closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK Sold Watch v Watch Sold Elsewhere - does it make a difference.

Just put each other on ignore and move on, don't let an early clash spoil your experience.
    I remember having when when I first joined, it gets better in time😎

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sometimes newbys get a rough ride on this forum, often it's not justified but sometimes it is .

Frankly, given your beligerent attitude, it might be better if you left now.

New to the forum, just what the hell do you gain by the tone of your posts?

Paul
    Ah, this is where the ganging up starts is it?

I see from your posting history, you tend to get a little more confident at this time. Assume you like a drop of the strong stuff - nothing wrong with that.

And it's newbies.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    People will find any reason to lowball though.
    Doesn't make it valid.

Craftsman
    As someone that buys and sells more than most I can assure you it's not something that even warrants consideration

Price is based many things but originating country is not one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It doesn't matter where the watch has originally been bought.
    Some people are simply stupid enough to pay more because the watch is from the same country they are from.

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    As someone that buys and sells more than most I can assure you it's not something that even warrants consideration

That settles it then.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    People will find any reason to lowball though.
    Doesn't make it valid.
    Exactly. Perception is everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And you are?😜

Craftsman
    Keyboard warriors out in force today...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    Keyboard warriors out in force today...

No, just the frustrated few.

No difference to me. I've had watches from all over. SD is from Portugal.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Ah, this is where the ganging up starts is it?

I see from your posting history, you tend to get a little more confident at this time. Assume you like a drop of the strong stuff - nothing wrong with that.

And it's newbies.
    No mate, stop trying to force a cap on my head that doesn' t fit. As for my posting history , Maybe I should be flattered that you've spent the time analysing it. Confidence doesn't come into it,buddy, and I resent your crass implication. Do you routinely make such implications in face to face situations?......if not why do it on forum!

The points you've raised have credibility, it's your manner and the way you 've conducted yourself that are questionable. Try reading it back to yourself and maybe you'll see what I mean.......do you understand the concept of ' concern for impact'?

Why not simply disagree in a more civil manner?

As for the point being debated, I see no reason why a UK sourced watch should be viewed more favourably. However, that's not to say that some folks are happier with a UK watch and that could well be reflected in the price they're willing to pay.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th July 2017 at 21:09.

Banned
    No mate, stop trying to force a cap on my head that doesn' t fit. As for my posting history , Maybe I should be flattered that you've spent the time analysing it. Confidence doesn't come into it,buddy, and I resent your crass implication. Do you routinely make such implications in face to face situations?......if not why do it on forum!

The points you've raised have credibility, it's your manner and the way you 've conducted yourself that are questionable. Try reading it back to yourself and maybe you'll see what I mean.......do you understand the concept of ' concern for impact'?

Why not simply disagree in a more civil manner?

Paul
    The posts I assume to which you refer were responded to in the manner presented - rudely and with no factual content. Later posts show the same to a tee.

I didn't join to blow smoke up ignorant members bums, nor expect to be told to leave for defending my corner.

Your comments, however, are noted.

Grand Master
    Yes, and so are yours. It'll be interesting too see how it pans out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The posts I assume to which you refer were responded to in the manner presented - rudely and with no factual content. Later posts show the same to a tee.

I didn't join to blow smoke up ignorant members bums, nor expect to be told to leave for defending my corner.

We await your future contributions with massive anticipation. Will be a journey to be sure.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

You'd do well to not alienate one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys on here who will repair and refinish/service watches for members.

I'm 100% certain he could help you more than you could help him.

Chill out and calm down whilst you still can.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, and so are yours. It'll be interesting too see how it pans out.
    Can we also note fact that you're the only person to wade into a mutally snippy exchange and suggest that someone leaves the forum for not agreeing with Skyman.

Mother of god.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    We await your future contributions with massive anticipation. Will be a journey to be sure.
    You're a baiter, your posts are of no factual content and any challenge goes ignored. Seems I'm not on my own either.

Popping you on my ignore list will afford me no loss.

UK Sold Watch v Watch Sold Elsewhere - does it make a difference.

I would be a little wary of a watch from outside the EU as we have better consumer rights as EU purchasers of EU goods - this is negated by say a Rolex 5 year warranty but if a manufacturer is only offering one year then the EU supplied watch you would have more chance of a claim. VAT equally could be an issue - there are enough threads on here about people buying ex-VAT it would depend on the price a lower value watch wouldn't concern me but a 10k watch I think I would want to know had either been legitimately imported or have the benefit of the saving.

Master
    You're a baiter, your posts are of no factual content and any challenge goes ignored. Seems I'm not on my own either.
    He is known for being a little off.

