closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does one need to spend at an AD to obtain a GMT Batman/Pepsi?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Totally agree.

In the current environment, trying to buy a new Rolex from an AD is a difficult thing to do.

The MO is now Rolex send the watch to the AD and then the AD sells to the grey dealer who sells to the customer at the market rate.

This suits Rolex, the AD, the grey dealer and the customer who has just bought a good watch.

The only person complaining is someone who wants to pay the artificially low RRP below the market value.

So if you want to buy a new Rolex - get ye to the grey dealer and do the deal. It's as simple as that.
    Are you Paul Thorpe?

OP should know better than to ask this or similar questions here.
    Rarely will any useful information ever be forthcoming.
    Some so called experts with ‘inside info’ will tout their usual bull.
    Sad people with Rolex ass-burns will come to pour scorn on you and tell you how this is pathetic, abusive blah blah.
    There will be some pieces of truth in some answers but will be hard to separate the chaff from the grain.
    I am no expert but I do feel the wait lists are a myth and also the allotment is random and there is no formula. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time and coming across the right sales person may make a difference.
    Unfortunately there are only four ways of getting these desirable models:
    1. Have a faithful purchase history with AD. Not drinks or BJ or strippers but buying what you need/want from same AD over a period of time and staying in touch. No need to chat them up or send flowers.
    2. Going with a gray dealer and paying the premium
    3. Spending a ton of money on what you don’t need/want in hope of getting what you need/want
    4. Getting lucky.
    1 and 4 are recommended. There is no exact science or formula as to the amount of wait time or amount needed to spend to get a particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I’ve been told I’m very good looking and decent in the sack but still no Pepsi!
    Wtf!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    What, by your local AD

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post

Last week I bought a yachtmaster that I didn’t really want, just to boost myself up the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    🙄 sounds crass to me, particularly in the current climate. But each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
     sounds crass to me, particularly in the current climate. But each to their own.
    Not if the OP flipped it at a profit, which I assumed he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Not if the OP flipped it at a profit, which I assumed he did.
    Doubtful on a YM40 unless he's brave enough to go for a £1 eBay sales offer. You never know, though, Christmas is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    OP should know better than to ask this or similar questions here.
    Rarely will any useful information ever be forthcoming.
    Some so called experts with ‘inside info’ will tout their usual bull.
    Sad people with Rolex ass-burns will come to pour scorn on you and tell you how this is pathetic, abusive blah blah.
    There will be some pieces of truth in some answers but will be hard to separate the chaff from the grain.
    I am no expert but I do feel the wait lists are a myth and also the allotment is random and there is no formula. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time and coming across the right sales person may make a difference.
    1. Have a faithful purchase history with AD. Not drinks or BJ or strippers but buying what you need/want from same AD over a period of time and staying in touch. No need to chat them up or send flowers.
    3. Spending a ton of money on what you don’t need/want in hope of getting what you need/want
    4. Getting lucky.
    1 and 4 are recommended. There is no exact science or formula as to the amount of wait time or amount needed to spend to get a particular model.
    I think the Rolex AD's salesmen have direct lines to the guys on the grey market and they are topping up their target bonuses accordingly and who would blame them? this bullshit get on the list malarkey is helping the bottom feeders reel in suckers, but new young guys with disposable income are not interested in hearing old regurgitated reasons to own the grail of the week... they must have it at any cost. Sad but thats life today

Master
    4. Getting lucky.
    Apart from being best mates with an AD, pretty much about it and how two of them are how it worked for me. First 4 then 1.
    Last edited by Devonian; 18th November 2020 at 17:10.

Craftsman
    I put my name down via the official registration process on the Rolex site when the Pepsi was launched (Mar 18?). The local AD made contact to acknowledge and I have followed up a few times over the years since to check how things are progressing. They say they have had many requests and I will get a watch eventually. Best I don't hold my breath eh!

Shocked how totally lacking in pride some otherwise intelligent people must be.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    So interesting timing, just got the call for a new sub with date.. whoop !
    Must be the day for it, also got the call but for the LV.

Nothing massive purchased, have a coffee and a chat when I am in the town with the odd email here and there.

