closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-10 Mechanical version?

Craftsman

PRS-10 Mechanical version?

Hi,

When the Precista PRS-10 was launched, I remember of a discussion about a possible mechanical version, is it still something planned?
    I really love the quartz one but I still would prefer a mechanical.

Benoît

Craftsman

Re: PRS-10 Mechanical version?

Exactly!

PRS-10 is my favourite watch - quartz as EDC is perfect but I would also like to have a mechanical version for some occasions. So? Is there any chance for such clock?

Quote Originally Posted by Majowy
    PRS-10 is my favourite watch
    It's mostly fabulous, but I think a white-hand version would be more crucial than a mechanical one, so that one can actually tell the time with it! The polished hands a very funky, but 9 times out of 10 they are invisible! Something to do with stealth perhaps? Casio's "stealth" versions of their G-Shock range have been justly criticized for being so stealthy you can't actually see the time...

EW

I own a PRS-10 and don't seem to suffer from any visibility issues. In fact, I always thought the hands were quite large in relation to the face. I like the polished hands - just my opinion you understand. :)

Cheers
    David

Craftsman

just like me - never had a problem to see the time. Moreover, polished parts of hands act as mirror - just look at them at a proper angle and you will see the beauty - I love watching the light reflected from them (similarly as with PRS-53), such hands make the watch almost subtle or elegant. PRS-10 with white hands would not be the same watch, I would not like it - this is only my opinion. But I dream about mechanical version :wink: so? Eddie?

A mechanical PRS-10 would be like a quartz PRS-14.

Quote Originally Posted by DJG
    I own a PRS-10 and don't seem to suffer from any visibility issues. In fact, I always thought the hands were quite large in relation to the face.
    It's not the size, it's the reflectivity. Unless they "glint", they simply reflect the colour of their surroundings... which are black! Black hands on a black face are pretty hard to see...!

I must purchase a CWC when I've got some more money to squander, I'd be interested to compare the two. I've got an MWC I wear when I fix the car which has white hands - which are more visible, but they're very similar in size and shape. And the lume - such as it is! - is bloody shocking!

I think the world is still waiting for the ultimate G10, although the PRS-10 is very close.

EW

Presently, a PRS-10 mechanical version is called an O@W MP2824-2 :lol: :lol:

Sure, I'd love a mechanical PRS10 but I think the point of the watch is that it is a quartz, therefore being more accurate and importantly, more robust.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Earwicker
    but I think a white-hand version would be more crucial than a mechanical one, so that one can actually tell the time with it!
    i agree, same problem here. how about aftermarket white hands on the 715?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    A mechanical PRS-10 would be like a quartz PRS-14.
    if mechanical PRS-10 would be produced as LE maybe it could be acceptable even for purists :roll:

Craftsman

No need for a LE version. If I'm correct, the case was made to accept ETA 2824 movments and I still think it would be a great addition to the current quartz version.

Benoît

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben265
    No need for a LE version. If I'm correct, the case was made to accept ETA 2824 movments and I still think it would be a great addition to the current quartz version.

Benoît
    The case would have to be modified, the stem hole is not in the same place on the 715Li and 2824-2.

Craftsman

A while ago there was hope for a PRS-10 with a automatic Miyota-movement.

Discussed here: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50863

However I don't know the current status of the PRS 10 MK II, or if it even is a project.

rgds,
    /joakim

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by merloplano
    but I think a white-hand version would be more crucial than a mechanical one, so that one can actually tell the time with it!
    I just picked up one of these and I don't see a problem. The hands are readily visible even when reflecting a black surface.

Quote Originally Posted by proximo
    Quote Originally Posted by merloplano
    I just picked up one of these and I don't see a problem. The hands are readily visible even when reflecting a black surface.
    It's OK if you train your eye to latch on to the lume - otherwise black hands on a black face are pretty stealthy!

The crystal on mine is already failing around the tension ring I noticed the other day and I've only worn it a few times! The case is really funky but there're still a few issues to iron out I think

Apprentice

I think quartz movement is important part of identity of this watch - in a historical meaning. It`s also one of the thing that makes it a real tool. No need for auto version in my opinion :) There`s a lot of excelent mechanical timepieces, let prs10 stay quartz ;)

Craftsman

Hands are fine the way they are. Polished hands are HIGHLY visible at the right angle. And at the wrong ones, you still have the matte lume patches to guide you.

Auto is cute, but unnecessary IMO.

-O

I rather like the idea of a mechanical PRS-10, actually. It would be a neat, basic field watch. (I had an O&W M65 for a while which would have been similar, but sold it. I'd quite like something to replace it.) My wife wears a PRS-10 (she's a bit brutal on watches) and I rather like it, but I just don't get on with quartz analogue anymore. I like my analogues mechanical and my quartz digital.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Journeyman

Ditto!
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I rather like the idea of a mechanical PRS-10, actually. It would be a neat, basic field watch. (I had an O&W M65 for a while which would have been similar, but sold it. I'd quite like something to replace it.) My wife wears a PRS-10 (she's a bit brutal on watches) and I rather like it, but I just don't get on with quartz analogue anymore. I like my analogues mechanical and my quartz digital.

Won't Eddie's planned Smith's W10 be the equivalent of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Won't Eddie's planned Smith's W10 be the equivalent of this?
    Now I really would like one of those! :thumbleft:

I love the hands they reflect what ever surrounds them the PRS 10 is one great value an instant classic. Eddie is a compulsive perfectionist thank God!The new PRS 50 ummmmm so nice too! :)