closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up deepsea

Heads up deepsea

Trafford centre goldsmiths deepsea 116660 available . Goodluck if anyone wants it .

Not for me, but I am assuming that it is the standard black dial version?

Yes standard black .

There was also one in the window of Fraser Hart Kingston yesterday for anyone down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black isn't hard to get at all. In fact I think they struggle to shift them, especially at RRP.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Black isn't hard to get at all. In fact I think they struggle to shift them, especially at RRP.
    Indeed, glad I did not fall for it. Lovely watch.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Isnt it fascinating how much just the dial colour can make such a huge difference to the perception of a watch? or should I just say availability?

Both cracking watches and to me it is a real shame that the black dial gets such a hard time

And Prestons in Leeds had one last week available.

Craftsman
    Amazing the difference a dial colour makes. I really like the standard black but paying RRP is craziness IMO.

Journeyman
    Any Subc date?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchaddict View Post
    Amazing the difference a dial colour makes. I really like the standard black but paying RRP is craziness IMO.
    I continue to be intrigued by people saying that paying list price for black dial DSSDs is "crazy". Who sells them cheaper? Every one I've seen in an AD is listed at £8900 with no discount available, and even Iconic offer them at £8800.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I continue to be intrigued by people saying that paying list price for black dial DSSDs is "crazy". Who sells them cheaper? Every one I've seen in an AD is listed at £8900 with no discount available, and even Iconic offer them at £8800.

Simon
    Paying list is financially crazy unless you plan to keep it forever and never sell. Once bought you will lose a substantial amount instantly.

Ring a few dealers with a black Deepsea to sell and you'll get figures offered that would shock you. Other dealers are selling mint ones for under £7,000. To retail with a warranty at under £7,000 they likely paid mid £5k. (Recon costs plus Vat to pay on margin/marketing costs etc). Also on a used watch they expect people to bargain a little bit so they need to allow for this.

watches.co.uk have 3 pre-owned ones in stock at £6,895/£6,995 all mint with box and papers. Value for money wise this is a far better bet and that's where my money would go if I was after a black Deepsea. Other models like BLNR/D-Blue/LV/SubC make more sense brand new from an AD but not Deepsea black.

In summary, feel free to go out and splash £8,900 on a brand new Deepsea Black, but it wouldn't be my money, thus my comment.
    Last edited by Nairn1980; 9th July 2017 at 09:46.

Blog Entries
    Paying list is financially crazy unless you plan to keep it forever and never sell.

Ring a few dealers with a black Deepsea to sell and you'll get figures offered that would shock you. Other dealers are selling mint ones for under £7,000. To retail with a warranty at under £7,000 they likely paid mid £5k. (Recon costs plus Vat to pay on margin).

Anyone is welcome to go and pay list for one, but it wouldn't be my money.
    Perhaps some of us appreciate our hobby and a certain watch because it is ours hearts desire rather than constantly looking and being hung up at the bottom line.

If you factored 'financially crazy' into many purchases many of us would not own half our watches and would question our love.

Me, I will continue with my interest and purchases and the day I financially question every potential on financial return on investment it will be time to move onto flower arranging

Pitch

Master
    I think the DSSD has been over-looked for a long time, but the price now makes it even less appealing to most. When I was looking for a D-Blue I spoke to a grey dealer who had a black dial one for around £7800, brand new, but it hadn't had any interest. Yes, it's a large watch of course and that limits the market, but it's the only watch with the best clasp Rolex make, and a great alternative to something like an AP ROO Diver etc.

I haven't heard any rumours to suggest it, but it kind of feels to me like Rolex want to shake up their product lines after this year's releases, and with the more rounded case 116600 now gone, perhaps we could get back to a far more svelt Submariner next Basel, and get rid of the DSSD line all together now there's the (rather wonderful IMO) SD43. That's when you'd suddenly see demand for the Deep Sea models of course on the secondary market.

