closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Aristo Fliegeruhren

Grand Master

New Aristo Fliegeruhren

Just picked this up on the German Watches Forum:

Aristo releases 44mm Fliegeruhren with 10mm onion crown, ETA 2801 hacking or 2824 auto movement, sandblasted stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, view back (auto version only), price range 495 to 550 euros.

The combination of big crown, hacking handwound movement, no date and no display back is a very sensible one for this type of homage watch, IMHO. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Source: http://www.watchuseek.com/cgi-bin/anybo ... =2&gV=0&p=
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the one on the left a lot. Just slightly too big for me though.

I agree handwound / solid back would be the way to go though...

Craftsman
    I follow Aristo's range. I have been waiting for the one on the left. They have often come up with good ideas and then spoilt them with some legend on the dial or some illegible clutter (exaggerating slightly)

They're getting closer to the mark....

the previous incarnations of these hommages were a bit far off.... automatics, date windows and displaybacks.....

These are starting to make sense.... as functional as a watch should be...

I just might get tempted....

Jeroen

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    They're getting closer to the mark....

Jeroen
    I agree. With a bit more evolution that one on the left could turn into a PRS-1 :D

John.

The other day we were talking with Crusader about german cylindrical cases ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I saw an L1 in-action a coupla days ago ... it was a gold one with anthracite dial ... well ... it did not look impressive at all. The case was far too cylindrical and sat awkwardly-high in the wrist.

Now you are going to laugh ... the cylinder of the L1 case gave a similar impression to the B-Uhren ... ok you can stop laughing now.
    I had not thought about the B-Uhren connexion, but the cylindrical case is very much en vogue with german watch brands. The Sinn 756 is absurdly cylindrical - I have called it tubular before -, with low-set lugs which accentuate the cylindrical profile. It doesn't really look good.
    ... in all honesty I cannot see much difference between the 'Sinn 756' and the 'Damasko DC56' cases ...

And if in any doubt about DAS BOX ...

The Aristo UHRENBOX?
    http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/FrameJaeger.htm

I'll get my coat.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

It's hardly surprising that there are similarities between Sinn and Damasko, Damasko made the cases for the 656 before the two companies decided they didn't want to tread the same path.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    The Aristo are nice. I agree with your comments.

Grand Master
    Love the aristos, but there's something about the black 756's that does it for me :D

Ming

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    It's hardly surprising that there are similarities between Sinn and Damasko, Damasko made the cases for the 656 before the two companies decided they didn't want to tread the same path.

Eddie
    Well you would have thought he?d come up with a new design for his solo venture but I suppose it must have been hard to improve on perfection. :wink:

john

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    Well you would have thought he’d come up with a new design for his solo venture but I suppose it must have been hard to improve on perfection. :wink:

john
    John,

there may be a misunderstanding here. I never fancied the Damasko DC 56/57 - precisley because I am familiar with the 756 case (from the showroom, not beacause I own one). I have always fancied the DC 66, though I think you'll be the first of the two of us to get one ... :wink:

So the DC 66 is indeed a new design ... it sounds o.k. to me that they would capitalize on the work they put into the original Sinn 756 case, and then expand the line with a different creation.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master

Re: New Aristo Fliegeruhren

Just picked this up on the German Watches Forum:

Aristo releases 44mm Fliegeruhren with 10mm onion crown, ETA 2801 hacking or 2824 auto movement, sandblasted stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, view back (auto version only), price range 495 to 550 euros.

The combination of big crown, hacking handwound movement, no date and no display back is a very sensible one for this type of homage watch, IMHO. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Source: http://www.watchuseek.com/cgi-bin/anybo ... =2&gV=0&p=
    On second thought, the reduced-length hour hand on the left watch is wrong; it is the hour hand of the center watch. Laco and Stowa are doing better interpretations of the hour hand of the early dial. A pity though, because of the hacking handwound/solid back combo offered only ba Aristo. The center one is quite good, if you like the later dial. The right one I have never seen an original picture of, so I wouldn't know if it has
    a historical precedent, or if tis pure fiction.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    These watches have the correct hour hand for the earlier-version B-Uhr:
    On the 42mm Laco:

And here on the 40mm Stowa:

And, of course, IWC got it right, too (46mm):

For comparison, here you can find shots of the originals (55mm):

http://www.qahill.com/tz/b-uhr/b-uhr.html

Please note the different crown on the original IWC B-Uhr and the onion crown on most German-made B-Uhren ...

