closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moto GP 2017

Moto GP 2017

So...as upset the F1 thread which I didn't realise well back to start another GP one instead....

we discuss GP and Moto 2 & 3 here....No point having a separate for each class as they are closely connected...
    We may not get as big audience or as many posters as F1 but we are all friends hopefully....

I'm a long time fan of both and have never actively just slated it for the sake of it....
    indeed riders and drivers have visited both series, JL drove Lewis' championship winning Mercedes end of last year but 9 different winners and 5 different manufacturers means for me it's not perfect but it's doing something right. I'm saddened greatly F1 has lost its way so my focus again this year will be Motorcycling .....

It's not just F1 sadly that's dropped off in interest for me, never ever thought it would but while Dorna have nailed GP they have their way now with WSBK & I just don't find it exciting any more which may have been why they bought out the competition.....

I don't even bother with BSBK much either and that's a shame....

Quite early but a couple of items......

Maverick very quick very early on in the tests... how long will he and Vale stay friends?

Moto 2 rumour is amazingly Triumph to supply engines in 2019....
    Low risk way of enhancing racing credibility without as a team..... hope as reliable as the Honda but will be nice to hear that howling triple as well....

https://www.autosport.com/news/repor...ngine-supplier

Now released from Yamaha gag Lorenzo doesn't think he's going to change his riding style.....

https://www.autosport.com/news/repor...yle-for-ducati

Enjoy the season folks....5
    Last edited by lordloz; 11th January 2017 at 19:00.

Good to see this thread back as well and thank you for restarting it.
    I disapprove of the way it was done but I believe it is probably best to have the 2 threads separate.

Moto 2 as 750cc

Dorna are cocks to be fair. They almost ruined WSB, which was much better before they bought it - and I'd say at one stage it was also better viewing than Moto GP, with better bike/rider information.

What's Moto 3 going to, 600cc ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Lorenzo seems to forget he is benefitting from a multitude of riders refining the bike almost at the expense of their own careers!

Craftsman
    I wish Rossi would win one more championship, then he can retire on top, or even go to WSB same a Baggi.

As regards WSB, good racing from 3 or maybe 4 riders and that's it, it's very disheartening to see the crowds these days. I remember 125,000 at Brands.

Craftsman
    Only rider who I think will tame the Ducati is Marc Marquez, same riding style as Stoner.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Only rider who I think will tame the Ducati is Marc Marquez, same riding style as Stoner.
    It would be easy to agree BUT;
    1. the current Ducati is not the same unruly beast Stoner tamed; Audi management changed a lot at Ducati
    2. Joge is extremely smooth, the smoothest of the lot and then some
    and the two might just match surprisingly well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It would be easy to agree BUT;
    1. the current Ducati is not the same unruly beast Stoner tamed; Audi management changed a lot at Ducati
    2. Jorge is extremely smooth, the smoothest of the lot and then some
    and the two might just match surprisingly well.

The Ducati has been tamed. Anyone who hasn't seen that over the last two years needs to rewatch the seasons :)

Stoner won on an 800cc Ducati, a bike that had considerably more power than any other factory 800 was capable of, which hid a lot of faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Good to see this thread back as well and thank you for restarting it.
    I disapprove of the way it was done but I believe it is probably best to have the 2 threads separate.
    Thanks SJ - I couldn't quite believe what I read really, the threads were always separate but occasionally, bemoaning of lack of excitement and competition in F1 begs just a little banter and humour - no harm, stirs things up and it's a little spat or a giggle for a bit.....

but apparently Moto GP bods are semi literate so have to stay in our own little corner and not poke our nose into F1....

ah well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Moto 2 as 750cc

Dorna are cocks to be fair. They almost ruined WSB, which was much better before they bought it - and I'd say at one stage it was also better viewing than Moto GP, with better bike/rider information.

What's Moto 3 going to, 600cc ;)
    It was definitely better before and I agree more exciting....as I said Dorna couldn't beat them so they bought them up, the racing was more edgy, the times were close and sometimes better than GP so Dorna got scared and have now watered it down....

I wouldn't mind if it really was a proper feeder series but no one looks at riders from WSBK or SS to come through it's all CEV then M3....

Good question really....as sadly Honda no longer building a CBR RR... my best bike so far what do they replace it with?
    In theory it adds up... 250 (200ish) to 750 to 1000 but that's not the reality....

I wish Rossi would win one more championship, then he can retire on top, or even go to WSB same a Baggi.