Only st st watches purchased over the last few years.

Certainly not ever prepared to buy anything I don’t want to get “up the list”

So interesting timing, just got the call for a new sub with date.. whoop !

It's posts like that - which make people think that talking about it continuously - can lead to success.

The result being lots of puerile threads on the subject.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    I put my name down via the official registration process on the Rolex site when the Pepsi was launched (Mar 18?). The local AD made contact to acknowledge and I have followed up a few times over the years since to check how things are progressing. They say they have had many requests and I will get a watch eventually. Best I don't hold my breath eh!
    Didn't actually know there was an official registration process on the Rolex site! May try that one day for the fun of it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Artificially low RRP.... what a load of bullshite... they cost very little to make unless you fancy a bit of yellow metal or carbon crystals added, the marketing and advertising is what costs 85% of the RRP please be realistic here, and in answer to the OP's question you will need to form a relationship with the guy that sets the sales peoples targets for the year not the numpties on the counter.
    Yes the RRP is way too low, that is why a Rolex will often sell for many thousands of Pounds above it.

When you buy a Rolex, you buy a lump of metal plus the brand image and that is where the value lies. By restricting supply, Rolex have driven the brand value up and hence they are now in demand despite the higher price.

What Rolex have done is to make a world class watch that is tough as well as reliable and accurate and really push the brand. This makes them hard to buy but very easy to sell. Long may this continue.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Didn't actually know there was an official registration process on the Rolex site! May try that one day for the fun of it!
    Certainly there was for the Pepsi launch. Register your interest here and your local AD will be in touch to fulfil your order........maybe

Master

How much does one need to spend at an AD to obtain a GMT Batman/Pepsi?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It's posts like that - which make people think that talking about it continuously - can lead to success.

The result being lots of puerile threads on the subject.

I think my only relevant contribution on the puerile threads was a genuine question about fit for which I’ was accused of being a thread spoiler and I apologised to the OP if they felt my innocent question was anything but.

I was in the dealers in September buying a watch as a birthday present and jokingly asked where my Daytona was. They checked the ‘wish list’ ( for several different items) and said the request for a no date sub I made in February wouldn’t be fulfilled because of the new sub and do I want to go in the list for that. So I said okay.

Today they said we have one with a date, do you want it? I appreciate from the forum Unwritten rules I’m supposed to be outraged and refuse, catch n’ release , etc but I have a new watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    Must be the day for it, also got the call but for the LV.

Nothing massive purchased, have a coffee and a chat when I am in the town with the odd email here and there.

Only st st watches purchased over the last few years.

Certainly not ever prepared to buy anything I don’t want to get “up the list”

I found washing the dealers car, walking their dogs and minding their children’s school hamster during the lockdown seems to put me in good standing.

I have been lucky too get quite a few over the last 10 years but being offered a skydweller and turning it down a few weeks ago I would say has certainly set me back.

Do you think they watch us?

The whole thing is bizarre. I haven't bought a new Rolex for years and can't see that I'll ever bother to do so again if this is how you have to go about it.

Dropped in to my AD, wearing a 1675 incidentally, to ask (on the off chance) of wait time for a BLRO as an upgrade. He chuckled and said that GMT, along with the other sports models, were ‘rewards for high spending customers’ - a little probing revealed this to be £20k on non-Rolex jewellery.

