closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex owners: are you rich and/or retired?

Rolex owners: are you rich and/or retired?

Please note that I post this with my tongue firmly in cheek. so don't shoot the messenger!

Hodinkee have broken the news that the average Rolex owner is likely to be rich and retired, with an average age of 68:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/uk...ls-nothing-new

https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/discov...x/watch-owners

However those statistics hide a lot of variance and Rolex wearers can be found in all walks of life:

"While wealth might increase the chances of owning a Rolex, it is clearly no barrier – our list of jobs titles reflects the entire of British society from Classical Musicians and Analytical Chemists to Café Workers and Check Out Assistants. Interestingly, the towns and cities with the youngest overall populations seem to have the least number of Rolex owners."

The survey also reveals that only 0.1% of Rolex owners are divers.

Hopefully that means I don't have to move into suburbia and wait until I retire before I get to wear a Rolex.

Gentlemen, your thoughts please?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 16th February 2017 at 21:48.

Guilty as charged. Sorry.

Master
    I'm 38 and have several, but I'm willing to accept there must be a few 98 year olds with Rolex too, so the average could well be correct.

I'm neither rich nor retired though, more's the pity.

I bought my first Rolex at 26 years old and was far from 'rich'.

Fast forward to now - I have had maybe 80 to 100 watches pass through my hands over the subsequent 49 years.

Still not 'rich' in the strictest sense of the word!. I am sure it's a case of making statistics say what they want, but there are some generation differences hidden in there. A lot of younger people do not wear a watch regularly and chose to use their phone for checking the time. I have met people from all walks of life who wear Rolex and other high end watches who have a modest life, others (who were minted)are asset rich but watches do not figure in their life.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 16th February 2017 at 21:36. Reason: typo
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    No - neither

Neither

If I was rich, I'm pretty sure I would not be buying a Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Neither
    Gentlemen, this isn't supposed to be a survey!

Neither.

What is rich nowadays?

Craftsman
    Nope!

First Rolex at around 27, had several since and currently have two age 31. Certainly not loaded by any means, eleven years in the RAF, wife/son/mortgages/car etc

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Why?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I am 68 so fit that profile, although only one of my watches is a Rolex. Not rich either. The truth here could be that the general design of Rolex watches suits older people more than it does younger people. All that appeal to tradition.
    For most of my working life I wore either an Omega Seamaster or an old Seiko. Rolex did not appeal to me.Too 'just off to the golf-club, '. Funny the ideas we pick-up.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    43 years old, own 5 rolex's.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Why?
    Nothing against the brand, however if I was 'rich' there are so many other more interesting brands I would rather have. No need to name them, we all know which ones they are.

I think one of the main reasons the average person buys Rolex (sports models) is because they are comforted that if they needed to sell they could recover their funds without taking a loss. £6k on a watch is a massive investment for most people and Rolex provides that safety blanket, in the current market conditions (might change one day).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    What is rich nowadays?
    Having £50 spare the day before pay day.

I bought my first Rolex in my early 20's, on 0% finance from my local AD. I have bought many since then, and at one time I owned 26 of them. I own less than half that amount now.

I still love my Rolex watches and I own more Rolex than any other brand. I would still say Rolex is my favourite brand of watch.

Im not rich, or retired (mid 40's), I only work part time. I do however prioritise my spending on my hobbys and the things I enjoy like holidays.

Nothing against the brand, however if I was 'rich' there are so many other more interesting brands I would rather have. No need to name them, we all know which ones they are.

I think one of the main reasons the average person buys Rolex (sports models) is because they are comforted that if they needed to sell they could recover their funds without taking a loss. £6k on a watch is a massive investment for most people and Rolex provides that safety blanket, in the current market conditions (might change one day).
    I'm not sure I'd agree. If I was a billionaire I'd still wear a Rolex most of the time. I could sell off a number of my watches and buy almost any singlewatch I wanted, but nothing like that appeals to me as much. Don't get my wrong I love my Patek, but it would be going sooner than either my 16600 Sea-Dwellers, or 16610LV Subs.

Master
    I am not retired, 30 years old.
    But I am blessed and "rich". I get by, I have a family that loves me and that I adore, I have my health, my friends and my hobbies so yeah definitely "rich" and happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I'd agree. If I was a billionaire I'd still wear a Rolex most of the time. I could sell off a number of my watches and buy almost any singlewatch I wanted, but nothing like that appeals to me as much. Don't get my wrong I love my Patek, but it would be going sooner than either my 16600 Sea-Dwellers, or 16610LV Subs.
    I would suggest that if you were a billionaire you might wear your Rolex 'beater' to do the gardening or paint the spare room but you would be pulling out the Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon for your birthday celebrations 
    Last edited by ataripower; 16th February 2017 at 22:20.

