closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer II Black Dial

Rolex Explorer II Black Dial

I am looking to pick up a watch to last me a few months until my wait list spot comes up for something else. The 216570 seems to fit the bill. I have an opportunity to buy one at a sensible price, so I shouldn't lose any money when I move it on.

Any members on here have one? I am wondering how it wears as a daily watch. I have tried one on before and found it a little bigger than I'm used to. Will I just get used to it?

I had one as a daily wearer for 3 maybe 4 years and loved it...
    sits very flat on the wrist so very comfortable and not the most recognisable of Sports Rolex so a good all-rounder IMO.

I work in construction and waste management and occasionally even get my hands dirty and it took everything I threw at it.

Make sure you buy at the right money though mate, I got mine vat free when they first came out (about £4.4k nett I think??) and was lucky not to take a loss on it.

Personally I would not. If it felt big before, it will be big now.

Without sounding negative, I think you will lose money in the short term and will have to keep it much longer to recover full price paid. It is a tough crowd here and selling a watch with a few months of wear will mean a lower price. Would you pay the full asking price for someone selling an Explorer 2 which has been enjoyed for a few months? I say this more so from perspective that the Explorer 2 whilst it is a great watch, it is not truly loved by all. I say this as an owner of the old Explorer 2.

Good comments, thanks guys. I'll hold off for the time being and see if I can pick up a GMT LN instead. I think they hold their money all better from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    Good comments, thanks guys. I'll hold off for the time being and see if I can pick up a GMT LN instead. I think they hold their money all better from what I have seen.
    Agreed the GMT will hold it's money better but what's the "sensible price" on the ExpII??

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Agreed the GMT will hold it's money better but what's the "sensible price" on the ExpII??
    It would be for £5000 and it's second hand in very good condition.

Impossible for anyone to say if you're going to get used to the size. 42mm is my sweet spot and I'd say the 216570 wears on the smaller side of 42mm.

If you get it at a sensible price you should (as you say) be able to move it at no loss. And if it's just for a few months I don't see the problem. Just go for it. I'm really happy with mine and if I had any ideas of going OWG (I don't), the Exp2 would be high on the list of watches to choose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    I'd say the 216570 wears on the smaller side of 42mm.
    I'd have to disagree with that, due to the lug-to-lug measurement. I've tried one a couple of times and it felt a very large 42mm to me.

Master
    I tried one on and I also felt it was on the large side for 42mm.

And they say if you are lucky the watch will ‘grow on you’.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I'd have to disagree with that, due to the lug-to-lug measurement. I've tried one a couple of times and it felt a very large 42mm to me.
    I have it measured at 50mm so not that excessive. But I might be coloured by having a 51,5 mm L2L Tourby marine

Master
    It feels like mumsnet at times...even my girly wrists can wear a 42mm watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    It would be for £5000 and it's second hand in very good condition.

Just for your information I paid £5000 from Miltons in Liverpool for a 8 month old polar recently, out of interest I asked Watchfinder what they would offer me for it and they said £4400 which I'm happy with seeing as it's a keeper for me.

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll probably trust my gut and steer clear of this model. If it felt too big on the wrist I doubt I'll love it longer term. I'm hoping not to lose any money in the interim so I'll either keep the money in the bank for the time being or look for something with more solid residuals.