closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ressence watches. Any good or just bling for rich Boys?

Apprentice

Ressence watches. Any good or just bling for rich Boys?

Just came across this brand. I see they are using ETA based movements. Then again so are some other fairly pricey pieces.
    The designs are rather interesting and a bit different.

What are your views?

Absolute technical marvels. I'd have one of their liquid filled pieces over almost any Lange at that price point.

(That's not to say Langes aren't necessarily more mechanically impressive).
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 23rd January 2018 at 13:50.

Seems like a lot of money for a novelty watch that's unlikely to age particularly well, as well as a messy leak waiting to happen.

To each his own, but at that budget I'd take a Lange — or pretty much anything else.

They look amazing, I think.

Something truly different.

A LOT of money though, not sure I could be convinced they're worth it.

M

Personally I hate the dials and winding/setting the time through the base is a real no-no for me.

Certainly not cheap, but I wouldn't call them "bling"
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    RAJEN had a previous version, the black, it was amazing. A newer version I saw was grey which didn't work as well IMO

I find them quite interesting. Haven’t seen one in real life yet but would love to check one out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I find them quite interesting. Haven’t seen one in real life yet but would love to check one out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That’s about where I am, really like the photos and idea, but never seen one & if I had the budget would probably purchase something else.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I handled several ones of them at watch events.

They are very innovative and their finish is impeccable.
    IIRC the setting and driving of the "hands" is over magnets.

Still a bit too modern for my personal taste, but most certainly well made pieces.

i love the look and was gutted when I first discovered how expensive they are... if money was no issue, I'd have the Type 5 (oil filled diver) in the collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That’s about where I am, really like the photos and idea, but never seen one & if I had the budget would probably purchase something else.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I feel the same. Really like them but I'm not sure I can see myself handing over my own hard earned cash for one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Absolute technical marvels. I'd have one of their liquid filled pieces over almost any Lange at that price point.

(That's not to say Langes aren't necessarily more mechanically impressive).
    Really? Any ALS? That's a bold statement.

I recognise your name from OCUK.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Really? Any ALS? That's a bold statement.

I recognise your name from OCUK.
    I didn't say that though did I. If you read what you quoted, there are two qualifiers in there, being 'almost any' and 'at that price point'.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Same here. They're quite refreshing imo. I don't think they're blingy at all.

I like the idea, but searching around on the face for which hands are which seems daft. I get discount with work, which makes them slightly more affordable, but there's no way I'd spend anywhere near that much on a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I like the idea, but searching around on the face for which hands are which seems daft. I get discount with work, which makes them slightly more affordable, but there's no way I'd spend anywhere near that much on a gimmick.
    Indeed - these would be a non-retail purchase, if that day ever comes. I imagine the depreciation is pretty awful.

Craftsman
    I wouldn't say they were blingy - just fugly.

Master
    I didn't say that though did I. If you read what you quoted, there are two qualifiers in there, being 'almost any' and 'at that price point'.

Effectively your statement is pointless then as £25k is the entry point for new ALS models.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Effectively your statement is pointless then as £25k is the entry point for new ALS models.
    ...heard of the second hand market?

I don't know what you're trying to pick me up on, but it doesn't work when you don't read what I say. First of all you go for ignoring the qualifiers, and then you make the assumption that I'm talking about 'new'.

If you do a few moments of searching, you'll see there's a substantial amount of cross-over in the second hand market for Ressence and Langes, on for example chrono24:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ressence/index.htm
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/alangesoehne/index.htm

My original point of taking a Ressence over most Langes at that sort of price point, still stands.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 25th January 2018 at 14:55.

Isn't the new price of the 37 mm Saxonia under £14k?

In any case, I can't see too many people cross-shopping Ressence and Lange, given that they're near-opposites.

Can forgive the base calibre concerns because they’re genuinely different and interesting - the original black dials have good strong design too.

Craftsman
    I think they look quite cool and unstuffy. As others have said though, there's probably other watches you'd have before getting one of these.

Master
    ...heard of the second hand market?

I don't know what you're trying to pick me up on, but it doesn't work when you don't read what I say. First of all you go for ignoring the qualifiers, and then you make the assumption that I'm talking about 'new'.

If you do a few moments of searching, you'll see there's a substantial amount of cross-over in the second hand market for Ressence and Langes, on for example chrono24:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ressence/index.htm
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/alangesoehne/index.htm

My original point of taking a Ressence over most Langes at that sort of price point, still stands.
    Surprisingly, yes I have heard of the second hand market. I've bought more than my fair share from SC. I just think it was a pointless thing to say of you're going to imply that you'd buy a ressence over an ALS but then leave yourself a load of get out clauses to back track. Anyway, point taken, you like Ressence more than ALS. They are impressive watches, but not for me due to the price.

Actually I think the use of ETA is a good move, especially since there is no display back anyway and the main focus is on the design/time-telling mechanism. The servicing costs of an ETA are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    Actually I think the use of ETA is a good move, especially since there is no display back anyway and the main focus is on the design/time-telling mechanism. The servicing costs of an ETA are lower.
    It would be interesting to learn what it takes for a service of one of their models despite the ETA base, given the oil filling. No price list on their website that I can find.