closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor BBB 79220B - great value for money

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It does seem great 'value' compared to Rolex but forgetting comparing it to Rolex price, does it stand alone as great value?

I find myself wanting one and looking at them quite often but when I think they're 6 times the price of a Steinhart Ocean vintage (with ETA) I do wonder if they're that much nicer to own.

Homage hate aside, the Ocean vintage is a beautifully made piece for the money and I guess you can apply the same thinking as the sub to BB price comparison. Reason I compare it to that is the vintage sub points on both.

Having handled the BB I do agree they're lovely but the value perception feels more linked to the comparison to Rolex rather than it's own quality. I find myself justifying a £2500 ETA piece because it's 'cheap' compared to a Sub. If it said Daniel Wellington on the dial it wouldn't be classed as value. I guess it shows how we actually value the Tudor brand too.

But... If you had a Rolex Sub, Tudor BB and a Steinhart O vintage all with sterile dials would the BB still be good value when you revealed all the price tags to someone with an eye for quality but doesn't know the brands? In fact you could argue the only watch that's justified in being it's price is the Rolex with something the others don't have, the exceptional movement.
    Without trying to dig Steinhart as a brand I purchased one and sent it back. It wasn’t even close to the finishing on the BBB ETA, and remember I am only talking about a specific model. I am not generalising about any of the brands. My point as the OP was I own several Rolex watches and I was really impressed with the BBB ETA and for the money, looking upwards towards Rolex value for money is amazing, movement aside, albeit its a very good movement.

May be worth you doing a similar post in respect of the Ocean Vintage and look upwards to determine/assess its value for money. I would be very interested as I know lots on the forum love Steinhart.

All being said each to their own and if your happy then that’s all that matters.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Tudors are very well put together. They might not use white gold markers etc. But I think they are right up there with the mid range brands.
    It's just a matter of time...