closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steel skydweller opinions/views

Steel skydweller opinions/views

Whilst waiting patiently for a gmt chnr, my AD has thrown a curve ball and said I can have a white dial steel skydweller next week. I must confess, I tried a two tone version on and wasn’t overly impressed enough that I’d choose this over the chnr (bearing in mind I’ve not seen the chnr in the flesh). Sure I can appreciate it’s a complicated movement at a (ahem) reasonable price, but im not sure it sings to me as much as the sports models. I’m thinking of maybe passing on it so that someone who really wants one can enjoy it but there’s a niggly feeling I’m getting which says that the chnr may become more readily available in the future being a two tone whereas the skydweller may be harder to come by due to it being an all steel model. In which case do I buy it and see how I get on with it? I have to sell my two tone Daytona to fund the skydweller/gmt as I can’t afford them both so the only other option is do I sell the Daytona, get the skydweller and if the chnr pops up move the skydweller on? Any owners that can give me some feedback would be great! And any other opinions would be appreciated! Cheers!

Master
    Buy what you like the most not what you think will be worth the most in the future.

That’s the best advice you’ll receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Buy what you like the most not what you think will be worth the most in the future.

That’s the best advice you’ll receive.
    Not worried about what’s worth the most in the future, worried I may not get a chance to try the skydweller if I do change my mind...it’s hard enough getting a call from your AD let alone pass on a in demand watch...

Too big, unless you are “larger gentleman”.

Stick with the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Too big, unless you are “larger gentleman”.

Stick with the plan.
    I did think the proportions didn’t feel great for me...I’ve been wearing a sd4000 all week and I’ve realised I love the sports models. I just can’t seem to gel with a date just etc as I find them a bit too plain, maybe your right and I should stick with the plan..

Craftsman
    Tough choice, I'm still waiting for one and you should buy what you want.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Whilst waiting patiently for a gmt chnr, my AD has thrown a curve ball and said I can have a white dial steel skydweller next week.
    Do you mean you were on the list or did the AD contact you randomly?

Is it “still” sought after? After the initial reports of deliveries, I’ve seen very little of people wanting them or of prices going the way of the 126710.

If you like the size and proportions of the SDc4000, and I know I do, the SkyD is certainly a contrast. As much as I admire the complication, I’m not really that keen. Mind you, I quite fancy a white dial watch.

Blog Entries
    gmt chnr?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    gmt chnr?
    I think that's the new root beer. Chocolat Noir.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I think that's the new root beer. Chocolat Noir.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Correct...

It’s seems to wear very big (I’ve never tried one on) and looks inelegant to me. An excellent movement (annual calendar + GMT with unique interface and Rolex durability) at a good price, but let down by the size and design IMO.

I’d rather the GMT, but then I’d rather a Daytona over either so I think my opinion’s of limited use.

Just some personal thoughts on the the black dial Sky-Dweller that I owned, which may may not help you!

It fitted ok on my 6 ¾ inch wrist, though sits high.

I think in hindsight, though I was initially drawn to the black dial, which could also look slate grey under differing light. I think that the white dial would of been a better option for me.

My conclusions on the black dial is, imo, the hands, could be difficult to see at times, though that could of been my eyesight! The month indicator, which is the same on all the S/S models doesn't work with the black dial and could have been maybe white, which would of been more visible.

I think that the date aperture is smaller or certainly appears so, than normal to allow for the GMT sub dial.

Craftsman
    Does wear big but looks great in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    SkyD looks like a bloated, awkward Date Just. It's really big too. The CHNR is an utter, utter beauty, though I've turned it down twice now as it's over £10K!!

Master
    Two very different watches. I am very biased as I am after a CHNR, so would not consider the SD as an alternative!

I’m really having second thoughts regarding the skydweller. The chnr is the one I want. I suppose this is Rolex at its best, limit supply to make people think they are lucky enough to be able to even buy one of their watches..

Master
    I’m really having second thoughts regarding the skydweller. The chnr is the one I want. I suppose this is Rolex at its best, limit supply to make people think they are lucky enough to be able to even buy one of their watches..
    I was offered a CHNR last week, but as I’ve got the Pepsi, I would only be buying it because it’s a hard to get model, and not because I really wanted it.

It was a lovely thing, but as I was deciding it quickly became apparent that buying it, just because it’s one of the ones that’s desirable at the moment, was a bit daft really.

