closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pelagos bezel lume has fallen out

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    galvanic corrosion
    It’s not just the bronze that has this issue.

I have a BB red ETA bought off this good forum. The crown tube had pitting as a result of galvanic corrosion (most likely from use in sea water). It was well out of warranty but Tudor replaced it free of charge.
    They recommend that all black bays are washed regularly to remove any sea water / sweat which can cause the issue where the stainless steel meets the aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    The bezel, like the case of the watch (except for the back which is stainless steel) is aluminized bronze. This material is highly corrosion resistant, and excellent for marine applications. It's especially popular with boat propellers. Look at the case-it's pretty much as messed up as the bezel insert. The insert itself is aluminum, and clearly far more susceptible to whatever the watch was exposed to. Your chemistry memories aside, I think Tudor probably tested the watch extensively in salt water before selling to the public. Pure bronze does have issues w/ salt water, but when alloyed with other metals (like aluminum) does quite well in the ocean.
    If it is galvanic corrosion, the bronze isn’t corroding in the normal sense, like rust or acid pitting. It is more of an electrical effect. Aluminium ions flow from the bezel onto the bronze. That leaves holes in the bezel and rough deposits on the bronze. It is a natural effect when 2 different metals complete a circuit through a conducting liquid, like a battery.

The type of bronze makes a difference but only in that if it has similar ‘nobility’ to aluminium the effect will be less. Bronze ship propellors are often protected by sacrificial anodes, which will attract the metal ions coming from the hull etc. , otherwise they would end up looking like that right hand case. Sea water only makes a difference because it conducts electricity very well. The same thing can happen in fresh water.

I am reaching the limits of my chemistry A-Level + google-fu :). Someone with a bit more recent practical experience may be able to explain it better and correct any mistakes I have made. It would be good to know if Rolex did test this out and have protected the watch in some way (e.g. insulating the bezel insert). Maybe the bezel on the right hasn’t been fitted properly or there is a manufacturing fault.

Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    It’s not just the bronze that has this issue. I have a BB red ETA bought off this good forum. The crown tube had pitting as a result of galvanic corrosion (most likely from use in sea water). It was well out of warranty but Tudor replaced it free of charge. They recommend that all black bays are washed regularly to remove any sea water / sweat which can cause the issue where the stainless steel meets the aluminium.
    Very interesting to hear. I warned people about Tudor using aluminium collars on the BB and was loudly poo-pooed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Very interesting to hear. I warned people about Tudor using aluminium collars on the BB and was loudly poo-pooed.
    Always good to be vindicated. ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    It’s not just the bronze that has this issue.

I have a BB red ETA bought off this good forum. The crown tube had pitting as a result of galvanic corrosion (most likely from use in sea water). It was well out of warranty but Tudor replaced it free of charge.
    They recommend that all black bays are washed regularly to remove any sea water / sweat which can cause the issue where the stainless steel meets the aluminium.
    Yep. That aluminum crown spacer is ugly, mechanically unnecessary, AND bad engineering.

My Pelagos is back - they’ve given the case and bracelet a refresh as well as the new bezel. Looks good as new.
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    My Pelagos is back - they’ve given the case and bracelet a refresh as well as the new bezel. Looks good as new.
    Steve

When mine was sent off they explicitly told me they would not re-finish the case and bracelet unless the watch was being serviced. I even asked for it and was willing to pay so you have done well there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Yep. That aluminum crown spacer is ugly, mechanically unnecessary, AND bad engineering.
    Presumably this is why the spacer/winder tube on the new GMT is stainless steel?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Good to see Tudor standing behind their product in your case. Congrats on a splendid result.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Presumably this is why the spacer/winder tube on the new GMT is stainless steel?
    Tudor should issue a recall on the BB and replace the aluminium with a stainless collar in that case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Tudor should issue a recall on the BB and replace the aluminium with a stainless collar in that case.
    They should just redesign the crown/tube and fit a conventional crown. It would be more functional and less silly looking.

Sorry for bumping an oldie, but I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with Tudor repairing this Pelagos bezel lume issue out of warranty? The two markers either side of the 20 on mine has developed the issue, however I don't really fancy dropping £500 on a new bezel when it's not super noticeable in normal light!

