closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Just an observation from long term member

Craftsman
    I think this thread is proving destructive of a good forum.

Also, it is becoming symptomatic of some of the malaise perceived by the OP. Lack of discussion on a rational level, inanity of some posts, and personal attacks are all to be found here.

Constructive criticism is fine. We all put our foot in our mouths occasionally (some of us more than occasionally) and could benefit from words of wisdom, but single line (and therefore unexplained) gratuitous insults from senior members such as

Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    So much nonsense in a single post
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    What a load of b******s.
    are not likely to educate anyone. Their only intended purpose (if indeed there was intent at all) must be to drive away from the forum members who hold differing views. [We've all met such people in the pub].

With respect to the purpose of this thread (presumably to foment some change), it seems to have failed. We still have the same forum structure, vacuous threads with many photos of shiny new toys (or potential new toys) still abound and are popular, and we are still being rude to each other quite unnecessarily. I therefore propose that the thread be pulled.

One other proposal: I seemingly do not have enough brownie points to access the bear-pit, but, if it is as described (a place for people to insult each other), then I would suggest that it has no place in a nominally civilized horology forum -- and should be deleted. There are plenty of other opportunities to do such things elsewhere on the web.

Sits back to await insults.
    Last edited by Yokel; 16th September 2017 at 10:10.

Completely disagree with you regarding the replies given to the post. They were quite measured - as was mine to the same post -.
    This forum is in perpetual evolution of course, and shaped by its members, old and new alike. But when someone who's just arrived wants to turn it into WUS, he should be told that it already exists and it would be better for everyone if he went there directly. The bit about having him hanged, drawn and quartered first is of course optional.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    The mistake many long term members make, is assume new members have no knowledge and are at the outset of the hobby, which leads to poorly presented replies being challenged, at which time, the aggression appears. When you look through previous postings, the majority joined with an old piece of scrap a few years ago and flaunt around here like they're the font of all knowledge of the Swiss watch insustry. Some new members just fade away because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    The mistake many long term members make, is assume new members have no knowledge and are at the outset of the hobby, which leads to poorly presented replies being challenged, at which time, the aggression appears. When you look through previous postings, the majority joined with an old piece of scrap a few years ago and flaunt around here like they're the font of all knowledge of the Swiss watch insustry. Some new members just fade away because of this.
    This does seem to happen to a degree, I recall my early days and took great offence to one particular person very quickly, but i think a thicker skin is needed by all of us as over time people become accepted and develop their forum persona.
    I do agree with your comments, I cannot believe that most if not all of us started as you state, maybe not on this forum or even others, but a new Rolex is mostly not our first watch, but there is bound to be someone along soon who this applies to.
    We all learn here and gain from others knowledge and experience, lets make it a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    With respect to the purpose of this thread... I therefore propose that the thread be pulled.
    Good for you - suggest you instruct the mods to do so immediately.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    More a job for a "grand master" than a "17 jewel" I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    More a job for a "grand master" than a "17 jewel" I would have thought.
    You've got the moves I'll give you that.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Last edited by number2; 16th September 2017 at 16:10.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Robt – I have found your thoughts and insights throughout this thread to be interesting and educational (so astroturfing actually has a name). You obviously care and if nothing else, it is reassuring to know that there are such considered observers and commentators around who give a damn.
    Cheers anyway.