closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone want to educate me a little on Panerai

Craftsman

Anyone want to educate me a little on Panerai

Quite fancy trying a Panerai but don't know an awful lot about all the different models, do the model numbers run in sequence where slight differences is the next number up ?
    I would have thought 42mm or 44mm, nothing bigger. I quite like the look of the 537 but I would prefer a brushed rather than polished case, is it a case that they make the same model with a brushed case and it's number ___ ?
    I've noticed 42mm models seem to be on 22mm / 20mm straps and always with a tang buckle, I would prefer a deployant Clasp but presume Panerai don't do a 20mm deployant ?
    Sorry for the dumb questions but there seems to be quite a few Panerai fans on here who will know loads about all the different models

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The main variants are 44 and 47mm.
    The smaller varieties aren't very popular on forums.
    I have never been able to fathom their numbering system.

There are a few case variants.
    Luminor - crown guard.
    Luminor 1950 - more historic with engraved crown guard.
    Radiomir - no crown guard, often have wire lugs.
    Radiomir 1940 - latest case shape. Sort of a hybrid between the 50s case and radiomir case, no wire lugs.

Enthusiasts tend to go for base models, handwound without complications and usually a sandwich dial because they find them more historically in keeping with the Panerai of old.

Really though, it's a case of finding what you like the look of in other threads and reading up as there's such a lot of small to huge variations.

Craftsman
    Panerai's range covers a lot of ground. To which style Panerai are you drawn: Luminor, Radiomir, or Submersible?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    Panerai's range covers a lot of ground. To which style Panerai are you drawn: Luminor, Radiomir, or Submersible?
    I seem to be favouring a Luminor, I quite like the 537 for the power reserve indicator and the textured dial, I'm also liking the 088, which is slightly larger at 44mm. I'm currently seaching "Panerai" on eBay and take a look when a picture catches my eye, but all the different model numbers are so confusing !

Master
    Don't rule out the Radiomir. At 45mm it sounds very big but the wire lugs have it wearing smaller than the 44mm Luminors. Whilst it's distinctive it isn't as 'obvious' on the wrist as a Luminor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Wire lugs?

I've had a few panerai luminors and you get go wrong with an 88,but if you've not had one I think I'd look at a 328-329,with a bracelet to give you more options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking on line and being totally confused, i spent a weekend in London recently so visited a couple Panerai outlets.
    I am after a Radiomir really, and having tried on a 45 and 47mm models, they do wear much smaller than their size suggests,
    so now i have to start looking at the variants. Dont really want to spend much more than 4K so a 388 seems favoritte and
    easily achievable well below as i think list is 3.4K, but no sandwich dial and i would prefer a two hand with no seconds counter.
    The crownguard models do nothing for me at all.

Blog Entries
    I have a 20mm deployant on my 40mm PAM48

I prefer the smaller variants, but, deemed by a few not to be proper PAM! Doesn't bother me though !

If you want to be "educated on Panerai" based on a recent visit I would avoid Watches of Switzerland. I called in there hoping they might have a 676 I could have a look at. A nice young Lady behind the counter asked whether I was looking for anything specific and I told her which one. She replied that she had the ones in the cabinet did I see it there ? no. They had more in the safe she could check, what does it look like ? I said well it looks like the one in the huge photograph on the wall just behind you !. Anyway they didn't have one but it still looks lovely in photographs.

Craftsman
    So I've narrowed it down to a luminor 1950 and then spotted something I really like the pictures of, it's the PAM00524 Flyback. It seems to have it all for me, 44mm and brushed case, just a little expensive but not too expensive.
    I've found a brand new one on Chrono24 from a trusted Italian seller but I think I'll have a ring around locally tomorrow so I won't be buying it unseen.
    Any opinions on the forum of the 524, or does any of our members actually own one ?

This might be of use...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1327842737

For me Panerai are at there best when kept simple.