closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Sub vs Omega PO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad View Post
    I got it from the inventor himself. George Daniels, it's in his book, All in Good Time: Reflections of a Watchmaker

There may well be friction in the movement (I don't have enough knowledge about that) but there is none in the escapement, hence there is no lubricant in the escapement. Hence the beat rate (although lower than Rolex) never changes (unlike Rolex).

This is the reason Rolex and Patek rejected Daniels' escapement, the technicians could not go for a lower beat rate, even if it never changes.

He said his escapements did not require attention for 25 years, if that.

Of course other parts of the movement may require attention and Omega are wise to want to look at it every 10 years.

I am not bashing Rolex, the Submariner at 40mm sits on my wrist better than the PO.

Have a read of the book, very interesting, a remarkable man.
    Your initial comment sounded very much like you were advising 25yr service times, but now that the escapement itself will be fine for 25 years whilst everything around it deteriorates?

When I used to sell OMEGAs I was told that during R&D/initial roll-out of the co-axial escapement they tried it with minimal/no lubricant but had to reverse that decision as it was not giving optimal performance on mass produced watches made for every day usage, so do with that what you will.

I admire that OMEGA were brave enough to invest a lot of time, effort and resources into a new technology but the cynic in me sees it as a means of creating a USP in a crowded market that may not offer much additional tangible benefit.

Whatever the case, OMEGA and ROLEX now both advise 10 year service intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Your initial comment sounded very much like you were advising 25yr service times, but now that the escapement itself will be fine for 25 years whilst everything around it deteriorates?

When I used to sell OMEGAs I was told that during R&D/initial roll-out of the co-axial escapement they tried it with minimal/no lubricant but had to reverse that decision as it was not giving optimal performance on mass produced watches made for every day usage, so do with that what you will.

I admire that OMEGA were brave enough to invest a lot of time, effort and resources into a new technology but the cynic in me sees it as a means of creating a USP in a crowded market that may not offer much additional tangible benefit.

Whatever the case, OMEGA and ROLEX now both advise 10 year service intervals.
    Interesting to hear from someone who sold Omegas.

Daniels himself said otherwise, I do not have enough knowledge on this subject but perhaps Daniels' hand-made escapements were better than factory produced ones, I don't know (very likely LOL).

Banned

Rolex Sub vs Omega PO

Sub in this case , timeless , perfect proportions , has been perfected over the years and a better investment for a future flip

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Ultimately they are both watches in the luxury category - they both tell the time, have brand value/heritage, are on bracelets and waterproof - the rest comes down to personal choice.
    I'd say both in the mid-range category. If you want to make a step upside go with Blancpain FF.

To the current issue: I personally can't stand Rolex flat reflective crystals, almost opaque in some light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    I'd say both in the mid-range category. If you want to make a step upside go with Blancpain FF.

To the current issue: I personally can't stand Rolex flat reflective crystals, almost opaque in some light conditions.
    ROLEX most definitely operate in the 'luxury' category.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Why does every thread that contains the word "ROLEX" turn into a debate on value retention? The OP didn't even mention that as a criteria. Besides, why bother? We ALL know Rolex will always usually come out in front in that regard.

Trying to take my personal tastes out of the equation....

Bracelets:
    Both now have ratcheting extendable clasps for adjustment on the fly. Even Stevens on this one until you consider the added security of the fliplock clasp on the Sub.

Cases:
    The Sub wears lower which I prefer, not just visually but ergonomically.
    The curvature of the PO case design hides dings better though IMO.
    The display back of the PO is (technically) a greater point of fragility/vulnerability than the Oyster back of the Sub.

Crystal:
    If the PO is still double AR coated (top and underside) then it has to beat the Sub for visibility, as the latter always has glare due to no AR coating on either side.

Hands:
    Aesthetics aside, the larger/thicker PO hands provide greater visibility, further "enhanced" by the use of different colour lume.
    The finish/cutting of the hands on ROLEX have always looked finer/smoother to my eye however.

