closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS-50B - First owners wrist shot

Craftsman

Re: PRS-50B - First owners wrist shot

jon, i meant it. i thought (wrongly) that the 200 AS were to be shared with other projects.

anyway, it arrived today. and with the first number on my list, 23 (sort of "good luck" in rome). thanks eddie.

it looks good, i was scared it was too big. it is not, but i had to use the first hole in the strap (skinny wrist).

(btw, why ALL the wrist pict are with a fist?)

compared with the speedmaster (still with plastic on the glass and not running)

and with suunto mariner

thickness (but i was close and used a wide angle)

charge the lume and the space between dial and glass makes you think that you are going at warp speed, it is very unusual (no photo). the rubber is comfy if a dust magnet. the sounds the movement makes when the rotor moves is very nice

there is a gripe. a major one. the bezel. it feels flimsy. it moves too much, not only from one click to the other ("loose") but along the diameter too (6 to 12 and 3 to 9 directions). i have to think if this is acceptable on a 400 quid watch. plus, it is not centered (at least on mine). this is at one step:

this is at the next click:

as you can see, the marker on the bezel are not aligned with the dial. i appreciate the perspective, i've tried to keep the camera centered over the pin. on the second picture, the bezel markers at 1-2-4-7-8-10-11 are aligned (taking into account some optical correction). marker at 5 is not. triangle at 12 is way off. 45 is correct, 30 a bit offset, 15 a lot. look at the wrist pict, the 30 is almost ok, the opposite marker is not..

this bothers me, how is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by merloplano
    ... as you can see, the marker on the bezel are not aligned with the dial. i appreciate the perspective, i've tried to keep the camera centered over the pin. on the second picture, the bezel markers at 1-2-4-7-8-10-11 are aligned (taking into account some optical correction). marker at 5 is not. triangle at 12 is way off. 45 is correct, 30 a bit offset, 15 a lot. look at the wrist pict, the 30 is almost ok, the opposite marker is not..

this bothers me, how is yours?
    I noticed similar issues with mine... but haven't quite made up my mind about it yet.

-flugzeit

Master

it moves too much, not only from one click to the other ("loose") but along the diameter too (6 to 12 and 3 to 9 directions).
    Mine is fine in that regard. In respect of the bezel insert being centered, the extreme (by watch standards) vertical gap between the numbers on the bezel and on the dial makes it pretty difficult to visually check that they line up - I'm pretty sure that mine do, and you can see that from directly above the centre of the dial, although from some other angles it looks as though they don't because of the vertical distance.

Craftsman

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I love it! The original 50 never appealed to me but this revamped version is so cool :D

But the one with the AS movement is limited to 200 and all spoken for...[sigh] Oh well, I'll just have to get one with the ETA in it.

Congratulations Eddie on making the best hommage of any classic dive watch!

Thanks for the photos to all that have one ...wear them in good health!

and all spoken for...
    Not my understanding - the first 50 have sold, but the next 150 (?) will be released in mid-July

Master

Hrmm interested to hear from eddie about that dial alignment. I'm sure it looks worse with the domed crystal? I did make a similar comment on another thread that it didn't look right

Master

I'm sure it looks worse with the domed crystal?
    As above, I'm sure it's an effect caused by the extreme height of the acrylic on the 50B and the thickness of the sapphire on the 50 - the gap from the bottom of the crystal to the dial is >6mm on the 50B and <2mm on the 50 - it's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell
    and all spoken for...
    Not my understanding...
    Agree, I think 150 more with AS movements shipping (and up for grabs) in July

