TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Submariner...date or non date?

Master
    Submariner for me.

My watch, Tony's (LTF) photograph.

scooter

Journeyman
    ND clearly seems to be the majority - but I disagree, you need the date.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So glad this topic has come up I'm currently looking to pick up my first Sub looking for pre owned and found myself leaning towards the ND but people kept saying the cyclops is what makes it stand out. But I guess it's personal choice and the ND prices seem very good ATM if buying late 90s ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    So glad this topic has come up I'm currently looking to pick up my first Sub looking for pre owned and found myself leaning towards the ND but people kept saying the cyclops is what makes it stand out. But I guess it's personal choice and the ND prices seem very good ATM if buying late 90s ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's either Submariner or Submariner Date. I prefer the Submariner personally and if you have to know the date on your watch then use the bezel.

Submariner...date or non date?

I think some of this Puritanism is getting a little silly, especially to the point that the use of the bezel to somehow indicate the date has been suggested on a watch which comes with the option of a legible, well executed, quickset date... to some I suppose the Cyclops is an issue, if so then there's the Seadweller (until now).

I more than understand the appreciation of the original, dateless form of the Submariner. It's a design classic. In an ideal world I'd have my 16610 for daily wear, and a 5513 or 5512 on leather for weekends, and as a pickup and go automatic watch without a date to set.

However, there's nothing wrong with the Submariner Date! It's also iconic, wears really well, is tough, etc. and unless you're a frequent traveller/have family across the world, in which case a GMT function might come in handy, I think it has the two most useful features in a watch (minute bezel + date).

I more than understand the objection to badly done dates, and would rather not have a date than have a badly done one, but there seem to be some who actively hate date windows, and what they stand for . It's like people who say the only cars you can have fun in are ones with manual gearboxes, or that driving an auto doesn't make you a 'real driver'.

Clearly divers like knowing the date anyway, look at the Ploprof/Seadweller etc. Almost as if they didn't spend the entirety of their lives underwater...

I can never remember the date though, so I want one on most of my watches (but would happily buy some without.)

Edited to add: I don't mean to criticise those who simply prefer the Sub without a date, they look great, hark back to (or are) the original ones, and are cheaper, so if you can remember the date - why not! It's just there are some (not necessary in this thread, Hodinkee comments are particularly bad for it re: dates in general) who seem to think it's almost a moral question.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 1st April 2017 at 08:30.

Journeyman
    So subjective...only agree with half of you lot on this one....mate...just go for which ever one best pleases your eyes...then forget about it and enjoy the watch

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think it says a lot when new the date subs are harder to come by and the vast majority left are the non dates so the general public must like the dates, and in the real world especially when i went to london a few months ago a lot of people had subs ( i know a bit sad looking at peoples watches )and i didnt see a single non date one

Apprentice
    There's no bad choice here, just preference, they're both great watches. I had a 16610 but couldn't get along with the Cyclops hence the 14060, I will be picking up a 114060 in the summer too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    This topic has been done to death a million times before on watch forums worldwide. Tedious doesnt come near.
    You may find this tedious I replied because I found it useful if you find it so tedious just don't reply...

Apprentice
    This topic has been done to death a million times before on watch forums worldwide. Tedious doesnt come near.
    Opinions change, there's no harm is asking the question again, you could always unfollow this thread if it bothers you

Quote Originally Posted by andykllhr View Post
    Opinions change, there's no harm is asking the question again, you could always unfollow this thread if it bothers you

I agree.
    And how boring would forums be if people only ever used the search function instead of starting conversations.
    And maybe some people who have never commented on the topic before (like me) would like to do so now.
    Some forum members really are miserable sods.

I was never a fan of the cyclops so that's why I initially liked the ND. These days I don't mind the cyclops at all but I still prefer the Submariner over the Date because it's a classic and cleaner design.
    The ND is the original Rolex dive watch and everything else: the Date, SD, DSSD is derivative. I think it is great that they still make this watch at all and even with the latest updates to the model, I see it as very much their heritage piece in the lineup.

I find it ironic as well that their cheapest dive watch is also the best looking (IMO of course).

As someone said above, the Date is harder to find on the high street, but I think it is obvious why that is and yet the forum members seem to generally prefer the ND: the cyclops is what Joe Public associates with the Rolex brand and without it, to them it looks like the ND is not a Rolex...

....my partner, who wears an Air-King (because she is not keen on the cyclops) once had an acquaintance accuse her of being flash by wearing a "fake watch" because her Air-King "didn't have a bubble". The best bit of all is this person worked in a jewellers!

I've never had a first hand anecdote that so perfectly captured how little the average person knows about watches and how powerful Rolex branding is. Your average punter in search of a status symbol won't want everyone not recognising the £6k watch on their wrist.

Aficionados can like both models, but they are a monitory.