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Sorry for bumping an oldie, but I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with Tudor repairing this Pelagos bezel lume issue out of warranty? The two markers either side of the 20 on mine has developed the issue, however I don't really fancy dropping £500 on a new bezel when it's not super noticeable in normal light!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Personally, I would take this bezel issue in to my local Tudor dealer and ask for a warranty repair, even if it's out of warranty. The bezel lume should not be falling out especially if there are no signs of wear or damage.
    Last edited by j111dja; 2nd June 2022 at 20:51.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Personally, I would take this bezel issue in to my local Tudor dealer and ask for a warranty repair, even if it's out of warranty. The bezel lume should not be falling out especially if there are no signs of wear or damage.
    Thanks, I will be giving it a go. When doing a Google search there seems to be inconsistencies with whether Tudor agree to repair this FOC outside warranty, so fingers crossed.

Sent using Tapatalk

You would think they would fix the issue as the bezel is obviously not fit for purpose if this happens. It’s likely wishful thinking on my part as an owner through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Thanks, I will be giving it a go. When doing a Google search there seems to be inconsistencies with whether Tudor agree to repair this FOC outside warranty, so fingers crossed.

Sent using Tapatalk
    It's consumer rights. It's worth a go. Be persistent. Don't just agree with what they have to say if it's a no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You would think they would fix the issue as the bezel is obviously not fit for purpose if this happens.
    Absolutely.

Well a month on and my Pelagos is back from Tudor having had its bezel (possibly just the insert I guess) changed free of charge. Hopefully they have resolved this issue with the latest batch......time will tell!

Obviously disappointing that the issue happened in the first place, however I'm pleased with the customer service after reading stories of poor customer service from Rolex/Tudor with similar circumstances.

Check your bezel insert lume on your Pelagos', folks!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ive heated this happening quite a lot on the Pelagos via various Tudor forums. Ive had several and thankfully never had that issue but must be very annoying all the same.

Master
    Bit of a thread resurrection here, but I put this back on today and...

Bought new from an AD in December 2021, so a bit disappointed in truth.
    Obviously not much I can do right this moment, but is it recommended to go back to the AD, or straight to Tudor. Had this happened last week I could have dropped it off at St James Square as I was down there on Monday, typical. I've no doubt Tudor will sort it out though.
    Still, gives me an opportunity to get this out (best set the time and date though);

Edit; I've just sent an email off to here; london.service@rolex.co.uk , lets see what they say.
    Last edited by Beanie; 15th July 2022 at 18:27.

Master
    A bit of an update for those who are interested;
    A friend, who was visiting London, kindly dropped the Pelagos off for me at St James Square on 25/07/22.
    Today, I spoke to a nice chap at the service centre and was told that there are supply issues for the Pelagos bezel, and that it would require a complete bezel and not just an insert. As there are a lot of watches awaiting this repair (and the number 50 was dropped during our conversation), this has been escalated to the mother ship in Switzerland. Apparently this has worked because the previous ETA for them was to be "the end of the year", but now will be the end of September, and these repairs will be prioritised.
    I did voice my concern that as fault this had been ongoing for a number of years and was reassured that the replacement bezels, of an improved design were being manufactured in Switzerland (where else?).
    In contrast, I sent my Longines HC to Swatch for a battery change and communication from them was timely and time scales were adhered to.
    I will update the thread when I have my watch back on my wrist, maybe best not to hold your breath.

Master
    I read on a Tudor forum the bezels with the fat text have them issues. Later bezels have thinner text. This could be the case in terms of a fix.

Master
    That's interesting thanks. From my picture above, can you say if mine is the older bezel, or is it the newer style.?
    It would be concerning if it's the latter, supposedly improved version, that failed.

Master
    That looks like the original fatter text bezel.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...gos+bezel+font

Master
    Thanks for that, I've just spent most of the morning on Google trying to find it!
    I think you are right, it does look like the fat font version, which is odd for a 2021 watch. Whilst they are not a hard to source watch, I did have to wait a couple of days while the AD had one sent to the store from their stock and I wouldn't have thought it had been sat on the shelf for years. I take it the serial numbers are random as per Rolex rather than date related.
    Let's see if it turns up, eventually, with the smaller font bezel.

Master
    I hope it does resolve the issue given they use the same bezel and lume build on both the new 39 and FXD!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I hope it does resolve the issue given they use the same bezel and lume build on both the new 39 and FXD!
    I was thinking the same. Time will tell.

