closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on this vintage Omega Geneve?

Advice on this vintage Omega Geneve?

I've been on the lookout for a vintage Omega for my partner.

Ideally something 60's, round case, simple dial - some gold in the mix.

I have been keeping an eye on the classifieds & eBay, initially looking for a gold plated model, but it seems that many are in poor condition - so decided I may stand a better chance of finding a stainless steel case in better shape.

Amongst others, I have seen one that has caught my eye. For sale at a jewellers, who are perhaps not watch experts as the description is light on detail, but they do say that it has been serviced and imply a 12 month warranty, also a 2 week no quibble refund policy.

The pictures are a little overdone and initially i assumed the dial had been restored perhaps, but the picture in the case gives a better idea of the dials natural colour.

Screenshot_2017-01-24-19-49-09-01 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

Screenshot_2017-01-24-19-49-15-01 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

Screenshot_2017-01-24-19-49-20-01 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

From a bit of Googling it seems to be a 1960/61 Omega Geneve, case ref 14724 with cal 610.

Any thoughts on how original this watch looks? I've compared to others on Google images and the dial looks right, but does look rather clean? Case looks polished, but still retains some shape. No pictures of the movement unfortunately.
    Should a crystal from this era have an Omega logo somewhere?

All being well, what would be a fair price for this? Would £400 be fair, or overpriced?

Appreciate any advice on this one.

I'm tempted to make an offer, but if it looks like a bit of a polished turd then I will continue with my search!

Master

image upload no registration

Hopefully this should give you a link to a discussion board where they discuss the Geneve and also a Chrono 24 link with a price of £409?

Grand Master
    Not sure when Omega started putting the symbol on the crystals, I think it was around 1961. However, it's not a deal-breaker, nowadays I refuse to pay £30 for the little symbol and advise fitting generic crystals at £3 or £4, they're just as good, and that's what my own watches will get in future. The replacement crystals Omega sell aren`t exactly the right profile for some cases, they're very much a replacement rather than an original spec item.

I would say the dial's been refinished, but can`t be certain from the pics. I'd also put the age of the watch as very early 60s. Looks OK, all depends on the price. The script of the Geneve lettering may be slightly wrong, dial restorers can`t usually get it exactly right. Ideally, I`d want to inspect this watch before buying, over-polishing of the lugs would be a concern. Some loss of sharpness isn`t an issue but the 'melted chocolate' look isn`t desirable!

Not sure whether this was a waterproof case. I always prefer waterproof examples; even if the WR has been lost it can usually be restored to make the watch splashproof and that makes a lot of difference to everyday wearability. My guess is that this won`t be waterproof, it looks very similar to an 18ct rose gold version I restored a while back and that wasn`t waterproof. It's stretching a point to call the dial a pie-pan....certainly doesn`t meet my definition but it's very nice all the same!

Trying to find a good gold-plated model is difficult because usually they're worn through on the lugs. There are exceptions to that rule, I`ve got two 60s Omegas in at the moment, both gold plated and both in excellent condition. That's rare, and the owner's looking forward to getting them back.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 25th January 2017 at 15:05.

Thanks Mark - well spotted.

Paul, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I initially thought the dial was restored as it looked so clean in the photos, but I think they are a little overexposed, so difficult to judge.

I looked at photos of some others I found and felt that the font, markers, etc all matched up.

These two are same case type with similar dials..

https://www.qualityvintagetimepieces...darSSfull.html

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1960...ly-dial.17606/

I decided to purchase the watch this morning as I hadn't seen many like this for sale, and know my partner will like the style. The jeweller offered a 2 week return period, and a 1 year guarantee - so if it doesn't look right in the metal I can send it back. Watch was supposedly serviced within the last year, but there is no paperwork to support that.

The jeweller wouldn't move far on price, I paid £415 in the end.

Should be with me tomorrow so will add some honest photos once I have it!

Grand Master
    Looks OK to me. Price is reasonable with guarantee etc.

Suggest you check it carefully for timekeeping when it arrives. Check it dial up after fully winding, then check the rate on the wrist over several hours. I always advise winding a hand-wound watch last thing at night and first thing in the morning. The rate will vary when it's in a low state of wind, although it'll run for around 44hrs.

Paul

Thanks again Paul - I will do.

