closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Patek ??

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Can't stand the look of the 5712, it's an abomination. If you want a Nautilus with complications, and as much as I despise the useless, oversized 24 hour sub-dial, I'd have to suggest the 5726.
    Unfortunately, no blue dial option (yet) but the grey is hardly an eyesore.
    Blimey...I know we all have differing tastes, but the 5712 is hardly an abomination. It is a watch that either you get or you don't. I think it is beautifully unbalanced, whereas the 5711 is beautifully balanced. But I didn't fully appreciate the beauty of either until I saw them with my own eyes.

I don't particularly like a 31 day date wheel - the date window is so much more elegant a solution. I don't like power reserves on dial either - so even though I like some elements of the 5712, the 5711 is so much more me. The 5980 is very nice, but maybe a little thick for what I'd want in a Patek.

I would like a 5370P though :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I don't particularly like a 31 day date wheel - the date window is so much more elegant a solution. I don't like power reserves on dial either - so even though I like some elements of the 5712, the 5711 is so much more me. The 5980 is very nice, but maybe a little thick for what I'd want in a Patek.

I would like a 5370P though :)
    I love the 5370p too. I'd be happy with the much cheaper 5170g also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I love the 5370p too. I'd be happy with the much cheaper 5170g also.

Yeah. Me too. Love the grail one upmanship

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Well if we are talking about watches that are out of my league, then it may as well be around £200k as £50k ;)

So how about either a 5959P, or oven a 5002P!? :)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 17th June 2016 at 23:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well if we are talking about watches that are out of my league, then it may as well be around £200k as £50k ;)

So how about either a 5959P, or oven a 500P!? :)
    I had to google that. I prefer the 5370 ;-)

Me too to be honest, it's one of my favorite Pateks ever.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Blimey...I know we all have differing tastes, but the 5712 is hardly an abomination. It is a watch that either you get or you don't. I think it is beautifully unbalanced, whereas the 5711 is beautifully balanced. But I didn't fully appreciate the beauty of either until I saw them with my own eyes.
    Ah…well you see, it’s your wonky eye that’s to blame.
    If it was looking at it, rather than for it, you’d see I’m right.
    Don’t worry, it’s not the only model affected by poor design aesthetics – there are other ginger step-children too, to keep it company.

If it was looking at it, rather than for it, you’d see I’m right.
    No, still can't concede that you are right...

The 5712 dial design, in particular the layout is a bit of a dog's dinner IMHO. Clearly some people like it - each to their own. The rear view of the movement is perhaps the best aspect of the watch.

This is the way I see it.
    Both watches tel us that it is the 18th and after 11, both watches tell the seconds past the hour differently (no big deal)

The 12 has a power reserve indicator which is completely pointless, really, what use is it?
    the 12 has a cool aM/PM indicator, but when have you actually NOT known if it is night or day?

For me the 12 does not do anything of any use that the 11 does, but the 11 does it more beautifully with less fuss.
    Edit, and I don't really like the wording just stuck in where there was room.

I like the design of the 5726 but have no intention of taking a watch out of my box and setting the time/date/daytime/night time/day/and month before I can strap it on.
    And no I'd not put it on a winder.
    https://www.patek.com/en/mens-watche...us/5726-1A-001
    Last edited by watchlovr; 18th June 2016 at 16:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A 5980 popped up on my instagram feed (watchxchange are listing one) and it reminded me that I'm surprised its name doesn't get mentioned more often in these discussions. The Patek style of chrono is attractive in itself, and suits the case/dial

That's probably because the 5980 or more recently 5990 is in a completely different price range tbh. If they were priced similarly to the 5712 I would take the 5990 all day long but the chronographs are much more expensive and frankly they r in a different ball game all together.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    ...the 12 has a cool aM/PM indicator, but when have you actually NOT known if it is night or day?
    Err…that’s a moonphase complicaton within the date sub-dial, not a Day/Night indicator.

Err…that’s a moonphase complicaton within the date sub-dial, not a Day/Night indicator.
    And what does it signify?