Dials:
    I think the variety of shapes used for the Sub's hour markers quickly, and better, denote the orientation of the dial in low light conditions.
    But my OMEGAs always glowed brighter (green lume) and for longer than the Sub (blue lume).
    *SEIKO beats them both though! ;)

Bezels:
    The Submariner has a much smoother action and better grip with the sharper edges.
    The raised lume dot on the bezel insert of the Sub is better to locate by touch in low light conditions/if not adequately charged. It's pronounced height does make it more prone to damage but can be replaced separately from the insert itself.
    If an bezel insert is damaged, ROLEX can replace just the insert. As I understand it, OMEGA does stipulate on some models at least, a whole bezel assembly is required (not 100% on if this applies to ceramic versions).
    ROLEX uses platinum PVD coating on the engraved bezel text vs. OMEGA's LiquidMetal in-filling. I prefer the look of the "cut out" text on the Sub bezel but I have seen slight unevenness of the application of platinum before.

Metal:
    If ROLEX's 904L is better than everyone else's 316 steel for corrosion resistance, that is what might just save a case from being scrapped after suffering water ingress. Additionally, it does take a polish better and allows for a fine graining and richer lustre that does make it look different. One for the keener eye...

Movements:
    The 8900 in the OMEGA has a 60hr power reserve vs. 48hrs on the ROLEX 3135, although this will jump to 70rs if you wait for the cal. 3235 to go into the Sub.
    I would say the decoration of the 8900 is more elaborate than the 3135 but with the 3235 will bring improvements in this area.
    For all the technology that can be discussed, it's ultimately all about how they perform: OMEGA now say 0/+5 seconds per day for Master Chronometers and ROLEX say -2/+2 for their Superlative Chronometers. For the sake of 1 second difference in the tolerances they allow, I'd go for what runs better more consistently, irrespective of advertise power reserve figures on full-wind.
    Unfortunately due to the idiosyncrasies of the wearer, statements on performance can be very anecdotal and inaccurate. That said, I don't think you'd go far wrong with either tbh.

So, on technical grounds, overall I'd go Submariner. More specifically, the metal finish, bezel action and security of the fliplock are big pulls for me.

Thanks for taking the time with your detailed answer.

The bracelet thing is not really going to be an issue for me, I want the P.O. on the rubber strap and deployment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Dent 99's assessment of the factors of both is pretty much spot on. I have both and the most significant differences are:

PO bezel is not as smooth turning as the 116610

PO Metas certified movement is incredibly accurate, mine has gained 2 seconds in five months, 116610 is +1sec per day

116610 has better residuals but you can buy a PO for well below RRP to mitigate some but obviously not all of the difference.

The sub wears much lower on the wrist but the PO had quite short lugs so can be fitted nice and snug so it doesn't move.

I love Rolex but the current nonsense around begging an AD to get on a list to then wait and possibly be anointed with a new watch sans warranty card etc is not a game I want to play, hence I looked at Omega and have since bought three.

The PO in it's current iteration with ceramic dial, liquidmetal, METAS certification and adjustable and sturdy bracelet is a lot of nice watch for the money. It could happily be my one and only but I'm pleased that it isn't :)

Craftsman
    Having just sold my PO to fund the purchase of a 16600 sea dweller, I feel like I am in a reasonable position to add some comments. Although you are looking at a sub, I think many aspects are still relevant.

I had a 45.5mm 8500 PO and really enjoyed wearing the watch. It had substantial wrist presence and was an enjoyable piece. I had however always lusted over a five digit reference dweller. Being a larger man though (6'3" and quite solidly built) I was concerned that the 40mm case size would be dwarfed.

Having had the Rolex on my wrist for the last week, I will say that it was absolutely the right decision to sell the PO. Whilst the omega was a great watch, every subtle detail and nuance of the Rolex feels a league above. The bezel action is smoother, the oyster bracelet is a joy and the overall finish is a step up. Even the second hand had a noticeably smoother sweep.

Of course you should purchase whatever watch floats your individual boat, but to me the omega was something I was proud to own, whereas the Rolex is a watch I love.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve owned a few Rolex in the past, a Sub, Explorer 2 and a deepsea. So I am familiar with them.