Have you seen this: link? Omega show this info:

1961 Genève CK 14726

CASE Stainless steel
    CASE BACK TYPE Press-in
    DIAL "Pie-pan" type with "Arrow" hour markers and "Dauphine" hands.
    CRYSTAL Hesalite
    BRACELET Leather
    MOVEMENT TYPE Manual winding (mechanical)
    CALIBER NUMBER 285
    Created in 1958
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    WATER RESISTANCE No (hermetic crown)

It wouldn't be the first time that Omega have put up incorrect information, but I would investigate the calibre (610 vs 285) before settling on the watch. The rest is minor as Omega often varied dials, hands etc. You'll soon have the chance to see it closely and that should decide the matter for you. If you like it, keep it (IMO).

Hi PickleB, I did have a look at the Omega vintage database.

From looking around on Google I'm pretty sure this is a 14724, which has been removed from the database, although it still shows up in Google's cache.

I will open it up when I receive it to find out for sure, but other 14724's I have seen whilst googling were fitted with a 601 or 610 iirc.

Grand Master
    Provided everything's in good order, with no worn out/damaged parts, a 285 movement will be fine. a very rugged design, I prefer them to the later 600.

Of all the vintage Omega movements the one I dislike is the 500/501 (and 470). The later 550 was a big improvement in a couple of key areas. Also, parts availability is a real headache. Just sorted my own out (new balance staff needed) and it's running well, but it's a movement I`m not a fan of. The earlier bumpers are a better proposition in my experience; the rotor bush is jewelled on this one, but not on the 500 or 550. Strange decision IMO.

As with all vintage watches, if you get a good 'un you'll be fine. Get a bad one and it can become a money pit.....especially if it's an auto.

The old movements look nice and the parts have a real feel of quality....but an ETA movement from the early 90s onwards will run rings around them! ETA movements were definitely made to a price, the feel and finish of some parts is distinctly flimsy, but they're very good at what they do.

It's a bit like comparing an MGB or TR6 to a Mazda MX5.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by amh82 View Post
    Hi PickleB, I did have a look at the Omega vintage database.

From looking around on Google I'm pretty sure this is a 14724, which has been removed from the database, although it still shows up in Google's cache.

I will open it up when I receive it to find out for sure, but other 14724's I have seen whilst googling were fitted with a 601 or 610 iirc.
    That good. I don't know where I got 14726 from...my apologies for the error.

I received the Omega yesterday evening, have had a chance to take a quick look over and take a few pics - overall I am quite pleased!!

All looks to be in good order to my eyes, the case has been polished and possibly lost some of the original bevelling on the lugs, but not too bad. Rear of case has a few marks.

Dial looks very good to my eye, seems to match up with any other dial I have seen on Google images, so looks to be original hopefully. Hands have tarnished a little, I may try to polish these up if I get time. Movement has been running well dial up overnight - I have not checked to the second as I set it quickly against my phone, but it has kept time to the minute at least.

I'm not convinced the buckle is genuine - it has 'Stainless Steel' laser etched on the back. Even if it was a modern buckle I think it should be engraved/stamped? Would a 1960 Omega have had one of the cast Omega logo buckles?

I'm wondering if the crystal is correct? Some of the other examples I have seen on Google look to have a slightly higher dome, or at least more square edged, which I personally think looks better.. Correct crystal is a PN1062 according to one of the guys on Omega forum, but Cousins don't list it. Even then, for the price difference I would probably use a generic anyway. With this case type, does the bezel have to be removed before popping the crystal out?

Here are a few pics anyway, hopefully all looks OK to those who know better than me!?

1960 Omega Geneve cal 610 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

I don't think I'll keep the lizard strap it's on, I don't think my other partner would like it. Will probably go for a honey brown Hirsch Duke or similar.

I hope she likes it!!

Thanks for all of the advice - I can see a few of these vintage Omegas getting added to my collection now!

Grand Master
    The buckle's probably a replacement and it's likely to be genuine, they're around £18. Not sure when the raised logo buckles stopped, late 50s/early 60s but not sure when. I wouldn`t advise buying one, all the ones on ebay described as NOS are reproductions and they vary in quality.

The movement looks nice. The 610 is the precursor to the quickset 613; interesting to see the swan-neck regulator, I thought these were only used on automatics but I may be wrong. Just taken a 601 to pieces this afternoon, nice straightforward movement although I prefer the earlier hand-wound 269.

