closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Russian watches.

Grand Master

Russian watches.

Looked at these in a dealers.Quite like them but are they too much at £175 & £125(5%discount offered).Is it normal for very wobbly crowns on these cheap Russian watches.
    Quite fancy a Russian watch.Dealers blurb......attatched.Not sure how a "wobbly" crown aids waterproofing!.

Thanks for any input.....I know nothing as Manuel said.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by P9CLY; 22nd May 2024 at 13:09.

Who is the dealer? You can get a brand new waterproof Vostok for that money Vostok watches were made to be tough, robust and cheap so there is little to gain in a “Vintage” Vostok.

The wobbly crown is totally normal. I assume they mean when you pull the crown out to wind the watch.

Grand Master
    Yes wobbly when pulled out.Tbh I prefer older watches over new.

Last edited by P9CLY; 22nd May 2024 at 15:13.

The wobbly crown is not a defect. That is the way it is designed. It works so dont let that put you off.

Grand Master
    Tried a search for same but not found anything.Certainly not seen one like the white dial with the angel wings.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I'll weigh in to agree with the wobbly crown thing... it's totally normal but an eye-opener when you first own one. It's a rather thin looking stem isn't it that holds it there isn't it. with play... makes you think you've pulled it out too far hahaha.

The Vostoks do have a different approach to design. Like the caseback is held in place by a screw down ring, rather than the whole caseback screwing in which twists the sealing rubber gasket. So different, but not necessarily inferior.

They are cheap crap and always have been - vintage or not they are not really worth what the dealer is asking.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Before the war, the best way to buy them was from Meranom, but you had to use meranom.ru, not meranom.com, to take advantage of the weak rouble. In which case new ones could be had in the £50-£120 range. Quality control was never the best - my last one arrived with a metal shaving inside the crystal. It's never moved, so it's never been worth getting it fixed.

The white / blue watch appears to be a hard wind komandirske model (it says so on the dial).
    The case could be the cheaper brass version of the 420 with a large crown fitted, or a recased hand wind movement in an Amphibian stainless 420 case.

Vostok may have made this combination at the factory at some time, but the only komandirske dialed watches on the Meranom website when I was browsing 5-years ago were £25 hand wind, chrome plated, brass cased, small crown Komandirske models.

The text on the bottom of the dial would be an indicator of age.
    USSR = Soviet vintage
    Caetano B Poccnn = newer, and possibly Franken.

The type of movement needs to be clarified, and the case material - brass or stainless.
    Any faults on the watches and the parts are going to be unobtainable.
    Out of the 3x Vostoks I own, the hand wind komandirske is the only one giving problems.
    Last edited by Reeny; 23rd May 2024 at 08:43.

I have zoomed on on the dealers note (should have done that first). It states auto movement.
    My basic knowledge is limited, but the komandirske model is hand wind not an auto.

My vote goes with an auto movement, in a 420 Amphibian stainless 200m case, retro fitted with a different dial and skinny hands from a hand wind Komandirske donor watch.

Not 100% Amphibian, but close enough.