Edit, just found out.......even more useless then day/night. Something which might help farmers or fishermen, who obviously wear PP's all the time.
    An even more pointless "complication", stupid stupid stupid.
    Last edited by watchlovr; 18th June 2016 at 17:12.

Set it to sync with the menstrual cycle of the significant female in your life (far more useful), if you want to know what the moon is doing just check out the night sky

Edit, just found out.......even more useless then day/night. Something which might help farmers or fishermen, who obviously wear PP's all the time.
    And you call yourself 'watchlovr'?

Classic.

Out of interest, which complications do you consider useful?

Incredible.

Wow... just wow...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Out of interest, which complications do you consider useful?
    I like the time complication, it's really useful for telling what the time is if you've left your Vertu mobile elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Set it to sync with the menstrual cycle of the significant female in your life (far more useful), if you want to know what the moon is doing just check out the night sky
    You've forgotten the joys of unbroken cloud cover, week after week.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    And you call yourself 'watchlovr'?

Classic.
    Good grief I thought he was just being sarcastic

Go on then chaps, what use is a moonphase?

I use the moon phase so I know what tides we are on springs or neaps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the Islamic calendar runs on lunar months, the moonphase tells you whereabouts you are in the month. Admittedly, this use is only relevant for a quarter of the world's population.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    the Islamic calendar runs on lunar months, the moonphase tells you whereabouts you are in the month. Admittedly, this use is only relevant for a quarter of the world's population.
    I did not know that, so more useful for that purpose than the date function?
    Last edited by watchlovr; 18th June 2016 at 21:24. Reason: Spelling

I use the moon phase to know when it's a full moon and the nutters are out..................Oh dear must be nearly a full moon LOL
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 19th June 2016 at 08:23. Reason: spelling

I did not know that, so more useful for that purpose than the date function?
    Depends if you know what the date of the new moon is. I don't think I've ever known that. But then, I wouldn't, would I?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I use to the moon phase to know when it's a full moon and the nutters are out..................Oh dear must be nearly a full moon LOL
    I find TZ a much better indicator for that.

^^^
    good point

You could use a moonphase to plan whether or not to go stargazing. or to plan whether to go for a walk at night. The reality of course is that in the internet/iPhone age it's as functionally redundant as anything else on a watch, including the time function. Some of us think it's visually appealing and can appreciate it just for that. You have some lovely watches. The 5980 in particular is a favourite but you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to use that for timing something rather than your phone. Aesthetically though, it works.

The main use of a moo phase has nothing to do with the moon, and no use at all if you are single.

Sent from the helm of NCC1701-D using LCARS.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Sorry chaps, I think I was just amazed to find out it was a function that I thought fairly useless when it was actually completed pointless.

I can't see me buying one but at least watch with time, date, day, month would be of use.
    Moonphase, power indicator, nah, not for me.

Things which have a function please me, pointless things seem to annoy me, including pointless decoration inside and outside buildings.
    The moonphase thing must have lit the touch paper

^^^ It's not just about function though, is it? If it was, you wouldn't spend £27 on a watch, let alone £27,000. As an aside, I'd argue that some of the features you cite as having useful function are every bit as redundant as the moonphase - maybe more so. Does anyone not know what day or month it is? I hope not.

And lets not forget, the actual skill of the watchmaker, who makes and fits the complication into the watch in the first place.

Some may argue, what is the point of having a Tourbillion or Minute Repeater - to name just 2 complications, that have very little use in todays world. But none will argue of the complexity and skill required to build them
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 19th June 2016 at 08:31. Reason: Added a piece

Wow I love this, so I now realise the £20k I spent on my watch was a waste of money even though I wanted to know the moon phase and how much power it's got left in it.
    Oh well worked all my life left school with no qualifications, managed to start and run my own business and make enough money to spend on a watch I have wanted since being a teenager.
    Let me go and throw my PP in the bin and get out one of my G Shocks as that has no useless information on it I.e. Tide times, barometer, world time, gps radio reception, stopwatch, alarms,etc etc

I'm pleased to report folks, that according to my watch, it will be a full moon tomorrow...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    Wow I love this, so I now realise the £20k I spent on my watch was a waste of money...
    Let me go and throw my PP in the bin...
    There's really no need to consider throwing your watch away or think of it as a waste of money. As long as you enjoy your watch, that's all that matters

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    There's really no need to consider throwing your watch away or think of it as a waste of money. As long as you enjoy your watch, that's all that matters
    It's kind of you to lie but you know that's not true.

