closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would I need any special permission to have this wall built ?

Would I need any special permission to have this wall built ?

I have a drive at the side of my bungalow and I fancy having a section of it covered in to keep a bike in and possible even a motorbike (wishful thinking) it is block paved and there is a one brick high wall on my boundary and my neighbors fence is next to it.

Would I be allowed to build the wall up to say 7' or 8' without any sort of permission or would I need planning as in extension and put something like PVC corrugated sheet for a roof and use the bungalows guttering for drainage.

Where are you Tiger?
    If you are in the USA, Trump Corp. will build it for you and get the neighbours to pay.

Or if you want a serious answer....

I would take a long hard look at the footing that the one-brick wall is on. You will probably have to rip it all up and start again with proper footings.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Where are you Tiger?
    If you are in the USA, Trump Corp. will build it for you and get the neighbours to pay.
    I should be so lucky :)

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Or if you want a serious answer....

I would take a long hard look at the footing that the one-brick wall is on. You will probably have to rip it all up and start again with proper footings.
    We are on a bit of a hill and the bottom of the neighbors fence is about two foot below that one brick wall so there could be footings, I have never looked but I will now, thanks.

I’d ring the duty planning officer at your local authority for proper advice. But any wall on a boundary cannot usually exceed 2.0m/6 foot 6 inches in old money unless pp is sought. If you keep it as an ancillary building less than 2.4m high and less than 30sq.m. Gross you would be allowed it under the General Development Order under Permitted Development as long as it’s behind the building line and a little off the boundary. As was said before, the; for what in all intents and purposes is a brick on edge kerb, is highly unlikely to have a proper foundation, most likely a small concrete bed and haunching. I very much doubt you’d be able to build off it. If you do a 1 brick thick wall it will need 2x2 brick piers every 3m max for stability and dependant on area and sub-soil, you’ll need a foundation of at least 450mm wide by at the very least 750mm deep. This foundation cannot encroach on your neighbours property so your wall be inset around 117.5mm inset from the boundary to the outer face. Ie. Centred over the foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I’d ring the duty planning officer at your local authority for proper advice. But any wall on a boundary cannot usually exceed 2.0m/6 foot 6 inches in old money unless pp is sought. If you keep it as an ancillary building less than 2.4m high and less than 30sq.m. Gross you would be allowed it under the General Development Order under Permitted Development as long as it’s behind the building line and a little off the boundary. As was said before, the; for what in all intents and purposes is a brick on edge kerb, is highly unlikely to have a proper foundation, most likely a small concrete bed and haunching. I very much doubt you’d be able to build off it. If you do a 1 brick thick wall it will need 2x2 brick piers every 3m max for stability and dependant on area and sub-soil, you’ll need a foundation of at least 450mm wide by at the very least 750mm deep. This foundation cannot encroach on your neighbours property so your wall be inset around 117.5mm inset from the boundary to the outer face. Ie. Centred over the foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I imagine it could get complicated, plan B is to buy one of those small plastic sheds and use that, easier but not ideal.

Why not build a timber structure to support the roof - use twin wall polycarbonate as the roof material (the corrugated stuff is quite temporary) and fix one side to the wall of your house -
    Using timber uprights would be sufficient as the roof would be light enough not to need a brick wall with foundations.

Journeyman
    Just a heads up that if you are building that close to your neighbours’ house you might need to comply with the Party Wall Act procedure (unless they consent to the build) as well as getting planning permission. That will depend on how deep your foundation go and how close your wall will be to theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Why not build a timber structure to support the roof - use twin wall polycarbonate as the roof material (the corrugated stuff is quite temporary) and fix one side to the wall of your house -
    Using timber uprights would be sufficient as the roof would be light enough not to need a brick wall with foundations.
    I would be thinking of something like this. Those felt shingle rooves on timber are pretty light too. Depending on the weight you might even be able to cantilever or support it diagonally off the wall so no uprights hindering access.

Master
    My son and my daughter in law are both local councillors and their biggest and most time consuming activity is dealing with requests from very upset citizens whose neighbours has slapped up a shed or wall without discussing it with them. The main problem is that what looks OK to one neighbour is an eyesore to the other.

It would be best to discuss this in absolute detail with the neighbour and only erect what they are reasonably happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My son and my daughter in law are both local councillors and their biggest and most time consuming activity is dealing with requests from very upset citizens whose neighbours has slapped up a shed or wall without discussing it with them. The main problem is that what looks OK to one neighbour is an eyesore to the other.

It would be best to discuss this in absolute detail with the neighbour and only erect what they are reasonably happy with.
    In an ideal world populated by normal and well-adjusted people that would indeed be the case.

I will never forget when I extended my first home, bought originally as a tiny unconverted Manx cottage. I made a point of showing the plans to the couple next door before submitting them, and spent an hour with them during which there was much nodding, smiling and “oh that will be lovely” and “no problem for us” on their part.

When the plans were submitted they sent in a list of objections as long as your arm, all spurious and vexatious. They included disturbance to their peace while building works were ongoing, ground disturbance possibly affecting the stability of their house (25 feet away and no significant excavation beyond normal footings) and the choice one- possible disturbance of the roots of the giant weed, sorry sycamore, that sat in the middle of their garden.

