.00 has a Sapphire crystal and see through back. And the 3570.50.00 has Hesalite crystal and metal back. Not sure about movements etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    I have been looking at getting a speedie.

Which ones are different in size?
    The Speedmaster Reduced is smaller. I have a reduced for sale PM if you're interested,

it doesn't matter so long as its the fullsized one..... :D

Master

IMHO must have the solid caseback. I have one of the Ltd Ed speedies and love it. Whichever you go for will be a good choice, and you won't be dissapointed :)

Master

The white face with black sub-dials - is that the 35th anniversary? I love it. The Alaska is too white for me, but that one is just right! :)

Craftsman

3570.50 :!:

Quote Originally Posted by sandy1979
    Second that.
    Make that 3. Preferably a vintage with chocolate dial.

Craftsman

As a non purist... I would buy the one with the auto movement and the sapphire crystal and display caseback.... simply because it is more practical for me!

TBH I'm not keen on any of the Limited Editions with the pictures on face at all. Makes them look a little cheap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymorris
    Second that.

Well there's enough of us to start a game of bridge then :D

The only limited edition I would consider is the Snoopy award, because of what said award represent

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

[quote=Saint-Just]
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnymorris
    Quote Originally Posted by "Chris_in_the_UK":2r0t651e
    Second that.

The only limited edition I would consider is the Snoopy award, because of what said award represent

[/quote:2r0t651e]

Hmm still not keen, couldn't they put the Snoopy on the back? :D

[quote=Walter Sobchak]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Saint-Just":3r36b5rj

Hmm still not keen, couldn't they put the Snoopy on the back? :D[/quote:3r36b5rj]

I can do that :D

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

[quote=Saint-Just][quote="Walter Sobchak":3kc9zzfj]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Saint-Just":3kc9zzfj

Hmm still not keen, couldn't they put the Snoopy on the back? :D[/quote:3kc9zzfj]

I can do that :D

[/quote:3kc9zzfj]

Thats better! :D

Master

I have a 3573 and I would recommend it highly - for me the Sapphire crystal just gives the dial a slightly more crisp appearance over the 3570. I also like peeping into the decorated movement under the display back every now and then :D. The 'Sapphire Sandwich' will be slightly more expensive though.

Master

For me there is only one...

Other than the Snoopy, as others have said, solid caseback, manual, hesalite, moon watch :)

Master

It's got to be vintage hesalite for me. Here's my transitional 145.022 from 1968. This is the first model to be fitted with the 861 movement but in 1968 they still used the older style dial which features the applied logo (replaced with a painted logo in 1969).

Sapphire sandwich or Snoopy for me.

I'm not a purist and I prefer Sapphire on watches (scratched too many crystals over the years to want anything else).

However, I've always had a soft sot for the Snoopy.

Cheers,

I think I have narrowed it down to either a 3573.50.00 or a 3570.50.00. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which one to go for, and the differences between the two. I have just had hands on experience using polywatch to polish out a few scratches on my Reduced Hesalite crystal, so the hesalite on the 3570.50.00 would not put me off at all. Any ideas around what prices I should be able to pick them up for second hand?
    just to throw a spanner in the works, there is a Third Way ;)... if you want the traditional hesalite crystal as well as a display back you could go for the 3572.50. They're not made any more but pre-owned ones do crop up. Best of both worlds IMHO :)

I recently bought mine pre-owned, the going rate for a good example seems to be around £1200-£1400 for display-back models or £1000-£1200 for the 3570. Definitely good value vs £2000-£2500 retail!

Cheers,
    Dan

Master

Hesalite and steel back if anything, but personally I prefer the automatics from the 70s - Mark 3 and 4, TV Dial etc.

Grand Master

You cannot go wrong with a Speedie .. when I bought mine, I went for something a little different (3594.50) manual wind, solid back & hesalite crystal ..

/vince ..

Having had a Reduced, Broad Arrow & a "regular" Professional I'd be looking for either a 50th Anniversary "Patch" or the Saphire Sandwich next time round.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

For me the 3570.50.00 (Hesalite crystal and metal back)

I have the standard 3750... but I also would like the Sapphire sandwich.. but with the brown dial.. that looks very cool as well!

I have this one sat in the safe, having a black hornback with gold deployant made for it in the coming months - two tone is not to everyones taste but I like it and actually makes quite a nice dinner watch with a black strap.

Borrowed the photo - really need to turn the camera on min sometime.

Cheers

Stephen

Journeyman

Well, I've just bought a 3570.50 with luminova dial and hands, hesalite and solid caseback.
    I was first going to take a 3510 (reduced), cause my wrist isn't that big, but I've read the movement had a real bad reputation.

If it had to order again, I would take an older dial, a tritium dial and hands, and a saphire caseback.
    Sold caseback are closer to what we call THE moonwatch, but the saphire caseback means decorated movement, and is much nicer.

Here is mine on a gator strap :

I used to have a speedie, but sadly we parted ways. I am definitely going to get a new one at some point, and to me the 3573 "sapphire sandwich" seems like the most attractive option.