Craftsman
    Well I've found all the responses very helpful and enjoyed looking at some nice looking watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think it says a lot when new the date subs are harder to come by and the vast majority left are the non dates so the general public must like the dates, and in the real world especially when i went to london a few months ago a lot of people had subs ( i know a bit sad looking at peoples watches )and i didnt see a single non date one
    Definitely, the cyclops is as much as a recognised feature of a Rolex as the Oyster bracelet which is what 'the general public' want from the brand. And why they feature on nearly every sports model. It's only us weirdos that want no-dates and strap options.

As for dates on watches, my family members always have them set to the wrong date anyway.

Apprentice
    That's because 99 percent would never have known that the original Submariner's did not have a date function. A diver does not care what the date is when he's underwater for an hour. However, a date function on the SD does make sense as they are / were used for saturation divers who would spend long intervals living in decompression chambers and therefore would want to know what date it was.

Master
    I think if you wanted to sell it in the future the date version would be eaiser to sell if your planning to keep it it makes no difference

Pre ceramic = date
    Ceramic = non date
    Thread concluded.

Journeyman
    No date
    Until the battery runs out, you will only need to set it twice a year.

I think if you wanted to sell it in the future the date version would be eaiser to sell if your planning to keep it it makes no difference
    The majority on this thread, and on previous Polls here are suggest the no-date is more popular, so how would it be harder to sell?

One listed last night sold in under half an hour.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...tium-dial-SOLD

Master
    I was talking about what the general public like to buy not tz forums so a much larger market place

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Had two. No date didn't last long, but loved the LVc which only went in the end to fund a bigger purchase. I would buy one again if prices hadn't risen so much since I sold
    Last edited by mtagrant; 3rd April 2017 at 14:36.

Initially bought a ND as liked the clean looks; but after 4m flipped for s/h SubC Date, as didn't realise I needed the check the date so much expensive lesson :(

I own both the 14060m and the LVc. The last one I'd sell in the ND.

If I were buying a sub it would be a no date

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stolid View Post
    No date
    Until the battery runs out, you will only need to set it twice a year.
    - Oh Hang on - was that posted on 1st April?

Blog Entries
    Non dates for me.

Craftsman
    Date windows are one of my biggest sticking points. If it's not at 6 or 12 then no-date for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Non dates for me.

Amazing looking, although both different the design is virtually identical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Had two. No date didn't last long, but loved the LVc which only went in the end to fund a bugger purchase. I would buy one again if prices hadn't risen so much since I sold
    May I assume that April fool's day had an influence on your post? Or was it a typo?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    May I assume that April fool's day had an influence on your post? Or was it a typo?
    I am sure I spotted and corrected that typo. I guess I mistyped it a second time :)
    Corrected now (or may be not)

Date is integral to the look. The cyclops makes it a sub.

Non for me. It's a tool watch

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    That's not a very informed or intelligent post.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 3rd April 2017 at 21:42.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    I think the Cyclops makes it a sub date

Journeyman
    I tried quite a few on before getting one, and opted for the non-date version.

Looks far nicer on the sub.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    My only other watch is a gold datejust on a lizard strap, this goes very well with a suit/shirt and would continue to be my daily.

The sub is purely for weekends.
    No date makes more sense! Aesthetically it's nicer, the cyclops doesn`t help the watch in my opinion, and you won't be too concerned about knowing the date on a weekend.

To quote the Nike t-shirt......'Just do It'

Paul

There is no choice. The cyclops is a wart on the most classic of sports' watches. It stands there purely as a 'look at me, I have a Rolex' wart.

So ND or SD.

I'm a fan of the cyclops, plus I find a date very useful so I'd be going Sub date.

Journeyman
    Think it looks more elegant without the date

Journeyman
    It's a real pain in the *+** not having a date but....I think the symmetry without it is perfect.

Apprentice
    So clean looking with no date

Journeyman
    Maybe I'm just getting older but simpler is better...

Journeyman
    I've got a no date sub. Really quick and easy to set if not being used.

I take back what I said. I tried on a no date and a date sub today at an AD while on holiday in Istanbul. No date suited my father in law but I am in love with the date sub and really want one now.

Hate the cyclops is basically ruins the crystal
    Who needs the date magnifying anyway?

Mozza

Both great watches, go with what feels right for you

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Non dates for me.

Lovely Paul, the 2-line subs are my favourites.

Some nice watches Here! It's got to be no date with me. Personally I've never been a huge fan if the bubble - in my mind it detracts from the watch somewhat.

Craftsman
    Finally decided to go with the Sub Date, I do really like both watches but I feel gravitated towards the date.

My AD has promised me I'm next on the list and they are hoping they get one in a delivery today, ready for collection tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Finally decided to go with the Sub Date, I do really like both watches but I feel gravitated towards the date.

My AD has promised me I'm next on the list and they are hoping they get one in a delivery today, ready for collection tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Currently on holiday in Istanbul. Had a choice of date or no date both with about £500 off. Plus tax free on top. AD said Rolex are restricting the UK market because the watches are cheap since brexit and foreigners are choosing to buy from there instead of their home country. "They are doing it for brand protection."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Lovely Paul, the 2-line subs are my favourites.
    Cheers Marcus and trust all is well buddy