If you speak to dealers, they were receiving either very little to no deliveries of the 116600 by around November last year, and then it was discontinued officially in March, so if that pattern shows again this year, it could suggest the same for the DSSD line. The only thing is, the DSSD is really Rolex saying "look what we can produce if we put our minds into it"; just like Omega with the PloProf etc so perhaps they'd never get rid of it.

There was also a ND Sub and Explorer 1 in Fraser Hart Kingston.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    There was also a ND Sub and Explorer 1 in Fraser Hart Kingston.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    There's a brand new Explorer at Own and Robinson (Grey) in Leeds with a couple of hundred pounds off. It's been there a few weeks though so I'm sure the manager, Matt, would look at the price. Still not a fan of it over the 39mm Mk1 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Perhaps some of us appreciate our hobby and a certain watch because it is ours hearts desire rather than constantly looking and being hung up at the bottom line.

If you factored 'financially crazy' into many purchases many of us would not own half our watches and would question our love.

Me, I will continue with my interest and purchases and the day I financially question every potential on financial return on investment it will be time to move onto flower arranging

Pitch
    I totally respect what you say, and often buyers fall into different categories. I spend thousands of pounds every year taking my family on holiday. After the holiday there's nothing to show for it. I also like having a nice family car, and cars depreciate, so I don't factor "financially crazy" into everything.

I'm not a "serial flipper" to the extent of some, but I have bought watches in the past, then something has come out that catches me eye, so I flip and move on. (The watch that I have and plan to keep is my GMT BLNR).

For me, that's part of the enjoyment this particular hobby holds for me. As a result, in my eyes it would be crazy to rock up at an AD and spend £8,900 with no discount on a Deepsea Black. However I'm not picking on the Deepsea Black specifically. You'd take a similar nosebleed on loads of other Rolex models including EXP2, Milgauss, DJ and many TT models too, if purchased at RRP.

The type of buyer I am, I like the flexibility of being able to buy and sell sharply to allow me to change my watches when the feeling takes me. For me, that's the enjoyment of my hobby, and we all enjoy the hobby differently.

If you're not planning to sell and just want a brand new Deepsea Black for your collection, then I'd be delighted for you, and you'd have a fantastic watch.
    Last edited by Nairn1980; 9th July 2017 at 10:39.

Apparently Rolex have pulled quite a few DS blacks back to the factory and replaced the dial with the JC version to try and meet the demand, it would appear there are a few of the black models sitting in ADs and they are not too hard to come by.

Craftsman
    I would pay the extra £250 and buy the d blue. Getting one is the issue.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I totally respect what you say, and often buyers fall into different categories. I spend thousands of pounds every year taking my family on holiday. After the holiday there's nothing to show for it. I also like having a nice family car, and cars depreciate, so I don't factor "financially crazy" into everything.

I'm not a "serial flipper" to the extent of some, but I have bought watches in the past, then something has come out that catches me eye, so I flip and move on. (The watch that I have and plan to keep is my GMT BLNR).

For me, that's part of the enjoyment this particular hobby holds for me. As a result, in my eyes it would be crazy to rock up at an AD and spend £8,900 with no discount on a Deepsea Black. However I'm not picking on the Deepsea Black specifically. You'd take a similar nosebleed on loads of other Rolex models including EXP2, Milgauss, DJ and many TT models too, if purchased at RRP.

The type of buyer I am, I like the flexibility of being able to buy and sell sharply to allow me to change my watches when the feeling takes me. For me, that's the enjoyment of my hobby, and we all enjoy the hobby differently.

If you're not planning to sell and just want a brand new Deepsea Black for your collection, then I'd be delighted for you, and you'd have a fantastic watch.
    Very nicely put and I concur. My initial reply, after some coffee and food, may have appeared a tad terse and please be assured it was not meant to offend.

I love my DSSD, would I have paid RRP for a spanker....nope.

Ta
    Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Very nicely put and I concur. My initial reply, after some coffee and food, may have appeared a tad terse and please be assured it was not meant to offend.

I love my DSSD, would I have paid RRP for a spanker....nope.