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    it moves too much, not only from one click to the other ("loose") but along the diameter too (6 to 12 and 3 to 9 directions).
    Mine is fine in that regard. In respect of the bezel insert being centered, the extreme (by watch standards) vertical gap between the numbers on the bezel and on the dial makes it pretty difficult to visually check that they line up - I'm pretty sure that mine do, and you can see that from directly above the centre of the dial, although from some other angles it looks as though they don't because of the vertical distance.
    i took the pict exactly from the position you describe, top above the centre. if it was a parallax (?) problem, the shift between bezel markers and dial markers should be on the same side, opposite to where i'm watching/taking picture. this is not the case.
    in addition, the numerals in the dial shows almost none (and in any case, consistent between pictures) deformation. to me, it means that i was almost in the same position, quite vertical from the centre.
    i was able to put the bezel in the right position, only it was just a bit before the next click. does this suggest that the bezel mechanism is not perfectly regulated?

pict of 50b against the speedie, 50b is on the left, the 45 marker is aligned. 50b against the suunto, on the other side of the camera axis, still 45 marker looks ok and the others three are way off.

on the other hand, lume pict from website, with the watch being at an angle (as it lies on its buckle), all the main markers are ok. just look at the flat part at the vertex of the triangle in the bezel: it is exactly midway compared at the small square below the 12 in the dial. this does not happen in any of the 2 consecutive clicks i've had at the bottom of my previous post

question: are the tiny dots painted on the bezel? i cannot feel them under my finger

Craftsman

Thanks for those comparison shots merloplano!

The 50b looks huge compared to the Speedy Pro, interesting to see those pics.

:)

there is a gripe. a major one. the bezel. it feels flimsy. it moves too much, not only from one click to the other ("loose") but along the diameter too (6 to 12 and 3 to 9 directions). i have to think if this is acceptable on a 400 quid watch. plus, it is not centered (at least on mine). this is at one step:

this is at the next click:

as you can see, the marker on the bezel are not aligned with the dial.
    In both of these photos, it is clear to me that your camera lens is not parallel with the surface of the watch but is tilted slightly to the left. Consequently the left hand side of the watch appears bigger than the right and this is greatly distorting our view of the alignment of the bezel to dial. Look at the relative sizes of the 45 and 15 markers on the bezel. I am guessing that this, together with the thinkness and curvature of the acrylic crystal near the edges of the dial, is distorting the view of how well the bezel aligns with the dial. You can also see that the six marker on the dial is distorted over to the right - this has to be an optical effect caused by the acrylic crytal and the angle of view.

I am not saying you are wrong, just that it is impossible to say from your photos. You could try zooming to the telephoto end of the range and moving the camera much further away from the watch - this will minimise parallax and distortion problems and give you a better idea of whether or not this really is an issue.

Martin

Master

i took the pict exactly from the position you describe, top above the centre. if it was a parallax (?) problem, the shift between bezel markers and dial markers should be on the same side, opposite to where i'm watching/taking picture. this is not the case.
    in addition, the numerals in the dial shows almost none (and in any case, consistent between pictures) deformation. to me, it means that i was almost in the same position, quite vertical from the centre.
    i was able to put the bezel in the right position, only it was just a bit before the next click. does this suggest that the bezel mechanism is not perfectly regulated?
    I'd agree with Martin that from those pictures, it's difficult to tell, although from your description, it sounds as though it may be misaligned. On the other hand, it may be worth contacting Eddie anyway if you're getting noticeable lateral / horizontal movement on the bezel - I checked mine after reading your post yesterday and there's no play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I'd agree with Martin that from those pictures, it's difficult to tell, although from your description, it sounds as though it may be misaligned. On the other hand, it may be worth contacting Eddie anyway if you're getting noticeable lateral / horizontal movement on the bezel - I checked mine after reading your post yesterday and there's no play at all.
    I am wearing mine today, and I think that the misalignment may be an optical illusion. When i look at it with my two eyes, it´s fine. I close one eye, it´s misaligned. The depth of the dial vs the bezel plus the thickness of the acrylic dial (and the clear distortion at the edges, ie over the hour numbers). In order to conclude that I would need to see a more scientific proof (a picture taken with the watch perfectly centered and evidence shown with lines over the pic).

Obligatory quick and dirtys.

First thoughts.

Does it look, feel and sound like the FF you'd buy if you could - yes!

