closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PRS-3: a bit of a conundrum

New PRS-3: a bit of a conundrum

I've asked for another PRS-3 but updated yet again. Here are the key points for the new design.

41mm case diameter
    42mm bezel diameter
    Bezel slope decreased from 45% to 35% for better handling
    22mm lugs (up from 20mm)
    Bracelet with solid end links

The bracelet is the problem. Many people like a steel bracelet but not everyone and it does add to the cost. The Broadarrow PRS-3 sold for £195 five years ago and the new automatic PRS-3 would sell for around £240 on NATO with ETA2824-2 and less with the Ronda 715Li. The bracelet adds £85 to the price making the auto £325, which is still significantly cheaper than the CWC date version at £399 on NATO.

Now the main problem: in order to get the price on the bracelet with custom fully-fitted solid end links, I have to take 500 pieces. I have no problem taking 500 pieces of the watch in phased deliveries but how many would want a bracelet?

Thoughts please.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Re: New PRS-3: a bit of a conundrum

If it is an automatic wouldn't be an updated PRS-11 and not a PRS-3. I know it won't be PVD but that is less of a diference than the movement.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

A quartz version of the updated PRS-3 would find a fair chance of getting onto my shopping list, but I can't say I would be that fussed about getting a bracelet (maybe I've gone too far the other way as I've just put my Seamaster on a nato)
    It's fixed bars that would be a big positive for me, but I appreciate that is not part of the design.

Master

Just so people know with what we are dealing with - the old-PRS3 from the TimeFactors museum
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=31449&start=0

Master

This may well be dumb idea so forgive me if it is! But would it be possible to have the bracelet made so that it can fit another model as well? That way you would double your chances of selling the bracelet with the PRS3 or the 'other model'.

Secondly - I've not seen that ^^ Precista before. It is a very nice looking watch.

Neil

When I have a choice, I usually prefer my watches on a strap in any case.

If I was to take one it would be with the Bracelet. The lack of a Bracelet has stopped me from getting the PRS 14 :(

Were I given the choice, I'd probably opt for the strap. Some watches work best with a bracelet IMO, but I'm finding more and more that most watches (including that one) simply look better on straps.

Feel free to discount the opinion however, as I'm quite happy with my Broadarrow and am not likely at all to buy one of these (even if it is larger).

That's not a watch that *needs* a bracelet (most probably associate it with a NATO), and at £240 it sounds like the bargain of the century. ~£320 with a bracelet doesn't sound quite so attractive to me.

Could you get 500 bracelets / end links, and a lower number of watches (to start with)? Cuts your initial outlay a bit, if nothing else.

I don't know if it makes any difference to the price, but I'm not especially bothered whether end links are solid or not.

1 vote for the bracelet, especially if it looks like the one posted above.

Apprentice

I vote that it doesn't have the bracelet. I've had my original PRS3 from the beginning and I've never lusted for a bracelet for it. It's much happier on a Nato or the Hirsch Nevada :wink:

I prefer bracelets; quite like leather - and the Timefactor fabric staps but don't really like Nato or Bond or whatever.

Master

I agree with the idea of making a bracelet design that can be used across several models, all one needs is slightly different end pieces then the one design could in theory be used on the 14 for example as well. Personally I have gone of bracelets recently. My wrist swells to much so I would love a bracelet option IF it had the ratcheting clasp like that on the MM300, in fact this alone would propel the watch right up wishlist for me since its touches like this that differentiate a product and lift it out of the herd. If just another common or garden bracelet then I agree with the others that 80 quid on top of a 240 quid base price doesn't sound to attractive.

I prefer bracelets for office wear but NATOs for "casual", so I typically switch my watches around from one to the other.
    Usually I find leather straps uncomfortable over an extended period (because they make my wrist sweat and then swell up).

To my mind, this style of diver would really be for non-formal wear so I wouldn't think it particularly persuasive to have a bracelet. Although it does look quite good in the picture above :? And whoever said above that 240 would be a great bargain is right.

