closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larger, luxurious cars!

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Whilst on the topic of Range Rovers and derivatives etc, I'm not sure I could ever buy a car designed like this:

Once it's pointed out to you that that car looks like a stroke victim, it's all you can see in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Once it's pointed out to you that that car looks like a stroke victim, it's all you can see in it.
    It looks crap from the side view too- don’t know what they were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I’ve had top of the range Merc’s, Audi’s and BMW’s but for me the XJR’s was the most overall ‘luxurious’ saloon experience of them all, particularly the ride.

R
    I find this really interesting - are you comparing like-for-like in both model and its year?

I found the X350 to be very comfortable and arm-chair like in its ride setup but a definite step below the equivalent 7 series/S-class/A8 which were more composed on anything which wasn't a motorway. The interior on the X351 (2009-) is exceptional though and blows the German equivalents away for style. Comments still stand on the less sophisticated ride by comparison though but at this level of refinement they are all incredibly comfortable.

Buying a car for 10k which originally sold for 100k is risky. If anything goes wrong, which is fairly likely on an older car ots going to get very expensive. 7 series and S class mercs arent cheap to run.

Quote Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
    Buying a car for 10k which originally sold for 100k is risky. If anything goes wrong, which is fairly likely on an older car ots going to get very expensive. 7 series and S class mercs arent cheap to run.
    This is completely true however I think there is still a lot of consumer surplus to be drawn out of these cars if you keep things realistic and DEFINITELY run/account for a backup repair fund. The UK still has an incredibly cheap second hand car market and there is so much quality/car available for relatively little money if only you don't delude yourself into thinking it will run 100% smoothly and not throw up issues.

When you look at the price of the car you're buying, add 30% of it into a backup fund, mentally write it off, and enjoy your exceptionally comfortable car.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    This is completely true however I think there is still a lot of consumer surplus to be drawn out of these cars if you keep things realistic and DEFINITELY run/account for a backup repair fund. The UK still has an incredibly cheap second hand car market and there is so much quality/car available for relatively little money if only you don't delude yourself into thinking it will run 100% smoothly and not throw up issues.

When you look at the price of the car you're buying, add 30% of it into a backup fund, mentally write it off, and enjoy your exceptionally comfortable car.
    If i had 10k to spend i wouldnt be going anywhere near an S class or equivalent, a 10% fund will get eaten up extremely quickly by the mosy minor of problems
    Maybe if i was a mechanic id give it a go.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    How about a Lexus GS or maybe a VW Phaeton?

Master
    I think I would look at Lexus for this sort of thing or if you want a jag bmw or merc I would be looking for one that had lots of money recently spent on it and read up on Their typical problems,

I would still be suspicious of some thing like this eg is it being sold cos something that's going to cost a kings ransome is going to go bang in a couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    How about a Lexus GS or maybe a VW Phaeton?
    I omitted to mention in in my previous posts but I ran a 56 plate GS300 for 15,000 miles and it was excellent. It did, however, need a gearbox rebuild at a cost of ~£1,500. Engine is bulletproof with regular servicing and I believe my gearbox failure was somewhat of an anomaly? My father went a bought his own one for ~£4.5k with 90,000 miles on it after being impressed with mine. Excellent refinement and ride quality, much more removed and coddled (may or may not be a good thing) than a comparable 5 Series.

Mine did have the odd interior creak so make sure to test drive it thoroughly and have a good listen and feel for the cabin and the state it's in. It's quiet enough that you will notice creaks which would be drowned out in your average car.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I'm not sure. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the design meeting where thus decision was made! Just looks wrong to me.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
    Discos have always had asymmetric rears, back to the first one with tail gate mounted spare wheel. There's no reason for this one though.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Discos have always had asymmetric rears, back to the first one with tail gate mounted spare wheel. There's no reason for this one though.
    It looked OK with the square number plate though!

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think thats why it looks so off, form over function doesnt work when the form looks terrible. Discos were all about maximum functionality.

Master
    If i had 10k to spend i wouldnt be going anywhere near an S class or equivalent, a 10% fund will get eaten up extremely quickly by the mosy minor of problems
    Maybe if i was a mechanic id give it a go.

My dad had a 1998 430 S Class (well over 10 year old when he bought it) and it didn’t miss a beat in over 5 years of ownership.
    He paid £1850 for it on EBay and showed it no respect whatsoever. He never even serviced it in that time. If the oil got a bit low, he topped it up, it never had an oil change in all the time he owned it.

The VW Phaeton should be an interesting value prospect, if a little too understated.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Maybe not....
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Not really no, just sayin'......
    Had my 2002 L322 V8 Range Rover since 2012 and only had one single problem.
    A short section of radiator hose started to leak.
    £7.98 from a land rover main dealer and push fit at both ends.

On the other hand my 2005 XC70 Volvo has had non stop problems, in fact the most problematic car i've ever owned.

"Just sayin".

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Had my 2002 L322 V8 Range Rover since 2012 and only had one single problem.
    A short section of radiator hose started to leak.
    £7.98 from a land rover main dealer and push fit at both ends.

On the other hand my 2005 XC70 Volvo has had non stop problems, in fact the most problematic car i've ever owned.

"Just sayin".
    I'm pleased for you.

I'm a big comfy saloon fan - a couple of XJs, the odd Merc and I'm currently on my fourth A8.

However, I'd definitely be looking at Lexus here. Overall, they're just as comfortable as anything else and more reliable. The dealers are excellent too - I ran a GS300 and an LS460 for a few years without a hint of a problem and they're not a lot of money second hand. A rainy day fund and some sort of warranty might help too.

Good luck, it will be a fun search!

I've been fortunate to have used all the main suspects, out of the German contingent I preferred the A8
    over the Mercedes and BMW in that order, big fan of Jaguar, found the Lexus did what it should but quite dull,
    The Honda Legend is the best mix of Japanese engineering and German presicion, so for me it would be a Jag or a Legend.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I've been fortunate to have used all the main suspects, out of the German contingent I preferred the A8
    over the Mercedes and BMW in that order, big fan of Jaguar, found the Lexus did what it should but quite dull,
    The Honda Legend is the best mix of Japanese engineering and German presicion, so for me it would be a Jag or a Legend.
    All cars of that size are going to be a bit numb and dull, unless you get an S63AMG or M760i!

Let's agree to disagree, I've worked for Jaguar, BMW, Audi, Honda and Mercedes, and had many back to back driving days, as well as running many as company cars, but no matter we all have different opinions.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Not sure you have considered leasing but there were some great deals on the Volvo S90. Currently to be had for under £320 PM all in.

After reading this thread I have had a look at the S90 and I have to say a fair bit of car for the money.

I know it's off the 10k mark but looking around 25k buys a nice 17 plate example.

All cars of that size are going to be a bit numb and dull, unless you get an S63AMG or M760i!

Or an S8 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    Or an S8 ;-)

Or a M5

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I've owned a Jaguar XJ6 X350 for nine years, which cost the equivalent of a new Ford Focus at the time. Apart from new tyres and one new battery, the car hasn't missed a beat, and is a sheer joy to own. It has been one of the best buys of my life. Good luck!!

Journeyman
    What about a Merc ML jeep or equivalent, very comfy can be found for good value, plenty space etc