closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the right price for a steak?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    30oz rump £20!! Bargain!!

Nope, 32oz is £12.99 and it's actually the 50oz for £19.99 at a second glance!

I've tackled a 32oz before now and cleared the plate, but that's not enjoyable eating, it's just a challenge!
    For a decent steak, something like a 12oz rib-eye, I'm happy at £20-£25. I think that's about standard in a reasonable restaurant.

We went out the other night to a Frankie & Benny's and it was £14 for a burger - almost the same as the steak. I do object to paying that for a meat patty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Nope, 32oz is £12.99 and it's actually the 50oz for £19.99 at a second glance!

I've tackled a 32oz before now and cleared the plate, but that's not enjoyable eating, it's just a challenge!
    For a decent steak, something like a 12oz rib-eye, I'm happy at £20-£25. I think that's about standard in a reasonable restaurant.

We went out the other night to a Frankie & Benny's and it was £14 for a burger - almost the same as the steak. I do object to paying that for a meat patty.
    50oz!! Where is this place anyway? Might take the Mrs for a weekend of meat eating that's lunch dessert and a bit of afters

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Always had a good feed here:
    http://rythrearms.co.uk/menu/
    Round are parts Jon ya can't beat it ,Last time I went was a few years ago and I had surf and turf ,I think it was a ribeye 16 oz ,I'd like to see the 72 ,I think it's special order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Round are parts Jon ya can't beat it ,Last time I went was a few years ago and I had surf and turf ,I think it was a ribeye 16 oz ,I'd like to see the 72 ,I think it's special order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah the Rythre Arms, it's over 6 years since I went there. I must go back. It's been well regarded for decent meat since the 70's!

Best steak l ever had was in Texas - turns out theyre good at something! ;)

As for price:- well lve returned some very expensive steaks and happily devoured some cheap but delicious ones...

Probably the best steak I have ever had, and I have had a few

http://www.macellaiorc.com

Probably low-mid teens for a decent pub effort, mid-high twenties for a more high end joint. Price of course being no indication of quality as others have said.

If anyone fancies a decent bit of background on the best steaks, watch Steak Revolution on Netflix. Brilliant, and it turns out that Wagyu ain't the best...(!)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    You're not just paying for the steak though, I wouldn't go in to a wetherspoons let alone eat there! For a good steak I'd expect to pay £35+, £50+ for a fillet. Matched with a good strong red of course.
    Snob.

Some Weatherspoons are excellent, I use them frequently and I'm rarely disappointed. The quality of the food, wine and beer meets my expectations.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Always had a good feed here:
    http://rythrearms.co.uk/menu/
    Haven't eaten there for years, but I remember it was good! Not sure I could find it thesedays

Paul

Master
    Please don't shoot me, but...
    If you are ever in Sicily, preferably Catania, try horse meat filet steak. Less than 20 euros for a massive steak and a flavour and texture you'll never forget.
    In London Santa Maria del Sur is also worth a visit.
    I also remember in Birmingham, just after the 5 ways roundabout, not sure if that's the correct name, going away from the city centre, there was a lovely steak house.
    The most expensive steak I've ever eaten was in New York. Wife and I paid 350 usd for 2 starters and 2 steaks without alcoholic drinks... horrible steak and ridiculous prices. Never again, just Wendy's next time (baconator! mmmmm!)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Haven't eaten there for years, but I remember it was good! Not sure I could find it thesedays

Paul

i notice a few tz-ers have been there, maybe we should all meet up and share a 72oz!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I paid £6 for the best steak I've ever eaten in Argentina a couple of years ago. I can't bring myself to eat steak here anymore!

Try Gaucho's ??

One if not my favourite restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Argentinian steak is indeed truly fantastic.
    I'd go along with that, although Uruguayan gives it a good run for the money. Particularly in the Port Market in Montevideo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'd go along with that, although Uruguayan gives it a good run for the money. Particularly in the Port Market in Montevideo.

