closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lack of return address details......why?

Hybrid View

Grand Master
    Apart from the risks involved by omitting to put the return address on the package, how do people expect to have their watch returned if they don't provide their full contact details?

That one does puzzle me, I`ve lost count of the number of times I have to chase people up by e-mail or PM to get their full name and address in order to return their watch.

^^^ In one two week period a couple of years or so ago I had 6 x Speedmaster moonwatch cal 1861's arrive for service, 3 of which had no return address or covering letters. Trying to sort out whose watch was whose wasn't the easiest task as non of the 3 owners I'd narrowed them down to knew their serial numbers, and the watches all looked identical in a photograph. I eventually managed to establish whose was whose by the handwriting on one packet and the fact one of the others arrived in a jiffybag and the other in a cardboard box.

What a time drain that was!

Totally agree with the OP on this one. It's also not unknown for a watch to arrive months after an email exchange with no name, address, or covering letter. Thankfully I keep all my mails, but it's certainly not ideal.

And packaging is another story altogether.... I thought I'd seen everything, but nope. A few years ago I got a mail saying, "Posted the watch. Apologies for the packaging, it's all I had", and the watch arrived in a third of a bag of flour!

^^^ I bet that raised your eyebrows Rich, you really didn't knead that. I hope you charged extra dough for the job!

Grand Master
    The bag of flour is a novel approach!

I don`t take many jobs on so I`ve never had a problem with two similar watches arriving with no details, but I`ve had stuff arrive several weeks after the initial enquiry with no covering letter or details.

Most folks are sensible when packing their watch, but I`ve seen both extremes of good and bad. Some go completely overboard, but I`m more concerned about the ones that are very poorly packed. Worst I`ve seen was a watch placed in a paper envelope with no padding, simply posted by 1st class post. It arrived with the envelope ripped and the watch hanging out!

One watch I received was very packed in bubblewrap and brown tape (like an Egyptian mummy), I had to use a craft knife to start cutting into it very carefully.......but not careful enough. I ended up cutting through the bloody strap and had to supply the guy with a new one.

My preferred method is as follows:

1. Wrap the watch in bubblewrap, with layer between the caseback and bracelet to avoid scratching. A few layers of bubblewrap will suffice, finishing off with a wrap of brown tape to secure the bublewrap.

2. Place the wrapped watch in a padded envelope, sealed and addressed with both the destination and the sender's address. Be sure to include a short note with contact details.

3. Place the padded envelope in a RMSD grey outer plastic envelope (free from your local post office), ensuing the address is clearly written and the return address is filled in. Black ballpoint pen is ideal.

4. Post the watch yourself and insure for the correct amount. Entrusting others can be risky, depends who it is, Mrs W posts a few for me but she's been very well trained!

Pack 'em properly, provide the right info, tell the recipient the watch is coming......simples!

Grand Master
    Just received another this morning, a Damasko sent by Mr Nobody! I think I know who's sent it and it isn`t someone on TZ.

Until the guy chases me up about it the watch won't get touched, I`m not wasting time trying to sort out who's sent it, his problem not mine.

Master
    In more civilised times, one chap famously used to drop letters in the street without a stamp on.

Without fail, some honest person would find the letter, think they were helping an unknown and unfortunate sender, pay for a stamp and pop it in the post.

I will not be trying this in 2023 Liverpool with any parcels headed to West Malling.