closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The war on weeds - decorative stones?

The war on weeds - decorative stones?

My flower beds (weed breeding grounds absent of any flowers) have been nuked. It’s all gone, scorched earth, victory!

Got some of the sun blocking fabric pegged down and intending to go out this eve to grab rocks to pile on and ensure none of the buggers work their way through.

Any recommendations on type or source of stones (my intent was B&Q who I believe do a wide range of pebble bags)? Or anything I should look to avoid? Reasonable size area so expecting to feel the dent in my pocket. Main aim is just to make the whole thing as close to zero maintenance as possible. Any words of wisdom appreciated, my garden knowledge is low (hence the nuking).

Cheers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    My flower beds (weed breeding grounds absent of any flowers) have been nuked. It’s all gone, scorched earth, victory!

Got some of the sun blocking fabric pegged down and intending to go out this eve to grab rocks to pile on and ensure none of the buggers work their way through.

Any recommendations on type or source of stones (my intent was B&Q who I believe do a wide range of pebble bags)? Or anything I should look to avoid? Reasonable size area so expecting to feel the dent in my pocket. Main aim is just to make the whole thing as close to zero maintenance as possible. Any words of wisdom appreciated, my garden knowledge is low (hence the nuking).

Cheers!
    Depending on how much you need I’d ring a grab company and get them to do a delivery for you.

The price will be 50% less than B&Q.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did two large areas a few years ago. One with pebbles, one with slate. Both perfect at first, but over time dust etc brought down with the rain/wind has allowed weeds to root and start to grow amongst the pebbles, but hardly ever in the slate which remains practically weed free.

I now use slate on the top of all my planters and plant pots for the same reason, way better than pebbles at preventing weeds.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

You should have filled the areas with weed-suppressing but attractive ground cover perennials like campanula, helianthemum, thyme, dianthus, sedum, asters, etc. All pretty much no-maintenance, but too late now.

Can't help with the stones but the weeds will be back and harder to get rid of when they start popping through the membrane and the gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Depending on how much you need I’d ring a grab company and get them to do a delivery for you.

The price will be 50% less than B&Q.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great shout, looks like ‘decorative aggregates’ can do me a very reasonable deal with delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I did two large areas a few years ago. One with pebbles, one with slate. Both perfect at first, but over time dust etc brought down with the rain/wind has allowed weeds to root and start to grow amongst the pebbles, but hardly ever in the slate which remains practically weed free.

I now use slate on the top of all my planters and plant pots for the same reason, way better than pebbles at preventing weeds.
    Thanks that’s a great nugget of insight, slate it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    You should have filled the areas with weed-suppressing but attractive ground cover perennials like campanula, helianthemum, thyme, dianthus, sedum, asters, etc. All pretty much no-maintenance, but too late now.

Can't help with the stones but the weeds will be back and harder to get rid of when they start popping through the membrane and the gravel.
    If they come through my membrane and a thick slate layer, then I’m leaving. They can have the house

If they come through my membrane and a thick slate layer, then I’m leaving. They can have the house
    Just made me laugh. Better start drawing up the new deeds then.

Nature is remarkable. Just think of all that buddleia literally growing out of bricks and mortar on railway lines the length and breadth of the country. Dandelions covering concrete car parks.

I didn't know about slate though. I wonder why that would be so effective? Maybe too heavy to push through? Lord knows, but good luck

Interesting observation on the slate. I was about to suggest rounded pebbles to ensure they don't puncture the membrane if walked on, but clearly not the right route. Get plenty of slate such that it isn't a thin covering, and perhaps best to avoid stepping on it all the same.
    I've been battling with weeds on a rockery for years, but appear to be near the winning line with evergreen ground-cover plants approaching full coverage. Good luck

Thanks for all the inputs. I've got my eye on a 1000kg of slate, could arrive by Thursday, figure that'll put a good dent in it and go from there.

Although valid point on how weeds seem to spring up out of solid blooming concrete, so perhaps I am just creating an extravagant future problem... but at least I'll feel like I tried.

Master
    Thanks for all the inputs. I've got my eye on a 1000kg of slate, could arrive by Thursday, figure that'll put a good dent in it and go from there.

