closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I’ve been on eBay since January 2000.

I do still buy stuff from it, and sometimes sell stuff - usually without major issues.

What I don’t like is that it has shifted away from being an auction site to essentially an Online classifieds site.

I don’t like the limits they put on postage costs, or thd all too often exorbitant fees. They also offer little protection for the seller so you have to send everything by RMSD of Sogned for at the very least.

I do like the sheer range of stuff on there though.

It’s a shame eBay no longer has any real competitors…
    2005 for me. Usage has ebbed and flowed, but I still like it for both buying and selling (when I can get reduced fees).

I don’t like the limits they put on postage costs, or thd all too often exorbitant fees. They also offer little protection for the seller so you have to send everything by RMSD of signed for at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Just sold an item & posted today, will report back later.
    The postage label the system populated was long way out, down £4.
    Got to PO & it didn’t cover postage, trying to cancel the postage on site, minefield.
    Finally voided postage & corrected down another £3.
    Awaiting the scammer next.
    Postage charges are entirely down to the seller. EBay do have recommendations re postage costs but they are always a way out and don’t take account of their own charges.

You can choose how to ship and how much to charge though, it just needs to be done when either creatures listing or later by editing the listing.

I don’t like the limits they put on postage costs, or thd all too often exorbitant fees. They also offer little protection for the seller so you have to send everything by RMSD of Sogned for at the very least.
    Signed for or rmsd is not required for proof of delivery. Standard first and second class for small and medium parcels have a code on the receipt which you enter in the 'add tracking' section once you post the item. Ebay will accept this as proof of delivery once royal mail tracking declares it delivered.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    The thing I miss most of all is that the payout used to go to my paypal account (which my wife doesn't have access to) and now it goes into my bank (which she does). So my secret trading / slush fund has gone. How G&D is that?! :-)
    This...... I sell some stuff...... maybe accumulate a couple of hundred and can then buy stuff without much scrutiny apart from a glare when the parcel arrives....... whomever made this change is obviously not a married man.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Signed for or rmsd is not required for proof of delivery. Standard first and second class for small and medium parcels have a code on the receipt which you enter in the 'add tracking' section once you post the item. Ebay will accept this as proof of delivery once royal mail tracking declares it delivered.
    Even easier if you purchase postage label on your sale and print the label st home; the tracking is then automatically added to the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Not at all - loads of protection for buyers on eBay.
    Yeah for sure, but nothing worth buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Even easier if you purchase postage label on your sale and print the label st home; the tracking is then automatically added to the sale.
    I know what you mean Dave. But I'm a little old school and can't be arsed going upstairs, switching the laptop and printer on, bringing up ebay, downloading the label, putting paper in the printer, printing it, then having to affix the label to the parcel when I can just write the address on the parcel off my phone and tap the code in after going to the post office. I actually find the analogue method far faster.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    This...... I sell some stuff...... maybe accumulate a couple of hundred and can then buy stuff without much scrutiny apart from a glare when the parcel arrives....... whomever made this change is obviously not a married man.......
    I suspect a wife was behind this. Last time I sold a watch (£3k I think) I had to tell the Mrs I was selling on behalf of someone else at 10% commission. So £300 stayed in the bank and £2700 went to PayPal "to send to my friend who owned the watch". She was pretty chuffed at getting an unexpected couple of hundred quid but I don't like lying to her -- and it cost me money! I can't take a 10% hit on every watch I flip, I aim to break even or slightly better but I'm not a dealer with large margins. Any profit I did make was usually soaked up by bad deals, straps / bracelets, servicing etc so it's not like I was steadily accumulating a secret and ever-increasing wealth fund. With a pool of money in paypal to play with I can trade up or down, try things out, grab a bargain, liquidate assets etc -- and all without touching the household budget. Not any more. SC for me from now on. And no BACS please!

I know what you mean Dave. But I'm a little old school and can't be arsed going upstairs, switching the laptop and printer on, bringing up ebay, downloading the label, putting paper in the printer, printing it, then having to affix the label to the parcel when I can just write the address on the parcel off my phone and tap the code in after going to the post office. I actually find the analogue method far faster.
    I use the App on my phone and have a wireless printer so it really is simple, I just go upstairs and it’s there waiting.

