closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any love for the new TVR ?

Master

Any love for the new TVR ?

Looks like a jazzed up gt86 but I like it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Looks like a jazzed up gt86 but I like it.
    Looks like that from the side.

Any more links / pics?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Yes... quite a lot having seen that.... I will be googling that this evening...

Blog Entries
    Is that the exhaust exiting just aft the front wheel arch?

I bet it's noisy

z

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Front looks like a cartoon shark.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Master
    Profile looks really good, but I think the front is ugly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

I bet it's noisy

z
    Yup, its a TVR! The exhaust exits at the front so as not to disturb the airflow/ground effect underneath the car.

Looks like the Toyota FT1 concept.

Last edited by Maris; 8th September 2017 at 14:48.

As a former TVR owner (V8S and Griffith 500) I like it a lot. However, I wouldn't buy one now as I'm no longer interested in owning an out-and-out sports car. For the life of me I cannot understand why they went to the expense of developing a bespoke engine with Cosworth when there are several off-the-shelf options (LS Series, Ford V8 etc.) that would have kept the development costs down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    £90k by all accounts

I like!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    As a former TVR owner (V8S and Griffith 500) I like it a lot. However, I wouldn't buy one now as I'm no longer interested in owning an out-and-out sports car. For the life of me I cannot understand why they went to the expense of developing a bespoke engine with Cosworth when there are several off-the-shelf options (LS Series, Ford V8 etc.) that would have kept the development costs down.
    Its a crate Mustang engine with Cosworth modified flywheel, clutch and ECU which sounds good to me.

Master
    They'd like you to think it's bespoke, but apart from dry-sumping it and fitting a different clutch/ECU, it's a crate motor.

[edited to add: Damn, beaten to the punch re the motor]

I had a Griff and this is a different car, but it looks promising.

I read it is a Mustang V8 that Cosworth have tweaked. A bespoke engine would be mad and take TVR back to the days of the straight 6 and failing finger followers.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/tvr...official/36718
    Last edited by alfat33; 8th September 2017 at 14:53. Reason: Yes, the V8 is a slowworm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    £90k by all accounts
    Looks great but this has killed it for me.
    What happened to affordable supercar?

Master

Snap I have owned both V8S and 500 Griff, did you know there are only 29 V8S left on the DVLA register and 629 Griffs.

£ 90,000 doesn't sound too bad........if you say it quickly.

Far better then an Aero Morgan at the same price. (If that's what it's called) Saw one the other day, makes most kit cars look good.

At first glance an awesome car, but i'm not sold on the "emoji" smile on the front, but, that said it is going to be a decent hardcore toy for someone who probably already has a few in their collection. Moons ago I loved the TVR and since I have owned a few greats, in my opinion this new beasty has quite a lot to live up to!

The idea of not making the engine in house is a good one as the powerplant is going to be the 5.0 v8 unit from the mustang, but (and here is the rub), It is still version one of a handmade car, so if you had 90K to throw at it, would you>???

As I said, it's a toy, it looks great and will probably fill a gap where there are few other v8 British options to really excite you. I'd probably compare it to a noble or even an Aston V8 with quite a bit more sex appeal perhaps?

I bet (and hope) Its a handful and hold together long enough to be a decent used buy...

Edit: one thing I would add, thank God a great Brand was rescued from the grave yard and hands of a Russian that didn't understand what he purchased...I'd back it for being British alone..Good Luck I say..
    Last edited by D3ckard; 8th September 2017 at 14:59.

Master
    The price is a problem. It's 911 money for a Mustang-powered Japanese lookalike. And it's no looker - the front, in particular, looks unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Looks great but this has killed it for me.
    What happened to affordable supercar?
    I take your point but the 90's Griff was launched over 20 years ago and was about £38k if I recall correctly. Maybe not quite the equivalent of £90k now but not so far off, for hopefully a better equipped car (if not quite so raw, he added wistfully...).

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    The price is a problem. It's 911 money for a Mustang-powered Japanese lookalike. And it's no looker - the front, in particular, looks unresolved.
    This is very true, but, price has a funny way of setting the exclusivity of a product and I don't think this will ever be sold as a Porsche alternative. There are many better value, better engineered cars but are they exciting and as exclusive? Most TVR owners loved them. Logic didn't enter the equation that often..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ckard View Post
    This is very true, but, price has a funny way of setting the exclusivity of a product and I don't think this will ever be sold as a Porsche alternative. There are many better value, better engineered cars but are they exciting and as exclusive? Most TVR owners loved them. Logic didn't enter the equation that often..
    Agreed, but they were cheap, bonkers, and sex on four wheels.

The new one isn't, isn't, and isn't - hence I think potential buyers will regain some level of rationality in their purchasing decisions!

I have owned TVR's of various model types.

The new one looks interesting, but the price is a concern. I think it really needed to be 60k ish to really be anything other than a micro volume niche maker.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Tim Burton (Shmee150) has ordered one, video here - https://youtu.be/lUeCXMPmyvk

Peter Wheeler's dog's styling critique here - http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/09/08/fo.../#.WbKtTNEo_IV

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Tim Burton (Shmee150) has ordered one
    That alone would be enough to make sure my money went elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    That alone would be enough to make sure my money went elsewhere
    Regardless of what anyone thinks of him he's got a mighty fine taste in cars.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Tim Burton (Shmee150) has ordered one, video here - https://youtu.be/lUeCXMPmyvk

Christ, who is that? Lasted 5 seconds then punched my laptop

£90 for a bespoke, handmade (ish), British made sports car is not to bad, but I agree 60k would have made more sense.