As regards WSB, good racing from 3 or maybe 4 riders and that's it, it's very disheartening to see the crowds these days. I remember 125,000 at Brands.
    I was there too! what a great day!!

they were great days...don't know why superbikes lost appeal to me, sure it will return but I do spend an inordinate amount of viewing on GP - BT aren't perfect or to everyone's taste I'm sure but the amount of coverage is good. I'd like to see the GP podium properly and better insight inside than the lightweight Chequered Flag which just cuts off too early...but compared to BBC it's light years ahead...

Craftsman
    If they had a few more Chaz Davies's in the field it would bring the crowds back as he is very entertaining to watch ride his Ducati. It always looks like he is going to crash the way he rides it.

If they had a few more Chaz Davies's in the field it would bring the crowds back as he is very entertaining to watch ride his Ducati. It always looks like he is going to crash the way he rides it.
    Chaz is great but almost defines the problems....

the format and formula is somehow wrong and has produced dull racing and I don't know how exactly it's just gone flat.....
    and despite his friendship with Stoner and some great rides and wins for them which others couldn't manage Ducati are not interested in giving him a GP ride at all.....

so he has nowhere to go and its not a stepping stone which under one umbrella it should be.... Dorna got scared by the speed and power of the bikes which got too close to GP times and the entertainment of WSBK and following was challenging their position so they bought them out and killed it....

In other news Jonathan Palmer has acquired Donington on a long lease
    (I met Tom and Kevin years back and used to give me free Paddock tickets and Kevin isn't daft to give up whole freehold)
    Should see MSV improving facilities etc over time which it needs and have done a good job with Brands

(was in the box next to JP at a BSB round and thoroughly nice guy)

Long as Rocket Ron can still have his school there then fine by me....

http://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/23683...gton-park.html

I read today that Moto2 are switching to Triumph engines. The new 775cc speed triple motor. I guess that's the story behind the switch to a larger capacity.

It stands to reason really that they need a new engine supplier now Honda no longer make the CBR600R.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I read today that Moto2 are switching to Triumph engines. The new 775cc speed triple motor. I guess that's the story behind the switch to a larger capacity.

It stands to reason really that they need a new engine supplier now Honda no longer make the CBR600R.
    I'm gutted they are stopping the 600rr Dave.... had an RR5 and think actually best bike Honda ever made... for me it fits perfectly- balance weight build and gp design... next haslam race school day im going back on 600 as recommended by my instructor as suiting me better.

Oh as to your post on F1 - apparently the OP made it clear we are semi literate oafs and wants them mutually exclusive.... cant have scruffy oiks messing up the place...
    Despite watching since hunt days , driving goodwood at 8 year's old...taking ARDS we know nowt as apparently "F1 and GP are totally different sports"and he doesnt want them compared....and 99% of replies support him, could have been much ruder as he was insulting than i was on there but took the higher ground....

Was so tempted to reply to you but will contain myself here... you go on being a rebel ...I'll read your posts
    they dont like it up 'em pike!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you truly are the bigger guy, you let it be.

Moto GP is at a high and does not deserve mention of the F1-topic drama in the posts.

I suggest you open a second 2017 season thread without the gripes.
    Let us celebrate that Rossi will continue to be part of this show with a younger, faster and equally wild team mate in a battle with the smoothest rider on a Ducati and the most talented one on a Honda.
    Yapping at their heels will be a pack of very fast blokes, five of which won a GP1 race last year.

Please open a new 2017 thread oozing THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I'm gutted they are stopping the 600rr Dave.... had an RR5 and think actually best bike Honda ever made... for me it fits perfectly- balance weight build and gp design... next haslam race school day im going back on 600 as recommended by my instructor as suiting me better.

Oh as to your post on F1 - apparently the OP made it clear we are semi literate oafs and wants them mutually exclusive.... cant have scruffy oiks messing up the place...
    Despite watching since hunt days , driving goodwood at 8 year's old...taking ARDS we know nowt as apparently "F1 and GP are totally different sports"and he doesnt want them compared....and 99% of replies support him, could have been much ruder as he was insulting than i was on there but took the higher ground....

Was so tempted to reply to you but will contain myself here... you go on being a rebel ...I'll read your posts
    they dont like it up 'em pike!!
    I agree re the 600s, my favourite track bike was my zx6r b1h. It was so much more involving than any of the bigger bikes I rode on track (R1, 916,RSV, Zx9r).

I also rode the Daytona 675 although not on the track and felt the slightly larger triple was probably the equal of a 600 four (or 636 in my case). I don't think we'll see a massive difference with the new engine TBH.