Same goes for you with the SkyDweller. My advice is don’t buy just because you think you might not get offered one again. Buy what you wanted in the first place. You won’t be disappointed with a CNHR, it really was very nice in the hand.

Craftsman

This isn’t going to help much

Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post

Wowzer! Great 2 watch combo! What’s your preference?

Craftsman
    Wowzer! Great 2 watch combo! What’s your preference?
    They are both great watches. The Skydweller is a beautiful big watch and the complication is fab, as well as the gorgeous black dial.

The CHNR or ‘Turdmaster’ as I like to call it is a very striking watch in the flesh. It’s almost impossible to capture the copper tones of the everose in a photograph (I’ve tried.... a lot) and you really need to see it in person. The movement upgrade is very handy and the added weight of the gold is subtle but re-assuring on the wrist.

I tried on all 3 dial versions of the Sky-Dweller, but concluded that for me, it was just too big for the style of watch. On the other hand I think that the CHNR is spot on and is a watch I would be happy to wear most of the time.

Journeyman
    That looks so dam good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Loving that watch. Need to call my AD and hurry them along...

Not that it matters but do we think the TT will depreciate like most of them do!?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Rolex isn't my thing really - at all - but I have to say that 'CHNR' is messing with my head.
    Bracelets are also not for me, so I have painted a picture in my mind of that CHNR on brown leather.
    Am I crazy?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of the sky dweller but they shift way over the odds.
    Id probably take it, wear it, move it on in favour of the CHNR. You won't lose anything by wearing it which is one of the plusses.

Master
    I’ve got a white sky dweller and I love it. It’s a great watch all round. I’m lucky enough to have some great other watches and it’s as good as any of them. I didn’t feel it wears big either, far smaller than say a dsb or sd43.

Though money shouldn’t be a factor in watches, reality is that it is, due in part to the cost. With that in mind you won’t lose out if it doesn’t suit you, though I suspect it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve got a white sky dweller and I love it. It’s a great watch all round. I’m lucky enough to have some great other watches and it’s as good as any of them. I didn’t feel it wears big either, far smaller than say a dsb or sd43.

Though money shouldn’t be a factor in watches, reality is that it is, due in part to the cost. With that in mind you won’t lose out if it doesn’t suit you, though I suspect it will.
    Echo that. Love the blue Skydweller I was lucky to pick up. I've had it just over a year now and it is going nowhere despite the huge prices they seem to attract nowadays. A perfect Rolex?

I also have the blue and have to say really like it. Prevusously had the WG on strap as I loved the dial but for some reason I just didn’t get with it.

So far really liking the Blue SD. Bracelet works much better for me..... The dial gies from black-ish to bright blue. It is defo chunky though!

Master

I have 6.5” wrist and SkyDweller wears just fine. Blue is the best of the three dials IMHO although the other two are great.

Master

Steel skydweller opinions/views

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    As others have said I concur with the above. I was messing about with my watches this evening and did say to the missus if i had to have just one the SkyD would probably be the one i would keep, mine being white/ivory which of the 3 is the one i prefer most, others prefer the blue.

I don't find it bloated, yes it has a certain heft to it but i like it and as above i think it wears far smaller that the SD43 and absolutely a dssd.

Whilst it is not a cheap watch the complication for the money compared to other manufacturers is not too bad.

I love it.

Bad pic

Last edited by Nev; 12th September 2018 at 22:11.

Master
    Love the Skydweller. For me, on the steel model the blue dial wins. The white doesn’t really do it for me, but then I have only seen pictures of the white dial whereas I have handled the blue.

It is not a small watch, but as others have said, it is not that large. Wears smaller than the deep sea, planet ocean XL and a number of other larger watches that I have had, which have all been fine to wear

Journeyman
    The SD is one nice watch but if you really had to make a choice...buy what you like :)

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I tried on all 3 dial versions of the Sky-Dweller, but concluded that for me, it was just too big for the style of watch. On the other hand I think that the CHNR is spot on and is a watch I would be happy to wear most of the time.
    Lovely! This is growing on me, may need to see if i can get on a list somewhere.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post

Its the first time ever that i like a bi metal

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Its the first time ever that i like a bi metal
    I’m the same. I’ve never had a hard on for a two tone until I saw the CHNR