closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with Weber BBQ

Help with Weber BBQ

I’ve had the genesis model below for 11 years. Given me superb service and the ability to hold a steady temperature for hours had turned me from a bangers and burger bbq’er to do beer can chicken, big cuts of lamb etc etc.

It’s had a few parts replaced over the years but as you can see cleans up well and feels like it could give another 10 years service.

At my last bbq of 2019 I noticed the temperature wasn’t climbing and made a mental note that this would need sorting early 2020. Perhaps the gas was low.

On cleaning the bbq I noticed the burners were a bit rusted. Not terrible but enough for me to think ‘that must be the problem’.

Jumped online and was horrified to see the Weber parts were about £120. Maybe that was my mistake, but I ordered some Chinese copy parts for £35. I fitted them and it all fires up. But it still won’t get very hot.

Pics below of the new parts in situ. And I managed to capture one burner lit so you can see the quality of the burn. It doesn’t sound as though there’s enough power in the jets. Maybe I’m imagining that. As you can see from the gauge - that’s as hot as it’s getting.

It’s running off a brand new full canister.

Any ideas grateful received as I’d really like to get another 10 years out of this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming the new parts are a accurate copy in the flame holes, the only other part to check is the regulator on the bottle, I don’t know if they degrade over time or not though, possible I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Assuming the new parts are a accurate copy in the flame holes, the only other part to check is the regulator on the bottle, I don’t know if they degrade over time or not though, possible I guess.
    Hadn’t thought of that ! Cheap enough to replace and check. Risk the queue at B&Q ?

Also thought about the temp gauge. Just had that out and tested in boiling water. Went straight to 100 degrees so that seems ok

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Jason - you are my hero.

Been back from B&Q (very well staffed and organised) with said part for £11

Bought some of the pipe as well as they sell by the meter. Stuck the ends in boiling water as always a struggle to get on

2 mins after firing it up:-

Awesome! Well done, glad to have helped.
    J
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Awesome! Well done, glad to have helped.
    J
    Jason - you really don’t know how pleased you’ve made me (and my 3 lads) who will all be having beer can chicken tonight !

I’m putting something in the fundraiser by way of thanks

Nice one, great gesture.
    Enjoy your bbq.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Looking good and smelling even better !

Knowledge sharing, cheap, easy and highly valuable!

Lovely thread

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Reminds me of Mr Bean.

They look very comfortable.

Do you leave the cans full of beer?

Always wanted to try it.

You can use beer or take an empty tin of whatever and fill it with beer or apple juice ..: it’s just there to keep the moisture up.

This was you can drink the beer !

Jason - you really don’t know how pleased you’ve made me (and my 3 lads) who will all be having beer can chicken tonight !

I’m putting something in the fundraiser by way of thanks

Glad it’s sorted,I’ve been thinking about upgrading our bbq and Weber is one of the makes that keep popping up ,you must obviously think it’s decent,going to the trouble of fixing it .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Glad it’s sorted,I’ve been thinking about upgrading our bbq and Weber is one of the makes that keep popping up ,you must obviously think it’s decent,going to the trouble of fixing it .

They are a fantastic piece of kit, I cook all sorts on it including Sunday lunch with the rotisserie attachment. They are not cheap but last a lifetime, I recommend the fitted cover, Mine still looks like new after 7 years. It also stands in as a third oven at Christmas! Love it.

Master
    Love my Weber GBS and am slowly getting more adventurous was time goes by

Roast Pork last night

That looks lovely! What size beer can do you use? Is it the large ones or the “coke” sized ones?

Master
    I’ve had a spirit 3 burner for about 13yrs and not had to replace anything. Needs a lock of paint but refuses to die!

Have my eye on a genesis but will probably just save myself £500 and get another spirit.

Unfortunately the new ones aren’t as well built as the old ones & have reduced warranty on them.

Not that it matter until I can get this one to stop working properly. Great for rotisserie chicken too, effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You can use beer or take an empty tin of whatever and fill it with beer or apple juice ..: it’s just there to keep the moisture up.

This was you can drink the beer !
    But does it? It’s a good way to cook the chicken as the fat drips away, but the beer is still there in the end, isn’t it?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    But does it? It’s a good way to cook the chicken as the fat drips away, but the beer is still there in the end, isn’t it?
    The steam puffs out the skin of the chicken so it crisps up nicely. Moist meat and crispy skin is a winner.

I don't want to come across all nanny state, but I've always wondered if the inks and plastic interior coatings etc. used on a beer can are safe to cook with.

You can get "beer can roasters" for just a few pounds, so why not treat yourself.

Random example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07..._1589026083677

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    The steam puffs out the skin of the chicken so it crisps up nicely. Moist meat and crispy skin is a winner.
    This !

A few queries been asked about the beer can chicken. Hundreds of methods on the internet but this is what I’ve been doing for years and always results in lip smacking and empty plates:-

I find it easier with a holder. I empty the standard 330ml can of whatever drink was in it and take the whole top off with a can opener. Refill just half full. I’m now not convinced that different beers make any discernible difference and sometimes use cola. I do tend to put some of the rub in the can as well.

Prepare some marinade and rub and slaver the chicken at least an hour before cooking. Do not cook from fridge, but take it out a couple of hours before.

The good thing about Weber is you can control indirect cooking. So I have all 3 burners on to heat the bbq up. Then when I place the chicken in the middle of the bbq I turn the middle burner off. So the two side burners are on ..... I tend to find turning those 2 down to about half power will give you a steady magical 350 degrees you need. Assuming medium to large chicken I leave it on for 70 minutes. Sometimes just to ensure extra crispy skin I might turn the middle burner on for last 5 minutes. Lid down the whole time and try not to peek ! Remember - if you lookin it ain’t cooking

And now the most crucial bit to ensure good results ..... patience ! Leave the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before carving up. Makes a whole world of difference.

If you’ve never done it before you in for a treat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Had various BBQs over the years but about 5 years ago took the plunge and got a Weber Spirit and a Weber kettle. Rotisserie attachments for both and cleaned both up during lock down and look like new.

Also got one of these- expensive (as most Weber accessories are) but better than a beer can and you can roast vegetables in the tray at the same time.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1590629...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Master
    I’ve a Weber Q200 which is great but bought a really cheep 47cm Weber kettle bbq - just needs a ash catcher wondering if I can craft one out of something

inspired by this thread i had a go last night in my old charcoal weber. tastes lovely and loads left over for sarnies today.

Master
    Love the way that almost looks B&W with a colour tint on the chicken.

Looks marvellous and I'm wishing I had a roast chicken for tonight. I started with a weber 57cm and did everything from ribs to pulled pork over my years before upgrading. Gave it to brother in law 2-3 years ago and he hasn't even lit it yet. Tempted to ask for it back & give it to someone who will use it