closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WIS guide to Birmingham?

Master

WIS guide to Birmingham?

I'm off to Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield to be exact, a week on Friday to stay with the other half's Mum (yes my other half is coming to!) and whilst I've visited the city centre a fair few times previously I've never really had a "WIS day" to myself - save for perusing the windows of Goldsmiths & Ernest Jones in the Bullring and having a passing glance at Watches of Switzerland.

Seeing as I'm being dragged to The Baby Show at the NEC I thought I'd treat myself to a morning/afternoon of window shopping, can anyone with local knowledge point me in the right direction or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Re: WIS guide to Birmingham?

You have the new omega boutique in the bullring. You could try the Jewellery quarter. They can be ok price wise. Last oct/nov one of the dealers had seadweller with b/p for £3,500 which I thought was an ok price. Nice patek dealer on Harbourne high street. Can't remember the name thou.

How about the Birmingham Watch Fair. It's this Sunday.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by sandeep1221
    Thanks for the heads up.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by zodiac
    You have the new omega boutique in the bullring. You could try the Jewellery quarter. They can be ok price wise. Last oct/nov one of the dealers had seadweller with b/p for £3,500 which I thought was an ok price. Nice patek dealer on Harbourne high street. Can't remember the name thou.
    I hope the staff at the new Omega Boutique aren't as standoffish as the ones at Westfield (White City) otherwise I won't be looking for very long, and although I've been to the city centre quite a few times I don't think I've ever visited the jewellery quarter, at least not knowingly. Harbourne seems like a nice part of the world so I may see if I can track down the PP dealer you mentioned, albeit with no intention of purchasing :(

You, Sir, are a genius! I had no idea about this and seeing as I'm to be coaxed around The Baby Show I see know reason why I shouldn't be "allowed" to visit this, once I find out the details of course.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    I hope the staff at the new Omega Boutique aren't as standoffish as the ones at Westfield (White City) otherwise I won't be looking for very long, and although I've been to the city centre quite a few times I don't think I've ever visited the jewellery quarter, at least not knowingly. Harbourne seems like a nice part of the world so I may see if I can track down the PP dealer you mentioned, albeit with no intention of purchasing :(

You, Sir, are a genius! I had no idea about this and seeing as I'm to be coaxed around The Baby Show I see know reason why I shouldn't be "allowed" to visit this, once I find out the details of course.
    Clock and Watch Fair is at The National Motorcycle Museum which is at J6 of the M42, directly opposite the NEC. Takes place here approx every quarter, I never miss it.

Starts at 9.00 on Sunday morning, entrance fee £5, well worth a look, lots of dealers and some (fairly) good prices.

Jewellery Qtr is worth a few hours ,some good watering holes also!

Master

There's been mention of noddy holders used watch shop (noddy's grotto) in several of these brummy threads although no one seems to know exactly where it is or if it even exists anymore :?

I've always wanted to pop into the shop for this place but never got around to it:
    http://www.pilotswatches.co.uk/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    There's been mention of noddy holders used watch shop (noddy's grotto) in several of these brummy threads although no one seems to know exactly where it is or if it even exists anymore :?
    Yes i hear Noddy,s place has a wide range of second hand watches the store is located somewhere just off Broad street . :)

WIS day in Birmingham eh?
    You HAVE to visit Harbourne High Street, in particular that fantastic independent "Rudells The Jewellers" they always have a great window, they are ADs for........................................ready for this, in alphebetical order:
    Audemars Piguet
    Breitling
    Bremont
    Cartier
    Chopard
    Dent-London
    Dreyfuss & Co
    Ebel
    Franck Muller
    Gucci
    Hublot
    IWC
    JLC
    Longines
    Mont Blanc
    Omega
    Patek Philippe
    Rado
    Raymond Weil
    Roger Dubuis
    Rolex
    Tag Heuer
    Tissot
    TW Steel

As well as their own brand Rudell Watches

That should keep you busy for a while, enjoy :)

padders72

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4
    I actually work there, bang in the middle, can anyone suggest any specific dealers worth visiting in my lunch hours?

The Harborne place is very good and very friendly when I was after a sub a few years back the boss in there couldn't help enough and was happy just to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by padders72
    I actually work there, bang in the middle, can anyone suggest any specific dealers worth visiting in my lunch hours?

The Harborne place is very good and very friendly when I was after a sub a few years back the boss in there couldn't help enough and was happy just to chat.

You have PK Jewellers on Vitorria Street. The guys inside say they have lots of vintage sports models in the safe. Also two shops on Vyse Street opposite the railway station. Reasonable collection for sale 2nd hand.

padders72

You have PK Jewellers on Vitorria Street. The guys inside say they have lots of vintage sports models in the safe. Also two shops on Vyse Street opposite the railway station. Reasonable collection for sale 2nd hand.
    Cheers, sounds good, opposite Cousins too which can be handy for spare parts and such. Next job is to persuade them to give me trade discount...

WIS guide to Birmingham?

Loakes is one of them I think, and the other is Fellows I think. A lot of interesting second hand stuff - most of it fairly battered and of interesting provenance!

Journeyman

Do the watch fair this Sunday :bounce:

Master

Thanks for all the replies guys - I'm quite taken aback and there certainly seems to be no shortage of places for the WIS to visit in his/her travels in Birmingham, and chances are that I should be at the fair on Sunday ;)

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymonks
    WIS day in Birmingham eh?
    You HAVE to visit Harbourne High Street, in particular that fantastic independent "Rudells The Jewellers" they always have a great window, they are ADs for........................................ready for this, in alphebetical order:

As well as their own brand Rudell Watches

That should keep you busy for a while, enjoy :)
    That's my local, and the place where they let me have a really good look at the Patek Philippe Celestial.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Blog Entries

Tony Rudell died last year, very nice man by all accounts. They also have a shop in Wolverhampton. I very often have a watch day to myself and visit most of the above

Master
    Rather than start a new thread I'm planning to visit a few places on brum to look at watches this Friday (Thursday is my birthday).

Having lived in brum for over 35 years I've only just gotten into the world of horology and hence dont know where to look for watches.

This thread is 5 years old so was wondering if anyone knows of any new shops or places to take a look.

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jewellery quarter for pre owned and bullring and wos in new st

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    I've always wanted to pop into the shop for this place but never got around to it:
    http://www.pilotswatches.co.uk/
    This is a new one on me

Robberts and Rex Johnson i all was look in you never know and if your in wootton wawen the world of time is all ways worth a look for vintage pete in the rag market you never know wot his got.....

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer View Post
    Yes i hear Noddy,s place has a wide range of second hand watches the store is located somewhere just off Broad street . :)
    Were is this place any body know?

The display of second hand watches in Goldsmiths in the Bull Ring is always good for a laugh (comedy prices).

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 03:13.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 03:13.

Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    This is a new one on me
    Not me, I bought my first hi-fi there - Dual deck, JVC components and LNB speakers - in 1979!