But, even if you could buy that 40 year old watch would you wear to do the job it was meant to do - no!

Does it make me a happier person to own it -yes!

Did nagging doubts make me care enough to avoid scratching the lugs when trying straps - no! (that's the acid test)

Now, I know i'm meeting the Revenue today, but i can't remember another watch that made me feel like; taking a sickie, riding my bike for a couple of hours and jumping in the sea at the end.

Enjoy the thing, its a masterpiece and if things don't quite pass tolerance comfort yourself in the knowledge that that's what "Great Britain" is on the dial for.

Master

Oh hurry up b***** postman........... :roll:

Master

Yeah, it's driving me crazy now and I know I was one of the last to order and, therefore, will be one of the last to get :cry:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by davek
    Yeah, it's driving me crazy now and I know I was one of the last to order and, therefore, will be one of the last to get :cry:
    Same here, seeing the photos is making me crazy but I can't stop coming here to take a look... :roll:

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Where is my 50B?????
    Come on postie......the sorting office is only 10 minutes walk round the corner ffs!

<deep breaths>
    <calm>

If you are waiting for the postman, my advice is to go and have a dump, preferably with a mild case of constipation. The minute things start moving, the doorbell is sure to ring. At least that what seems to happen to me.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Has this been posted before?
    Not that I've seen... it's all in a funny language though!

Journeyman

http://www.hablemosderelojes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13459&page=7

Nope, I previously posted a diferent thread in HdR (by clicking on the pic shown in my post).

NOTE: just received the UPS warning, IT'S DUE TO ARRIVE TOMORROW!!!!! :D

Master

Got mine this morning, bezel seems a tiny bit out but TBH I am not really that bothered as it aligns fine with the markers, its no worse then my EZM3 was for example. Yes the depth to the dial is really striking but I don't mind it at all in the flesh. The lume on the hands is really strong, love the feel of the movement both to wind, set and on the wrist. One really nice thing though compared to the old 50, the bezel click on this one is much more positive. I wonder if Eddie changed it.

It has an odd quirkiness to it this one that I am already getting really attracted to, lets put it this way, with the old 50 I just put it on and wore it, with this one I keep looking at, especially looking at the dial at different angles.

Oh well of to work soon, hopefully I will get some pics in later.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NJH

It has an odd quirkiness to it this one that I am already getting really attracted to, lets put it this way, with the old 50 I just put it on and wore it, with this one I keep looking at, especially looking at the dial at different angles.
    The magic of acrylic crystals!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

Have just been informed that a package is sitting on the kitchen table awaiting my return from work. How exciting. :bounce:

Journeyman

Lucky you, chaps... :bounce:

I got an email a few minutes ago that mine had been dispatched - estimated delivery time - MONDAY 22nd :bounce: must be in the tail of the first 50...

The drum beat for the new PRS 50 is growing louder :bom: :bom: :bom:

Cheers,
    M

Journeyman

HEY! WAIT A SECOND!

I didn't even know the new 50 was released and there are already WRIST SHOTS!!!!!!!!

I thought I've been checking the threads regularly. When & where was availability announced?

And to think I started it all way back when:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=53689

The new 50 looks great Eddie. Congratulations! One question - will it be available with a standard movement?

Dave

Journeyman

I love this one: you snooze... you loose :D

There will be another bunch of 150 with AS 2063 available in mid July - per Eddie's web.
    Regards, neighbour :)
    M

Quote Originally Posted by twigfarm
    HEY! WAIT A SECOND!

I didn't even know the new 50 was released and there are already WRIST SHOTS!!!!!!!!

I thought I've been checking the threads regularly. When & where was availability announced?

And to think I started it all way back when:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=53689

The new 50 looks great Eddie. Congratulations! One question - will it be available with a standard movement?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by marcel78

I got an email a few minutes ago that mine had been dispatched - estimated delivery time - MONDAY 22nd :bounce: must be in the tail of the first 50...
    M
    So much for

yes, today. the watches will be shipped following the buying order. about 15 per day. you'll have it for friday, relax.
    :roll: ....ah well....some things are worth the wait (but not too long :D )

A couple more pictures.