I won’t be back.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Artificially low RRP.... what a load of bullshite... they cost very little to make unless you fancy a bit of yellow metal or carbon crystals added, the marketing and advertising is what costs 85% of the RRP please be realistic here, and in answer to the OP's question you will need to form a relationship with the guy that sets the sales peoples targets for the year not the numpties on the counter.
    I must have owned and flipped at
    Least 20 SS Rolex - every steel model except the Daytona - over about 15 years when a 14060M was £1500. I’d flip every 18 months or so, as I got bored, and was never, ever on a waiting list (I’m also not a collector, watches are for wearing imho) - I just saw one in a window (I worked in central London at the time) and bought it. I was never dressed super smart - I bought my first one at 18 with my first commission cheque for under £1000, in the late 80’s which I think was a 5513. I just walked in, asked the shop assistant if I could buy it, that was that. Never had ‘an AD’ never fawned over the staff, I was polite but no more so than when I’m shopping in Sainsbury’s.
    I came to realise I was a bit bored with the whole thing, and if I kept flipping them they clearly weren’t really satisfying me. The last I had was a 16610LV, I just stopped wearing it in favour of cheap Casio’s as I just felt it was a bit ‘flash’ as prices started to go stratospheric, and that was never my thing. So, having owned most of the ‘halo’ models from new, I can confidently say that -IMHO - as a watch - not an investment - they’re not all that. They’re definitely not worth the current rrp - imho - definitely not worth grey prices. But if you want to get rinsed, tuck in, it’s getting to the point where the prices are just hilariously OTT and make me despair that people March to the shopkeepers tune?!? But each to their own, I’m genuinely glad I got to try all their best models for sensible money. I don’t even really understand why the watches I wore doing DIY in the 90’s now command a premium after I banged them up but that’s the crazy Rolex world now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Worth noting also that the 'waiting list' is a load of old tripe for the real hard to get watches. The AD knows exactly what their allocation will be for the year from Rolex (or at least the major ones I have dealt with know) - it isn't a case of you wait and the AD gets a Daytona in 'out of the blue'! So at the start of the year the AD gets the allocation from Rolex, sorts out most of the hot pieces for their VIP clients, maybe a few Hulks etc are left as a 'tethered goat' for any new Mr Bigs that start buying there and that is that. There isn't a list that you bide your time for as they will allocate each year's pieces pretty much at the start of the year, they aren't waiting for an unexpected watch to come in and then give it to the next person 'on the list'! It saddens me that people think this as it gives false hope. It may be some of the smaller ADs operate this way (with a true waiting list) but the big boy ADs in major cities know what they are getting for the year, and often it is allocated at a Head Office level.

Sure you could get a ND Sub or Explorer by waiting on a list as they aren't that desirable compared to the GMTs and Daytonas/Hulks but you won't get a Pepsi this way unless you get the wallet out
    Exactly as I expected it would be for those pieces.

Although the waiting list for the Explorer for my wife’s 40th hasn’t thrown me any joy in the 2+yrs I’ve been on a list. I remain a hopeful fool in getting one, especially as I’ve started to seed the message with her accordingly & my struggle to get a watch I want.

I’d love her to not think she would be getting one & then pull it out the bag for her birthday. Can but dream!

In your case it is as you're buying them because you want them and will use them, not to move higher up some list.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why? People buy nice things. It's not elitism, it's just people buying things they can afford.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 18th November 2020 at 21:02.

+1. Imagine the scene. You're in your local having a beer and a fella says "nice watch" and you begin to have a conversation. He asks if you mind telling him how much it was and you say "they're £6250 but I paid £11,500."

"Why? Is it a special one?"

"No, it was either that, wait five years on a mysterious list or buy £100k of other trinkets just to blow smoke up the jeweller's arse"

Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    But if you want to get rinsed, tuck in, it’s getting to the point where the prices are just hilariously OTT and make me despair that people march to the shopkeepers tune?!?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 18th November 2020 at 21:08.

....and the salesman took his commission and thought "there's another one fleeced".

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post

Last week I bought a yachtmaster that I didn’t really want, just to boost myself up the list!

5. Buy another brand.

4. Getting lucky.

Visited an AD recently. For me Rolex is somehow linked to the submariner and dive watch history. I looked around the store and it was all rose gold, rocks and bling bling. Nothing available was anything I’d ever wear

I found washing the dealers car, walking their dogs and minding their children’s school hamster during the lockdown seems to put me in good standing.
    Don’t even wash my own car so I wound be washing anyone else’s. I quite enjoy walking the dog but hamsters are for deep frying and eating

Master
    I think we have to accept that the factors mentioned previously all influence the way in which ADs release watches as they receive them from Rolex. What I can’t understand though is how we haven’t had some insider information from some disenchanted AD member of staff or anyone else who has worked in the supply of these watches. All the information I’ve read is presumption and rumour. Have we ever had anyone “spill the beans”. It does to me seem likely that the folk within the AD who have the say in who the select pieces go to are probably courted and cajoled by the high rollers which in many businesses would be declared gifts & gratuities but has anyone ever whistle blown ?

