closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Guardian article on Luxury watches

Guardian article on Luxury watches

Saved for the three times a week someone asks why I don't just look at my iPhone when I need to know the time.

Craftsman
    Thank you!

Master
    Interesting article. Thank you.

Master
    Thank you, an interesting read.

Master
    Funny to see an article about luxury watches in The Guardian of all places, with only the bare minimum of references to ostentation and 'symphonies of the unnecessary' - I rather like that one. Presumably Seamus Milne was unavailable for comment...

Nice to hear that Calatravas and Aquanauts start at 'about £5000' though - I will be taking article straight to the boutique as proof.

Craftsman
    An enjoyable read. The reader comments at the end of the article were quite amusing too...

Craftsman
    Just read it on the app.Fairly interesting article .

Thanks for posting that, an enjoyable read that I wouldn't have found myself.

Blog Entries
    A very enjoyable read - thank you.

I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks.

Master
    nice one

Master
    I started to read it but but got bored (short attention span) - if its worthwhile, I may give it another go!

Master
    Good read.

Thank you.

scooter

What a great read, more balanced but insightful than many similar articles, and very well written IMHO.

I wonder what happened to all those jellyfish? Jellyfish skin strap anyone?

Yes I wondered about the fate of the jellyfish too.

Bit long and flowery, but interesting none the less

Journeyman
    interesting read, Thank you.

The comments section below is also a good read too...

Craftsman
    Prevaricating but interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Interesting article - thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Nothing new, but very interesting indeed.

Master
    "and some brands were selling watches covered in jewels:*symphonies of the unnecessary, such as the Harry Winston Premier Moon Phase 36mm, with mother of pearl and 104 brilliant-cut diamonds."
    Amusing excerpt.
    It's an interesting article that seems to both bemoan and accept the excess and the appeal of watches. I, myself, am both seduced and dismayed by watch collecting so it probably sums up my own conflicts about the hobby.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Nice. Thanks

Banned
    Here we may find the revered Swiss company’s entire current Patek collection.

Doubt it, not a Nautilus to be seen.

I've had a few coffee's down in the viewing room, also in the service center down in the basement, I was offered a tour of the workshop but I declined.

He does proffer up a visual masterpiece, but my speciality is tone lowering, dressed in tee shirt shorts and deck shoes with my trusty Lidl bag.

Quite enjoyable even with some mild spluttering over the megalomaniacs wearing some very expensive watches that doesn't fit with the usual approach by the Guardian.....
    One picky point .....

I thought Rolex was also independent though being owned by the family trust - much larger than PP of course but I'm fairly sure still not a conglomerate...

Guardian article on Luxury watches

Nobody owns Rolex. They are just held in trust for the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I thought Rolex was also independent though being owned by the family trust - much larger than PP of course but I'm fairly sure still not a conglomerate...

Must be nice for all you Daily Mail readers to read some proper journalism for a change.

Journeyman
    Enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing.

'... so the answers to these questions lie within our propensity for extreme fantasy, our consumption of dazzling marketing, our unbridled and shameless capacity for ostentation, and our renewed reverence for craftsmanship in a digital world'

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Master
    Human beings like objects; men like complex , mechanical objects. And they will pay for them.
    I see it as centuries of design and engineering, all on my wrist. What's wrong with that. And, added bonus, it tells the time rather well.
    The Guardian can be quite an entertaining read.

"These days, no one requires a Swiss watch to tell the time – or a watch from any country. The time displayed on our mobile phones and other digital devices will always be more accurate..."

The idea that the time displayed on our phones, tablets, etc. renders wristwatches redundant is all-pervasive - yet it's just not true.

At work, I and all my colleagues are constantly checking the time (we operate pleasure boats on Windermere, to a tight timetable).

All the young seasonal workers who start with us every summer are from the post-watch generation. None have wristwatches, all use their phones to check the time - to start with.

Inevitably, by the end of the season every single one of them will have got themselves a watch (usually an F-91w).

The fact is, a quick glance at your wrist is always much more convenient than constantly getting your phone out. The added drama of a dropped phone ending up at the lake bottom means a wristwatch makes even more sense.

The superior utility of a watch means there will always be a market for them, from a purely practical viewpoint - nothing to do with art, bling, status or whatever.

It defeats me why this aspect of watch ownership is so routinely missed.

Master
    A very enjoyable read, thanks for posting this Passenger. It prompted me to buy the author's book too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal View Post
    "These days, no one requires a Swiss watch to tell the time – or a watch from any country. The time displayed on our mobile phones and other digital devices will always be more accurate..."

The idea that the time displayed on our phones, tablets, etc. renders wristwatches redundant is all-pervasive - yet it's just not true.

At work, I and all my colleagues are constantly checking the time (we operate pleasure boats on Windermere, to a tight timetable).

All the young seasonal workers who start with us every summer are from the post-watch generation. None have wristwatches, all use their phones to check the time - to start with.

Inevitably, by the end of the season every single one of them will have got themselves a watch (usually an F-91w).

The fact is, a quick glance at your wrist is always much more convenient than constantly getting your phone out. The added drama of a dropped phone ending up at the lake bottom means a wristwatch makes even more sense.

The superior utility of a watch means there will always be a market for them, from a purely practical viewpoint - nothing to do with art, bling, status or whatever.

It defeats me why this aspect of watch ownership is so routinely missed.
    Spot on. A watch is just more convenient, far quicker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Spot on. A watch is just more convenient, far quicker.
    Even more importantly, it's cooler.... ;-)

Interesting stuff. I've never subscribed to the ostentatious/ego argument. Most of my watches are unrecognized as good pieces by almost everyone I know. I occasionally get someone say something on a train who turns out to be another enthusiast. I enjoy that, but I enjoy the shared experience, not some ridiculous idea that we are two fancy gentlemen in a world of philistines. So I'm not doing it for any egotistical reasons other than arguably how I feel in myself when I'm wearing one I really like. But that could easily be a beater that I happen to rate or got for £80 when I know it's worth £500. Doesn't have to be one of my fancy ones.

Yes, I could use my phone but equally I could use a stainless steel clothes rack rather than a wardrobe. Life would be pretty dull if the utility of objects was their only worthy consideration.