It is a complete pig to photograph so I’ll leave any more to people who know what they are doing.

After a day I’ve concluded that it is completely impractical for work in an office under a shirt.

Otherwise, this is as close to the last true Fifty Fathoms watches from the 50s 60s and 70s as we are ever going to get. That’s not to say that the modern incarnation of Blancpain don't make great watches but if you want to feel like Jaques Cousteau buy this and spend the balance on some diving lessons and a holiday.

PS IMHO the only strap for this watch is the polyurethane one it comes with. Almost indecently thick and soft and a perfect complement to the watch. Before you throw £40 or £50 into some Toshi exotica wait for it to arrive and give it a try.

Master

PS IMHO the only strap for this watch is the polyurethane one it comes with. Almost indecently thick and soft and a perfect complement to the watch. Before you throw £40 or £50 into some Toshi exotica wait for it to arrive and give it a try.
    It's great, isn't it? Almost like having a Stretch Armstrong watch strap.

Master

Got my email - here tomorrow!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    In both of these photos, it is clear to me that your camera lens is not parallel with the surface of the watch but is tilted slightly to the left. Consequently the left hand side of the watch appears bigger than the right and this is greatly distorting our view of the alignment of the bezel to dial. Look at the relative sizes of the 45 and 15 markers on the bezel. I am guessing that this, together with the thinkness and curvature of the acrylic crystal near the edges of the dial, is distorting the view of how well the bezel aligns with the dial. You can also see that the six marker on the dial is distorted over to the right - this has to be an optical effect caused by the acrylic crytal and the angle of view.

I am not saying you are wrong, just that it is impossible to say from your photos. You could try zooming to the telephoto end of the range and moving the camera much further away from the watch - this will minimise parallax and distortion problems and give you a better idea of whether or not this really is an issue.

Martin
    hi martin
    i'll try to make the kind of pict you are talking about. anyway, i didn;t try to align the bezel markers with the dial numeral, but with the dial markers (eg, the square at 12) that are well away from the glass edge, hence not distorted

as per the 2 eyes/1 eye view, i became aware of this by looking at the watch on my wrist. then i tried different angles, then i started to rotate the bezel looking for the correct position. only after this i recurred to the more objective camera. i wouldn't say i've rushed the conclusions

Craftsman

and this is it (sorry, they are a bit wider than 600 but i crop the original pict to as close as possible)

1 bezel click "before" what it looks good:

next click:

in both cases the bezel was resting against the lock (the clockwise rotation lock). as i wrote yesterday, if i force the bezel into a mid-click position i can have a better alignement, but it shouldn't be this way.

i think the camera was centered in a reasonable position, as the chamfer at the bezel edge looks evenly thick. i've checked the bezel markers against the dial inner markers at 3-6-9-12. to me the bezel is offset in both case (most notably the first). so, is it me? other pics to take?

for the rest, don't be fooled, the watch is nice. it lost 14s in one day off the wrist, face up. i'll ask eddie for the loose bezel, and, if it is objective, for the misalignement

- edit for typos, i'm sure i still left some

This is much clearer. It looks to me as though the insert is not correctly aligned within the turning ring, perhaps a degree or so out of alignment. I see no problems at all though with the way in which the insert itself has been produced.

