closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS20 screw down crown query

Journeyman

PRS20 screw down crown query

I recently picked up a PRS 20LE.

It has a fairly rough feel to the 'screwing' of the crown. I just wanted to know if this was normal or if it's been threaded at all.

It works OK (ie, it screws in and out fully), and the decoupling action seems to work fine (ie, it 'pops' out when unscrewed), it's just that when you go to unscrew, or more particularly, screw-in the crown it feels a bit rough as it screws; harsher than I might have expected, not quite "crunch crunch" but certainly not smooth-as-silk.

I've been pretty careful with it (you know, screwing backwards first etc to prevent threading) but sometimes it does take a bit to get it correctly 'on-thread' when screwing it in.

As I haven't had this since new I'm just not sure if this is 'normal' or not. Any thoughts/advice.

Cheers,

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Re: PRS20 screw down crown query

I had this with the one I had. Carefully clean the threads with an old toothbrush or similar and use a blower brush to get the crud out.

Worked for me :)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Never had a 20, so I can't help - but any crown issue drives me mental :twisted:

It's exactly how mine started to go bad. I tried the cleaning and lubing the threads thing but it didn't work. I'm going to have to send mine back to Fricker for repair of they ever get back to me.

You might have a few more months left. Although I didn't wear mine every day. Not sure how many people this happened to but I know a few. I dunno how Fricker messed up a screw down crown. The crown on my Dreadnought is still perfecto. Shit happens, you know? I have heard of weird things happening to all manner of good watches. Marathon and others... The case back medal on My Doxa 600T fell off once, etc...

Journeyman

You might have a few more months left.
    Actually, I think I have less than that; it seems to get worse the more I fiddle with it.

I'm now convinced the threads are stuffed as it only takes half a turn now to engage. That is, I have to squeeze it to the case, half turn only and it locks. This is certainly progressivley worse than it was yesterday or the day before. I suspect the threads in the crown itself have worn down. The threads on the case appear OK; but difficult to tell.

I've sent Eddie an email to investigate options.

Pete

ps yep, I agree shit happens, I'm not losing sleep over it just frustrated because it's such a cool watch I want it to be perfect etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

ps yep, I agree shit happens, I'm not losing sleep over it just frustrated because it's such a cool watch I want it to be perfect etc.
    Yeah it's a hassle, I haven't bothered Eddie yet. I'm giving Fricker some more time to respond b/c of the August summer holiday....

Master

Fricker did a fantastic job on mine with a five week turnaround door to door. That was back in June. The watch came back as brand new. You can always give them a call. English is no problem. They were also good in letting me know that the watch was on its way back again, so that I could keep an eye out for it. First class service. I am convinced that the problem is caused by forcefully screwing down the crown out of its alignment, once done its the beginning of the end.

Journeyman

Fricker did a fantastic job on mine with a five week turnaround door to door. That was back in June. The watch came back as brand new. You can always give them a call. English is no problem. They were also good in letting me know that the watch was on its way back again, so that I could keep an eye out for it. First class service. I am convinced that the problem is caused by forcefully screwing down the crown out of its alignment, once done its the beginning of the end.
    Good to know. Eddie has passed on their details to me so I will contact them and see what happens.

Yes it could simply be me being a doofus and too forceful with the crown; its hard to tell because you need to press it reasonably forcefully back towards the case to re-engage with the threads. Anyway, hopefully its an easy 'ish fix.

You can now basically squeeze the crown entirely to the case edge, small twist and it engages - don't know how long that will last.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    I got mine second hand, so I don't know if I caused it or the other guy. Oh well, the other guy is a friend and like I said, shit happens. It's a part of the game. I've never had a problem with a screw down crown ever, so I have no idea about it being forcefully screwing it vs some sort of defect, since it has happened to several of them. Can we all, all of a sudden, be screw down crown challenged?? I'd hate to think that after repair it can happen again. We'll see.