The reason I asked the question was to get opinions of the P.O. and I think I now have what I wanted to know.

I don’t want to go back to Rolex, I can’t justify the price and I don’t like that they are hard to get new and ‘the list’ in some AD’s depends very much on how many watches you have bought from them in the past (I have evidence of this from a colleague at work who gets preferential treatment from a particular AD, whereas I walked in and literally got laughed at).

On the other hand, you walk into any OB and get treated very differently.

Comments on this post regarding the METAS movement gives me a lot of confidence. I know the bracelet has the micro adjust, just like my 300m master co axial, so I know it’s very good. But like I say, I think I will be buying the P.O. on the strap, not the bracelet.
    Also, the P.O. has a better depth rating and to me, is much more legible than the sub and has no cyclops, which I really don’t like on the sub. The display case back adds a little extra as well. I haven’t tried the bezel action on the PO, I will when next in the shop. The bezel on the 300M is great, so it will be interesting to compare it to the P.O.

Residuals are not an issue for me, I’ll be buying used and will not be looking to flip, more to pass on to my Son (who does actually dive in the water, unlike myself who only dives my desk )

Why an I buying it? It’s because I’m not really getting on with the 300M Master co axial, I don’t like the vintage lume, the brown colour is just not working for me and the watch not having a date is also something I can’t get used to. The P.O. has really caught my eye.

Master
    There’s a chap on here who has mentioned on a few occasions that he constantly returns Omegas for QC reasons ( why buy them if this is the case ?)
    Just as unscientific was a discussion I had at work where a guy walked onto a conversation we were having about Rolex. His words were “ Bloody Rolex, Bloody Mont Blanc pens , I had constant complaints they made our lives a misery!” It turned out he had worked for Customer services at Selfridges . So perhaps QC is not always as great as we’d imagine.
    Anyway imho the Sub is lost a bit on my wrists and the most modern iteration has lost its charm with the fattened lugs . A bit of a Porsche Cayenne .
    Why have white gold indices ? What possible use on a dive watch apart from justifying the luxury pricing ?
    The superlative Steel they go on about is I understand £50 more per ton so that probably works out about a £1 a watch. Obviously every other watch that doesn’t use 904 is as soft as butter?
    Both watches ignoring what I said above will be extremely reliable solid pieces of kit. I personally prefer the SM300 look vintage to Submariner Vintage so I like the look of a PO.
    The Sub will hold better value but more recent Subs don’t fall into the vintage appeal market , nor does the PO so I wonder if modern Sub will be a huge climber .
    Get the watch you like , I’d have a PO over a Chunky Breitling for instance . I’d probably get a PO2500 and keep bags of cash over for a 2nd watch as well.
    Btw I’d buy a Rolex GMT tomorrow if I had the cash so I’m not a Rolex basher.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 1st April 2018 at 22:20.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    I’ve owned a few Rolex in the past, a Sub, Explorer 2 and a deepsea. So I am familiar with them.

The reason I asked the question was to get opinions of the P.O. and I think I now have what I wanted to know.

I don’t want to go back to Rolex, I can’t justify the price and I don’t like that they are hard to get new and ‘the list’ in some AD’s depends very much on how many watches you have bought from them in the past (I have evidence of this from a colleague at work who gets preferential treatment from a particular AD, whereas I walked in and literally got laughed at).

On the other hand, you walk into any OB and get treated very differently.

Comments on this post regarding the METAS movement gives me a lot of confidence. I know the bracelet has the micro adjust, just like my 300m master co axial, so I know it’s very good. But like I say, I think I will be buying the P.O. on the strap, not the bracelet.
    Also, the P.O. has a better depth rating and to me, is much more legible than the sub and has no cyclops, which I really don’t like on the sub. The display case back adds a little extra as well. I haven’t tried the bezel action on the PO, I will when next in the shop. The bezel on the 300M is great, so it will be interesting to compare it to the P.O.