With regards the F1 thread, it was a little uncalled for and you were certainly restrained in your comments. I'll say no more about F1 here but I do remember a time when GPs were going through the doldrums and the race series to watch was WSB.

Even with three brits at the top last year it can't compare with the days of Foggy, Corser et al. But that's a different topic!

Craftsman
    I do miss the days of Foggy, Russell, Pollen, Slight and Co. used to get up in the middle of the night to watch the races in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    If you truly are the bigger guy, you let it be.

Moto GP is at a high and does not deserve mention of the F1-topic drama in the posts.

I suggest you open a second 2017 season thread without the gripes.
    Let us celebrate that Rossi will continue to be part of this show with a younger, faster and equally wild team mate in a battle with the smoothest rider on a Ducati and the most talented one on a Honda.
    Yapping at their heels will be a pack of very fast blokes, five of which won a GP1 race last year.

Please open a new 2017 thread oozing THAT.
    Thanks H, I thought I would try to be on higher ground and not actually become what the little biker circle is expected to be.I know I wasn't named personally but as started last 2 and had made very tongue in cheek comments did think it under the belt and personal.

But no it's fine, guys here have been supportive and even seen a couple of posts not agreeing back there on the dark side Also had a couple of really nice PM's too which I really appreciate....

no need for a new thread this will do fine it's filling up nicely with fun talk....
    2 more years of Rossi,whether you are a full bore yellow blooded fan or not he's Mr. Moto GP and will be a less colourful place in all senses when he does retire.....
    Vinales is looking very omninous as we knew he would be...really really grown into a fully fledged to be sure.......
    marquez just astonishes...love that Colin Edwards can't speak when watching him ride...

also loved reading last year that the guy Christian Bale would love to be (this is Batman ferrchrissakes) is Marc... he just does things on a bike that aren't possible for anyone else....

I agree re the 600s, my favourite track bike was my zx6r b1h. It was so much more involving than any of the bigger bikes I rode on track (R1, 916,RSV, Zx9r).

I also rode the Daytona 675 although not on the track and felt the slightly larger triple was probably the equal of a 600 four (or 636 in my case). I don't think we'll see a massive difference with the new engine TBH.

With regards the F1 thread, it was a little uncalled for and you were certainly restrained in your comments. I'll say no more about F1 here but I do remember a time when GPs were going through the doldrums and the race series to watch was WSB.

Even with three brits at the top last year it can't compare with the days of Foggy, Corser et al. But that's a different topic!
    I used the blade at Haslam's school, ( I know I've bored everyone stupid with this before but I got riding tips before going out from Leon, my instructor is one of the Haslam's oldest friends and had just come back from off roading in Spain with Jorge..... and while out on track had both Leon and Alex Lowe's hooning past me which was epic to watch and try and follow into Redgate.... sorry if you've got deja vu or fallen asleep!

but that's why SBK and BSB I'm sad about as they showed me how ridiculously quick and talented they are and should be exciting to watch and its lost something....

the blade was great but my read outs on the laptop showed a 6 i would have had to "ride" so much more really using the gears rather than relying on outright power and torque.....

by the way Dave, you're in East Sussex, I was in Brighton 24 years, probably bumped into you somewhere or know people you do!!
    Last edited by lordloz; 13th January 2017 at 20:30.

by the way Dave, you're in East Sussex, I was in Brighton 24 years, probably bumped into you somewhere or know people you do!!
    I've only been here since 2008. Before that I was off-road motorcycling in Spain for a couple of years after living in Manchester for the previous twenty odd!

Master
    I do miss the days of Foggy, Russell, Pollen, Slight and Co. used to get up in the middle of the night to watch the races in Japan.
    Funnily enough I was YouTubeing some epic Baylis, Haga, Xaus battles last night..... great stuff.

Craftsman
    With all the talk of changing engine sizes in Moto GP class, WHY-o-WHY don't they just bring back 2 strokes and show real talent. No slipper clutches and fancy electronics and the like

With all the talk of changing engine sizes in Moto GP class, WHY-o-WHY don't they just bring back 2 strokes and show real talent. No slipper clutches and fancy electronics and the like
    Sadly there are many people who agree but will never happen... the green and climate change lobby have sounded death knell for 2c and so manufacturers are commited to building 4c engines and thats before they die off for electric, hydrogen etc.. ... sadly, when listening to the Motor Show on TalkRadio today a correspondent on there said its possible that children born now (more likely in 10 years really at least if it happens) won't ever have or need a driving licence as transport will be driverless... thats a dismal prediction really for us petrol heads..... a tech boss building a car called a Faraday also interviewed & said he's not a fan of driving...wants to sit in back and have a massage and watch DVDs... again how sad such people are actually designing & building vehicles.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

I've only been here since 2008. Before that I was off-road motorcycling in Spain for a couple of years after living in Manchester for the previous twenty odd!
    only been here 4 years so may have crossed over...