Ta
    Pitch
    No problem, appreciated.
    We all need our coffee in the morning lol.

I am daft enough to have 2 black DSSD's ,i know stupid .But i just love it and they will be given to my 2 kids when the time is right. The blue to me just looks weird,dare i say jokey….goes for his coat

I saw two in Manchester today.

Also tried on the Explorer 1 in Mappins.

Common as muck

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    I am daft enough to have 2 black DSSD's ,i know stupid .But i just love it and they will be given to my 2 kids when the time is right. The blue to me just looks weird,dare i say jokey….goes for his coat
    Not at all, I actually think it's an incredible watch.
    I've tried it on numerous times and actually like the black as much as the blue.

I've been looking at prices as I'm tempted by one.

What kind of a price new would people be looking to pay at an AD for the stock black dial version, out of interest? £8k?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I can't help but think the D blue will be a short lived fad, bought by a optimistic speculators.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Apparently Rolex have pulled quite a few DS blacks back to the factory and replaced the dial with the JC version to try and meet the demand, it would appear there are a few of the black models sitting in ADs and they are not too hard to come by.
    I heard that this is how Deep Blue came about in the first place, they bought back unsold stock of DSSD which AD's couldn't shift, replaced dials and voila the watch that couldn't be shifted became a hot property.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seaoyster View Post
    I can't help but think the D blue will be a short lived fad, bought by optimistic speculators.
    I'm not sure about speculators. It's been out for 3 years and has outlived the sd4k. A lot of people who have them seem to wear them.

Master
    Mine is probably my most worn watch. Never seen a other in the wild tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Mines fully unstickered and been glued to my wrist since.

Personally I don't really understand the huge hype for the DC version, but adore my black faced 'regular' DSSD.

The engineering excellence which has gone into the watch massively appeals to my inner-nerd. It is also a cracking looking thing too IMHO.

I do have to admit though that cycling over cobblestoned streets wearing it was not a good idea!

I always admired the Deepsea and recently got a used one. I did try an 116610 on at the same time but the Deepsea won. I have to say its a beautiful watch and it doesn't wear too large. I think it's lack of popularity is a good thing at the moment. Also the stores of Rolex taking stock back and redialling them only fuels it's place as a classic, hopefully with black dials being sought after in the future. I wear mine with pride and often think that's it's the unpopular models which find favour in years to come.

Journeyman
    Wasn't the deepsea 4 thousand and something when it was first released?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the recalling and redialling tales are likely just pish designed to unsettle.

It's not like they've run out of cases movements ringlocks and crystals so need to claw stock back for a hasty redial in order to add a whopping 250 quid to the price.
    Is 250 quid worth recall, transport, redial, re-certify and risk peeing off customers?
    I can't see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Yep. If I remember correctly about £4.5k which shot up to about £4.85k after a few months.

At the time I'd just paid £2.8k for my 16610 LV at the end of 2003 so the 50% price rise meant when I got the call from the AD I was unwilling to purchase without seeing it first in the flesh. Convinced they'd flog it to someone else on the list they refused to wait 48hrs for me to visit.

It would appear that others felt the same way as the AD called back the next day offering me the watch again.. unfortunately the whole experience had left a bitter taste so I told the AD where to stick it on a point of principle..one that was to prove costly as over the years the price shot up. Eventually I bit the bullet and bought one in 2014 via Iconic. A decent exchange rate meant I only paid £6.6k against a list of £8.1k.

Funnily enough I was looking to get the Deep Blue but having seen some in HG did't think it was worth the additional premium to upgrade..indeed now I'm veering more toward the black

Journeyman
    Deepsea owners & previous owners. Love/hate?

What encouraged you to sell?
    Why do you keep?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It's the only watch I have ever bought new , got mine in 2010 . I just love everything about it , tapered bracelet, the size and clasp . The ring lock you hardly see when it's worn , just spot on in my book ,so much so like a fool I bought another one for each kid when they grow up , might be my dumbest move 😕

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    £5,690.00

2008/2009 price list :