BIN THE PP!!!!

Master
    I'm pleased to report folks, that according to my watch, it will be a full moon tomorrow...

But how can you tell that from a watch?

It's beautiful. It's a classical horological complication.

What use is a water resistance of 3900m? None, but it's engineering brilliance. What use is the X-33s mission timer? None, but it's cool.

If you don't see the purpose of classical horological complications, fair enough. But 'go on then chap' what what is the point of you setting forth on what Patek someone should buy when you have zero appreciation of classical complications?

Each to their own, but to not even know what one is makes you appear really, really poorly informed.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It's beautiful. It's a classical horological complication.

What use is a water resistance of 3900m? None, but it's engineering brilliance. What use is the X-33s mission timer? None, but it's cool.

If you don't see the purpose of classical horological complications, fair enough. But 'go on then chap' what what is the point of you setting forth on what Patek someone should buy when you have zero appreciation of classical complications?

Each to their own, but to not even know what one is makes you appear really, really poorly informed.
    +1 to all - complications are a showmanship of watchmaking beyond the 'basics'. Most are defunct in today's world. Heck what's the point of mechanical watches in today's world if you apply that logic.

Nope I think you will find its full moon tonight

We're half-way through Ramadan - of course it's a full moon tonight!

Master

Look, stop all this talk about the moon. It's stupid times three. Apparently what we really need is a complication that tells us what day it is. The moon...what's the sodding moon ever done for us? Oh wait a minute...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Check the 5712 pictures over the next few weeks and see if your opinion changes. The 5712 is certainly visually very arresting. The more I have seen it the more it's grown on me...

I've been doing that over the past week and a bit, and I'm afraid to say that I still think it looks hideous. That dial just bugs me, I don't know why. I can't put my finger on it, but there you go.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I've been doing that over the past week and a bit, and I'm afraid to say that I still think it looks hideous. That dial just bugs me, I don't know why. I can't put my finger on it, but there you go.
    Well good on you for keeping on open mind and trying my idea. I like asymmetric dials like the Glashutte original panomaticlunar... The blue one is yum. But if they bug you, they bug you. I like square watches too, like reversos.

Variety is the spice of life

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Well good on you for keeping on open mind and trying my idea. I like asymmetric dials like the Glashutte original panomaticlunar... The blue one is yum. But if they bug you, they bug you. I like square watches too, like reversos.

Variety is the spice of life

It's not the asymmetry that bugs me; the Lange 1 is also asymmetrical, as are many Breguets, and I rather like them. There's just something about that Patek which I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    It is hideous - there is so much intrinsically wrong with the dial design.
    1. Patek Philippe Geneve writing off centre and placed in a space that looks odd.
    2. Two different sized sub dials in the lower half with different sized fonts. The day sub dial writing changes orientation in odd unbalanced locations. The sub dials lose a lot of the very attractive blue dial shading which is present on the dial. By comparison, the 5711 with its cleaner design shows the dial shading much better.
    3. Moon phase indicator in left hand large sub dial adds even more clutter.
    4. Upper half of dial contains power reserve indicator which is at the same level as the Patek Philippe Geneve lettering helping it to look even more unbalanced as the fonts are laid out in a different orientation.
    5. Main hour markers around out edge of dial are missing for certain hours - 4,5,7 o clock are missing. 8 o'clock is present but is a different size and layout and makes the outer dial look unbalanced. 6 o'clock hour marker is much smaller and does not match any other marker. Lume shots would show how odd it looks.
    6. All the sub dials have hands which look like they came from another watch as the hands have pointless tails which do not match the main hands.