I do agree, though, Eddie, that if you had a generic bracelet that could be integrated with a number of case styles, you would be onto a winner - look at the popularity of the "lumpy" for example. Especially if you could sell it as a modular concept (i.e. buy one bracelet, then when you buy a TF watch you have the option to buy the relevant end pieces).

Cheers,
    Steve

PS can we have a white on black date window please?

Journeyman

I vote bracelet.

I’m probably wear my watches on bracelets as often as straps.
    I find it much more difficult to source an aftermarket bracelet than I do a strap. Consequently, I have passed on a number of watches, to avoid the grief of sourcing a bracelet.

It may be worth exploring the manufacture of alternative bracelet end pieces, enabling compatibility with a number of Timefactors watches. How many different finishes (Brushed, Matt) would be required?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn
    This may well be dumb idea so forgive me if it is! But would it be possible to have the bracelet made so that it can fit another model as well? That way you would double your chances of selling the bracelet with the PRS3 or the 'other model'.
    An excellent suggestion - had Eddie not suggested the PRS-3 is being redesigned with 22mm lugs, I'd have said go for a bracelet that can also be used on the 14, which is crying out for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    I'd have said go for a bracelet that can also be used on the 14, which is crying out for one.
    It already has one (kind of & unofficially), and it costs less than £85:

It dosn't take *that* much fiddling to make it fit.

Given the cost of the bracelet, I would opt to purchase this watch without one.

Regards,

David

Journeyman

I'm a bracelet guy, and will definitely purchase one if it is available, but I'm in for an auto PRS-3 bracelet or nor.

Master

I find it much more difficult to source an aftermarket bracelet than I do a strap. Consequently, I have passed on a number of watches, to avoid the grief of sourcing a bracelet.
    Good point.

Neil

Master

:idea: :bounce: In a general sense, I think the idea others came up with of separate[ly] [offered] Timefactors generic ["base"] bracelets in, say, 20mm and 22mm widths, with model-specific fitted end-pieces being available for each Timefactors watch having the respective lug widths, would be a great way to address the variegated tastes of consumers while not losing the outstandingly high value for the money attractiveness watches like a NATO strapped PRS-3 would have for the market at large.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon
    :idea: :bounce: In a general sense, I think the idea others came up with of separate Timefactors generic bracelets in, say, 20mm and 22mm widths, with model-specific fitted end-pieces being available for each Timefactors watch having the respective lug widths, would be a great way to address the variegated tastes of consumers while not losing the outstandingly high value for the money attractiveness watches like a NATO strapped PRS-3 would have for the market at large.
    I agree!

Journeyman

I would be happy to have a PRS-3 auto without a bracelet.

The RN style diver design looks best on a NATO to me. It just isn't a watch I'd wear on a bracelet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steve264
    PS can we have a white on black date window please?
    Very good point, Steve :thumbleft:

Well I think, the watch looks best on a Nato (but I do think this on nearly every watch :twisted: )

Cheerio, Frank

I'm not keen on bracelets at all. So my vote goes for fixes bars / fat springbars.

But that's just me :-)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Unless you have a straight-end bracelet, generic bracelets end up not fitting any watch particularly well. The same bracelet will be used on the Vanguard (I think this watch needs a bracelet), the only difference is the custom end-links for each model.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

My vote would be for drilled lugs, shoulderless springbars and a NATO strap. For me, the PRS-3 is not a bracelet watch.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by draz
    My vote would be for drilled lugs, shoulderless springbars and a NATO strap. For me, the PRS-3 is not a bracelet watch.
    I agree. I also have one rather unusual issue: I normally wear my wedding ring on my NATO or Rhino when on ops or in the air. Since I have small fingers to match my small wrist, a 22mm strap ends up being too big for my wedding ring!! Purely self-interest, that's all.

Custom end links are a good idea. There is one vendor on the forums that makes soild end pieces for standard oyster style bracelets, that are customised for each case e.g Seiko 6105, 6309.