Master
    Quick update; I received a phone call from the Tudor service centre today and spoke to a nice chap named Howard. Having previously told me that they had hoped to have the bezels in stock by the end of this month, he broke the news that it would now not to be likely until February 2023! My options being that I could leave the watch with them until the components turn up, or they could send it back to me unrepaired.
    I told him that this was not acceptable and that I thought it only reasonable for them to send me a new watch. Obviously, Howard did not have the authority to agree to that so the matter has been "escalated" by email during which I have mentioned The Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the necessity to effect a timely repair.
    I'm pretty cheesed off tbh, and have told them I expect an update at least within 14 days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Quick update; I received a phone call from the Tudor service centre today and spoke to a nice chap named Howard. Having previously told me that they had hoped to have the bezels in stock by the end of this month, he broke the news that it would now not to be likely until February 2023! My options being that I could leave the watch with them until the components turn up, or they could send it back to me unrepaired.
    I told him that this was not acceptable and that I thought it only reasonable for them to send me a new watch. Obviously, Howard did not have the authority to agree to that so the matter has been "escalated" by email during which I have mentioned The Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the necessity to effect a timely repair.
    I'm pretty cheesed off tbh, and have told them I expect an update at least within 14 days.
    I’ll be surprised they done give you a new watch. As you say, that’s wholly unacceptable.

Master
    I really would prefer my watch back properly repaired as it was a gift from Mrs Beanie for my 60th and as such holds sentimental value, but I'm not prepared to put up with such a delay.
    I'm not entirely confident regarding my position in respect of the Consumer Rights Act, as I have a sneaky feeling that my contract is actually with the vendor rather than Tudor, but I thought it worth a try.
    The other issue with a replacement is that if they took the same course of action for the owners of all the Pelagos with failed bezels (and he did mention 50 watches with them, I'll bet he shouldn't have dropped that) there may not be enough stock available and it would cost them a few quid.
    If I do get a replacement they may slap me with a NDA, so if you hear no more........

Journeyman
    Bezel issues have always kept me away from the pelagos

Oh no that’s a shame. I hope Tudor replaces the bezel for you as this seems more a more common than it should be ..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfury View Post
    Bezel issues have always kept me away from the pelagos
    You know, I had heard of issues before buying mine on the expectation that should an issue occur, Tudor would resolve it quickly and efficiently and it wouldn't be a big deal. After all, only the problems are reported on e.g. car forums.
    Seems I was wrong. Shame really because I do like it a lot, from memory that is.

Sorry to hear of the issues with your Pelagos. Seems like a very poor show from Tudor. I’m curious, fully lumed ceramic bezels seem to feature on quite a few micro brands - some at the very cheap end of the scale. Has this issue occurred with any of those I wonder?

Master
    From what I've read, Tudor dropped the ball with the binding agent they used. Either the makers of microbrands have got it right, or because of the small number of watches with an issue (as compared to Tudor), none has complained, perhaps accepting it at the price point.
    I'm wearing my Steinhart ocean one premium GMT (trips off the tongue doesn't it?) with a lumed ceramic bezel at the moment and have no issues to report. It's actually pretty good for a sub £600 Ti GMT.

Master
    Quick update; DHL dropped my Pelagos off this morning.
    It looks like the new, thinner front bezel has been fitted so hopefully the issue has been resolved. The repair was FOC under the warranty and took 16 weeks (well, the repair didn't, I imagine that took about 10 minutes). Oh and it came back with the rest of the watch in the same condition as it went as I would expect.
    Watch balance has been restored in the Beanie household and I just need to start enjoying it again.

Master
    I've had my Pelagos for over 8 years now and Ive not had the issue. I use it as my holiday watch so it gets a tougher time that my other watches, out in the hot, direct sunlight and rapid cooling as i jump in the pool but all is still well, touch wood, with the lume. Must be worth a fortune now too, fat font, MK1 Pelagos!

Edit; just done some googling and I cant tell any difference between the bezels!
    Last edited by stefaulkner; 18th November 2022 at 13:50.

Master
    I think I can see the difference in the link above, and I think mine now has the thinner font. That being said, without both in front of me to compare directly I can't categorically state that's the case and after 16 weeks I had virtually forgotten what it looked like.
    I'm glad you've had sterling service from yours, that's what I was expecting from mine.