My experience with the prs-20's screw-down crown is as follows: the first time (or couple of times) I screwed it back in it seemed a bit rough. I quickly noticed though, that the crown seems to be under some pressure to "POP" out--which actually makes sense if true (I don't know if this is just my take on this system). Ever since then, I have screwed the crown down and in with a little pressure inward toward the case as I turn the crown and it is as smooth as silk.

what exactly has happened to the crown of your watch? I did not really understand

Apprentice

Was the service covered under warranty? I am having the same problem. I'd hate to give the watch up for five weeks as I wear it everyday but I guess that's the way it goes. Can someone please PM me with contact info for Fricker.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baybombers
    Was the service covered under warranty? I am having the same problem. I'd hate to give the watch up for five weeks as I wear it everyday but I guess that's the way it goes. Can someone please PM me with contact info for Fricker.
    Thanks.
    Walter Fricker GmbH & Co KG
    Kaulbachstr. 51 – 53
    PFORZHEIM
    GERMANY

info@w-fricker.de

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice

Thanks Eddie.

FYI an update. The Fricker representative emailed me back and said they would accept my package. Now I have to query my local Post Office for the Customs form that covers "not getting charged as a new purchase" when it comes back from repair. Problem is the darn Post Office is closed after I get off work. Maybe I can get my wife to drop by since it's around the corner from where she works....

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    FYI an update. The Fricker representative emailed me back and said they would accept my package. Now I have to query my local Post Office for the Customs form that covers "not getting charged as a new purchase" when it comes back from repair. Problem is the darn Post Office is closed after I get off work. Maybe I can get my wife to drop by since it's around the corner from where she works....
    I just heard from the Fricker rep also, nice prompt service. I was not aware there is a customs form I'll need to fill out. Thanks for the heads up,

I just heard from the Fricker rep also, nice prompt service. I was not aware there is a customs form I'll need to fill out. Thanks for the heads up,
    Without doing that paperwork you might get charged as if it was a purchase when they shipped it back.

Journeyman

I have shipped the watch back to Fricker a week or so ago. Communication is easy and they seemed quite happy to take it back and fix it under warranty. I will let the forum know when I get it back/ how it all went etc.

I am disappointed to see the number of people this is affecting; does suggest a design fault which is troubling. I'd hate to think this will happen again; ie, be easilly stripped. I wonder if you can modify it to just be a "normal" crown?

Customs here suggested I simply keep proof of the export and that this will suffice to prevent them from charging me duty on its return - I hope they are correct!.

-Pete

I wore mine for a year and wound it every morning without any crown problems. I'm convinced that two factors are responsible:

1. The absence of crown guards to act as a guide.
    2. Carelessness.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I have to agree with Eddie I think most of the problems are user related. I have never had a problem with the crown on my 20. Just back it off a bit before screwing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Just back it off a bit before screwing it down.
    In my experience that is the key, my 20 is still as smooth as silk.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I wore mine for a year and wound it every morning without any crown problems. I'm convinced that two factors are responsible:

1. The absence of crown guards to act as a guide.
    2. Carelessness.

Eddie
    I think I'd only agree with #2. I don't own a PRS-20, but I've used non-crown guarded watches having screw-down crowns constantly for years and they still have threads as perfect as they were at purchase.

I think if somebody is ever trying to rely on the crown guards as a guide to properly seat the crown and align the threads of crown and tube together, they are already in trouble and pretty much gauranteeing a problem for themselves and their watch.

I personally think what's best needed is care and correct technique, and I think coarse threads and a lot of them help.

I also think that Rolex style screwed-in type crown tubes are an excellent design idea in case problems do occur and the tube has to be replaced.

Master

I'm with Eddie on this. No problems with my PRS20 LE. In fact the crown mechanism is better than most of my other watches.

Pete

I have to agree with Eddie. The key to screwing home is do it carefully and don't force it, well, that's what my wife says!!! :lol:

David

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Just back it off a bit before screwing it down.
    In my experience that is the key, ..............
    That is the key to all screw-down crowns.

john
    Every watch a story.

