Concerning SEAGULL I've remembered what I've read in a German watch magazine short time ago. Then I've searched for the thread dealing with ASKANIA watches (Berlin/ Germany).

Basically I think there's nothing wrong with a Chinese movement just because it's Chinese. It depends on the quality and the price and the relation between theses aspects.

But I dislike watch brands drawing the curtain over the movement's provenance - normally in connection with ridiculous prices.

ASKANIA for example offers a chrono, their "watch of the year" model with reference to Berlin, with a chronograph movement for 3.495 Euro (<=> 2,800 GBP or 5,500 USD). This model was discussed before:
Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
http://www.watchtime.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17062&start=0
According to Askania, it will be a NOS all original Venus movement.
But many doubt that ;-)
And even if so, the price is MUCH too high for a pure marketing brand imho.
On pertinacious request ASKANIA told the movement is purchased Eurosina, Switzerland. What they not told, is that Eurosina is just the European distribution branch of Seagull, China (even though the name euro + sina is suggesting this).
Actually the movement is the copy of the 1960ies Venus 175.
Of course, if you want to sell a watch for 3,500 Euro you avoid to tell the prospective buyer the movement is of Chinese origin.
Especially if other brands offer watches with the same movement for a break of this price.

My Uhr-Kraft 'AirCop' chrono for example has (supposedly) the same Seagull movement. The first pic was posted before, the second one shows the back of my Uhr-Kraft. Apart from the question of design/ taste, the Uhr-Kraft is only 495 Euro (1/7 of the ASKANIA chrono) and of quite good quality. The movement keeps time reliable. Of course I don't compare it with my vintage Venus 178 Navitimer, a contemporary ETA 7750 or even with the great Rolex 4130 movement - but for this aspect it's much cheaper!

My comment on ASKANIA as a German born and living by the western side of the Rhine - closer to Amsterdam and Paris than to our beloved "Reichshauptstadt" Berlin - my personal comment is: typical Berlin - all hat and no cattle!