Master
    I would suggest that if you were a billionaire you might wear your Rolex 'beater' to do the gardening or paint the spare room but you would be pulling out the Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon for your birthday celebrations 
    I wouldn't because I don't like Pateks. My financial situation would not alter my taste in watches, or anything else.

If I win the lotto this weekend, my new found riches will take me from affordable vintage Rolex to expensive vintage Rolex - DRSDs, double reference MilSubs etc.

I wouldn't buy a Sky-Moon. I much prefer a watch with simple functions, a gmt function is nice, and a chronograph at a push, but I prefer 3 handers. Plus I used to do gardening and anything/everything else wearing a WG Daytona - it didn't disintegrate ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own one or two. I'm not rich, (mortgage and young children), and I'm not retired, (35 years old).

Oh, and that 0.1% who are actual diver's? His name is Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I wouldn't because I don't like Pateks. My financial situation would not alter my taste in watches, or anything else.

If I win the lotto this weekend, my new found riches will take me from affordable vintage Rolex to expensive vintage Rolex - DRSDs, double reference MilSubs etc.
    Do you not think that a significant change in financial circumstances (like a big lotto win) would not allow you to expand your horizons when it came to watches? A whole new world of timepieces previously unnatainable would now become within your reach and i'm pretty sure would appeal more than a vintage Rolex.

This would apply to many other areas, house, car, holiday destinations. Money allows you to expand horizons and experience new things previously not considered

Master
    Do you not think that a significant change in financial circumstances (like a big lotto win) would not allow you to expand your horizons when it came to watches? A whole new world of timepieces previously unnatainable would now become within your reach and i'm pretty sure would appeal more than a vintage Rolex.

This would apply to many other areas, house, car, holiday destinations. Money allows you to expand horizons and experience new things previously not considered
    Money certainly allows it. But by no means do people have to expand their horizons. My dad was a filthy rich lawyer. He was and still is perfectly content with vintage avias, cheap swatch, estate cars etc. Some are perfectly happy with what they have regardless of wealth. Omegamaniac has the means to expand his horizons, but he doesn't because he knows what he likes. Where's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Money certainly allows it. But by no means do people have to expand their horizons. My dad was a filthy rich lawyer. He was and still is perfectly content with vintage avias, cheap swatch, estate cars etc. Some are perfectly happy with what they have regardless of wealth. Omegamaniac has the means to expand his horizons, but he doesn't because he knows what he likes. Where's the issue?
    No issue, however you only get one life and I would like to experience as much as possible while I have the health to do so. If funds permitted me to experience more in this life then I currently could, then I would embrace that opportunity and be grateful that I was able to.

I don't think that's the whole story - the "average" person buys rolex to show off his rollie.
    The rest of your post is fair.
    With unlimited funds my collection would be very diverse - but my go-to "beater" would be a mid-range brand like rolex or Omega.

Master
    No issue, however you only get one life and I would like to experience as much as possible while I have the health to do so. If funds permitted me to experience more in this life then I currently could, then I would embrace that opportunity and be grateful that I was able to.
    Indeed. But many people are quite happy with what they have.

Master

No, you're confusing taste with financial means. If I won the lotto would I buy a bigger house? Probably. Not because my taste in houses would chnage, but because I could afford a bigger house with 100 acres around it. I'd say I would likely decorate it similarly to the house I live in now, even down to the paint.

Would I buy expensive cars? Definitely. Because I can't afford a Ferrari now.

My holiday destinations would not change. Nor would my taste in watches.

Banned
    Both.😇

Master
    Alan Sugar regularly buys and wears different Rolex watches. He gets them from AD Michael Spiers and tweets a picture of them, thanking the AD. He may very well have other brands but it's his Rolexes that I see on Twitter and The apprentice.

