closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grail watches that DID live up to the dream

Quote Originally Posted by sparmar1 View Post
    Gorgeous!

I had the same Commando years ago, fantastic watch.

The Tutima M2 Pioneer is one of my most worn now and I’ve recently added another EZM1 (probs my 6th!) - I would love to see your 142, that also sounds lovely.

BTW, what strap do you have on the EZM? That’s a cracking combo.

Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks
    The EZM is on one of Watchgecko's nylon straps. Not sure they do it any more. They do a sailcloth one, but only with orange stitching, not red.
    Zuludiver do one, HERE, but it costs way more now. I am pretty sure that strap cost me a tenner new.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks
    The EZM is on one of Watchgecko's nylon straps. Not sure they do it any more. They do a sailcloth one, but only with orange stitching, not red.
    Zuludiver do one, HERE, but it costs way more now. I am pretty sure that strap cost me a tenner new.
    Thank you!

I’ll check the sailcloth out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always loved the Seamasters of that era and they were quite new when my wife bought this for me twenty odd years ago.

Wear it every day, so certainly a grail to me.

Cheers,
    Neil.

It wasn't necessarily a grail but one of those watches that cost a lot of money for what was essentially a curiosity piece. In my case it was a Habring2 chronograph with salmon pink dial.

In the metal it was absolutely wonderful. The chrono felt great to use and the winding was buttery smooth. I think I paid £6k on SC for it, like I said for what was to me a curiosity piece to say I've finally tried one.

Once I had it I felt it was actually very underpriced for what it was. Far superior to a Speedy Pro for example.

In terms of actual grails I'll not be able to afford what are my true grails - I don't see mass-produced watches like AP, Patek etc as a grail for me, more like Philippe Dufour or Greubel Forssey.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ none of the watches in this thread are Grails in the Arthurian sense, you can see that for yourself (even the COMEX).

If you bought the most expensive on your list, would you keep it for over a year? That’s more the test here.

Mine is the SeMP GMT that Bubi already posted. 17 years later and I will wear it most of the time. For me, it’s as close to perfect as I’ll get. Hankered after a Rolex TOG for even longer but if I were to get one, I’d need to know when I’d wear that and not the Omega - and I can’t think of an occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Yes -- kind of! It's a "watchco" build (i.e. all original Omega parts) comprising of a new 166.0324 case, an old movement (1968 iirc and from a donor watch; a Constellation I think?), a vintage tritium gilt dial and new hands sympathetically relumed.

Most of the watchco ones have SL dials (presumably the same as a service replacement) and they look a bit too new; also the lume has that pale minty green colour. So when i saw this I jumped at the chance. It wasn't cheap but my goodness I love it. I'm getting through tubes of polywatch though!

I always wanted a vintage Sub (e.g. 5513) but I hate what Rolex has become and the more I look at them, lovely as those old ones are, I still prefer this. It was about a third of the price as well.
    Never heard of something like before, it's a great looking thing though. I'm sort of with you on the rolex thing

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Makes my list as well, albeit the quartz version.

Here's my trio that won't be going anywhere. I've had the DJ for 5 years, the "Goldeneye" for 1 year, and the 2264.50 for 6 months, but included as it has been on the wrist every day bar two since I bought it.

I really like the 2254.50 (auto) and 2264.50 (quartz) -- imho they still have something of the SM300's DNA with their sword hands and flat, printed lume.

Not sure they are really grails (my grails are pretty much unobtainable) but I wanted all 4 of these from the very earliest days of my watch collecting illness and I can’t see me moving these on at any point. They are all firm favourites

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Not sure they are really grails (my grails are pretty much unobtainable) but I wanted all 4 of these from the very earliest days of my watch collecting illness and I can’t see me moving these on at any point. They are all firm favourites
    I’ve never been a fan of vintage, but every one of those is a stunner!!

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    ^^^ none of the watches in this thread are Grails in the Arthurian sense, you can see that for yourself (even the COMEX).

If you bought the most expensive on your list, would you keep it for over a year? That’s more the test here.

Mine is the SeMP GMT that Bubi already posted. 17 years later and I will wear it most of the time. For me, it’s as close to perfect as I’ll get. Hankered after a Rolex TOG for even longer but if I were to get one, I’d need to know when I’d wear that and not the Omega - and I can’t think of an occasion.
    I let mine go a few (!) years ago against a gen 1 X33.
    I enjoyed the latter but would let it go. I miss my GMT…
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I have always loved the Seamasters of that era and they were quite new when my wife bought this for me twenty odd years ago.

Wear it every day, so certainly a grail to me.

What a beauty! My first "good" watch was a 2254, I still have it, it's definitely a keeper.