Residuals are not an issue for me, I’ll be buying used and will not be looking to flip, more to pass on to my Son (who does actually dive in the water, unlike myself who only dives my desk )

Why an I buying it? It’s because I’m not really getting on with the 300M Master co axial, I don’t like the vintage lume, the brown colour is just not working for me and the watch not having a date is also something I can’t get used to. The P.O. has really caught my eye.

Hope you enjoy your new watch and post some pics. 👍

Craftsman
    I personally prefer the Sub, simply due to the fact I find the PO far too thick on my wrists.

It’s different for each person though

Grand Master

The Omega uses a Co-Axial escapement which is a recent invention. This escapement causes no friction and requires no lubricant and should need no attention for 25 years.
    Don’t believe everything you read! I assume you’ve read this.....or dreamt it!

The co-axial escapement, as used by Omega, does require lubrication and doesn’t tolerate wear very well. I know which I would prefer in a watch.

25 years without attention?...........dream on. The co- axial escapement is a good reason not to buy a moden Omega in my opinion.

The PO is way too thick, unless you have a big wrist it’ll look like a hockey puck. Original 42mm cal 2500 was OK, current one definitely isn’t.

If the OP’s considering a Sub that’s what he should buy. The only reason to buy a PO is if you prefer it to the Sub.....and if that was the case you probably wouldn't need to ask the question.

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IME the PO is pretty crap as a tool watch, would be the sub all the way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Especially if the intent is for it to be passed along to a son someday; Rolex's design and quality advantages make them a better long-term bet than modern Omegæ, not mention that their looks tend to age far more gracefully.

Master
    Are you going to use a Sub or a PO as a tool
    Watch? Surely that’s been Seiko , Citizen , G Shock , Luminox , Hager , Marathon.
    If you were going to spend massive cash to actually dive with (call me crazy!!) why is a PO with twice the WR and really good lume rubbish?

Any watch, unless worn as jewellery, is a tool to tell the time.

Sub for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Are you going to use a Sub or a PO as a tool
    Watch? Surely that’s been Seiko , Citizen , G Shock , Luminox , Hager , Marathon.
    If you were going to spend massive cash to actually dive with (call me crazy!!) why is a PO with twice the WR and really good lume rubbish?
    Because they have a goofy external helium knob to knock and snag on things, and they leak often enough that the offshore divers around here don't trust them.

Many of them do wear Rolex, however; just because a tool's expensive doesn't mean it isn't good. And looking at current saturation diving day rates, it should be obvious that "expensive" is a relative concept.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IME the PO doesn't stand up to my work environment, I have seen three let water in and due to the moisture some indices fall off (after its return from service) and the orange Ali bezel insert fade to grey within 6 months in water work.

There’s a chap on here who has mentioned on a few occasions that he constantly returns Omegas for QC reasons ( why buy them if this is the case ?)
    Just as unscientific was a discussion I had at work where a guy walked onto a conversation we were having about Rolex. His words were “ Bloody Rolex, Bloody Mont Blanc pens , I had constant complaints they made our lives a misery!” It turned out he had worked for Customer services at Selfridges . So perhaps QC is not always as great as we’d imagine.
    Anyway imho the Sub is lost a bit on my wrists and the most modern iteration has lost its charm with the fattened lugs . A bit of a Porsche Cayenne .
    Why have white gold indices ? What possible use on a dive watch apart from justifying the luxury pricing ?
    The superlative Steel they go on about is I understand £50 more per ton so that probably works out about a £1 a watch. Obviously every other watch that doesn’t use 904 is as soft as butter?
    Both watches ignoring what I said above will be extremely reliable solid pieces of kit. I personally prefer the SM300 look vintage to Submariner Vintage so I like the look of a PO.
    The Sub will hold better value but more recent Subs don’t fall into the vintage appeal market , nor does the PO so I wonder if modern Sub will be a huge climber .
    Get the watch you like , I’d have a PO over a Chunky Breitling for instance . I’d probably get a PO2500 and keep bags of cash over for a 2nd watch as well.
    Btw I’d buy a Rolex GMT tomorrow if I had the cash so I’m not a Rolex basher.
    I buy them because I like them. But, they go wrong or have defects (Christ look at Seiko!). White gold is used because it doesn’t react or corrode, like some other materials - again look at the Seiko GS that was on here!

