closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which electric shower?

Which electric shower?

I'm going to replace my Triton Etana and with a few of you being in the trade I thought I'd ask for opinions. I'm also keen to hear from you if you've had a good experience with one.

I'm looking for a 10.5 or 10.8kw unit with a maximum cost of £250 although nearer to £200 is better. There are loads in that range by the likes of Mira and Triton so finding one isn't difficult but I'd rather buy on recommendation.

Thanks.

Just check your wiring is capable of running a 10w + shower. We had one in our house which was fitted with inadequate wiring and it never worked properly (as well as probably being dangerous).

Spend the equivalent to plumb a hot water supply and intall a pump - you'll be amazed at the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Just check your wiring is capable of running a 10w + shower. We had one in our house which was fitted with inadequate wiring and it never worked properly (as well as probably being dangerous).
    Thanks, I should have said that I have the correct cable.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Spend the equivalent to plumb a hot water supply and intall a pump - you'll be amazed at the difference.
    Ideally I would but the cost would be anywhere near equivalent.

Master
    I think I can help...

We have a GSHP which runs both the hot water and heating, but I wanted to hedge against boiler problems by also having an electric shower in the guest bedroom. In the past I've always purchased Mira showers, but this bathroom is decorated in greys so the standard white looked odd.

The only shower I could find (at the time) that was black was a Bristan 'Bliss' 10.8kw. I bought mine on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bristan-Bl...EAAOSw8d5ZSoXy

Its been a great shower, powerful (for an electric version) and easier to clean than the Mira equivalent. Iirc they also carry a two year guarantee. You can also but this version in white.

Very happy with mine.

^^^^Many thanks, it's a contender!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    I totally concur with this, electric showers are just an unreliable anachronism. the supply should come from your hot water supply and boosted with a pump. Mine is still belting out water after 20 years and not the slightest bit of trouble.

Craftsman
    we have a mira 10.kw ish one in one bathroom ( wiring was uprated and its THICK ) and we have a shower fed off the boiler in our wetroom and when you use both side by side the difference is like night and day..... dont bother with the electric shower imho if you can afford the cost and upheaval fitting

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I totally concur with this, electric showers are just an unreliable anachronism. the supply should come from your hot water supply and boosted with a pump. Mine is still belting out water after 20 years and not the slightest bit of trouble.
    Another agree from me - our pump does two showers and fills the baths no problem, has outlived the previous electric showers and pummels you nicely. Our electric showers where aquillisa and where rubbish despite being expensive.

Thanks for the advice about water supply and pumps but I have neither the money nor inclination for the work to be done.

So any more advice on electric showers is greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Ignore the talk of pumps if you have a combi, they can't be pumped

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I do have a combi.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks for the advice about water supply and pumps but I have neither the money nor inclination for the work to be done.

So any more advice on electric showers is greatly appreciated.
    I agree an electric shower should be fit & forget. I replaced mine in about 2 hours. I replaced like with like but I think they are all the same layout now - I would check this if you can/haven't already.

That said, if the shower is above a bath then adding the hot supply could be quite easy, likewise if it comes down from the loft. It might be worth considering getting a plumber to quote for a conversion depending upon the set up as if you have a combi boiler that can deliver mains pressure hot water and the pipe run is easy it would make a better shower especially in the winter, if there is no hot water nearby and you don't have spare tiles etc then forget it.

Blog Entries
    We have an Aqualisa shower and it's brilliant. Powerful and electronic controller.
    Would never go back to an electric type.
    Worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    We have an Aqualisa shower and it's brilliant. Powerful and electronic controller.
    Worth considering.
    Same here.
    I think it is called Digital ILUX or something similar.

I would NEVER have an electric shower again.

I'd give up OP!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd give up OP!
    Ha ha, I think so :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Worth considering.
    We have two of these, turn on from outside shower, led flashes till at correct temp.
    Boost feature is invigorating.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Indeed, but a low pressure shower head will optimise the flow from a combi. I have one in London with an 8" rain head made for low pressure, and it gives a very satisfactory shower.

Craftsman
    In one of the houses I rent out I bought a cheap wickes electric shower (£50 last year ) and had the sparky fit that when he was replacing the fuse box and it cost £100. The tennant was happy so maybe that could be an option ?

"Did he say 'electric'? Doesn't he mean 'pump'?"

Sorry OP my electric shower knowledge is out of date but best of luck, I think they are a lot better than they used to be.

Craftsman
    If the Triton did you well over the years get another similar model, it might even line up with the electric cable and water pipes and fit without showing any drill holes from the previous fitting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    If the Triton did you well over the years get another similar model, it might even line up with the electric cable and water pipes and fit without showing any drill holes from the previous fitting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have been thinking that actually.

Master
    If it's above a bath could you just get new taps with a shower built in? I'd imagine this would give good pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    If it's above a bath could you just get new taps with a shower built in? I'd imagine this would give good pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Opposite ends of the bath I'm afraid.

I would always advise having one electric shower in your house as back up if your boiler goes down

Recently fitted one of these and was very impressed compared to a shower from a combi boiler. http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-t80...e-10-5kw/4964t
    The easi fit meant lots of options for entry of water and electric so will be perfect for replacing an old shower

Master
    We have a Creda Jet Spa 10.5kw electric shower. Going strong for almost 7 years.

As a couple of other posters have said above, DO NOT underestimate the importance of having an electric shower even if just as a backup. When we bought our current house, we refurbished everything including the bathrooms. Fitted a regular mixer-shower in the family bath fed by the hot and cold tanks in the loft but I also wanted an electric shower over the bath. The contractor didn't agree with me and gave excuses like "they don't last" and "you don't need 2 showers here" etc. I persisted and had both fitted. However, it turned out they fed the electric shower the cold feed from the tank rather than the main supply. Needless to say the pressure from the tank above wasn't enough to operate the internal pressure switch and the electric shower ended up being nothing more than an ornament. The manual clearly stated the pressure requirement so I don't know what the builders were smoking.

Anyway, that was autumn and due to having a new home, new job and new baby all around the same time I didn't get a chance to get it sorted by winter. As is typical, the CH/HW system developed a problem and the radiators heated up fine but we lost hot water. It coincided with Christmas so we couldn't even get a plumber/engineer in to look at it for a few days. I was so frustrated as me foreseeing this very problem hadn't mattered and we still suffered from this inconvenience during a harsh winter with 2 young children in the house. First the contractor's reluctance and then incompetence. I later got another plumber to connect the shower to the correct supply pipe and it has been great ever since.

I suspect some of the negativity around electric showers could be based on old information and people may not be considering that things might have moved on. Perhaps bringing in a sufficiently rated cable to the bathroom via a correctly protected circuit (when one doesn't already exist) puts some builders off and they make up excuses.

Master
    I'd rule out a Redring shower simply because of the name.