closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A.T.P. unbranded watch ?

Craftsman

A.T.P. unbranded watch ?

hello all, I've just aquired this little beauty it runs great and is not in bad nick just a radium burn to the dial where the hands had been in one position for a while I assume, measures aprox 30mm without crown. hoping some one with more knowledge than me about these things might be able to ID the movement or manufactuirer of the watch from the pics. as I can't find a single mark anywhere except the 57 on the movement, is this the calibre no. am I right in thinking that Revue did a cal 57?, any way now to the pics

Over to the experts.........................Mark

Re: A.T.P. unbranded watch ?

That's a nice watch though I think you'll be lucky to identify it as there just doesn't seem to be that much out there about ATP watches. The one thing about yours that is a little unusual is the ridges/serrations on the caseback. Did you get this off Ebay recently as I seem to remember seeing one with a similar caseback there - I had a google for a similar caseback then with no success

Good luck with the search and congratulations on your acquisition.

Craftsman

hello there, Carlton... yes it was a recent purchase off the bay, actually it was the case back that helped draw my attention to it as I had never seen one like it I also like the look of the crown, sort of stands away from the case makes winding easier. Like you say though I think it will be a bugger to identify the maker but this must be one of the best places to try and find out.
    ..........Mark

You could also ask on the Military Watch Forum at broadarrow.net. Some ATP collectors over there.

Craftsman

thanks Simonk, I'll take a look......Mark

It is a Revue ( Revue Thommen Company) with 15 jewel calibre 57 and there is a very similar model illustrated and described on page 532 of Konrad Knirim's "British Military Timepieces'". The recesses all around the perimeter of the caseback are unique to Revue ATP watches. However, Knirim only mentions Q3xx, Q3xxxx as being engraved on the casebacks - with no mention of Q3xxx . And the dial in the book illustration does not have the two dots either side of the 12 luminous marker - otherwise the dial is the same including same numeral font and without any maker's name. Revue also used the Vertex name but their Vertex ATP watches used caliber 59.

Cheers

dunk

PS I used to live in Lakenham :-)
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman

Thanks Dunk, info is very much appreciated, have to get myself a copy of that book sometime when funds allow. Ah Lakenham not far from my main hunting ground ( arminghall car boot ) just up the road from the Cock, thanks again I knew some one would come up with something on here this forum seems to have an endless source of info and experts ,
    ATB ...Mark

Journeyman

Hi

Your watch is a revue 57 and is absolutely correct with the ORIGINAL crown

Cheers

IanD :P

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    It is a Revue ( Revue Thommen Company) with 15 jewel calibre 57 and there is a very similar model illustrated and described on page 532 of Konrad Knirim's "British Military Timepieces'". The recesses all around the perimeter of the caseback are unique to Revue ATP watches. However, Knirim only mentions Q3xx, Q3xxxx as being engraved on the casebacks - with no mention of Q3xxx . And the dial in the book illustration does not have the two dots either side of the 12 luminous marker - otherwise the dial is the same including same numeral font and without any maker's name. Revue also used the Vertex name but their Vertex ATP watches used caliber 59.

Cheers

dunk

PS I used to live in Lakenham :-)
    The reason that Q3xxx is not mentioned is that it had not been see prior to thye publication the table only refers to known existing examples.

Cheers :P

Master

I like the dial font on that watch and it looks in very nice condition.
    Congratulations! 8)

Craftsman

thanks to everyone for all the info so far, the best bit of finding these older watches is trying to find information about them. when it comes together like this with a positive ID and finding that all seems well and original is just sweet, I think this one could be a keeper at least for the time being anyway. the times I have said that only to let them go and regret it later.......next on the list is a little French number no military markings but very much in the style, so much illuminous paint on the dial it would set off a geiger counter at a thousand yards ................Mark

You say a little French number with no military markings. The magic letters on French military watches (just in case you didn't know) are 'FG' and a date, rather than any reference to l'armée or l'armée de terre. With an older watch there will be multiple FG + date markings as this refers to 'fin de garantie', i.e. when the watch must next be serviced.
    As I said, not trying to teach you to suck eggs (or 'trying to teach a monkey to pull faces' as the French expression goes), just in case you didn't know.

Craftsman

Thanks for the info re french military watches, any info regarding any watch is valuble you can never stop learning. any way It seem s the french watch has no military markings it is just a military style watch I'll post some pics etc in watch talk when I have a chance to take some. it has Mitchell as a name on the dial with very large triangular indices totally made up of illuminous paint it would seem, also 100% waterproof/shockproof. black dial with white text. inside the movement is marked with a shield with a cross within it and P72 it is a 17 jewel movement the movement is also marked France.