Look, I am not writing this to refute Eddie or anyone else, but I have plenty of watches with screw down crowns. (no issues) Now, truth be told, this one doesn't have crown guards - and I am the second owner. I do have another watch which has a screw down crown and no crown guards, but it's still new.

After the repair I will be "extra" careful.

Look, I am not writing this to refute Eddie or anyone else, but I have plenty of watches with screw down crowns. (no issues) Now, truth be told, this one doesn't have crown guards - and I am the second owner. I do have another watch which has a screw down crown and no crown guards, but it's still new.

I've had plenty of cars as well but I still managed to wreck one. :lol:

Eddie

Eddie
    touché

Apprentice

Eddie
    touché
    It does seem odd that this is the one watch with screwdown crown that people are having problems with. If there was a single model of car that seemed to be involved in more wrecks than any other, wouldn't it be possible the design of the car contributed to the problem?

touché
    It does seem odd that this is the one watch with screw down crown that people are having problems with. If there was a single model of car that seemed to be involved in more wrecks than any other, wouldn't it be possible the design of the car contributed to the problem?
    I guess it could be, and I certainly don't like it being inferred that I do not know how to operate a screw down crown. Then again the damage to mine, the "seed damage" as it were, could have been done before I even got mine.

It is what it is. It is a product. It cannot be undone. The design is what it is. Eddie didn't build the darn things, and I would argue that despite this I'm glad that he had them made. It is good that Fricker is standing behind them, and even after the warranty is up I take it that they would fix them for a reasonable fee if need be.

My point here is that it's no use beating a dead horse (I ought to put that one in the G&D thread about linguistic sayings ;-) ) which will do nothing but a) piss Eddie off and b) needlessly cause bad blood.

This is what warranties are for. Hopefully mine will survive the transatlantic mail system but I plan to use International Registered Mail which I have used to send international post with good results in the past. ;-)

It's difficult to know what the problem is; more than 300 sold and maybe 10 with crown problems. This doesn't suggest a design fault to me but maybe it does to others. I have one customer who has stripped the threads on the crowns of 3 my watches, I suppose he believes there is a design fault as well.

Eddie

Apprentice

touché
    It does seem odd that this is the one watch with screw down crown that people are having problems with. If there was a single model of car that seemed to be involved in more wrecks than any other, wouldn't it be possible the design of the car contributed to the problem?
    I guess it could be, and I certainly don't like it being inferred that I do not know how to operate a screw down crown. Then again the damage to mine, the "seed damage" as it were, could have been done before I even got mine.

It is what it is. It is a product. It cannot be undone. The design is what it is. Eddie didn't build the darn things, and I would argue that despite this I'm glad that he had them made. It is good that Fricker is standing behind them, and even after the warranty is up I take it that they would fix them for a reasonable fee if need be.

My point here is that it's no use beating a dead horse (I ought to put that one in the G&D thread about linguistic sayings ;-) ) which will do nothing but a) piss Eddie off and b) needlessly cause bad blood.

This is what warranties are for. Hopefully mine will survive the transatlantic mail system but I plan to use International Registered Mail which I have used to send international post with good results in the past. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great watch and tell everyone as much whenever I get the chance. As I said in a previous post, a rep from Fricker was prompt in responding to my e-mail and I have nothing but positive things to say all around. I have no idea whether it is a design flaw, a problem with materials or very possibly user error. As Eddie said in his most recent response, no one knows for sure. So just as it doesn't serve any useful purpose to blame the design I think those who are quick to blame it on the user are similarly serving no useful purpose.

May this horse rest in peace.

Journeyman

Well I've got my prs20le back from Fricker today (3 weeks total turn around time: Melbourne to Pforzhiem and back) and it is in excellent shape.

I have to say Fricker have been very good: clear and prompt communication (with Michaela West), they didn't stuff about fixing it (I suppose they had it for about a week or so which is better than most I would guess) and returned it by Fedex.

You'll be please to know the screw down crown is smooth as silk; seriously very smooth.

I'll be f***n careful with it :P