closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pilot capless fountain pen

Pilot capless fountain pen

Thinking of getting one of these.
    What do owners think of them?
    Do they tend to get alot of use or are they more of a one hit wonder?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I’ve got one. I bought it for work on the premise that it would be more practical for note taking than other fountain pens. In practice, it was all a bit of a faff - I’ve switched to a space pen for work because it’s just more practical.

It’s a lovely pen though.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I’ve got one. I bought it for work on the premise that it would be more practical for note taking than other fountain pens. In practice, it was all a bit of a faff - I’ve switched to a space pen for work because it’s just more practical.

It’s a lovely pen though.
    faff why savvy?
    is it because it isn't easy to refill and doesn't take much ink?

Craftsman
    I used to have one some 15 years ago. I liked it a lot, but I'm a casual user so I can't really compare it to anything else than other pens in the same price bracket, where it held its own. It turned out, however that it had a design weakness - after about five years, the front with the clip (which I played with a lot pushing my finger under it) snapped off and there was no place in Slovenia at that time to repair it, so I stashed it away and got a Cross which I still use to this day. I imagine Pilot has since addressed this, but just in case, it pays to be gentle with it in that regard.

Pilot capless fountain pen

It was a couple of things. It didn’t take much ink so I ordered cartridges for it instead. They’re also quite small. Then the clicking on and off if you were taking notes intermittently (such as in a meeting) wasn’t something if allowed for and I felt it created unnecessary attention - (almost like a sub plot in a Seinfeld episode). Then if you didn’t click it off the nub would dry out.

I’ve switched to the classic space pen (60s version not the bullet) and it just works. Not a fountain pen though.

The pilots a lovely pen though. I’m just trying to get away from having lots of things that are lovely but don’t get used ( apart from my watch collection) but that’s a whole other conversation.

If you’re ever in London I’m happy to lend you the pilot for a week or two to see how you get on with it.
    Last edited by 5avvy; 3rd August 2018 at 21:34.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I use mine daily.

Great pens and allows me to use a fountain pen without the fuss of uncapping and finding somewhere to put it, I’m not a fan of posting my cap.

I use cartridges as opposed to a converter and they last a couple of days for me, no big deal swapping out for a fresh one when needed.

Master
    Love mine, great for long meetings. No frequent cap unscrewing or worse leaving your cap off and the nib drying out.

I've had a few of these, always seem like a good idea and nice bit of design, but the nibs are so soft and the clip gets in the way when writing. Also doesn't have the charm of writing with a fountain pen so I don't see the point unless you absolutely are determined to use a certain fountain pen ink in a situation where taking a cap off is too time consuming.

I also find they dry out easily and aren't very well balanced (top heavy).

Every time I get one I use it briefly until the novelty wears off and it sits there unloved until I sell it.

Many people swear by them though, so your ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    doesn't have the charm of writing with a fountain pen .
    Qué? In what way

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Qué? In what way
    With that little sliver of a nib sticking out and the biro-like proportions it's like writing with a £2 super-top-heavy pilot gel pen with a messed-up marshmallow nib.

Edit: You need to experience the nib to understand just how soft a nib can possibly be, so it is worth it for empirical evidence of 'stupidly soft' though.

Blog Entries
    I love mine.

Used daily with my other Pilot fountain pen. (Both fine nibs)

z
    Last edited by zelig; 7th August 2018 at 21:38.

With that little sliver of a nib sticking out and the biro-like proportions it's like writing with a £2 super-top-heavy pilot gel pen with a messed-up marshmallow nib.

Edit: You need to experience the nib to understand just how soft a nib can possibly be, so it is worth it for empirical evidence of 'stupidly soft' though.
    I have a fine nib on my Pilot Capless. There is no way I would desribe it as soft. It’s much closer to my Sailor HF then it is to a Pelikan EF.

Master

So you dont like it

Definately a marmite pen. The gold nib is definately springy, I write with a medium

Craftsman

Great!

I have one of them (vanishing point) and love it. Only issue is the ink smears more readily, but that's a function of fountain pens. I write a lot of prescriptions, so sometimes if I am signing them fast, they will smear, but otherwise, I love the feel, and the color of the ink.
    In any case, my handwriting is terrible, so I block print everything except my signature. I'd like pens more in general if I had beautiful handwriting, like my grandmother did.

Master
    Another Pilot Capless fan here. I have 7! The position of the clip takes bit of getting used to.
    Smooth nib I must say. It is not soft by any definition.
    As LuBee has pointed out, it is great for regular infrequent use.
    I've even managed to convince my friend to buy one!

I've been using one for a fair few years. Currently more favouring a Lamy 2000, but I'll be back to the VP I'm sure. Finer nib than an equivalent western fountain pen, though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I have one. Didn't use it for years as the nib was too fine and scratchy. Then I started using it and stabbed myself very badly in the thumb clicking it on with the needle sharp nib. Now I've bent it and it's even scratchier. Drat and bother.

Craftsman
    I have a matt black with fine nib that I use for general work duties. I love fountain pens, but my usage profile is lots of short duration use, with lots of time sat doing nothing, so my ideal pen is one with a click action; push lids and screw lids become too much of a faff when you're on and off all the time. Entre the Pilot capless/vanishing point which ticks all the boxes for me - a fountain pen with a click action :)

The only drawback I've found to the matt black is that after lots of use, I'm getting a few scratches to the finish which show through the brass of the barrel. I'd prefer a more durable finish on such a (relatively) high priced pen, but am able to do almost invisible repairs with a permanent marker. Otherwise it seems well engineered and the concept is terrific if you want/need a retracting fountain pen.

Cult Pens have 10% off Pilot Capless for a limited period.

Cheers Phil. I ordered one those bad boys and it was brought to my door by my local area delivery operative this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Phil. I ordered one those bad boys and it was brought to my door by my local area delivery operative this morning.

Master
    Which one did you choose? Just out of curiosity!

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Which one did you choose? Just out of curiosity!
    Yellow. Really pleased with the colour choice.
    The blue carbonesque was also a front runner.
    Love the look of the rad3n water effect, but I'm not quite that decadent/ self indulgent. Yet.

Not too sure about the pen yet, but the perspex box it comes in is certainly a quality item!

I have a carbonesque black and I really like it, a very cool pen. I don't use it as much as I'd like as I have a medium nib and find it a bit thick for note taking at work.

Master
    I can't use the damn things because the clip is in an awkward place for me and the ink capacity is inconveniently small. I tried one but passed it on to a member of the family who didn't complain! Nice idea, decent nib, but not for me.

Master
    Bought a Lamy 2000 fountain pen a few weeks ago and also a 2000 series ballpoint. The fountain pen especially is great.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Bought a Lamy 2000 fountain pen a few weeks ago .
    I'm also rocking one of those bad boys and it is absolutely dope

Master
    I'm also rocking one of those bad boys and it is absolutely dope
    Around £124 from Cult Pens right now. You won’t regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Around £124 from Cult Pens right now. You won’t regret it.
    Bought one a couple of weeks ago Sean. Love it.