closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Air fryers

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, I know that and there's not set temperatures on mine.
    i can't try Sous Vide in mine yet anyway, as i've not got the vacuum device and plastic bag sealer.

trip to amazon will be needed.

(I fancy trying it after all the hype.... i'm sure it must achieve very tender meat joints )

Master
    Just made this delicious Chicken Saag in about 20 mins
    Chicken saag by biglewie, on Flickr

Air fryers

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Just made this delicious Chicken Saag in about 20 mins
    In an air fryer? Struggling with the fryer bit when making a saag.

Your saag looks good - is that using the air fryer function or the sauté function? It would take a similar amount of time on the hob though.

Master
    Sauté and pressure cook

Master
    I eat with my eyes, but sorry that looks awful.

The whole cooking and charring of a curry base with flavours then added.

Please share the recipe as I am amazed it tasted like a proper BIR curry.

Hate to be negative, but wow, it hard.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I eat with my eyes, but sorry that looks awful.

The whole cooking and charring of a curry base with flavours then added.

Please share the recipe as I am amazed it tasted like a proper BIR curry.

Hate to be negative, but wow, it hard.
    Can’t quite make sense of your reply
    https://pipingpotcurry.com/chicken-s...essure-cooker/
    Last edited by lewie; 14th January 2023 at 22:41.

Master
    We have three Ninjas in our household. The wife is to cook a beef joint in the oven and honestly, I think saddle leather would have been softer.
    She now slow cooks it in the Ninja and it’s the softest meat I’ve ate anywhere. It just falls apart in your mouth.
    Huge fan of the Ninja here.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Since I posted above, I've tried some other food in my Consori AF.

Chicken breasts marinated in a little olive oil with herbs, salt and pepper were delicious, moist inside with a crispy exterior. Some carrots splashed with a tiny amount of olive oil, were also lovely.

Spam fritters, yes a special treat, were crispy but over cooked and dry. They really need to be swimming in grease to be tasty. ;) The AF is too healthy a cooking method.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

My Ninja has a dehydration setting, anyone tried it? Jerky maybe?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Well my foray into the world of air fryers didn't last long, as it will be going back tomorrow.

As an air fryer, it was mighty impressive, but the 'pressure cook' function just didn't work at all, ie the lid would just not seal, meaning I just don't trust it to what what it should do, meaning I cant leave it to just get on with it.

I think I must have had a duff one, so will try another and see how it goes.
    (Before anyone says, there was PLENTY of water in it).

It was the Ninja SmartLid '11-in-1' version.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/ninja-food...er-6l/p5643606

Does anyone else have the same one?
    Have you had any issues?
    Last edited by Maysie; 18th January 2023 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Well my foray into the world of air fryers didn't last long, as it will be going back tomorrow.

As an air fryer, it was mighty impressive, but the 'pressure cook' function just didn't work at all, ie the lid would just not seal, meaning I just don't trust it to what what it should do, meaning I cant leave it to just get on with it.

I think I must have had a duff one, so will try another and see how it goes.
    (Before anyone says, there was PLENTY of water in it).

It was the Ninja SmartLid '11-in-1' version.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/ninja-food...er-6l/p5643606

Does anyone else have the same one?
    Have you had any issues?
    I've got the 15 in 1 which has similar design lid.

Can take a while to get to pressure, needs probably minimum 400ml liquid. Make sure 'valve' is to the back, maybe try removing seal and reseat?

Master
    Fir me the pressure cook is the greatest part of these-
    JL are excellent at exchanges

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My Ninja has a dehydration setting, anyone tried it? Jerky maybe?
    Not got one of those, but I do have a dehydrator.

The jerky it/I produced was really good, and I used to make large batches of it for myself and my nephew.

But - you sit down before dinner with a beer and some jerky, and before you know it - you’ve scarfed down a whole steak BEFORE dinner!

I have stopped drying meat, mango, apple, chillies for now as the electricity consumption is a tad high for (say) 4-6hrs of non-recirc air heating (albeit the hot air enters the kitchen and the kitchen air gets drawn in to the dehydrator again.)

I’ll look out the recipe I use for the jerky though.

Scavenging in the fridge for lunch earlier, hmmm. One and a half mini peshwari naans, Lidl tomato & Italian cheese spread, provolone cheese, wild boar salami, more provolone, Italian seasoning & garlic granules, pop in Cosori . . . yup, very tasty.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not got one of those, but I do have a dehydrator.