Master
    I'm certainly not rich - never earned (or will earn) more than £40k pa but I've had a number of Rolex and other brands (IWC/JLC/Panerai/Oris). I didn't buy them new and they used to be 'affordable'. In 2001 a new SeaDweller was £2500, a second hand Sub was £1900?. My Mark XV IWC was £1800 used mid 2000s and I got interest free credit so all these were more affordable than they are now. I got a Reverso Night and Day mid 2000s for £2400 that watch is now prob nearer £5k. Since discovering TZ-UK I've seen lots of lovely cheaper watches and some affordable Rolex. Don't think I could go to an AD now except for the credit facilities. At some point the watch you want pops up here (more than once!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Alan Sugar regularly buys and wears different Rolex watches. He gets them from AD Michael Spiers and tweets a picture of them, thanking the AD. He may very well have other brands but it's his Rolexes that I see on Twitter and The apprentice.
    Does he buy them or does he have an 'arrangement' with that dealer. Easy to loan a watch for a TV programme then get it back and send another out.

I do understand that to an extent, but it's not realistic. One because your thoughts are as someone who does have limited means imagining what it would be like to have infinite resources.

One paradox you might suffer is when you can afford anything, you don't want any of them, as most things might lose their appeal - hence the market for one-off builds, or the crazy bidding on one-off works of art etc.

I have no desire for a minute repeater, or even a perpetual calender. Affordability doesn't come into it. I'd still buy what I like the look of.

In any case, if I had the means I be too busy travelling everywhere I'd probably wear a multi-time zone Quartz like my Omega Skywalker or a G-Shock, and not give a hoot what anyone thought about my choice of watch. Not that I care so much what people think today.

Quite honestly do you think people I meet are more impressed when I wear my Patek, or my Smiths 29B? I'd hazard a guess the reality would be pretty even. A lot of female friends and colleagues have liked the look of the NATO on the Smiths - not one has noticed the Patek, and I seriously doubt many have even heard of the brand; I know I hadn't even when I bought my first Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    No, you're confusing taste with financial means. If I won the lotto would I buy a bigger house? Probably. Not because my taste in houses would chnage, but because I could afford a bigger house with 100 acres around it. I'd say I would likely decorate it similarly to the house I live in now, even down to the paint.

Would I buy expensive cars? Definitely. Because I can't afford a Ferrari now.

My holiday destinations would not change. Nor would my taste in watches.
    I think your tastes develop over time and are subject to change, often as a result of a change of circumstances. How do you know if you would not like a watch if you have never previously considered it due to it being out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Does he buy them or does he have an 'arrangement' with that dealer. Easy to loan a watch for a TV programme then get it back and send another out.
    He buys, and has quite a few watches, including a very nice Piaget.

We're all rich by global standards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    As far as I'm aware he owns them as he wore his 116520 for years on the show regularly, he recently got the 116500 (and a blue gold sub) so logically it's his. He also has a holiday home done this part of the world so I guess that's how the connection originally came by.

I doubt he had to wait for his 116500, though I can confirm I got mine from The same AD before him

Clearly I'm a bigger fish round these parts

I think your tastes develop over time and are subject to change, often as a result of a change of circumstances. How do you know if you would not like a watch if you have never previously considered it due to it being out of reach.
    ;)

Oh I consider every watch I like. Price doesn't stop that thought process. I'd have a nice Credor admittedly, but just because I love the look.

I feel the same way about some cars. I do not aspire to own a Ferrari, although I've driven them and like them a lot. As a brand I prefer Porsche, and also like the modern Mclarens. But I honestly think I'd be happy with something like an S3, or a 997 GT3 at a push.

In the same light I would never buy a yacht no matter how much money I had.

Do billionaires paint the spare room. I can't picture Roman Abromovich throwing on some old clothes and getting his paint rollers out the back of the garage.

Master
    ;)

In the same light I would never buy a yacht no matter how much money I had.
    I don't think you've thought this bit through. Where are you going to take all the super models on holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Do billionaires paint the spare room. I can't picture Roman Abromovich throwing on some old clothes and getting his paint rollers out the back of the garage.
    Good point well made, although you never know. He might throw the odd billionaire only painting parties

Banned
    I think there bitter 🤑

Bought my first Rolex at 21. Certainly not rich then.

Doing better now

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

1) getting by.
    2) retiring this year (56)

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I don't think you've thought this bit through. Where are you going to take all the super models on holiday?

There is that terrible burden to consider of course. I still don't like boats ;)

Some nice properties with suitable pools for bathing might be more my thing. A Rolex would come in handy in the pool too ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    We're all rich by global standards.
    This plus I have the glorious privilege of doing what I love for a living.

69, retired, not rich, previously owned two Rolexes, but not currently.

As part of a wider collection I certainly would.

Blog Entries
    Nearly retired, maybe sooner than later if I can get a pay off. Quite well off. Got 3 Rolex. So those stats could be about right - especially about those sitting on them for 'investments '.

Martyn.