The expensive steel looks nice, and the price isnt the main issue it’s more difficult to machine.

I like both brands, obviously. I’ll continue to buy them, but I’ll reject any that aren’t right t the naked eye in the AD, and I’ll return any that go wrong under warranty - that’s just common sense.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    IME the PO doesn't stand up to my work environment, I have seen three let water in and due to the moisture some indices fall off (after its return from service) and the orange Ali bezel insert fade to grey within 6 months in water work.
    Seadog you obviously actually dive for a living I’ll happily accept that point .

If an individual gets no further than the seafront and hangs around with guys who wears Subs . Then decides on the basis of that , most divers wear submariners I’m less convinced .

It would actually be interesting to have one or two divers and ex divers discuss what they would use. I know a chap recently said he’d go with a CWC Quartz as he thought it was robust enough but whether that was for actual
    Saturation diving im not sure.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mark, there are many different watches used in saturation, on another thread I mention my mate using a 12.00 quid Casio which coped well, I myself used a SMP for years, it never leaked although the bezel faded to grey, it's just I have seen the PO's under perform quite a few times, hence mentioning it.

mike

Master
    At a tangent, seadog, other than Rolex, what other brands/models have impressed you in terms of real world durability and reliability as a diver?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    At a tangent, seadog, other than Rolex, what other brands/models have impressed you in terms of real world durability and reliability as a diver?

G shock.

Master
    G shock.
    Lol. I was going to guess that.

Any other pricey brands let you down?

Master
    On a technical basis, the Rolex uses a lever escapement the same as all mechanical watches do (except Omega).

The Lever escapement was invented about 250 years ago and it's operation causes friction which requires a lubricant.

The lubricant degrades with time and causes erratic behaviour, not a problem if you get it serviced every few years.

The Omega uses a Co-Axial escapement which is a recent invention. This escapement causes no friction and requires no lubricant and should need no attention for 25 years.
    Not true. Omega quote a service interval of 4-5 years, regardless of escapement. Omega's interpretation of the Co-axial escapement does require lubricant. Even if it were true, which it isn't, the rest of the movement would need servicing at the normal interval in any case.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Lol. I was going to guess that.

Any other pricey brands let you down
    no, just the PO's.

Master
    no, just the PO's.
    Well I guess I’m never going to saturation dive but I will remember to use an SMP over a PO when next taking a seaswim or snorkelling

I did hear a tale that the Comex branded Subs were terrible and that divers at the time much preferred the standard Sub or used other brands . Whether that’s true who knows.

Seadog you obviously actually dive for a living I’ll happily accept that point .

If an individual gets no further than the seafront and hangs around with guys who wears Subs . Then decides on the basis of that , most divers wear submariners I’m less convinced .

It would actually be interesting to have one or two divers and ex divers discuss what they would use. I know a chap recently said he’d go with a CWC Quartz as he thought it was robust enough but whether that was for actual
    Saturation diving im not sure.
    Friend of mine goes diving regularly he wears some sort of Citizen quartz watch as do most of the other divers.

Saturation diving, not a clue...

Craftsman
    Aquatimer 3536, job done.

Well I guess I’m never going to saturation dive but I will remember to use an SMP over a PO when next taking a seaswim or snorkelling

I did hear a tale that the Comex branded Subs were terrible and that divers at the time much preferred the standard Sub or used other brands . Whether that’s true who knows.
    I don’t think that’s true - but a lot believed their Comex watches were worth less the retail watches - as did some people buying them from divers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Aquatimer 3536, job done.

No microadjust on the clasp. Job half done.

I liked my 3536 a lot. The dial and handset were much higher quality than my PO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    No microadjust on the clasp. Job half done.

I liked my 3536 a lot. The dial and handset were much higher quality than my PO.
    They have a rubber strap to cater for that though. Many regard the bracelet as the best in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

The expensive steel looks nice, and the price isnt the main issue it’s more difficult to machine.
    Rolex fans like to quote things like this a lot. I've not seen any evidence that 904 is harder to machine, in fact https://www.azom.com/ states that 316 is slightly higher on the hardness scale. However both materials are very similar it'll make no real difference.

