closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Climbing

Master

Climbing

As I've not been diving for months (it's cold, oh so cold) I started indoor climbing last month.
    It's been about, eek, 30 years since I last did that and abseiling. Oh my aching arms, legs, back, hands, feet...

I'd like to think if there's a chart of age->injuries->weight->not as flexible as the bloody young whippets that go there I've still got it :)

Any one else into that?

And, er, what watch do you wear /watchuseek...

It's high, but not space high, so the Speedy is out. A diver feels wrong. Must be an Everest/Expedition, or an Explorer II if in the bouldering cave area...

I went through a phase of indoor climbing and bouldering lots a few years ago - covid shutdown stopped me going and have barely been back since for various reasons. When I was climbing lots it was clear that the people who all but live at the wall (and/or start really young) tend to be the epic climbers. A lot of it is practicing technique and adapting your body - I’m definitely nowhere near as good now as I was pre pandemic.

As for watches - I’d go bare wristed. Most walls have clocks and I wouldn’t want to scratch up or worse get an injury from snagging a watch. I tried using my garmin’s indoor climbing mode once, but the stats didn’t add anything to the experience and it was a massive faff to enter the route grade and remember to start and stop it each time.

Master
    I was half joking about the watch ;)

Saying that, Apple Watch, still reaches my phone in the locker so can ring for help while I'm stuck at the top not looking down.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    I was half joking about the watch ;)

Saying that, Apple Watch, still reaches my phone in the locker so can ring for help while I'm stuck at the top not looking down.
    Ha! Very good. Saying that an old guy used to boulder at the same wall as me - he was very capable on the wall and always wore a newish looking explorer 1.

My daughter and son-in-law are very keen sport climbers and boulderers, both indoors and outdoors. I have been with them a few times over the years and really enjoy it and can easily see how it could become quite addictive.

During the various times that I have had a go, my weight has varied by about 12lb. It was certainly noticeable to me that it was easier at the times I was lighter.

As to what watch to wear, I recall that for my first go I had carefully selected a watch. Well obviously an Explorer. My daughter shook her head and instructed me to remove it. Not due to the prospect of scratching it, but due to the risk of snagging it.😀

I always used to remove my watch (Datejust) when scampering about on the Black Cuillin. Gabbro and Rolex don't mix.
    F.T.F.A.

Serious risk of de-gloving your hand (or one of many other horrible injuries) with a watch on I would have thought. I certainly never wore a watch while climbing.

Master
    Certainly something to never ever Google :(
    I've had a fear of that for ever, don't wear a ring on the off-chance I turn in to the Terminator showing off his hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I always used to remove my watch (Datejust) when scampering about on the Black Cuillin. Gabbro and Rolex don't mix.
    Had probably my best ever day climbing doing the Cullin ridge in July, very many years ago. Epic.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

It’s called ‘de gloving’ and its gross.
    I used to wear my trusty Omega Seamaster on outdoor multi pitch climbs sometimes, wouldn’t now though.
    It’s a great sport and hobby and I love indoor climbing.
    Best to remove the watch though
    Good luck and keep at it

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Serious risk of de-gloving your hand (or one of many other horrible injuries) with a watch on I would have thought. I certainly never wore a watch while climbing.
    Must be one bloody strong set of springbars 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Must be one bloody strong set of springbars 😂😂
    Fair point though it would depend very much on the watch/strap and the angle it gets caught at. Can imagine if it’s a bracelet and the load is in line with the spring bars then the spring bars will hold as they will be taking little strain. And of course if it’s a nato then the spring bars will be irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I certainly never wore a watch while climbing.
    Ditto.

I always took my wedding ring off too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57