4. Getting lucky.
    Totally agree, though worth adding that being polite and friendly sometimes influences one's luck.

I have a decent relationship with my AD, bought a good few pieces, I think it’s more if they think you will actually keep or sell on ie profiteering?

I got an SD4000 within weeks of launch, asked for 126600 and had it in 6 weeks and most recently asked for a Batman in Feb and had a text only the other day to say they are hoping to get it next month.

I have been waiting for my ceramic Daytona for nearly 5 years though and still nothing!

Master

How much does one need to spend at an AD to obtain a GMT Batman/Pepsi?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    Don’t even wash my own car so I wound be washing anyone else’s. I quite enjoy walking the dog but hamsters are for deep frying and eating

Good thinking. If I don’t get my Daytona soon Harry the hamster may be taking a hot bath. Any good recipes?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I can speak from experience here for what it’s worth. I count myself extremely lucky with the relationship I have with my AD.
    Around the time Ernest Jones lost the Rolex concession, I had to start again. I popped in to my local AD at the time and explained that I was a collector and had a passion for the brand etc. I bought my dad a submariner from them when they were readily available which kickstarted the buying. All went quiet until I was offered a white dial skydweller. I bought it like many above, as a show of faith that il buy what’s offered in the hope of being able to buy more hard to get stuff that I just wouldn’t get an opportunity elsewhere.
    Basically, from the moment I bought the skydweller, I then bought a two tone chnr gmt, 2 Batman within a week (one for me one for my brother), 2 James Cameron deep sea sea dwellers (again one for my brother) and then a couple weeks back I was lucky to get a Pepsi and a batgirl. (I had the Pepsi and brother had the batgirl).
    It seems once your face fits you tend to get offered bits quite regularly. My brother is extremely lucky as he basically jumped on my relationship and it would seem he gets a watch every time I do..
    I have asked for a Daytona, but don’t hold out much hope. I’m extremely lucky to have had what I have.
    I will say I don’t think this mode can continue. 90 per cent of people want to wear the watch and can’t buy at list, yet the 10 per cent who can buy the hot watches tend to flip.
    I can understand flipping to a degree, I paid £7750 for my Pepsi and was offered £14k from someone I know. How on earth can you potentially make £6250 from a watch in a day that you’ve bought at retail? That for me made me question what on earth has happened to the hobby I once coveted...it’s utter madness and the few at the top will benefit at the expense of the masses..
    I’ve had a very similar AD experience to you and completely agree with what you say. It took me hardly any time to get a Pepsi. I’d also remark further that my collection of watches, which used to be a bit more interesting, is now largely made up of five and six digit Professional Rolexes. Why? Not because I love them above all other watches, because I don’t. The two reasons are 1) that I feel lucky to have access to them and 2) that they don’t drop like a stone in value over the years. Somehow the value retention in particular has skewed the way I view the hobby.

Good thinking. If I don’t get my Daytona soon Harry the hamster may be taking a hot bath. Any good recipes?
    I am a purist so just deep fried with some HP sauce