Usually though, I use EVRI and get a QR code which I scan at their machine and a self adhesive label is produced which just needs sticking on, then handing over the counter.

I use the App on my phone and have a wireless printer so it really is simple, I just go upstairs and it’s there waiting.

Usually though, I use EVRI and get a QR code which I scan at their machine and a self adhesive label is produced which just needs sticking on, then handing over the counter.
    Apart from the app you're about a decade ahead of me Dave :)

Apart from the app you're about a decade ahead of me Dave :)
    I was beginning to wonder if you’d made it to the 21st century yet!

Doing everything on the App does make it very simple though, it’s well worth looking into if you sell much on there.

If you want to give it a try but have any issues, feel free to drop me a pm with your mobile number and I’ll gladly assist you in any way I can.

I was beginning to wonder if you’d made it to the 21st century yet!

Doing everything on the App does make it very simple though, it’s well worth looking into if you sell much on there.

If you want to give it a try but have any issues, feel free to drop me a pm with your mobile number and I’ll gladly assist you in any way I can.
    I'm fine Dave, thanks for the offer. I do everything on the app except print labels basically. Labelling and adding tracking numbers on ten or so parcels on posting day takes a max of 15 minutes, my printer goes months at a time without being used so financially getting a wireless printer set up doesn't make sense for my circumstances either.

I must admit, I very seldom print out labels at home but the EVRI option is actually very good. There are machines in every Tesco Express amongst others, and will soon also be in every post office too.

It really is worth giving it a try, if only once. Just click print label, open Packlink and take it from there. I can almost guarantee that once you’ve tried it you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it ages ago.

Has anyone been selling on ebay this year and used the free collection service from RM?
    I have and very useful it is too.
    I sold a couple of bike parts over the weekend and bought/printed off an ebay RM label as usual but when i requested a collection i got the message `this item is not available for collection`.

Has the offer of free RM collection now ended with ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Has anyone been selling on ebay this year and used the free collection service from RM?
    I have and very useful it is too.
    I sold a couple of bike parts over the weekend and bought/printed off an ebay RM label as usual but when i requested a collection i got the message `this item is not available for collection`.

Has the offer of free RM collection now ended with ebay?
    Royal Mail themselves are offering free collecting; I had two items picked up this very morning. The only thing you have to do is copy n paste the RM tracking number into your eBay account orders list.
    Last edited by unclealec; 4th September 2023 at 18:57.

Master
    worth noting RMSD will also bring address labels when they collect if you require .

Can someone explain feedback score for this seller?

Thought number after user name (7 here) was feedback as buyer and seller but they’ve a lot more than this.

What happened to eBay?

The feedback number by his name is feedback as a seller (I’m assuming you are the buyer?)

The total feedback is as a buyer and seller but if you’re buying, only the sellers feedback as a seller shows.

I would assume that if you’re selling then only the buyers buying feedback will show too.

The feedback number by his name is feedback as a seller (I’m assuming you are the buyer?)

The total feedback is as a buyer and seller but if you’re buying, only the sellers feedback as a seller shows.

I would assume that if you’re selling then only the buyers buying feedback will show too.
    I've sold something to them, so I'm the seller(?).

Surely though, if I click 'Received as buyer', 'Received as seller' etc I should see the appropriate feedback (and there is none as seller...)?

I would have thought so, have you looked?

The other possibility is that’s his buying feedback (or possibly total feedback) for the last twelve months.

Other than that, I don’t know.

What happened to eBay?

I would have thought so, have you looked?

The other possibility is that’s his buying feedback (or possibly total feedback) for the last twelve months.

Other than that, I don’t know.
    No, they only joined in September.

Sold something but they won't contact to arrange pickup. Think I'll have to cancel order.

Edit - joined August not September but still managed to buy >80 items, virtually all from BHF.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 5th September 2023 at 15:44.

I’d hold on a little while, having only just joined, they’re probably trying to figure out how things work and will be in touch.

What happened to eBay?

Another possibility is that multiple feedback posts from one other source only count as one feedback.

I have nearly 1800 total feedback but it only counts as just over 1660.

Master
    Selling on Ebay is like travelling on Ryanair, so long as you follow the process exactly as they want you're OK. If not, it gets expensive and annoying.