Although valid point on how weeds seem to spring up out of solid blooming concrete, so perhaps I am just creating an extravagant future problem... but at least I'll feel like I tried.
    The advantage when they do spring up with your base, is they pull out so easily. According to my wife….I don’t get involved beyond the bank account for what is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    You should have filled the areas with weed-suppressing but attractive ground cover perennials like campanula, helianthemum, thyme, dianthus, sedum, asters, etc.

I've inadvertently found that wild strawberries do a pretty good job of that and you get the added bonus of lots of tasty strawberries (if you can be bothered to pick them).

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I've inadvertently found that wild strawberries do a pretty good job of that and you get the added bonus of lots of tasty strawberries (if you can be bothered to pick them).
    The Queen Mother's favourite fruit were wild strawberries, and she used to have them grown specially for her. I have them in my garden, but you do need a lot to make a bowlful.

Avoid marble chippings, unless you're after this kind of effect:

I'm in the 'tried that and gave-up' category with weeds, now I mostly let them have their way aside from certain really unpleasant kinds (nettles, cleavers, brambles) which I pull by hand.

Upside is a lot of rather attractive flowering 'weeds' (oxeye daisies, veronica, clover, corn marigold, mullein, various sedum, blah, blah...), and a lot more birds and butterflies.

I'm lucky in having no immediate neighbours to whine about the bomb-site look...

Our garden paths and a large area in front of the garage - you can fit 3 cars on it - are all covered with a thick layer of plum slate. All worked brilliantly at suppressing weeds for the previous owner, who only had 1 car and treated the he gardens like a showpiece. After a couple of years however, kids using the garden and the odd visitor parking on the slated area, it’s all broken up much smaller and needs regular weeding - or a dose of path clear when I can be bothered. Absolutely useless for weed suppression if you ever walk on it!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Our garden paths and a large area in front of the garage - you can fit 3 cars on it - are all covered with a thick layer of plum slate. All worked brilliantly at suppressing weeds for the previous owner, who only had 1 car and treated the he gardens like a showpiece. After a couple of years however, kids using the garden and the odd visitor parking on the slated area, it’s all broken up much smaller and needs regular weeding - or a dose of path clear when I can be bothered. Absolutely useless for weed suppression if you ever walk on it!
    Literally just flower beds for me, so what's in there won't be walked on. Fingers crossed. A ton of plum slate due tomorrow.

Should work fine as long as the slates are pretty big - looks good as well

They've arrived! Just moved half a ton from drop-off point up the garden steps. Worn out, will probably save the other half for tomorrow! Think I'll have all I need and plenty of extra.

They are quite dirty, but clean off OK. Not quite sure whether to clean them before laying (challenging!) or just get them laid and hose them off after.

If you're putting membrane down first then it might be an idea to rinse the slate before laying it, otherwise the dirt might wash down to sit on the membrane and provide a base for weeds to take hold? Maybe hose the slate in the bulk bag before laying it? Would need to do so every few shovelfuls I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    If you're putting membrane down first then it might be an idea to rinse the slate before laying it, otherwise the dirt might wash down to sit on the membrane and provide a base for weeds to take hold? Maybe hose the slate in the bulk bag before laying it? Would need to do so every few shovelfuls I guess
    Yea sounds like the smart thing to do, although logistically bit of a nightmare. I have 50 x 20kg bags, just moving the buggers is a nightmare let alone washing them. In the interest of progress I might just lay them down then hose them off. Weather awful here today so put it off until tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Excellent idea as I had skate chippings as a large pathway, which were not hosed down and the weeks from the beds of dirt on top of the membrane were relentless!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Landscaping Bark works pretty well too ... we had a plot full of nettles and ground elder, so I removed the top 18 inches of soil, added a weed membrane layer, and then replaced what I dug out with new top soil/compost to plant in, and then mulched with 50mm depth of Westland Decorative Mini-Bark. Has worked a treat so far (one year and counting)

Yea sounds like the smart thing to do, although logistically bit of a nightmare. I have 50 x 20kg bags, just moving the buggers is a nightmare let alone washing them. In the interest of progress I might just lay them down then hose them off. Weather awful here today so put it off until tomorrow.
    I used a shopping basket (must return that...)

I’ve never known a year like it for weeds, feels like painting the Forth bridge at the moment, as soon as they’re cleared they’re poking up again.