closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't like your watch, it looks crap (to me)

If I attracted the disdain of someone so ill-mannered as comment on *anything* about stranger's appearance, I wouldn't be able to help feeling that I was doing something right.

As for finding things "vulgar", I hope he hadn't spent his life doing anything uncouth as going to work, or, heaven forbid, been in trade. But I suspect if he's wearing something as commonplace and overtly practical as a Daytona - well, best to draw a veil....

Craftsman
    I think it’s also prudent to read the op’s post properly. A few times I’ve seen somebody post a picture of their new watch with a story of how they’ve acquired it and at no point do they actually ask for anyone’s opinion.
    It’s already been said but opinion is a subjective thing and you may not like my watch anymore than you like my dress sense or wife!
    If an op is specifically asking for an informed opinion on their watch then I would tell them what I liked or didn’t like about it but I would keep my opinions purely about the lump of metal on their wrist, not their personal tastes or lifestyle choices. Or what they should’ve spent their money on to please me. That’s none of my business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Is the Daytona a watch that attracts attention? I wear one often, and no-one has ever remarked on it, or even noticed, as far as I can tell. People in general don't care about watches. Why should they? Toys for boys; but I like toys.
    I was wearing my Daytona at Shelsley Walsh breakfast club, when a chap standing next to me at the breakfast bar commented nice watch mate...... He was wearing an old Datejust, that'd belonged to his dad....

I also had someone comment on my LV at the Superbike round at Oulton Park.....that chap was wearing an old 2 line sub..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I don't think it looks vulgar but he is entitled to an opinion and I am grateful he had the nerve to let me know. My pet hate is having someone notice that I am wearing a Rolex because it may come across as loud. I never wear the Daytona because that is an eye magnet and now the GMT seems to be the same as well as the Sub.

I tend to wear the Explorers because they are less conspicuous.

The main point I am making, albeit in a clumsy manner, is that it is always good to know what other people think and although the old guy was blunt, he was at least polite.
    Sell your watches, or wear long sleeve jumpers Mick. It’s the only way you’ll be able to get through life unnoticed.

I don't think it looks vulgar but he is entitled to an opinion and I am grateful he had the nerve to let me know. My pet hate is having someone notice that I am wearing a Rolex because it may come across as loud. I never wear the Daytona because that is an eye magnet and now the GMT seems to be the same as well as the Sub.

I tend to wear the Explorers because they are less conspicuous.

The main point I am making, albeit in a clumsy manner, is that it is always good to know what other people think and although the old guy was blunt, he was at least polite.
    He's entitled to any opinion, but did you ask him for it?

If you did, fine, but if he decided to give you it unprompted, I'd have to be tempted to think that he was a tad conceited to think you cared...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    It’s already been said but opinion is a subjective thing and you may not like my watch anymore than you like my dress sense or wife!
    Well, I've been told I've "given up on myself", because I don't spend £300 on a pair of shoes, on here, so clearly dress sense is open season and I can fully understand anyone not liking my wife - I struggle!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 15th November 2017 at 15:26.

I agree with politeness at all times but sometimes when you see posts that obviously just want affirmation of how wonderful the OP's taste is..........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    If someone posts a 'look at my latest acquisition' post and I don't like it, I'll stay silent, but if someone asks 'what do you think?' Or 'Yes or No?', then only positive responses (unless that is what people really think) makes the thread worthless.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    This is a good rule of thumb. I should use it.

I think criticism based on facts is helpful to the community. For instance, people might not realize that the new bigger Patek is housing a tiny old movement. It's good to know that when cross shopping brands who don't do that corner cutting.

Master
    I would want criticism of anything I own or wear.

I recently purchased a Rolex GMT11 (16710) with a plain black bezel. I had the watch serviced and a new black and red bezel fitted. A couple of weeks later I was wearing it in the jewellers and an elderly chap, a complete stranger, noticed it and told me he thought it was "a tad vulgar". He was wearing a SS Daytona, so was of the discreet variety.

Since then it has preyed on my mind and I am now in Spain and 3 people have noticed it and that does worry me to the point where I may no longer wear it and just pass it onto one of my sons. I hate bling and my 39mm Explorer and Explorer11 Freccione fit the bill much better. No one ever notices them.

So criticism is something we should all welcome.
    Sounds like a first class pr*ck. The bloke with the Daytona doesn’t sound much better either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If I attracted the disdain of someone so ill-mannered as comment on *anything* about stranger's appearance, I wouldn't be able to help feeling that I was doing something right.
    This guy gets it.

I don’t like your nose and feel like I need to punch it,only saying like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come and have a go ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I agree with politeness at all times but sometimes when you see posts that obviously just want affirmation of how wonderful the OP's taste is..........
    +1.......sometimes it's very tempting, especially when it's something expensive!

If a watch is unusual I can see why people post pictures, but why bother when it's something mainstream that we're all familiar with? Often I think a watch looks way too big for the wearer, but I`m far too tactful to point that out and piss on anyone's fireworks.

Paul