£800k seems like a healthy top line (but realistically maybe £700k max?)

I only looked within around 70 miles radius of Edinburgh (with a few fanciful looks beyond that), but still didn't waste the journey without doing extensive research to see if the area was viable.

One house I thought ticked the boxes for house/location/infrastructure/transport links - I did extensive search IRT flooding. I think for a lot of places in England with higher density building you should have a checklist with FLOODING, together with CLAY substrata - in your decision-making/assessments.

I have said to several people that I was not the typical purchaser, but I think perhaps a bit like a retiree.

(typical families look at Work commute, School catchment, bdrms to suit family size, garden if important - then it is prob pretty much down to budget/trivialities)

For me:
Not interested in school catchments
Want a house that I "want" to live in, with the footprint for decent size rooms.
Not so interested in a large garden space for kids - just useable.
Want to be near a viable town that has the right 'vibe' and amenities.
Double garage.

I think you are fortunate with that budget - to prioritise the area/town, and then look at what is available to then ask "what is the house we want to live in, there?"

Some really nice towns in Dorset/Wilts/Hants that are far enough remote from the Motorway to allow many journeys without hitting a slip-road.

Good luck in the search, and most of all - don't panic buy.

(apols if a bit random - it's Saturday wine night)