closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vacheron Hand painted dial - is this real?

Journeyman

Vacheron Hand painted dial - is this real?

So browsing I came across this:-

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/classifie...YXJjaD0x&pos=4

Initially I thought that's fairly hideous and wouldn't be my cup of tea then the engraved bridges caught my eye. Then when I saw the price my eyes were wide open. Either this is a fake I hope someone on here can help or the guy is missing a zero from the price.

Also its described a gold plated and I cant imaging VC ever doing gold plated. If its a fake then its a pretty elaborate one.
    Last edited by scorchio; 13th July 2017 at 19:08.

The movement makes me think it's a pocket watch conversion, possibly of a VC but, then again, possibly not. The dial looks like it's been painted in a style designed to look like cloisonné enamel. The engraving doesn't look too badly executed and makes you wonder what these people could achieve if they turned their hands to something useful (the quality of the engraving also makes me wonder if the movement started out life as a VC as a bit of text is not something they're going to struggle with compared to the other embellishments). I agree that gold-plated is unlikely to be a VC thing but could be wrong.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    The movement makes me think it's a pocket watch conversion, possibly of a VC but, then again, possibly not. The dial looks like it's been painted in a style designed to look like cloisonné enamel. The engraving doesn't look too badly executed and makes you wonder what these people could achieve if they turned their hands to something useful (the quality of the engraving also makes me wonder if the movement started out life as a VC as a bit of text is not something they're going to struggle with compared to the other embellishments). I agree that gold-plated is unlikely to be a VC thing but could be wrong.
    I think you might be on to something. Searching google images I found this:-

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...heron-movement

The arrangement of the bridges is the same.

Craftsman
    It is pocket watch conversion, it is an old pin set movement as seen by the pin sticking out.
    The movement probably did not come out of a vacheron pocket watch.
    So you get a generic movement that would be pretty worn out tarted up to look nice with a brand new dial, hands and engraving. Then a cheap nickle case is engraved and gold plated.

Resale value 50p if you're lucky