As for looks, I was thinking Ginetta, rather than beefed up Toyota, but it is rather similar.

As for whether its a good car I will await the verdict of those who have actually driven, especially on a track. If it laps the Ring in sub 8 minutes then it's not to shabby.

But to be honest my £90k would not be spent on this (or any TVR).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I have owned TVR's of various model types.

The new one looks interesting, but the price is a concern. I think it really needed to be 60k ish to really be anything other than a micro volume niche maker.
    Agree, somewhere close to Corvette pricing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Snap I have owned both V8S and 500 Griff, did you know there are only 29 V8S left on the DVLA register and 629 Griffs.

My friend has one of those Griffs he bought it new in 96 its only done 35k miles in a special yellow he hand picked with TVR it still looks beautiful

I watched the unveiling this morning, thought it was an anti climax

Thanks for the clarification on the provenance of the engine. Without wishing to hijack the thread, I had a brief play in a DB11 this afternoon - beautiful!

Blog Entries
    I've had 2 Tuscans and a Griff 500 and have been waiting for this with excitement for some time, I was tempted previously to put down a deposit and figure out how to pay for it at a later date, however £90k is a lot of cash, especially when I can get an F Type R with 20-25% discount!

I tend to think that how it drives and sounds will have a big impact on the sales figures...There is a lot of love for TVR and I think it will look a lot better in the flesh (don't most things). We will see I guess? It does feel a little like wanting it to win the world cup when perhaps deep down you fear that's little more than wishful thinking?

Blog Entries
    I will just leave this here for the sound....

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwoodR...07886739095553

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Christ, who is that? Lasted 5 seconds then punched my laptop

Ffs mate! I snapped my phone in half! What a twat!

Quote Originally Posted by D3ckard View Post
    I tend to think that how it drives and sounds will have a big impact on the sales figures...There is a lot of love for TVR and I think it will look a lot better in the flesh (don't most things). We will see I guess? It does feel a little like wanting it to win the world cup when perhaps deep down you fear that's little more than wishful thinking?
    Agree with this. Having an NA V8 should help with the exhaust note, if it goes around bends well and the power to weight ratio gives it some punch then it'll sell. £90k (plus options?) is a chunk of money though, it won't get away with being too flakey in the fit and finish department.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to convince my wife that this is much more appropriate than a new house!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112540982615

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I'm trying to convince my wife that this is much more appropriate than a new house!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112540982615
    Thats a hard push. Not impossible. But very very hard ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I will just leave this here for the sound....

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwoodR...07886739095553
    Jesus, that does sound good. I hope TVR succeeds and improves the build quality. I think there's a lost of BS talked about TVR (Total Vehicle Rebuild) build quality as far as engine, gearbox, drive train are concerned but the electrics in the Griff shoved behind a panel in the passenger footwell were a joke and a glove box latch that wouldn't be deemed suitable for a bin lid etc. With a sound like that I could forgive a lot but not at £90k.

As long as it tries to kill you at every opportunity like the originals, it'll do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

I bet it's noisy

z

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't contain the button for opening the doors.

If I could afford it my name would already be down to buy one. Currently on my 4th TVR, a Tuscan. They have all been great cars, and reliable despite their reputation.

Grand Master
    TVR made cars with a unique appeal in the past. However, that was in the days before the sports car revival in the early 90s when the mainstream manufacturers got back in the market.

Would anyone really spend their hard-earned cash on this TVR in preference to a Jaguar F Type or Porsche?...... to me it would be an act of madness. It's 2017, not the early 90s.

I'd cheerfully spend several £k on an Chimera to fettle and restore, or to enjoy if it had been properly sorted out, that would make an interesting 'hobby' car. I like them and I like what they tried to do in the past, but I'm struggling to see the appeal of this latest offering.

I guess some well- heeled extrovert will be drawn to it on the grounds of individuality etc. but I can't see them selling many.

Paul

Not a fan of that interior switchgear, too futuristic and thermos flask-like.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    If I could afford it my name would already be down to buy one. Currently on my 4th TVR, a Tuscan. They have all been great cars, and reliable despite their reputation.
    My Chimaera can be relied upon not to start when asked to do so........

But back on topic, I'm not sure I like the styling much. I think the back end looks awkward, and the rear of the front wing looks like our family saloon after the Mrs caught the edge on the gatepost.

Need to see one in the flesh before final judgement I think.

Blog Entries
    https://youtu.be/lUeCXMPmyvk

I like it more after watching this.

Master
    Unless they are also planning a convertible version, I don't understand the reason for using the Griffith name. That was only ever a convertible wasn't it,

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Unless they are also planning a convertible version, I don't understand the reason for using the Griffith name. That was only ever a convertible wasn't it,
    'Cos it was the best one!*

Actually the original '60s Griffith was a coupe. Jack Griffith was a US TVR agent if I recall correctly.

*Reviving old rivalries.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    'Cos it was the best one!*

Actually the original '60s Griffith was a coupe. Jack Griffith was a US TVR agent if I recall correctly.

*Reviving old rivalries.
    The original Griffith.