I may post this in the TV series thread too and not Moto GP but filling in nicely is Ride With Norman Reedus

it's Darryl from the Walking Dead series of road trips, he seems to be a real petrolhead biker and maybe why they gave him one as transport in the series.....

but he also comes across as pretty decent, humble down to earth and some fun road trips and characters he meets on the way....and some of the landscapes are just jaw dropping... what a great way to work...

http://www.amc.com/shows/ride-with-norman-reedus
    Last edited by lordloz; 23rd January 2017 at 22:55.

some fight back from Ducati against the winglets ban
    (whether right or wrong as safe or not they were so damn ugly they were right to ban them IMHO)

is this bonkers jet exhaust system patent...

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ts-jet-exhaust

and this new "salad box" as it's being called arrangement as private tests start hints that could be where their focus is...

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/238...st-starts.html

arguably it could be better focused on getting the thing to turn quicker, etc. as power it does not lack...

Maverick after Sepang tests will probably not be Vale's bestie anymore..... very very quick and no surprise there....

came across this really nice article in the NY Times on Marc....

amazing really.... I know post the clash with Rossi a lot of the yellow army don't like him... but he's amazing to watch and an incredible talent who defies the laws of physics....

that he's so grounded he still sleeps in his old family room and not in a swish Monaco pad..(yet) does help explain I think why nothing bothers him... a little like Rossi he still has his friends and team who have grown up with him...

that his family weren't at all wealthy, gave up a lot and even became unemployed

unlike how F1 drivers have to be now to get to top
    (has been the case for a long time) and to be fair many other riders are either racing royalty or wealthy (Rossi/Gibernau)... Abraham - nice guy but getting ride over Lavertey just because of his father??

and he has still managed to break through and that strong background certainly seems to help him in difficult times...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/s...tionfront&_r=0

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Maverick after Sepang tests will probably not be Vale's bestie anymore..... very very quick and no surprise there....

came across this really nice article in the NY Times on Marc....

amazing really.... I know post the clash with Rossi a lot of the yellow army don't like him... but he's amazing to watch and an incredible talent who defies the laws of physics....

that he's so grounded he still sleeps in his old family room and not in a swish Monaco pad..(yet) does help explain I think why nothing bothers him... a little like Rossi he still has his friends and team who have grown up with him...

that his family weren't at all wealthy, gave up a lot and even became unemployed

unlike how F1 drivers have to be now to get to top
    (has been the case for a long time) and to be fair many other riders are either racing royalty or wealthy (Rossi/Gibernau)... Abraham - nice guy but getting ride over Lavertey just because of his father??

and he has still managed to break through and that strong background certainly seems to help him in difficult times...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/s...tionfront&_r=0
    You are grossly unfair to motorcycle racing. The vast majority of riders is from none too well of working class origins.
    Look at Casey Stoner; his parents lived in a caravan for years so their son could race.
    Look at Lorenzo who had a quite dismal time with his parents when growing up.
    Rossi is hardly racing royalty. His dad was a popular guy but apart from that an also ran who divorced from Valentinos mom at a very young age. Rossi totally got from a single mother in a council flat to superstar on his own talent. It is thanks to Ivano Beggio that he was given bikes to develop his talent on.
    Etcetera.

What you think great about Marquez is rather typical Spanish young man behavior: Living with the parents till they are physically removed. Many a Spanish woman will tell you that typically Spanish boys are spoiled rotten into immature grown up men with the emotional intelligence of a 7 y.o. that will still go eat at moms when 35 and married.

I'm hardly being unfair or critical H at all, that wasnt the point & i was being ever so slightly tongue in cheek...maybe English humour didnt translate to the screen well..... i know full well majority of bike racers are ordinary families my contrast was more with F1 to be honest... a bit harsh response IMO old boy... :D :D

Last edited by lordloz; 8th February 2017 at 14:03.

anyone out there?

I sort of seem to be talking to myself at the moment...it's still early season I know and hasn't started but I'll keep posting....

Todays test results from OZ....

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/240...s-marquez.html

VR friendship with Mav will be very brief.... he's posted some brilliant times...Rossi not too chuffed....

an promising probably epic talent....young and fast and ambitious...just like Marc..... oh dear........

MM following him getting tech analysis and can see M1 strengths so that's sparking nicely already and is a powder keg....

