closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Left Handed Watches

Craftsman

Left Handed Watches

I'm left handed and I've always worn my watch on the right. A few months back I bought a Pelagos LHD and I love it. Now I'm thinking that it could be fun to build up a wee collection of left handed watches. The question is - what manufacturers actually have left handed models? I'm sure I once saw a Panerai lefty in an airport boutique once, is that a regular thing for them?

I'm happy I've got the perfect Diver for me, so next watches will be a dress watch and possibly a chrono.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Russian Vostok Amphibia lefty. Good value at 99 dollars for a mechanical watch rated at 200 metres.

I’m a lefty and wear my watch on my right wrist - and having owned a Panerai lefty, I actually find ‘regular’ watches worn in my right wrist more comfy. Sinn also make a few but I preferred the normal version weirdly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original Aevig Corvid is a lefty.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m a lefty and wear my watch on my right wrist - and having owned a Panerai lefty, I actually find ‘regular’ watches worn in my right wrist more comfy. Sinn also make a few but I preferred the normal version weirdly!

Same. Crowns against the back of my hand annoys me.

Master
    Blog Entries

Good thread, I'm a righty but have always worn my watches on the right .... no idea why, have always been intrigued to try a Lefty but not seen one I fancy ..... will keep an eye on this ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    I'm left handed and I've always worn my watch on the right. A few months back I bought a Pelagos LHD and I love it. Now I'm thinking that it could be fun to build up a wee collection of left handed watches. The question is - what manufacturers actually have left handed models? I'm sure I once saw a Panerai lefty in an airport boutique once, is that a regular thing for them?

I'm happy I've got the perfect Diver for me, so next watches will be a dress watch and possibly a chrono.

I believe the correct (or possibly just the nerds) term for having the crown on the left is "destro" but I have no idea why.

I remember someone, possibly here or Watchuseek, converted their Tudor Ranger to destro by rotating the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Same. Crowns against the back of my hand annoys me.
    I completely agree - I don’t understand why this doesn’t annoy those wearing a ‘regular’ watch on their left wrist. With the crown pointing up the arm there’s also less issue with catching on cuffs etc. It does prevent winding the watch whilst on the wrist, which I’ve done precisely never in over 40 years of wearing a watch!!

I completely agree - I don’t understand why this doesn’t annoy those wearing a ‘regular’ watch on their left wrist. With the crown pointing up the arm there’s also less issue with catching on cuffs etc. It does prevent winding the watch whilst on the wrist, which I’ve done precisely never in over 40 years of wearing a watch!!
    Surely it's only a problem if you wear your watch absurdly close to your hand.

If you wear it behind the ulna, it's not a problem unless you're wearing something ridiculous like a U-Boat (Who I see make a lot of Destros!)

I always wince a little when I see photos like this:

I can 'feel' that crown!

M

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    As another lefty I've often wondered why bullheads are not more common. Mind you I've not owned one (yet) so they could be a total pain for all I know. I was thinking about a prs40 to find out but they have been out of stock for a while - is there any news on a return to availability?

I have discovered that trying to use an aerospace on the right wrist is a challenge.

A left-handed watch isn’t designed to be worn on the right wrist.

It was designed to wear on the left wrist, with the crown on the left to stop it digging into the back of you hand or get caught on the whipped edge of your wetsuit.

There is some footage somewhere of Cousteau explaining this to a journalist who had asked why he was wearing such a watch.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post

It was designed to wear on the left wrist, with the crown on the left to stop it digging into the back of you hand or get caught on the whipped edge of your wetsuit.

There is some footage somewhere of Cousteau explaining this to a journalist who had asked why he was wearing such a watch.
    Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Surely it's only a problem if you wear your watch absurdly close to your hand.

If you wear it behind the ulna, it's not a problem unless you're wearing something ridiculous like a U-Boat (Who I see make a lot of Destros!)

I always wince a little when I see photos like this:

I can 'feel' that crown!

M
    I would never wear a watch below the wrist bone like that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I didn't know that. V interesting.
    So basically giving you normals a taste of what us weirdos have known all along ;)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I didn't know that. V interesting.
    So basically giving you normals a taste of what us weirdos have known all along ;)
    Hmm, I’m a leftie too

Rob

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah sorry Rob. I'd missed that when reading.

Craftsman
    I am also a left hander and wear my watch on my right wrist. I've often considered buying a destro as I'm a fan of being able to see the crown below my shirt sleeve (the left hand side of most watches look a bit plain to my eye).

I have maybe a very stupid question to destro owners - how do you hand wind it? Does it work the same as a normally oriented watch i.e. clockwise? Or is the movement in some way adapted to give the same 'thumb upwards' motion (anticlockwise)?

Master
    Panerai are an obvious choice.

Journeyman
    There are few Animal tidal surfing watches too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANIMAL-NE...0AAOSwL9paeu5b

When I bought my Sinn U1 and was thinking about a UX GSG9, I realised that (destro) version was designed to be worn on the left hand but to avoid ‘snagging’ underwater - in the end I realised the standard version worn on my right wrist (like all my watches) would work in the same way. It makes sense but seems to indicate that wearing a watch with the crown on the hand side (conventionally) is a bit daft as it’s more likely to get whacked and serves no useful purpose being more accessible?

It seems to indicate that wearing a watch with the crown on the hand side (conventionally) is a bit daft as it’s more likely to get whacked and serves no useful purpose being more accessible?
    That is certainly not true for non automatic watches as having the crown close to the wrist allows you to wind it up.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman

Thus implying that 99.9% of watchmakers are doing it wrong! If that was the only reason for making left handed watches then surely Rolex Subs and all other proper divers would be left handed. On the contrary the original LHD Tudor Subs for the French Marines seem to have been made for left handed divers to wear on the right wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Thus implying that 99.9% of watchmakers are doing it wrong! If that was the only reason for making left handed watches then surely Rolex Subs and all other proper divers would be left handed. On the contrary the original LHD Tudor Subs for the French Marines seem to have been made for left handed divers to wear on the right wrist.

I didn’t say it is the only reason, but it was the original reason :-)

Riiiiight.

I see.

Makes sense. I used to enjoy winding my Speedie as I wore it on my left wrist and had easy access to the crown.

So if I buy a left-hander to avoid crown dig, I'll need to get an automatic.

Master
    You might enjoy this article https://www.revolution.watch/southpa...esent/?archive

I have this one (PAM368) despite not being a lefty. Whilst the origins of a 'destro' might be wearing a watch on the right wrist as the depth gauge is on the left, as already mentioned the swapping of the crown to the other side has other benefits on which ever wrist.

Craftsman
    Great article thanks - I'm loving the El Primero Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is certainly not true for non automatic watches as having the crown close to the wrist allows you to wind it up.
    I’ve owned plenty of manual wind watches and not ever felt the need to wind it without taking it off first. It’s not really an issue either way, but wearing a watch on my right wrist with the crown on the right has never seemed odd to me

I’ve owned plenty of manual wind watches and not ever felt the need to wind it without taking it off first. It’s not really an issue either way, but wearing a watch on my right wrist with the crown on the right has never seemed odd to me

Always take mine off too. Feel might be putting undue 'sideways' pressure if done on wrist.

I’m a leftie and wear my watch on my left wrist. Never really been a problem although I suspect I have grown used to having a crown rub my wrist/bottom of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Always take mine off too. Feel might be putting undue 'sideways' pressure if done on wrist.
    Hmm.

I've just realised I have never wound a watch in situ on my wrist. So I may as well have had a left-handed manual.

Tsk. This forum does strange things to one's brain.