Now if only Aristo would update the hour hand, they would have the hands-down winner, IMHO ... (your mileage may vary). :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    What do you think of Archimede? It's rock-bottom priced, with sapphire crystal, case apparently made by Ickler. Doesn't it sound good?

http://www.archimede-uhren.de/DE/pilot-bericht.htm

Grand Master
    Just came across this pilot's-style watch:

42mm diameter, 10mm height, ETA 2824, sapphire crystal, mineral glass view back, ? 225

Here's the link to the article: http://www.uhren-schmuck.de/aktuelles/m ... 3803.shtml

Have we discussed this Archimede brand (something German) before?
    Not bad, but in my personal opinion:
    - hands are too thin and short (my only serious complaint)
    - view back (which I disapprove of)
    - no handwound movement

I like the unobtrusive date, though. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I am sorry but I find these as 'me-too' monstrosities. For the very same reason that I liked the Laco I dislike the Aristo.

Another year or so and I wouldn?t want to be seen dead in my Laco ? the design itself is becoming too common ... a positive proof of what an amazing design it is, both in the quirkiness of the case design and the dial/hand configuration.

What first attracted me to Aristo was his use of the Harley movement* but since then, it?s all been down hill. Having said that I still find some of his combinations of styles intriguing - this one:

... being particularly attractive.
    http://www.webmart.de/wmshop.cfm?ID=289 ... &do=detail
    http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/Frame5H62TU.htm

But ... but ... as all the B-Uhren makers now started ?sporting? their names on the dials it has spoilt the total intended effect.

john

* http://www.aristo.ch/html/popup/4h30.htm

The right one I have never seen an original picture of, so I wouldn't know if it has a historical precedent, or if tis pure fiction.

I have, on a Vacheron.

john

Grand Master
    I am sorry but I find these as 'me-too' monstrosities. For the very same reason that I liked the Laco I dislike the Aristo.

Another year or so and I wouldn?t want to be seen dead in my Laco ? the design itself is becoming too common ... a positive proof of what an amazing design it is, both in the quirkiness of the case design and the dial/hand configuration.
    (1) :?: You lost me there.

(2) I have never brought myself to wear one of the B-Uhren homages, although I have frequently thought about it ... in the end it was always the close association with Nazi-Germany in WWII that held me back (however reasonable or not that position may be), but now I tend to agree with you fully once more: the watchworld is awash with B-Uhren homages, and they are becoming far too common a design... :(

(3) Solution: There is no homage as yet to the A-11 ... (hint, hint...) !

Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master

The right one I have never seen an original picture of, so I wouldn't know if it has a historical precedent, or if tis pure fiction.
    I have, on a Vacheron.

john
    Many thanks! Is it a split-time chrono?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

john
    Many thanks! Is it a split-time chrono?
    Don?t quote me but I think the additional hand is a minute-hand which zeros with the button and counts 1 hour.

What I personally find wondrous with this watch is the shape and size of the hour-hand and it?s exact positioning on the chapter-line (and something totally missing from the Aristo effort).

The V&C is probably the most interesting ?tool watch? I have ever laid eyes on.

john

Grand Master
    Funny watch, that ...

the two second (minute?) hands are very similar - that cannot make for quick reading. What are the numbers inside the inner chapter ring? hours?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Not important ... too many other important things to talk abuut ... something to do with 'an original' and 'a wannabe'.

john

Grand Master

Not important ... too many other important things to talk abuut ... something to do with 'an original' and 'a wannabe'.

john
    :idea: Same reason I like the iWC, apparently ... :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Funny watch, that ...

the two second (minute?) hands are very similar - that cannot make for quick reading. What are the numbers inside the inner chapter ring? hours?
    1. The two 'long hands' are different colours. One is a running seconds and the other chrono-minute.

2. Yes. They are hours.

john

john
    :idea: Same reason I like the iWC, apparently ... :wink:
    The Big Pilot was IWC's wannabe ... in the B-Uhren revival ... that cheapies like Laco instigated.

john