I was there in '97 and the steak I had was amazing. Was actually thinking about it the other day and wondering if I'll ever manage to go back. As a slight aside one of the worst beers I've had was there, called "Double Uruguay"

Did anyone see the hour-long chef specials earlier this year, forget which channel it was on. Six different chefs went to different countries, great series and the one with John Torodes in Argentina was fantastic. He's an Aussie who loves the old barbie, yet was amazed by the way they cook their beef there. He stopped for fuel at a garage and saw there was a big fire round the back, with some humongous steaks and sides of beef being cooked.
    I slavered constantly throughout that one...

I saw it. Impressive. I'd really like to try one of those steaks.

I've been to Argentina a lot with work. Never had a great steak. Some OK ones, but mostly over cooked and not hung well. They don't really do rare. No matter how "bien jugoso" you ask for your meat to be cooked it will always come back brown all the way through.

Slabs of beef slow cooked on the parrilla was always fantastic though.

You will get a far better "ARgentinian" steak in London than you will in Buenos Aires.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I've been to Argentina a lot with work. Never had a great steak. Some OK ones, but mostly over cooked and not hung well. They don't really do rare. No matter how "bien jugoso" you ask for your meat to be cooked it will always come back brown all the way through.

You will get a far better "ARgentinian" steak in London than you will in Buenos Aires.
    Have you tried asking for your steak vuelta y vuelta or poco cocido? The first of those links agrees with you in that "Jugoso: Officially this means medium-rare in Argentina, but it tends to be more on the medium side for most parrilleros (the grill chefs)."

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    You're not just paying for the steak though, I wouldn't go in to a wetherspoons let alone eat there! For a good steak I'd expect to pay £35+, £50+ for a fillet. Matched with a good strong red of course.
    You're the one missing out. And I'm sure that some of the £50+ restaurants are laughing all the way to the bank.

(Disclaimer: I ate in our local Wetherspoons last night. Not steak, but chicken, and my vegetarian wife had a burrito. Along with 2 pints of very good quality and well kept beer, the total bill was £15. Food was perfectly acceptable, service was very friendly and surroundings were fine - Wetherspoons own some fabulous buildings, and maintain them really well.)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Snob.

Paul
    Yep, comfortable with that! As an aside I also used to frequent weatherspoons...but not since I was 23.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

My niece lives in Spain and is married to an Argentinian, when he and his mates have a barbeque its just massive lumps of very slow overcooked meat, no vegetables at all, they also have mass barbeques in the public parks,

Steak prices.

Miller and Carter in Lakeside was vert good . Had a 30oz Tomahawk for £50 and thoroughlly enjoyed it and uber fussy being a fryer and having a wife that's an excellent cook . Most steaks were £20-£25 . Cocktails and sides were amazing and service was excellent . Highly recommended .

Best stake I've ever had was in the Wynn in Vegas , SW steakhouse - about $200-250 for 2 . Only downside is it has made every other steak pale in comparison ,as most have said after having an amazing one .
    Last edited by MrPoseidon; 1st December 2016 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just comes down to steak with or without KY? just bought a very decent ribeye in Morrisons for £3.50 English beef and freshly slaughtered so what price to a major food chain?
    Also about the location, reputation and the expectation of the diner and sorry but Wetherspoons who are a decent pub chain are OK but they are not a 5* eatery either so the old chestnut you pays your money and takes your chances.
    Supermarket meat is bobbins. As for freshly slaughtered that's even worse - meat should be hung to mature.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Supermarket meat is bobbins. As for freshly slaughtered that's even worse - meat should be hung to mature.
    Many cultures prefer fresh to aged.

Best I have had was at L'Atelier in Vegas. About $7 per oz, and they bring a huge slab of Ribeye and let you tell them how big you want the steak. Nothing has ever come close - including gaucho et al.

Second best being at an Argentinian Estancia, where all sorts of meat was cooked on an open fire...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Master
    Usually buy taste the difference from Sainsbury's as that seems to be the best from the main supermarkets.
    My wife use to ruin steak but some years ago she got some advice/tips and now she cooks a great steak.