closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ROLEX DATO COMPAX Jean-Claude Killy

ROLEX DATO COMPAX Jean-Claude Killy

Saw this in a shop in the Argyle Arcade in Glasgow a few months ago - I think it was the price that took my attention !

Rolex Dato Compax Jean-Claude Killy

Had never heard of the model before, but looked it up..........................

From the article below:
    "Jean-Claude Killy is a French Olympic skiing champion famed for winning three alpine events at the 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble. He also went on to become a movie star, car racing driver, entrepreneur and helicopter pilot, but that’s a while other story. The Jean-Claude Killy Rolex came in five iterations: the reference 4768, 4767, 5036, 6036 and 6236 (or four references, depending on which auction house you’re talking to: Sotheby’s haven’t included the 4768 in their reference to this watch). These references are all triple calendar Rolex chronographs that were produced in small runs between the late 50s and early 60s. The Rolex Jean-Claude Killy (“JCK”) is also often referred to as the Dato-Compax. “Dato” meaning “date” in Italian, and “compax” indicating that the watch’s movement complications."

https://www.pomelowatches.com/featur...n-claude-killy

Last edited by blackal; 4th November 2022 at 14:39.

Master
    I think there’s another thread about the same watch, admittedly it was ages ago.

Here we go.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...lly-Chrongraph

Asking 25k more too��
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 4th November 2022 at 14:38.

Thanks for the link - a whole heap of info on that thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Thanks for the link - a whole heap of info on that thread!
    Why do I remember random stuff like this yet I can’t remember if I fed the dog or not this lunchtime?

Master
    The prices in that shop are complete pie in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Aye, and unbelievably that Rolex it's still there.
    Last edited by j111dja; 4th November 2022 at 19:34.

ROLEX DATO COMPAX Jean-Claude Killy

Haaaaaaaa ha ha ha.

Can you imagine someone paying that?

Just get “- I am a twonk” - tattooed on your forehead. Much cheaper. Same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Agreed. But take a watch in for outright sale and you may be surprised how low the offer from them is. To be fair they are all like this - my recent dealings with various companies that feature on YouTube is similar with most only wanting to consign the watch and earning a significant amount through basically negotiating a private sale.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Reposting my story here about that watch:

I have an interesting (and slightly depressing) story about that particular watch.

I saw it pop up on eBay one morning in July 2013 (I've checked back on my emails) for £5,000, with £5 postage. It was located n Angus. Listing title: simply "rolex". I was a wee lad and only 5/6 months into my watch collecting journey, having bought a speedmaster for 1800 a few months prior. Still, I thought it looked like a few models I'd seen selling for much more so I clicked "buy it now" and won it.

Looking more closely, I noticed the incorrect leaf hands and the damaged dial. Being a young collector without much knowledge, and combined with a very vague eBay listing it freaked me out - instinctively, I was worried that it was fake or a bitsa. And 5k was a lot of money at the time - GMTs were still going for 2.5k. I politely asked the seller to cancel the sale and apologised for the inconvenience.

I've often thought about that watch over the last 8 years, and check "Killy" models that come up for sale for the damaged dial and rusted "leaf" hands - I'd recognise it anywhere.

Now here it is! Quite amazing to see it pop up out of the blue. Quite close to where the seller was based in 2013, too.

I don't think it's worth anywhere near the price they're asking. Still, if only I'd had a bit more knowledge and completed the sale. I may well have a made a bit of cash...

A very interesting anecdote to the journey that watch has made.