Thankfully the plans were approved despite their objections and the project was built. I never bothered discussing later improvements with them before submitting for planning approval.

Master
    Only problem would be neighbours asking how they would have access to the side of their property for maintenance issues but considering they have built that im sure they will be understanding enough to let you do similar.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Only problem would be neighbours asking how they would have access to the side of their property for maintenance issues but considering they have built that im sure they will be understanding enough to let you do similar.
    The neighbours fence would certainly present a potential problem and so would need to be discussed and agreed with them - would it need to be removed, if it's left in situ how would they maintain it etc. I suspect that their fence post foundations may encroach over the boundary as they would otherwise have little to no support on your side.

Something like this?

No connection to the company - 'random' image from Google search.

I think you'd be subject to an overall height limit of 2.5m.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Something like this?

No connection to the company - 'random' image from Google search.

I think you'd be subject to an overall height limit of 2.5m.
    Some interesting stuff on their website!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I think not, however I would first discuss with your neighbour as if anyone was to complain it would be them.

However an alternative solution (and possibly cheaper) given your requirement, might to build it using a couple of concrete posts, with Cedar cladding to create the wall, with a lightweight Perspex, etc, roof. Just make sure you use adequate and sufficient joists to stop your roof blowing away.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    In an ideal world populated by normal and well-adjusted people that would indeed be the case.

I will never forget when I extended my first home, bought originally as a tiny unconverted Manx cottage. I made a point of showing the plans to the couple next door before submitting them, and spent an hour with them during which there was much nodding, smiling and “oh that will be lovely” and “no problem for us” on their part.

When the plans were submitted they sent in a list of objections as long as your arm, all spurious and vexatious. They included disturbance to their peace while building works were ongoing, ground disturbance possibly affecting the stability of their house (25 feet away and no significant excavation beyond normal footings) and the choice one- possible disturbance of the roots of the giant weed, sorry sycamore, that sat in the middle of their garden.

Thankfully the plans were approved despite their objections and the project was built. I never bothered discussing later improvements with them before submitting for planning approval.
    Bonkers.

I can also add a personal example of just how bizarre some people's behaviour can be around this kind of thing.

Soon after moving into our current home we applied for permission to build a two story double garage in the grounds. There were no objections from anyone (and the nearest neighbour to the side of our property is the offices of a local developer).

Plans were approved, so we went ahead and built it.

Then came a complaint from a house nearly 150 metres away (I kid you not, I measured it), far on the other side of the offices, and then beyond a small field, that the perhaps six feet of the top of the roof was affecting their view and light. It was literally beyond absurd, and fortunately the complaint went nowhere as we had followed due process.

But it just goes to show how bonkers some people can be.

Moral - don't assume anything when building or extending - check and get full approval every step of the way. A mistake or shortcut can be very expensive.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Some interesting stuff on their website!
    That would devalue both yours and the neighbours house immediately, it is just plain cheap trash. The translucent roof means that you would have to wash it on a regular basis as it would show every spec of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Bonkers.

I can also add a personal example of just how bizarre some people's behaviour can be around this kind of thing.

Soon after moving into our current home we applied for permission to build a two story double garage in the grounds. There were no objections from anyone (and the nearest neighbour to the side of our property is the offices of a local developer).

Then came a complaint from a house nearly 150 metres away (I kid you not, I measured it), far on the other side of the offices, and then beyond a small field, that the perhaps six feet of the top of the roof was affecting their view and light. It was literally beyond absurd, and fortunately the complaint went nowhere as we had followed due process.

Moral - don't assume anything when building or extending - check and get full approval every step of the way. A mistake or shortcut can be very expensive.
    That reminds me Alex- a few years ago I got planning approval to build another storey and raise parapet heights in Malta. When the building works started the neighbours to the back actually called the police! They followed that up with a lawyer's letter telling us to demolish it. Needless to say our lawyer’s reply told them to get lost and that was the end of it. Idiots...

That would devalue both yours and the neighbours house immediately, it is just plain cheap trash. The translucent roof means that you would have to wash it on a regular basis as it would show every spec of dirt.
    To be fair the same goes for any glazed roof whatever the material.

I'd just get a decent quality shed up. Easier with planning or may not even need it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Wouldn't sticking a shed in the driveway block access to the rear of the house and garden?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Wouldn't sticking a shed in the driveway block access to the rear of the house and garden?
    Not if you put a door in both ends!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'd just get a decent quality shed up. Easier with planning or may not even need it.
    Thats what i'm thinking, no foundations needed and easier to remove/dismantle at anytime in the future if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Bonkers.

Spot on. Always remember that what one LA Planner considers as reasonable another authority may object too. Planning follows no inter authority agreement!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What the hell is that beside the fence? Is that your neighbors house? Looks like it's 4" away from the fence

Even if you built the wall to that metal gate/fence thing in the background. He's not even going to notice the wall

That house so close is a bigger eyesore in my opinion

DON

Blog Entries
    I know you're the well known for being an arbiter of good taste, but I was simply referring to some of their solutions on their website.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.