closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK, how much different today than 1997?

And don't assume there will be a walnut in your Walnut Whip, bah humbug.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Don't even get me started on curly wurlies.
    Double deckers should be done for false advertising now.

Vast majority of what has changed here will also have changed in pretty much every other developed Western country.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Double deckers should be done for false advertising now.
    To be fair even the Swiss are in on it, take a look at Toblerones!

[QUOTE=ryanb741;4572610If not London I'd stay in Japan as much of the rest of the country is a toilet[/QUOTE]

Not been to Japan, but I've been to a fair bit of Britain, and London is definitely in the outside privy at the end of the garden scale...

If you only go to major towns and cities, London stands comparison, but not otherwise! (IMVHO, of course! )

M
    Last edited by snowman; 24th November 2017 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    To be fair even the Swiss are in on it, take a look at Toblerones!

M
    You mean like this one?
    https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk...4-5kg-bar.html
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

All the men have beards and all the woman have no pubes.

That about sums it up I think.
    Things could be worse - imagine if it was the other way round!

Hmmm, not sure i agree about this

I was born and brought up in London and thought it was the best city in the world. I remember actually feeling sorry for people who didn't live there. Nowadays i avoid it like the plague.
    I'm with you on this. I was born and brought up in (Sarf) London and then studied there at University.

After living abroad for a few years we moved back out to the Berkshire/Oxon borders, to a small village that also happens to be a fantastic community.

I travel abroad most weeks for work, but I would rather put up with a 10-hour flight than commute up to, and work in, London. It is a miserable commute to a miserable place,and I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

In 1997 wasn’t it a machine in the office that dispensed Nescafé in a flimsy plastic cup that burnt your fingers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in a council office yesterday, it's still that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Still the same in my local tyre fitters also

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    ... I would rather put up with a 10-hour flight than commute up to, and work in, London. It is a miserable commute to a miserable place,and I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get back home.
    If you can't enjoy London, there isn't a city on earth you can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    You are Samuel Johnson and I claim my five pounds.

What about Melbourne? Or Venice. Or Florence. Vienna. Barca. Paris. Amsterdam. Portland. Vancouver. San Fran. St Petersburg. Edinburgh. Yogyakarta. Etc etc

All great places (although I can't claim knowledge of Yogyakarta) - point is, London has a huge amount to offer, but like every other city has bits you avoid where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    You found a council office, that's amazing. I don't suppose there was anyone in there?

Oh by the way where councils used to get gazillions of pounds a year nowadays they're limited to only hundreds of thousands, all of which goes on executives pay (it's the market you know, you just can't get them otherwise) so don't expect libraries, street lights, roads without potholes, etc etc.

Strangely there are plenty of cities I enjoy - Copenhagen, Stockholm, Gothenburg, Oslo, Milan, Madrid, Turin, Cape Town, Amsterdam, Ljubljana, Nairobi, Beirut, Philadelphia, St Petersburg....to name but a few. If I had to pick out three it would be Copenhagen, Cape Town and St Pete.

I just find London a very impersonal city, largely as a result of the fact that it has a proportionately small resident population and a proportionately large commuter population. The result is that I find it very difficult to detect any sense of community in Central London. The other cities I list above manage to combine commerce and residential almost side-by-side.

But each to their own.

in most cities all the men have beards and all the woman have no pubes. And both have tattoos.

That about sums it up I think.
    FTFY

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Bloody mobile phones.
    Bloody computers.
    Too many Bloody Foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Bloody mobile phones.
    Bloody computers.
    Too many Bloody Foreigners.
    My dad used to make me laugh. We'd be driving around London and he would be moaning about 'bloody foreigners' in his heavy foreign accent. He only came to the uk in his mid thirties.

What about Melbourne? Or Venice. Or Florence. Vienna. Barca. Paris. Amsterdam. Portland. Vancouver. San Fran. St Petersburg. Edinburgh. Yogyakarta. Etc etc
    I love Yogya.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I just find London a very impersonal city, largely as a result of the fact that it has a proportionately small resident population
    Those 9 million people must see something in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Those 9 million people must see something in it.
    I’m sure they do.....and good luck to them.

I loved living in Central London when I was young, free and single, but now I look for a different quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I love Yogya.
    Iyengar or Bikram?

I’m sure they do.....and good luck to them.

I loved living in Central London when I was young, free and single, but now I look for a different quality of life.
    When i lived in London in my early twenties i always used to say that you needed at least two of three reasons to be there

1.a nice place to live
    2.earning shitloads of money
    and 3.a good reason to be there

If you had all three you were doing pretty well. If you only had one - well, it was time to move

When i loved in London.......
    You sly old thing!