This is probably a silly question, but does anyone know what the difference is between the 1863 movement in the 3573 and the 1861 in the 3570?

Cheers

Stern

I believe the difference is the 1863 looks prettier as its got the display back.

Some lovely Speedmasters in this thread!

Looks like 3570.50.00 (Hesalite crystal and metal back) is winning though!

A Professional, my ideal one would be a 321 on a JB Champion Mesh as per NASA spec;

And Neil Armstrong.....

Master

The Classic Moonwatch. Handwound, Hesalite Crystal, Solid Caseback. I owned a '69 Speedy Pro and regret selling it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    I was first going to take a 3510 (reduced), cause my wrist isn't that big, but I've read the movement had a real bad reputation.
    does anyone know about this bad reputation in regards the 'reduced', my wrist is 6 and 3/4 inches and was considering this watch as I thought it would sit/look better compared to the standard size, any thoughts?

regards

What about the moonphase for something different?

Craftsman

Just bought a speedie pro a few weeks ago, and I love the full size classic look. A friend has the reduced but it does feel too small to me.

Had most of the speedie versions.

But the best one and the one i keep coming back to is the 3570 'heselite and solid back'

For me there is only one:

Or maybe a Broad Arrow......... :lol:

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Classic moonwatch for me 8)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    I used to have a speedie, but sadly we parted ways. I am definitely going to get a new one at some point, and to me the 3573 "sapphire sandwich" seems like the most attractive option.

This is probably a silly question, but does anyone know what the difference is between the 1863 movement in the 3573 and the 1861 in the 3570?

Cheers

Stern
    The 1863 has a rhodium finish and cotes de geneve. its only a difference on decoration

1863 sapphire sandwich :wink: VERY NICE

Another vote for the classic moon watch, I love mine. I was pretty amazed when my local jeweller offered to polish the scratches on the hesalite out for free and returned it looking like new in a few minutes.

Craftsman

For me it has to be the classic moon watch, as many people on this thread have said.

My preference is for the 145.012 with 321 movement or the 145.022 with 861 movement.

Grand Master

Having read your earlier comments re. the Speedy reduced, I`d seriously ask yourself whether you really like the watch!

Accepting that the moonwatch has iconic status etc and is larger than the reduced, the two aren`t that different in concept. If you didn`t like the reduced I can`t see how you'll like the full-size :? unless the reduced was way too small for you. At 39mm, it isn`t exactly tiny, so I`d be surprised if the size will make so much difference.

I own a 3510:50 Speedy reduced which is fine for me as I have smallish wrists; in fact I`m wearing it now. It is a watch I really like as it captures the appearance and 'spirit' of the original, with the Heselite crystal etc. If I had bigger wrists I`d probably have the moonwatch, but I'm happy with the smaller version as I don`t like wearing watches that are too big for me.

I agree with earlier comments; the moonwatch with heselite crystal, hand-wound, original style etc is the one to own.....provided you're sure you really want a Speedy.

Paul

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    does anyone know about this bad reputation in regards the 'reduced', my wrist is 6 and 3/4 inches and was considering this watch as I thought it would sit/look better compared to the standard size, any thoughts?

regards
    I`ve owned mine for 5 years and had no problems whatsoever. I have similar sized wrists and I am much happier with the reduced than the full-size, which wears too big on me, so I would definitely suggest you go for the smaller version. Mine is the 3510:50 with hesalite crystal and small numbers on the dial. There is a later (more expensive) version which doesn`t have the numbers and has a sapphire crystal. This looks closer to the moonwatch and is a better buy IMO if you can find one Can`t remember the number but I think it was discontinued approx 18 months ago. I think it had a more substantial bracelet too, based on the current moonwatch style.

One thing to be wary of with second hand models is the bezel; it is quite easy to damage and not cheap to replace. I`m also told that chronographs cost more for servicing too.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Master

Bear in mind that you will not get cashback through Quidco if you take up an interest free credit offer.

By the way my choice would be the 50th Anniversary Patch edition, but I'm sure you'll love whatever you go for.

http://www.omega.ch/index.php?id=1025&d ... no_cache=1

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    Bear in mind that you will not get cashback through Quidco if you take up an interest free credit offer. [/b]

By the way my choice would be the 50th Anniversary Patch edition, but I'm sure you'll love whatever you go for.

http://www.omega.ch/index.php?id=1025&d ... no_cache=1
    And why not? I have asked quidco and they told me you would still get the cashback. I have it currently tracked on my IFC purchase!

Craftsman

If you are going for pre-loved, I'd second the suggestion of the 3572.50, i.e. hesalite front and sapphire back. Best of both worlds. The older cal 861 (well, I guess 863) variant is 3592.50 and is similar to the 3572.50. They come up once in a while.

Another difference between the 'reduced' and professional worth taking into account, is that the reduced is thicker (as it is automatic). That was in fact the final point that made me buy the Pro instead of the reduced.