Gypsy Rose Loz predicts this could be the next Sheene V Roberts, Rainey V Gardener etc. big rivalry...

oh boy...what a brilliant decade of competition we are in for.....

Thanks for posting that. I usually don't follow much of the preseason, but try and see every race at least once, and will be doing Aragon as a minimum again this year.

It does look like an interesting season is ahead.

Master
    Please do keep posting as I enjoy your updates. Cannot wait for the season to start - I feel this year may well be a cracker.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    - I feel this year may well be a cracker.
    Would be the THIRD in a row.

Rossi will be there. Little doubt about it.
    Not so sure about Lorenzo. I mean, Vinales had to adapt to a way different bikeand hops over Rossi who beat Lorenzo on that bike while Lorenzo cannot keep up with Dovi.

The biggest surprise of all however was imo Folger.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Please do keep posting as I enjoy your updates. Cannot wait for the season to start - I feel this year may well be a cracker.
    Thanks for posting that. I usually don't follow much of the preseason, but try and see every race at least once, and will be doing Aragon as a minimum again this year.

It does look like an interesting season is ahead.
    Thanks to you both I did think I was the tree making a noise or not falling in the forest with no one around for a while!

Anyways thanks I will keep posting..there are some interesting snippets keep coming through its a shame BT are putting prices up again yet not showing more testing since Valencia...

considering the stuff they put on in early hours is pretty lame - US sports and interviewing say baseball coaches most have never heard of....
    they have 3 channels they could broadcast on - they tell me there will be more cricket and football as if that's good for me...
    i can't personally stand either and if I'm paying more I want more information and coverage of motorcycle sports.

Keep on feeding your thread mate, you're read! (Look on your computer screen if you don't believe me )
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'm hoping it's a good year with close racing, I'm heading back to the Catalunya race, which was great last year. This year I'll have a better feel for catching the action and should get a few more good pictures.

I'm looking forward to the season too and whilst I only catch the highlights show, I'll be contributing wherever I can.

All present and correct Lorenz

I've been keeping tabs (now and then) on testing. Vinales is truly going to put the cat amongst the pigeons isn't he. VR (once he gets his act together), and MM will no doubt be thereabouts in 2017 too......but JL seems to be struggling so far. You'd think that, by now, Ducati could make a bike that suited someone other than Stoner!

I'm not up to speed with what anyone else has been doing :-/

Anyway, keep posting. I'll get into it once things kick off in earnest :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Keep on feeding your thread mate, you're read! (Look on your computer screen if you don't believe me )
    Ha ha thanks SJ and everyone else actually ! :smilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    I'm hoping it's a good year with close racing, I'm heading back to the Catalunya race, which was great last year. This year I'll have a better feel for catching the action and should get a few more good pictures.

Nice shot Roy - enjoy Catalunya

I'm looking forward to the season too and whilst I only catch the highlights show, I'll be contributing wherever I can.
    Dave ... bad news.. ITV4 are not signed up for highlights this year....

Oh yes... Mav will indeed live up to his name i think and be ruffling feathers...shortest friendship in GP history with him and Rossi when it starts...

Dave ... bad news.. ITV4 are not signed up for highlights this year....

Yet - there is always hope.

Oh yes... Mav will indeed live up to his name i think and be ruffling feathers...shortest friendship in GP history with him and Rossi when it starts...

I think Rossi will be a lot more civil than he was in the early Lorenzo days, plus he will have full access to Lorenzo's old data and Mav's - so it could all add up to a great year of racing all round, both within each team and overall.

Nice shot Roy - enjoy Catalunya

Cheers, will do

Yet - there is always hope.

I think Rossi will be a lot more civil than he was in the early Lorenzo days, plus he will have full access to Lorenzo's old data and Mav's - so it could all add up to a great year of racing all round, both within each team and overall.
    think you're right on both counts - Rossi is going to win it if he can... I don't think he will be quite the same post Sepang and will be looking to the future after GP managing Team Sky...

Craftsman
    As others have said keep posting please, I'm reading. After going to Catalunya last year, I fancy another race weekend but can't decide which to go to. My son will be 18 in a couple of weeks, so we can sample some beers together wherever it is we end up. Any recommendations for a good MotoGP weekend on mainland Europe. Considered Germany, Holland and France, but to be honest the thought that the weekend might be heavily affected by rain put me off Holland & Germany. Roll on the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Spanish races are good, and usually warm. We loved Misano too, and had a day riding, up to San Marino and the surrounding countryside.

You can get a beer under 18 in most countries on the continent. I know, too late now anyway
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.