The jerky it/I produced was really good, and I used to make large batches of it for myself and my nephew.

But - you sit down before dinner with a beer and some jerky, and before you know it - you’ve scarfed down a whole steak BEFORE dinner!

I have stopped drying meat, mango, apple, chillies for now as the electricity consumption is a tad high for (say) 4-6hrs of non-recirc air heating (albeit the hot air enters the kitchen and the kitchen air gets drawn in to the dehydrator again.)

I’ll look out the recipe I use for the jerky though.
    Thanks, I used to make my own Biltong so I completely agree with the overindulge comment!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Can take a while to get to pressure, needs probably minimum 400ml liquid. Make sure 'valve' is to the back, maybe try removing seal and reseat?
    I’ve did the same with ours the first time. The valve is automatic when facing in one direction, but turned the wrong way it just stays open.

Ordered a new stainless pot for my 15-in-1 today as the original isn't very robust (many reviews mention the coating flaking) plus is good to have a spare and Ninja is perpetually out of stock.

Crazily is cheaper from US, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086ZY9ZC8/, even after tax and postage, than here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Scavenging in the fridge for lunch earlier, hmmm. One and a half mini peshwari naans, Lidl tomato & Italian cheese spread, provolone cheese, wild boar salami, more provolone, Italian seasoning & garlic granules, pop in Cosori . . . yup, very tasty.

Nice work sir.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Thanks, I used to make my own Biltong so I completely agree with the overindulge comment!
    I have moved my biltong drier to the garage as I just find I consume a kilo of premium steak if it is sitting there - I love it!

looks delicious.

what make is that knife ? the Damascus cutting edge looks beautiful.

Master
    We had an Eve’s pudding to heat up tonight so tried the Cosori rather than use the oven. 9 mins in there rather than 15 mins in the oven and reheated a treat. As it was in a foil tray no need to clean the Cosori tray either.

That looks delicious.

At a much lower culinary level, this morning I popped a stale roll into my AF and gave it three minutes on the preheat setting. It rejuvenated it to produce a lovely crisp roll ready for some apricot jam.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoPantera View Post
    looks delicious.

what make is that knife ? the Damascus cutting edge looks beautiful.

It's a Blue #2 santoku from Hatsukokoro Kumokage. You'll find a link to where I bought it in this thread , post #30.
    F.T.F.A.

Fried eggs with the weekend brekky? Still a yummy option of course. However I tried a new egg variant last weekend. Oil a couple of ramekins, beat up a couple of eggs, season to taste, put some grated mature Red Leicester, chopped up spring onions greens and diced black pud in the ramekins, pour on the eggs, sprinkle smoked paprika on top, pop in the Cosori and . . .

Of course you can leave out the black pud and have it on the side with sriracha baked beans . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    The eggs look great. I’ve been playing with baked eggs in mine but they never come out the ramekins, regardless of how much oiling.

Did sausages last night in mine, for the first time - bloody brilliant result from the AF.

Master
    The eggs look great. I’ve been playing with baked eggs in mine but they never come out the ramekins, regardless of how much oiling.

Did sausages last night in mine, for the first time - bloody brilliant result from the AF.
    Would silicone containers work?

I have a similar recipe but I cook a slice of bacon at the bottom for a few minutes before adding the egg mixture.

Plenty of delicious bacon grease to help it slide out.

Edit - chorizo also works great.

Unfortunately I have tried all of that, several times now. I have even tried it with just water in it, as per the 'pressure test' they recommend in the instruction manual.
    It runs through all the motions and then just has steam pouring out everywhere, followed by the 'NO PRESSURE' FAULT CODE.

When it arrived, a couple of the internal screws were clearly not done up properly, so I think it may have just been a 'Friday afternoon' version. Either way, I don't trust it, so JL are collecting it and I will buy another one, probably the larger version when it comes back in stock.

Thanks for the tip though.

Fir me the pressure cook is the greatest part of these-
    JL are excellent at exchanges
    Agreed. No quibble at all.

Which is one of the reasons why I will wait for the new (larger) replacement to come back into stock with them.
    Free 2 year warranty too (ie one extra year).

Master
    Interesting you say that, found a box of things in the cupboard that I bought as accessories for the fryer. One of those is some egg cup type things, so will try it out.

Failing that bacon or chorizo would I’ll be attempted instead, as that’s a great addition.