What was your previous username here? You post like someone quite familiar with this place.

Not sure why everyone ( well some people) are arguing over this because there seems to be broad agreement that:

1. The origin of a watch doesn't matter in any meaningful sense

2. Despite this, some people prefer to buy a UK sourced watch, and the pool of buyers when selling an overseas sourced watch may therefore be smaller.

3, If you're likely to flip a watch it would make sense to take point two into account when buying.

Anyone disagree with this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    He is known for being a little off.
    Not an ongoing concern, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What was your previous username here? You post like someone quite familiar with this place.
    I don't understand your first question, but forum etiquette is something which should be reasonably understood if you intend to participate.

Master
    Let me check ... all the watch manufacturers offer a world-wide warranty ... correct?

I think some vary the number of years by country - but can't remember ... Omega used to to this I think - but again varies by movement.

Again - speaking from personal experience I had a almost new watch bought from a dealer in Paris that needed regulating - took in to a London AD and all was resolved as you would expect without any questions like " Oh .. non UK .. sorry ... "

People need to get past any false perceptions associated with non UK watches.

Master
    I bought my previous Rolex GMT Master II in Amsterdam. Granted, no VAT/import issue due to EU but my experience is still a little relevant. When I was selling it last year, no one bothered asking me where I had bought it. The gentleman I eventually ended up selling to wasn't interested even when I volunteered the information and showed the EUR receipt. He was employed by the Police, his department's name escapes me but he dealt with valuables and luxury goods as part of his job. He didn't even take me up on my offer of verifying the watch at an AD. He was competent enough to know it was genuine. Irrational concerns can always be expected but IMHO if a savvy buyer like that didn't have an issue, no one else should.

Master
    Also, I bought my current BLNR in Switzerland and had it regulated at St. James' RSC when it was running a little fast. I bought my wife's Lady Datejust in Netherlands too and she had the bracelet resized at the same RSC as it is a stone's throw away from her work. On both occasions we had to present the warranty cards with foreign ADs' stamps. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its total balls.
    They come out of Switzerland and are distributed globally with worldwide guarantees.

Some people like to fuss over wanting a "uk" watch because they think that buying it in Bradford somehow gives it a higher value than the same thing bought in Bahrain. It doesn't.

Second that

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Not sure why everyone ( well some people) are arguing over this because there seems to be broad agreement that:

1. The origin of a watch doesn't matter in any meaningful sense

2. Despite this, some people prefer to buy a UK sourced watch, and the pool of buyers when selling an overseas sourced watch may therefore be smaller.

3, If you're likely to flip a watch it would make sense to take point two into account when buying.

Anyone disagree with this?
    Exactement.👍

Banned
    Blog Entries

My pleasure. Over and out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Without logic , for me ( and in my limited experience, a good few others ) there is some reassurance buying a watch with UK papers. A warranty card stamped by Goldsmiths appeals more than a watch accompanied by some warranty card stamped by a jewellers in Costa Rica for example.
    So if you were offered a Rolex bought from the Rolex Boutique on Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich, you'd consider it worth less than one bought at Goldsmiths in Bradford?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Agreed they all come from the same factory in Switzerland etc , but ...

Without logic , for me ( and in my limited experience, a good few others ) there is some reassurance buying a watch with UK papers. A warranty card stamped by Goldsmiths appeals more than a watch accompanied by some warranty card stamped by a jewellers in Costa Rica for example.

No logic to it agreed. But I feel more comfortable with a UK watch. And when I've sold watches, I've found others also think the same.
    Just putting this here:

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lexdealers.com

Craftsman
    I've heard of some dealers refusing to buy a BNIB watch sourced from outside the EU before. Didn't want to touch anything less than six months old. Most I know don't care one jot. Can only assume this is VAT related

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Also, I bought my current BLNR in Switzerland and had it regulated at St. James' RSC when it was running a little fast. I bought my wife's Lady Datejust in Netherlands too and she had the bracelet resized at the same RSC as it is a stone's throw away from her work. On both occasions we had to present the warranty cards with foreign ADs' stamps. No issues.
    That's unusual, I've been never asked for the warranty card for sizing.

Master
    I have a wealthy friend who buys a lot of expensive watches; 143 at the last count. He has a simple rule, from which he never deviated. He buys from long-standing contacts and UK ADs. Never from 'grey' dealers or overseas sources. So, if and when he sells , everything can be traced back to 'good' British sources.
    Is he daft ? I doubt it. He knows customers, want, above all, to feel reassured. It might be irrational, probably is, but it's their money. Emotion is a complex thing. Good traders understand that.
    logic isn't what sells luxury goods
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th July 2017 at 05:39.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Is he daft ? I doubt it. (...) It might be irrational, probably is, ....
    Irrational => Non-daft?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So, if and when he sells , everything can be traced back to 'good' British sources.
    A watch is a watch .. they don't vary around the world .. they don't have British specials.
    Your friend can buy his watches any way he wants to ... but they are not intrinsically worth more for being bought in the UK.