I commute into London and while I do love working in the square mile, I much prefer to live in the country. I enjoy the history of London and regularly go for lunchtime walks exploring historical sites which I have researched. I just prefer to live somewhere quiet and lightly populated.

Master
    I just find London a very impersonal city, largely as a result of the fact that it has a proportionately small resident population and a proportionately large commuter population. The result is that I find it very difficult to detect any sense of community in Central London. The other cities I list above manage to combine commerce and residential almost side-by-side.

But each to their own.
    There’s more to London than just the central bit you know... the outer suburbs are where people live and where you will find the community spirit. It’s the kind of place that offers you different things depending on what you want out of life at the time. In my 20’s I lived in zone 1, in my 30’s in zones 2 and 3 and now in my 40’s (with a wife and 2 kids) zone 4 gives us the things we want like good schools, outdoor space, friendly neighbours and (comparatively) affordable house prices.
    Visitors tend to just go to the central areas and totally miss the ‘real’ London.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Visitors tend to just go to the central areas and totally miss the ‘real’ London.
    And Londoners tend to give those areas a miss as there's nothing worse than a wide eyed tourist getting in the way.
    I'm quite glad that places like Camden, Leicester Square, Covent Garden etc exist to keep them in localised clusters

Overpopulated, overpriced, polluted and over rated, with a widening gulf between rich and poor. Which is why I left!

You can now get a decent bento box or nigiri almost everywhere.. Seriously though, a good friend of mine moved back to London from Tokyo after spending there 15 years or so, coincidently, working in finance, lasted less than two years here and moved swiftly on to HK and then to Shanghai. I see him every year, and he is happy as a clam.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Just woke up on a bright Saturday morning and have been reading through replies. Thank you, some very thoughtful ones. My situation is that an opportunity in the UK may be available, and for the first time in many years I thought I'd think about it. The job would be in Canary Wharf. I previously worked there in the 90s, when it was a failed Olympia & York development. No Jubilee line, just the new and unreliable DLR from Bank or Tower Gateway. Two bars, one supermarket.

I lived in SW3 and Docklands was a lonely place, with a smell of decay and 80s over-ambition. An area to get away from each evening as fast as possible. The company I worked for was located there because the building had been collateral for their loans to O&Y. The South Quay bomb exploded nearby and some of our ground floor office windows shattered. The "ring of steel" was put in place. I left a year later.

I go back from time to time on business and it is very much changed. I can't see myself returning to SW3. I rented a room back then in a 4-bed apartment opposite the V&A museum with 3 others, and paid £380/month. Before I left, I considered buying a nice 1 bed place in an SW3 garden square, but thought it a little expensive at £90K. I'd need 3 beds today, and I'm not a Russian/Chinese billionaire. So somewhere commutable to CW, that won't gossip too much about my mixed-race family. It may not happen but I will continue to think about it. The curly wurly situation is concerning.

I seriously don't think you'll have any problems about the mixed race family thing. Unless you're half klingon of course, in which case, move to Norfolk

Unless you're half klingon of course, in which case, move to Norfolk
    Wouldn't that be mixed species?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Wouldn't that be mixed species?
    That’d be normal for norfolk

Crossrail will be serving CW from next year, so it will widen areas you can settle. Finchley has a sizeable Japanese community, in late noughties I used to go there for a proper sushi, not sure if it's still the case.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

UK, how much different today than 1997?

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    There’s more to London than just the central bit you know... the outer suburbs are where people live and where you will find the community spirit. It’s the kind of place that offers you different things depending on what you want out of life at the time. In my 20’s I lived in zone 1, in my 30’s in zones 2 and 3 and now in my 40’s (with a wife and 2 kids) zone 4 gives us the things we want like good schools, outdoor space, friendly neighbours and (comparatively) affordable house prices.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, I do know.

I was born and brought up in South London and lived there for 20 years.

Having been lucky enough to have lived and worked in various cities abroad for the last 30 or so years, and now settled out in the country, I have no desire to go back and live in South London either.