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I can speak from experience here for what it’s worth. I count myself extremely lucky with the relationship I have with my AD.
    Around the time Ernest Jones lost the Rolex concession, I had to start again. I popped in to my local AD at the time and explained that I was a collector and had a passion for the brand etc. I bought my dad a submariner from them when they were readily available which kickstarted the buying. All went quiet until I was offered a white dial skydweller. I bought it like many above, as a show of faith that il buy what’s offered in the hope of being able to buy more hard to get stuff that I just wouldn’t get an opportunity elsewhere.
    Basically, from the moment I bought the skydweller, I then bought a two tone chnr gmt, 2 Batman within a week (one for me one for my brother), 2 James Cameron deep sea sea dwellers (again one for my brother) and then a couple weeks back I was lucky to get a Pepsi and a batgirl. (I had the Pepsi and brother had the batgirl).
    It seems once your face fits you tend to get offered bits quite regularly. My brother is extremely lucky as he basically jumped on my relationship and it would seem he gets a watch every time I do..
    I have asked for a Daytona, but don’t hold out much hope. I’m extremely lucky to have had what I have.
    I will say I don’t think this mode can continue. 90 per cent of people want to wear the watch and can’t buy at list, yet the 10 per cent who can buy the hot watches tend to flip.
    I can understand flipping to a degree, I paid £7750 for my Pepsi and was offered £14k from someone I know. How on earth can you potentially make £6250 from a watch in a day that you’ve bought at retail? That for me made me question what on earth has happened to the hobby I once coveted...it’s utter madness and the few at the top will benefit at the expense of the masses..
    I’ve had a very similar AD experience to you and completely agree with what you say. It took me hardly any time to get a Pepsi. I’d also remark further that my collection of watches, which used to be a bit more interesting, is now largely made up of five and six digit Professional Rolexes. Why? Not because I love them above all other watches, because I don’t. The two reasons are 1) that I feel lucky to have access to them and 2) that they don’t drop like a stone in value over the years. Somehow the value retention in particular has skewed the way I view the hobby.

Master
    I put my name down via the official registration process on the Rolex site when the Pepsi was launched (Mar 18?). The local AD made contact to acknowledge and I have followed up a few times over the years since to check how things are progressing.
    Certainly there was for the Pepsi launch. Register your interest here and your local AD will be in touch to fulfil your order........maybe
    I thought I'd wearily ploughed through every Rolex availability thread there was on here in the past few years but don't remember ever reading about an online registration process for new models.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’d also remark further that my collection of watches, which used to be a bit more interesting, is now largely made up of five and six digit Professional Rolexes. Why? Not because I love them above all other watches, because I don’t. The two reasons are 1) that I feel lucky to have access to them and 2) that they don’t drop like a stone in value over the years. Somehow the value retention in particular has skewed the way I view the hobby.
    I know we all get different enjoyment out of collecting watches and have varying priorities but that doesn’t really sound like a fun hobby at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Exactly as I expected it would be for those pieces.

Although the waiting list for the Explorer for my wife’s 40th hasn’t thrown me any joy in the 2+yrs I’ve been on a list. I remain a hopeful fool in getting one, especially as I’ve started to seed the message with her accordingly & my struggle to get a watch I want.

I’d love her to not think she would be getting one & then pull it out the bag for her birthday. Can but dream!
    Is this an Explorer 214270? You've waited 2 years?

Find another AD mate, they're pulling your leg. I bought one last year after walking into the AD for the first time ever and waited 48 hours...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I know we all get different enjoyment out of collecting watches and have varying priorities but that doesn’t really sound like a fun hobby at all.
    I agree Benny...until about 2014 I wouldn’t go near the Rolex brand, finding it too obvious and the models too similar. In those pre-Rolex days I simply accepted that I had an expensive hobby that wouldn’t pay dividends. Then I bought a 114060 (ND Submariner) and everything changed...out went the reversos, master controls and vintage Omega to make way for lots of 904L. I hope to find more of a balance in time to come.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    This is everything I hate about Rolex; the elitism is sickening.
    TBH rolex is the least elitist imo....wait till u get into AP, Patek etc....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    This is everything I hate about Rolex; the elitism is sickening.
    My thoughts on this as someone who generally got all the watches at MSRP (not boasting).

If Rolex is what you want, building history and relationships via purchasing i would say is fairly successful from personal experience. At my local Rolex AD i have purchased a SD43, Ladies 31 Bimetal DJ, Pepsi, and a few months ago, Daytona. Due to production numbers i think is possible and ur competing with people of “lower” income brackets also.

However for brands like Patek or AP, if u want a rare watch, secondary is generally cheaper imo in the end because the HIT you take buying a random gold patek and selling it can be in the tens of thousands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Is this an Explorer 214270? You've waited 2 years?

Find another AD mate, they're pulling your leg. I bought one last year after walking into the AD for the first time ever and waited 48 hours...
    Yes it is, and yes they are! Agree I need a new place to try and purchase from.

What’s your spending been like since?
    That will determine how much longer you continue to wait