I advise caution if trying to clean the hands.

Keep this watch dry, it's supposedly dustproof by definitely not waterproof.

Paul

Thanks Paul, she will keep it dry & safe I hope!

I read up on the 6 series calibre and it seems the 610 used a swan neck setup, whereas the 611 & 613 used an eccentric adjuster.

I will certainly take care if I decide to look at the hands. I thought I might try gently cleaning them with Rodico, but appreciate the risk may outweigh the reward!! Probably best left as they are!

Leave the hands alone, you will ruin them. A little bit of patina doesn't hurt.

Lovely looking piece, the early script Geneves were higher quality than the later base models with the same name.

I love the cross hair design.

I've got a 1960 model with a 552.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Leave the hands alone, you will ruin them. A little bit of patina doesn't hurt.

Lovely looking piece, the early script Geneves were higher quality than the later base models with the same name.

I love the cross hair design.

I've got a 1960 model with a 552.
    True that. Omega closed the factory which made the Geneve's in around 1967 and the quality was less reliable thereafter when they made them wherever. The ones prior to this were up there with Connies, just without the certification or the water fastness of the Seamaster line, after that they are more of an entry level line.
    Last edited by Padders; 28th January 2017 at 19:20.

Thanks Neil, the early Geneve's are indeed very nice. I believe they were second tier to the Constellation at the time?
    They certainly have more interesting designs than the later Geneves, the cross hair and two tone dial really stood out for me on this one!!
    I hear what you're saying with respect the hands. I have cleaned a few sets up previously, but with those (vintage Seiko) I was usually safe in the knowledge that if it went pear shaped, I could probably source a replacement set. I possibly wouldn't have it so easy in this case, the world of vintage Omega is very new to me!!
    Under normal lighting the tarnishing is not that noticable, I agree with you, I don't mind a vintage watch showing it's age a little!! I'm probably being over picky!!

Craftsman
    Looks quite lovely (agree the case doesn't look overly polished).
    Deferring to more knowledgeable people for the rest.
    Best regards,
    S

Sorry to bump this old thread, but whilst trying to copy the flickr links i have somehow deleted a post altogether!! Can't workout how to undo the deletion, so have just copied and pasted it again as below!!

I wasn't sure that my partner would like the lizard skin, so I was on the lookout for a replacement.

Paul had recommended Cousins straps previously, and I had bought one some years ago that was nice quality - he recommend the Omega Style so I ordered one of each in black & brown.

For £6 or so, they are great quality and good looking too. The black one has a nicer finish in my opinion, but strangely has less holes than the brown one - which might make it too loose - so I fitted the brown one for now.

Better looking than the lizard? I think so anyway!!

Thanks for the suggestion Paul!!

Looking forward to the weekend now!

Oh...also, just to add - she loved it and has been wearing it reguarly!!

Grand Master
    I usually end up making extra holes in straps thesedays to get the fit exactly right. I think Cousins have changed supplier for these straps, the last one I bought didn`t have quite the same hole spacing. Hopefully the quality will still be OK.....but you can`t grumble for the price!

A hole-punch can be bought quite cheaply and they're well worth having. In most cases an extra hole can be made between holes, thus giving the desired fit. A small drillbit works but it's not the ideal way to do it, it doesn`t leave as smooth a hole.

Paul

Master
    I have the strap shown above, I got it and a genuine lizard one for my gold Rolex Date. I have to say I think spending the little more for the genuine lizard one is worth it IMO as it is noticeably suoerior and still pretty affordable at around £17 if memory serves.

Grand Master
    The lizard straps are fine, and great value at the price. I think it's down to personal preference, I'll wear a lizard on a gold dress watch but I prefer the more subdued appearance of the cheaper one. The great thing is that they're cheap enough to swap and change.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 9th April 2017 at 21:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The lizard straps are fine, and great value at the price. I think it's down to personal preference, I'll wear a lizard on a gold dress watch but I prefer the more subdued appearance of the cheaper one. The great thing is that they're cheap enough to swap and change.

Paul
    Yep. I have real issues with some of Cousins policies re customer service and price gouging on Omega parts but you can't argue with their strap pricing. For the level of quality they are a steal. I am a big fan of the various buffalo types which are unbeatable at less than a fiver.