It's a Blue #2 santoku from Hatsukokoro Kumokage. You'll find a link to where I bought it in this thread , post #30.
    Thanks, will check out post 30.

Also like the look of those eggs in ramekins you did. by coincidence I fritatas in my Russell Hobbs last weekend, which were basically the same, but with sliced boiled potatoes, and bacon too. was very good. (can't photo as i've eaten it now!!)

Yes you can use Silicone containers in an air fryer.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Anyone have experience of this microwave/air fryer? I've got limited space in my kitchen and would love an air fryer, so thinking this might be a good compromise.

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en...es/bmo870.html
    We have this at home. I would say it is just okay. We have only used it a handful of times in the year that we have owned it for air frying. The chips we done seem to take as long as in the oven. But the wings we done were good. One thing to bear in mind it does not go below 200 degrees so that me be an issue for some recipes. I would say it does air fry but does have its compromises and not sure if it is as energy saving as a dedicated machine.

Journeyman
    Has anybody who has the instapot used there’s for slow cooking? We got one at Christmas and used it for the first time the other day. The slow cooker did not seem to heat up at all, I am not sure if it is a fault or me just being impatient. However we swapped to pressure cooking and that does seem to work okay.

We are looking forward to dehydrating as well so working our way through the 15 functions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    Has anybody who has the instapot used there’s for slow cooking? We got one at Christmas and used it for the first time the other day. The slow cooker did not seem to heat up at all, I am not sure if it is a fault or me just being impatient. However we swapped to pressure cooking and that does seem to work okay.

We are looking forward to dehydrating as well so working our way through the 15 functions.
    Yes I’ve used mine a couple of times
    I used a glass lid I had that fitted loosely as opposed to the pressure cook lid
    You can turn it up to high by pressing slow cook button again

I give you . . .

The Air Fryer Toastie.

Butter your bread all 4 sides (butter provided by Mrs.mag via her Kilner hand churner), apply mature Somerset cheddar and chopped onions . . .

Assemble [ ;-) ] with cocktail sticks to stop sliding apart . . .

Et voilà . . .

Yum!
    F.T.F.A.

Technical question please regarding this post...

How did you create this blue text with links to the other post / website, as ive tried and can't get it to work.

Thanks

PS the toastie below looks very tasty

I give you . . .

The Air Fryer Toastie.

Assemble [ ;-) ] with cocktail sticks to stop sliding apart . . .

Yum!
    Yup - that is an important step!

I might try a croque madame in mine tomorrow or sunday.

Master
    Home made garlic bread tonight. French stick sliced up, single face of slice spread with garlic, butter and parsley mix. 3-4 mins @ 180C. Comes out lovely. Much nicer than the ones you buy in store bagged up.

Master
    Honey mustard chicken tonight
    Honey mustard chicken by biglewie, on Flickr

Any breakdown of the recipe/process?

Master
    I followed this recipe- 1/2ed for 1 - few beans added as I’m not really that good at eating veg
    https://littlesunnykitchen.com/insta...stard-chicken/

I followed this recipe- 1/2ed for 1 - few beans added as I’m not really that good at eating veg
    https://littlesunnykitchen.com/insta...stard-chicken/
    Ah, okay - it's more pressure cooker than air fryer................... I did wonder where the saving was.

Looks good, mind!

looks very tasty, but not sure you need an airfryer for that, as looks like reheating the cooked ingredients in a pan would do the job.

Master
    looks very tasty, but not sure you need an airfryer for that, as looks like reheating the cooked ingredients in a pan would do the job.
    Im lost
    Cooked from raw in an 11 in 1 instant pot - raw chicken and raw veggies

It's a pressure-cooker recipe.......................

For those who have a multi-function machine.

Journeyman

Air fryers

Yes I’ve used mine a couple of times
    I used a glass lid I had that fitted loosely as opposed to the pressure cook lid
    You can turn it up to high by pressing slow cook button again
    Thank you for taking the time to answer I appreciate some real experiences. Yes we had it on high as that is what the recipe stated. We left it for about an hour and it was still only what I would call room temperature. The manual also says the count down timer will start when up to temp however ours still remained in preheat and countdown started almost instantly.

I give you . . .

The Air Fryer Toastie.
    Et voilà . . .

Yum!
    Seeing this encouraged me to take the plunge and buy one today, looking forward to using it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Seeing this encouraged me to take the plunge and buy one today, looking forward to using it.
    Jon that will keep you busy