Just like way back on page 1 where some people who live in London think anywhere else in the UK is a toilet, I am just saying that London doesn’t do anything for me.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 25th November 2017 at 05:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Depends if you'd move to London or elsewhere. If London I'd come back - it's got much better - much more multicultural than 20 years ago and really developed nicely. Make sure your household income is at least £100k though or you will struggle to have a decent lifestyle in London (although easy enough to earn that in London as long as you are in finance, Law or solution sales). If not London I'd stay in Japan as much of the rest of the country is a toilet (Surrey, Sussex, Oxfordshire, Dorset, Hampshire and Manchester are decent though and I've got a soft spot for Glasgow too). All based on the premise that Brexit will get fudged and we won't have a hard Brexit. If a hard Brexit stay in Japan.
    As someone who moved to London from rural England (not somewhere remote, small town in south east) over 12 years ago, I agree with most of the above comment. I would personally replace Glasgow with Edinburgh though. The people you get to live and work with in London are on a completely different level compared to other places in England TBH.

Also agree with another comment that if you can't enjoy London, you probably can't enjoy any major city in the world. There's always plenty to do as an adult, for kids and the whole family.

The diversity (ethnic or otherwise) that some loathe is the greatest strength of London. You won't have a problem with a mixed race family.

I work both in Canary Wharf & the City and have worked in the West End in the past. The negative comments people still make about working at CW are outdated and ill-informed. There are loads of places to eat and shop (including watches!). Most big firms have excellent facilities on-site that are hard to get elsewhere due to space availability. Living-wise CW may not be great though, especially with kids.

UK, how much different today than 1997?

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    The people you get to live and work with in London are on a completely different level compared to other places in England TBH.
    In what way are they on "a completely different level"?

One or two immediately spring to mind....
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 25th November 2017 at 08:51.

More switched on? It takes ages to get a straightforward double espresso past M25..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

It’s funny how any thread like this is only two posts away from “London vs the rest of the UK”.

and probably only a few more away from Brexit.

One or two immediately spring to mind....
    Less provincial in attitudes, more tolerant*, less interested in other peoples business.

*except for dawdlers and people who stand on the left when using escalators.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Less provincial in attitudes, more tolerant*, less interested in other peoples business.

*except for dawdlers and people who stand on the left when using escalators.
    .. And men having an argument in the tube station

Single loud cough and smile usully does the trick
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Single loud cough and smile usully does the trick
    What are you talking about? at the doctors???

Having made the move from South London - Kingston specifically - to Norfolk, after over 40 years as a Londoner, I think the ‘differences’ are a bit overplayed tbh. Like there’s a fear that the world stops beyond the M25. If you think of shopping as a hobby, and enjoy being in crowds all day - spending ages to get from a to b on crowded roads or public transport, a road with 3 trees on is a ‘village’ and a park with a few acres shared between hundreds of thousands is a ‘wide open space’ and a yard is a large garden then I’m sure it’s great - it was for me but I grew to really dislike Kingston for example. I think income gets mentioned as you need to earn a fortune frankly to buy trinkets which blind you from the fact it’s a bit of a dump! The diversity bit is neither here nor there, I’ve just noticed how busy London is now, more people means higher prices, bigger queues and more of a social divide imho. So there are 2 sides to the coin I guess!

.. And men having an argument in the tube station
    Ronny Pickering?

What are you talking about? at the doctors???
    Ref to dawdlers and people who stand on the left of escalators, I have no time or desire to argue with anybody, I just want them out of my way as quickly as possible. A second spent in the undergound equals an hour in hell.
    Last edited by VDG; 25th November 2017 at 12:04.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

BMW 3 series and Audi A4 have replaced Cavalier and Mondeo as reps/lower middle management's weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    BMW 3 series and Audi A4 have replaced Cavalier and Mondeo as reps/lower middle management's weapon of choice.
    And everybody else is driving a pristine clean, rufty tufty, lookalike off-road, sports utility thing bought on the never-never.

Were people carriers still the big thing 20 years ago? Galaxy, Espace that sort of thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post

I work both in Canary Wharf & the City and have worked in the West End in the past. The negative comments people still make about working at CW are outdated and ill-informed. There are loads of places to eat and shop (including watches!). Most big firms have excellent facilities on-site that are hard to get elsewhere due to space availability. Living-wise CW may not be great though, especially with kids.
    If you could find a suitable apartment or house I don’t see an issue with living on the Isle of dogs or around, with the park and farm at Mudchute, parks at Greenwich and Blackheath, the great transport links will see you easily around town add in a nonexistent commute if you work on the Wharf I’d say there’s a lot to recommend it.

1997 Population = 58'000'000
    2017 Population = 67'000'000
    2037 Population = 74'000'000 Forecast

so it has made the roads more congested and knackered and the trains more packed the hospitals and schools creaking and a housing shortage.

but in the rural areas its still quite pleasant

have you considered the IOM ?