closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: excessive gear lash

Journeyman

excessive gear lash

What can cause that if I set the time on my Sellita SW200 in forward direction so that the hour hand does hit the index deadly, the minute hand stands 2 minutes advance. But if I set it backwards both hit the index spot on.
    However regardless which way the time is set, while running, the minute hand is definitely ahead a bit by that 2 minutes as described above. See pic about the phenomenon.
    As per my understanding it might be caused by gear lash but is that normal even in this amount?
    And how can it be fixed, just disassembling the watch, take the minute hand off then repositioned a bit further back?
    Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernArrow10 View Post
    What can cause that if I set the time on my Sellita SW200 in forward direction so that the hour hand does hit the index deadly, the minute hand stands 2 minutes advance. But if I set it backwards both hit the index spot on.
    However regardless which way the time is set, while running, the minute hand is definitely ahead a bit by that 2 minutes as described above. See pic about the phenomenon.
    As per my understanding it might be caused by gear lash but is that normal even in this amount?
    And how can it be fixed, just disassembling the watch, take the minute hand off then repositioned a bit further back?
    Thanks.
    Yup looks like the hands have been put on in a slapdash fashion when the watch was made (or possibly when it was serviced). If you bought it new recently, take it back and complain. (If I've understood what you mean correctly - I don't really understand the bit about hitting the index spot on when setting backwards, but then immediately gets out of alignment).

Grand Master
    Can’t open the picture, but it sounds like the minute hand has been put on slightly out of alignment. What is described as backlash is normal, but if hands are moved in the forward direction ( simulates the situation when the movement is running) the hr and minute hand should align perfectly at 12. A better test is to check at 6, the hr hand should point exactly to 6 with the minute hand pointing to 12. However, discrepancies in dial production and the dial feet can cause discrepancies, in which case the best compromise has to be reached when fitting the minute hand. I do this regularly when refitting hands and dials, fitting the hands can take time to get the best result, that’s the bit the owner sees!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can’t open the picture, but it sounds like the minute hand has been put on slightly out of alignment. What is described as backlash is normal, but if hands are moved in the forward direction ( simulates the situation when the movement is running) the hr and minute hand should align perfectly at 12. A better test is to check at 6, the hr hand should point exactly to 6 with the minute hand pointing to 12. However, discrepancies in dial production and the dial feet can cause discrepancies, in which case the best compromise has to be reached when fitting the minute hand. I do this regularly when refitting hands and dials, fitting the hands can take time to get the best result, that’s the bit the owner sees!
    Can you access the photo now?
    https://imgur.com/a/bCdipOM

That is the situation when I set time forward, if do it backward both aligned the index spot on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Yup looks like the hands have been put on in a slapdash fashion when the watch was made (or possibly when it was serviced). If you bought it new recently, take it back and complain. (If I've understood what you mean correctly - I don't really understand the bit about hitting the index spot on when setting backwards, but then immediately gets out of alignment).
    I mean if I set time by moving the hands backward both hands can line up straight to indices not causing the situation you can see on the picture when I set time forward.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It just looks like the hand was put on at one extreme of lash and in action it ends up at the other. However, the sort of lash you are talking about is usually seen in chronographs where there are a lot of gears and cogs between some of the hands. In this case, the number and cogs and wheels between the two (in which the two are independently powered isn't that great as can be seen from this slice of the Sellita manual:

The power for the motion works comes from the going train to 242. The cog in the centre of 242 (under the mount for the minute hand) engages with the wheel of 260, turning the inner cog which engages with the wheel of 255. This carries the mount for the hour hand. This small 'gearbox' manages the 12 to 1 reduction between the hours and minutes That's only two sets of teeth interacting and really shouldn't have that sort of play in a modern movement.
    Last edited by M4tt; 12th September 2022 at 22:51.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    It just looks like the hand was put on at one extreme of lash and in action it ends up at the other - so it looks like an error in construction or servicing. Refitting the hand correctly is a fairly minor job.
    so I had better to bring to a watchmaker for refitting the hands. must not be a brain surgery so don't need to find an authorised ML service point to do that?
    it doesn't looks like a faulty piece so I should send it back to the AD, does it?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    It just looks like the hand was put on at one extreme of lash and in action it ends up at the other. However, the sort of lash you are talking about is usually seen in chronographs where there are a lot of gears and cogs between some of the hands. In this case, the number and cogs and wheels between the two (in which the two are independently powered isn't that great as can be seen from this slice of the Sellita manual:

The power for the motion works comes from the going train to 242. The cog in the centre of 242 (under the mount for the minute hand) engages with the wheel of 260, turning the inner cog which engages with the wheel of 255. This carries the mount for the hour hand. This small 'gearbox' manages the 12 to 1 reduction between the hours and minutes That's only two sets of teeth interacting and really shouldn't have that sort of play in a modern movement.
    sorry I'm a bit confused. so is it considered normal or just I should send it back for repair?

.my new band name...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernArrow10 View Post
    sorry I'm a bit confused. so is it considered normal or just I should send it back for repair?
    I'd send it back. Sorry you obviously caught my initial response, before I thought about it. Refitting the hand at the other end of the lash would brush the issue under the carpet, but it shouldn't be anywhere near that bad.
    Last edited by M4tt; 12th September 2022 at 23:29.