Interesting thread. I live in Thailand and have bought several watches here. All the papers are the same as you get everywhere. In various languages. Companies like Bremont still send on later the COSC certificate with a freebie and when I identifed an error on the certificate of my Chopard, the corrected version was still sent from Switzerland. Consumer law is different here and if the goods are working when you walk out the shop, that's it. However, I suspect high end brands might apply their own rules on that for the sake of consumer confidence? I bought a PADI in Korat and within a couple of days I had a problem winding the watch. I subsequently took it to an AD in Bangkok and had it repaired under warranty. To be honest the only difference will be the AD's location and the receipt will be in Thai baht.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    That's unusual, I've been never asked for the warranty card for sizing.
    May be unusual but I don't see any issues with them asking for it. They probably would have done it without the card as well if it wasn't available.

Papers issued in the UK will be easier to check out than those in, say, the Far East. If I were a forger I know which I'd choose.

To answer the OPs question, yes it does make a difference because buyers are more wary of a foreign supplied watch (irrational as this may be) so resale might be harder.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 19th July 2017 at 08:17.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Papers issued in the UK will be easier to check out than those in, say, the Far East. If I were a forger I know which I'd choose.

To answer the OPs question, yes it does make a difference because buyers are more wary of a foreign supplied watch (irrational as this may be) so resale might be harder.
    Can you just run me through how you do these checks please?
    RIAC

One thing this hobby has taught me, rational reasoned thought goes out of the window for some, if some people prefer a UK sourced watch then so be it, the reasons may be irrational but that mindset is endemic in the hobby. Boxes, stickers, dot over 9, fat font black bla bla, nowt queer as folk.

An interesting debate all round, but I think the vast majority in this thread do not see it as an issue given that world wide guarantees are issued.

From my own experience it is nice if the watch was originally sold in Blighty, but if that was the watch for me and it wasn't a UK sold watch I would still buy it anyway.

As others have said, we are all different and have our own individual querks about these things.

Master
    Yes, this isn't about what is logical. It is about how people feel. That may make little sense, but it doesn't need to. There is no sense in preferring expensive bottled water; it's not rational. But it sells and sells.
    If buyers prefer uk based watches, then rational discussion is unlikely to persuade them otherwise. Indeed any trader selling luxury watches on the basis of rationality will go broke....

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Can you just run me through how you do these checks please?
    Scratch the warranty card...if it smells of roast dinner it's a genuine UKAD supplied watch!
    Last edited by dougair; 19th July 2017 at 09:35. Reason: Speeling

Grand Master

UK Sold Watch v Watch Sold Elsewhere - does it make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Scratch the warrenty card...if it smells of roast dinner it's a genuine UKAD supplied watch!
    Ahh you know the secret too

Oh and watch your spelling apparently it's a sign of weakness!

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Banned
    Amongst all the watch warranty card racists I just thought I'd add - many buyers may find certain country codes quite exotic - perhaps Geneva more than Tenerife, but all adds to this big wide world we now live in..:

Grand Master
    Probably the same people that go abroad for a holiday but 'won't eat that foreign muck' instead favouring a pie and chips

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Check out how, as a matter of interest?

I don't see that where the watch was originally sold has any impact on value providing that it is all original and correct. In terms of the VAT liability then that rests with the importer and providing you are a bona fide buyer for value then you have nothing to worry about. If on the other hand you know that the watch has been imported in a way to avoid duty then you could find yourself with some unwelcome liability.

Obviously it would be much easier to determine the position on a new or newly imported watch than something that is 50 + years old.

What about a foreign supplied watch with RSC paperwork (in the case of Rolex) 😳😳

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Check out how, as a matter of interest?
    Contact the dealer.

Or even verify that they even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    What about a foreign supplied watch with RSC paperwork (in the case of Rolex) 
    Maybe that's easy to do but this thread isn't just about Rolex.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 19th July 2017 at 11:17.

Blog Entries
    If I am buying a Rolex and the paperwork is stamped by George Pragnell of Stratford-Upon-Avon, I am happy. If the paperwork is stamped by Goodwill Jiji Emporium of Abuja Nigeria then I am NOT bloody happy!

A bit extreme perhaps but my point is that it DOES make a difference to a lot of buyers.