Martin

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    This is much clearer. It looks to me as though the insert is not correctly aligned within the turning ring, perhaps a degree or so out of alignment. I see no problems at all though with the way in which the insert itself has been produced.
    Martin
    the baby photographer in me takes this as a compliment :mrgreen:
    now, is it possible to correct the alignement between the insert and the turning ring? i have no clue on how the bezel is assembled. and, could this be the cause of the loose bezel?

luca

Fischmob

OK here is mine (including my first post :salute: ) my watch is blameless exept a small difference between the color of the hands to the color of the markers :roll:

...all things considered it is a great watch :hello1:

I know I said I wouldn't be taking any more, but I really want to show what a fun watch this is.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    I tried a few straps on my 50 and came to the conclusion there was none better than the one Eddie chose for it. Aesthetically, I thought a basket-weave Tropic style silicon strap seemed more authentic, but Eddie's rubber was better quality. (As a suggestion, a Timefactors Tropic-style rubber strap would be popular, I'm sure. The only modern incarnations of these - from the usual sources - are merely adequate. I'm sure Eddie could do it better. :wink:)

Oh man, the more i look at this thread the more beautiful the 50B looks :) I stupidly sold my 50LE, yes i'm an idiot, and now can't wait to get my hands on this one. Must be patient. Will monday will come around soon enough...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by marcel78
    Lucky you, chaps... :bounce:

The drum beat for the new PRS 50 is growing louder :bom: :bom: :bom:

Cheers,
    M
    I think I got in a minute or so after you marcel, and I don't have the dispatch email yet.
    I am not jealous.
    I AM not jealous.
    I am NOT jealous.
    I am not JEALOUS.

Ok, I am.

the baby photographer in me takes this as a compliment :mrgreen:
    now, is it possible to correct the alignement between the insert and the turning ring? i have no clue on how the bezel is assembled. and, could this be the cause of the loose bezel?

luca
    That depends on how it is assembled. I imagine though that the insert is simply pressed into the bezel. In order to fix the alignment, the bezel will need to come off, the insert prized out and refitted once the bezel is back on the watch. This assumes that it is possible to remove the insert without damaging it. Anyway, if it is out of alignment, I would simply contact Eddie - I am sure he will sort out any problems.

Martin

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Enjoy the thing, its a masterpiece and if things don't quite pass tolerance comfort yourself in the knowledge that that's what "Great Britain" is on the dial for.
    Ahem Brother, Ahem to that 8)

Apprentice

Hi everyone, forgive my English, I speak through a translator. I present to my PRS-50B number 6:

Thanks and best regards.

Has Eddie finished posting out the first batch yet? I've had no email to confirm dispatch, just the Sage-pay and Timefactors order email on Saturday night (8:58pm). :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Has Eddie finished posting out the first batch yet? I've had no email to confirm dispatch, just the Sage-pay and Timefactors order email on Saturday night (8:58pm). :cry:
    I will have shipped them all by close of play today, just another 6 to go.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

:toothy7: :toothy8: :toothy7:

Posties been!
    Well,as my first watch from Eddie all i can say is that i am very happy!......(apart from the fact it's a pig to photograph!)
    I have no issues with any alignment or bezel 'wobble'.
    Here are a couple of quick pics-still has the plastic cover on the crystal.
    Only question is (and i might be being a bit dense here) but i thought only 50 were released this time round yet mine is #51?

Craftsman

Only question is (and i might be being a bit dense here) but i thought only 50 were released this time round yet mine is #51?
    I think Eddie keeps 001 so the first 50 available are 001-051. This assumes either that Eddie received 51 in the first batch or that 001 already existed as a prototype or will be taken from the next batch.
    Or I could be completely wrong!

Journeyman

Athen, wear it in good health.
    Your picture is top notch - half of the dial is in a lower light spot and the lume is kicking in...
    Keep posting here... many of us had to learn the universal language from scratch as our second or third language ... it is not an easy task - I have been struggling since I came to the US 6 years ago - I will never get rid off my slightly :mrgreen: heavy accent and more likely will mix the words here and there :mrgreen:

A lot of fellas over here use a very good written English - it is very useful - do not give up... we may think about putting a thread together where we can share idioms/slang/jargon etc. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80656

Just by seeing your watch - you must be a good guy and skilled / lucky photographer: bounce: .
    Cheers,
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by athen

Hi everyone, forgive my English, I speak through a translator. I present to my PRS-50B number 6:

Thanks and best regards.

Master

I've just got #52!