I've got one set each for my 6106 and 6309 and share the super oyster bracelet between them as I see fit or get bored with the strap on them.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Unless you have a straight-end bracelet, generic bracelets end up not fitting any watch particularly well. The same bracelet will be used on the Vanguard (I think this watch needs a bracelet), the only difference is the custom end-links for each model.
    22mm lugs on the Vanguard? :shock:

It always has been. It's 20mm on the original 35/36mm so when you scale it up, it becomes 22mm.

Pay attention at the back.

Eddie

Sorry, sir.

I will take a hundred lines.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz
    Custom end links are a good idea. There is one vendor on the forums that makes soild end pieces for standard oyster style bracelets, that are customised for each case e.g Seiko 6105, 6309.

I've got one set each for my 6106 and 6309 and share the super oyster bracelet between them as I see fit or get bored with the strap on them.

would you be able to pm me his details, it would be much appreciated, I am dying to get a bracelet for my 14, if i have the endpieces i have an old omega PO bracelet that will probably work. otherwise I am going to have to cave in and get the omega bracelet that everybody else uses, 1171 from memory?

And for me the bracelet, these watches just need them, am glad we have the vantage and the speedbird coming on bracelets, coming soon???????????????????????????

Yes, 1171 bracelet and 633 end links. Like this: http://www.cousinsuk.com/searchresults. ... t=1171_633

I'm afraid I can't come to terms with a bracelet bearing one brand on a watch bearing another.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Yes, 1171 bracelet and 633 end links. Like this: http://www.cousinsuk.com/searchresults. ... t=1171_633
    Cheers

I'm afraid I can't come to terms with a bracelet bearing one brand on a watch bearing another.
    And straps? ;)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn
    Sounds like a good idea. Standard bracelet interchangeable for a number of models, and then you can order the first with the full set of bracelets, the second without (but both models would be offered with bracelet or strap), and then see how customer demand develops ...
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Eddie
    My experience also. I have two of these white elephants sitting unused in my strap box at home :roll:

Any thoughts on a Time Factors mesh? The Omega mesh looks great on a number of watches and it would be nice to have a TF version to go with my Precistas and other TF watches. I'd think this might satisfy a lot of the bracelet demand and not require any customisation.

Sorry but a watch that comes with a bracelet is a non-starter for me, the bracelet would never get worn and would make it very hard to justify the higher purchase cost to me.

Master

I ordered a PRS3 with bracelet but never wore the bracelet. (the watch came with a free rhino :D )

Journeyman

My vote would be for no bracelet.

Journeyman

ooh, tough one. what type of bracelet would it be? would the endlink be alll solid attaching to the first link like on Omega Seamaster Pro or would the first link have the spring bar pass through it like on a Sinn 656/356? I greatly prefer the latter, since the former effectively extends the case making it longer.
    bracelet is usually nice to have IMHO, but to keep the price down on this one, I could live without it.

My vote is for bracelet, for sure. But a) the lack of bracelet would not be something decissive for not buying the watch and b) 500 is a lot of bracelets....So, whatever you do, I will probably buy it anyway... a totally useless response, I think :?

Craftsman

So you have movements then?

It always has been. It's 20mm on the original 35/36mm so when you scale it up, it becomes 22mm.

Pay attention at the back.

Eddie

I prefer a bracelet to be available for a watch, and fitted end links are always preferable to generic straight ends. Mind you, that doesn't mean everyone who wants a PRS-3 will want a bracelet, it's a style that people seem to wear on NATOs more often.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Journeyman

I think a 500 piece min with bracelet will be difficult to sell. I like a bracelet and would pay the price because it is a good value compared to other brands. That is just a lot of stock, even if the deliveries are time phased.

I would suggest you stay with the ETA, at least that is my preferance.

DaveB

It’s probably sacrilege but I can't think of a better companion to the Vanguard and the PRS-3 than the heavy Seiko Oysters you can readily source from the Far East. These may or may not be genuine Seiko parts but the certainly are Seiko quality. Yobokies seems to have access to them at around £15 a unit.

Custom end pieces and some cosmetic surgery on the clasp and you are as close to the ultimate bracelet as makes no difference for well less £20 on a significant order.

Looks like there will be no bracelet for the PRS-3 then.

Eddie