closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Restoring The Tudor That Took A Bullet In Vietnam parts 1 & II.....(On You Tube).

Grand Master

Restoring The Tudor That Took A Bullet In Vietnam parts 1 & II.....(On You Tube).

This is fantastic,I for sure don't mind to see any signs of wear on a "used" watch....

The video shows the repair and rebuild of the vets Tudor Sub.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    This is fantastic,I for sure don't mind to see any signs of wear on a "used" watch....

The video shows the repair and rebuild of the vets Tudor Sub.
    Yeah this was really interesting to watch tudor did a good job restoring and keeping the character of it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Enjoyed that. Thanks for signposting.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Best hodinkee video in a very long time. I wonder what that's worth now. If only they gave it back to him with a NATO that fit.

Craftsman
    Great to see it back on his wrist.

Mid-way through I was a bit worried about whether it could be repaired without losing the continuity / memories. However, straightening the lugs was so manual and simple (not to say easy, I'm very sure) it was clearly the same watch. Nothing added or removed, just re-worked.

Brings the longevity I like to associate with mechanical watches into reality.

R

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

A really good story and great to see the watch back on his wrist.

How much do those Tudors go for now? Look excellent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Brilliant! Well done Tudor!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Superb video and well done to Tudor for that amazing work.

Just sitting having my lunch at my desk and trying to make sure no one saw the tear running down my cheek !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

first read about this on hodinkee nice to see it being restored.

Craftsman
    What a fascinating story and outcome.

Great story, i think i`ll go and put a watch on - have hardly worn one in the last 14 weeks....

Master
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

Grand Master
    Some put an hairline scratch on their watch and its a damn catastrophy!.

Watch this you guys.....

That was an excellent watch (if you’ll forgive the pun). A reminder to go out and enjoy my watches and let them have their own stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Simply amazing..

Great story and nice to see tudor go all the way for this restauration. Great PR for the company..

Guillermo

They should have left it as it was. I don't understand the point of fixing it and losing the historical context.
    Every watch a story.

I love watching/reading history of a watch and its owner.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    They should have left it as it was. I don't understand the point of fixing it and losing the historical context.

Hmm....don't think the restoration lost anything and was extremely sympathetic to the history. Simply, they just got it working again keeping all of its patina.

For me these films exemplify why I collect watches: Either for the history already attached to the watch or the history to be given to the watch. I have watches from both my father and Grandfathers and passing these and the ones i have collected in my lifetime on to my children is hugely important to me. That Tudor is priceless to his family.

Grand Master
    You must have watched something else!.It lost absolutely nothing with everything inc memories brought back.

What would you have had done lets say if your Fathers watch?,binned it,or put it on a plaque on the wall,id have done exactly what was done.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 17th July 2020 at 13:53.

They didn't throw it in a service case with new hands...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    They didn't throw it in a service case with new hands...
    Me thinks he just wanted to cast his hook.....we took it,but he is totally wrong anyway.....

Craftsman
    Me thinks he just wanted to cast his hook.....we took it,but he is totally wrong anyway.....
    Yes agreed!!

>pulls hook, line and sinker out....<

Really?

The whole exercise was about getting the watch working again and putting it back on his wrist.

In terms of historical value, would you say it increased or decreased with the repair?

Also in monetary terms, would you say it increased or decreased its value?

The gentleman should have been given a brand new watch and the item with all its paperwork should have been put in a museum to enlighten and educate future generations.

If it was put this way to him I am sure the story would have finished different.
    Last edited by abraxas; 17th July 2020 at 16:20.
    Every watch a story.

Craftsman
    Really? In terms of historical value, would you say it increased or decreased with the repair?
    impossible to quantify. What nominal value could you give it before it was restored to compare to its restored state? On a purely mechanical basis however the restoration will have increased its value.

See above. This isn't Paul Newman's watch, this is a watch damaged by war and is therefore not unique, even if it is priceless to the owner and those connected to it directly.

The gentleman should have been given a brand new watch and the item with all its paperwork should have been put in a museum to enlighten and educate future generations.
    Nah! I can think of far better artefacts to educate future generations. Far more valuable to the original owner. I for one would not part with it based on some spurious ideal that it would be "educational".
    Last edited by Rich; 17th July 2020 at 16:43.

Grand Master
    Really?

The whole exercise was about getting the watch working again and putting it back on his wrist.

In terms of historical value, would you say it increased or decreased with the repair?

If it was put this way to him I am sure the story would have finished different.
    I didnt watch it with any thoughts on value prior to or after the work done to the watch,and probably of absolutely no importance to the owner,if so it would have been sorted for the cash years ago.
    Why should it go in a museum?,the owner wants the memories back,its simply a watch that had a story attached to it that someone decided would be a nice gesture to get it back on the wrist of its owner.

Ping..........

Ping..........
    You are interested in people and emotions. All I see is a watch with a history that is now lost. It is like putting a bezel on Brando's GMT or cleaning "the dirt" off the original Bulova moon watch.
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    You are interested in people and emotions. All I see is a watch with a history that is now lost. It is like putting a bezel on Brando's GMT or cleaning "the dirt" off the original Bulova moon watch.
    What does putting a bezel on Brandos GMT have to do with anything....oh yes famous!.

Would you or any "non" famous person replace it,the answer is they would,and yet you see it different if owned by a famous person!..........It should be left,why?.