They also like to state that 904 polishes better and is brighter, yet nobody can visually tell an early 80's 316 oyster bracelet, to a late 80's oyster bracelet in 904 without checking codes.

What's agreed is 904 is more corrosion resistant to acids, which could be useful if dive in the stuff.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 2nd April 2018 at 19:27.

Rolex Sub vs Omega PO

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Rolex fans like to quote things like this a lot. I've not seen any evidence that 904 is harder to machine, in fact https://www.azom.com/ states that 316 is slightly higher on the hardness scale. However both materials are very similar it'll make no real difference.

They also like to state that 904 polishes better and is brighter, yet nobody can visually tell an early 80's 316 oyster bracelet, to a late 80's oyster bracelet in 904 without checking codes.

What's agreed is 904 is more corrosion resistant to acids, which could be useful if dive in the stuff.
    Some 316 and 904’s are harder than others.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...sc00812ded.jpg

Grade
    Tensile Strength (MPa) min
    Yield Strength 0.2% Proof (MPa) min
    Elongation (% in 50mm) min
    Hardness
    Rockwell B (HR B)
    Brinell (HB)
    904L
    70-90 typical

Mechanical Properties of Type 316L
    Description Type 316
    Proof Stress 0.2% (MPa) 170
    Tensile strength (MPa) 485
    Elongation A5 (%) 40
    Hardness HB: 217
    HRB: 95
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 2nd April 2018 at 19:47.

Master
    They have a rubber strap to cater for that though. Many regard the bracelet as the best in the business.

It probably was circa 2000. The bracelet on the new pilots watches is much better. Same easy to size functionality but with glidelock like adjustment in a much nicer and smaller clasp. IWC does a lot right. They also do a lot wrong. I wish they could get back to the 3536, 3706, 3227 days. They got complacent (thanks to Kern) and the other brands zoomed past them.

Craftsman
    It probably was circa 2000. The bracelet on the new pilots watches is much better. Same easy to size functionality but with glidelock like adjustment in a much nicer and smaller clasp. IWC does a lot right. They also do a lot wrong. I wish they could get back to the 3536, 3706, 3227 days. They got complacent (thanks to Kern) and the other brands zoomed past them.
    That's fair enough. Very few IWCs these days I would consider to be a good buy, however the 3536-01 is certainly one of them.

When I sold my PO I was in two minds whether i wanted the GST 2000 or the Sea Dweller.

Last edited by Spesh; 2nd April 2018 at 19:59.

Master
    That's fair enough. Very few IWCs these days I would consider to be a good buy, however the 3536-01 is certainly one of them.

When I sold my PO I was in two minds whether i wanted the GST 2000 or the Sea Dweller.

I actually own (rather owned) all three of those. My 3536 was remarkably high quality. The finishing was much better than my po2500 or 16600 SD. The crown was pretty crappy (known fish crown problem) and the integrated bracelet didn’t adjust properly for my small wrist. I eventually sold it, but still liked it very much.

The po2500 and SD remain.

Craftsman
    I actually own (rather owned) all three of those. My 3536 was remarkably high quality. The finishing was much better than my po2500 or 16600 SD. The crown was pretty crappy (known fish crown problem) and the integrated bracelet didn’t adjust properly for my small wrist. I eventually sold it, but still liked it very much.

The po2500 and SD remain.
    I think that comparing the finishing between the 3536 and 16600 is not necessarily comparing like for like. The IWC makes no apologies for being a single purpose tool watch, whereas the 16600 makes an effort to bridge the gap.

Both outstanding pieces nonetheless.

Master
    I think that comparing the finishing between the 3536 and 16600 is not necessarily comparing like for like. The IWC makes no apologies for being a single purpose tool watch, whereas the 16600 makes an effort to bridge the gap.

Both outstanding pieces nonetheless.
    The 3536 is better finished, at least in SS form. Much better.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don’t believe everything you read! I assume you’ve read this.....or dreamt it!

The co-axial escapement, as used by Omega, does require lubrication and doesn’t tolerate wear very well. I know which I would prefer in a watch.

25 years without attention?...........dream on.
    I was quoting the man who invented the Co-Axial escapement, George Daniels.

I don't have the time to scroll through the whole book on my Kindle for quotes.

Why not have a read of it yourself? It's a good read, covers all his early life, his watchmaking and his vintage car rebuilds/racing etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Good-Ti...george+daniels

Specifically looking at the PO via the Sub I’d go Sub as the P.O. has the poorly designed helium valve at 10 that is a water ingress magnet (has happened twice to me).

Re Omega vs Rolex overall (and this has been done to death) I’m not a watchmaker but I find the Omegas ever so slightly better finished externally once you spend more than £4K RRP (so no point buying a standard Seamaster and comparing to a Deepsea. On some comparable models the Omega advantage is stark (Aqua Terra vs Milgauss for example). I did used to think the Aqua Terra smashed the Datejust as well but the DJ41 is a significant upgrade and whilst I can’t get make a comparison with the new Aqua Terra as I haven’t owned one the DJ41 is going to be hard to beat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Specifically looking at the PO via the Sub I’d go Sub as the P.O. has the poorly designed helium valve at 10 that is a water ingress magnet (has happened twice to me) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would you make the same criticism of the standard Seamaster's HV or is this a problem specific to the PO?

Banned
    As I understand it, the helium escape valve is only designed to be used following saturation diving in order to alleviate excess pressure that has built up in the case during the dive. Having looked at the scematic diagrams of the valve assembly I find it hard to see how water can penetrate the case during normal use. Even if the outer seal fails the valve shouldn't allow water into the case. I do wonder how much practical benefit the valve actually has and if it's more of a fashionable design feature. I may well be wrong but, I can't think of another watch with this feature.

Grand Master
    Does anyone understand why the PO reputedly is prone to He valve leakage whereas the SMP isn`t?

I'm assuming the design's the same, I`ve had several SMP He valves apart to replace seals but I`ve never worked on a PO, can`t see a problem with the design.

On reflection I think there are only 3 reasons for choosing a PO over a Sub; you prefer the watch, it's cheaper, or the fact that it's readily available! It's for the Op to consider those factors, nothing anyone posts on here should influence the decision and that's why these threads are a bit pointless. They stimulate debate but that's about all.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    [...]nothing anyone posts on here should influence the decision and that's why these threads are a bit pointless[...]
    Considering that this particular thread includes information based on the professional experience of not only a saturation diver, but also a full-time WOSTEP-certified watchmaker who routinely services both Rolex and Omega, I don't find the thread entirely pointless. In fact, I'd find it quite useful to have their informed opinions to influence my decision. ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Considering that this particular thread includes information based on the professional experience of not only a saturation diver, but also a full-time WOSTEP-certified watchmaker who routinely services both Rolex and Omega, I don't find the thread entirely pointless. In fact, I'd find it quite useful to have their informed opinions to influence my decision. ;)
    Not if they fail to confirm your prior

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Specifically looking at the PO via the Sub I’d go Sub as the P.O. has the poorly designed helium valve at 10 that is a water ingress magnet (has happened twice to me).

Re Omega vs Rolex overall (and this has been done to death) I’m not a watchmaker but I find the Omegas ever so slightly better finished externally once you spend more than £4K RRP (so no point buying a standard Seamaster and comparing to a Deepsea. On some comparable models the Omega advantage is stark (Aqua Terra vs Milgauss for example). I did used to think the Aqua Terra smashed the Datejust as well but the DJ41 is a significant upgrade and whilst I can’t get make a comparison with the new Aqua Terra as I haven’t owned one the DJ41 is going to be hard to beat.

I concur with all your points.
    I had exactly the same problem with my PO.

And I think too that my Aqua Terra smashes any comparably priced Rolex.

Master
    ^^^ too bad they saved 3 cents and went with a black date disk over something that matches.