closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Air bricks advice - how many do you need?

Craftsman

Air bricks advice - how many do you need?

Hi, I would appreciate some advice regarding air bricks. I currently have 6 at the front of the house and 3 at the back ot the house (1930s build).

Do I need all 6 at the front of the house -3 are at ground level and I am concerned about water/vermin entering the property. I was considering blocking 3 air vents

Since the area under the property is an open space, my thinking is the air flow from 3 air bricks would be sufficient to ventilate from the front.

Thanks.

Go for it! Them 1930s house builders knew nowt about building design.

I'm not a builder but I'd leave the air bricks alone. Start messing about with them and you might well get damp problems - what makes you think the house will suddenly flood or fill with mice? It has been ok for the last 80 years hasn't it?!

Master
    Depends entirely on how long you need to stay underwater.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    Do I need all 6 at the front of the house -3 are at ground level and I am concerned about water/vermin entering the property.
    Thanks.
    Are you aware of any previous flooding in your property? Or vermin coming in? If not as the house is close to being 100 years old I would leave well alone. I had to add air bricks to a property as the damp was quite bad. Lots of spores. Bricks helped clear it up.

I'd rather have too many than too little, regarding vermin etc, you can buy fine mesh screen to cover the air brick, but still allows it to vent, though you will have to brush them down from time to time, there very good at preventing bees / wasps making a home under the floor boards, as I found out a few years back.

Craftsman
    "If it ain't broke don't mend it"

Quote Originally Posted by coredriller View Post
    "If it ain't broke don't mend it"
    Quite.

If your floors are floorboards on timber joists, you need a surprising amount of ventilation to ward off problems.

Master
    Air bricks need to provide a free air space equivalent to 1,500mm2/m run of external wall (if you want to comply with building regs - which isn't a bad idea).

Master
    Air bricks. I'd never heard of them until this thread. Every day is a school day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have 4 or 5 for a fairly large bungalow and no rot or other issues so I am very much in the leave well alone camp.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Air bricks. I'd never heard of them until this thread. Every day is a school day.
    Tip: they aren't the same as air biscuits.

Master
    Leave as many as possible, insulate under the floors (if not done already) and fit mesh screens if you have any rodent worries.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Leave as many as possible, insulate under the floors (if not done already) and fit mesh screens if you have any rodent worries.
    I have galvanised 'butcher's safe' mesh on mine.

Craftsman
    If you don't have sufficient air flow you risk condensation forming on your joists/floorboards. This can cause rotting from the underside upwards which would be expensive to replace by the time you notice it.

I'd leave all the air bricks in place & simply mesh over if you feel rodents might be a problem.

Can also be a legal requirement ( there is a formula open area per cubic mtr ?? ) poor memory, VERY important if you have any gas appliances.

Master
    I think we're talking sub-floor vents here, not vents for combustion appliances.

Sometimes same thing, Appliances could be vented through floors into void, Then through outer walls, Supposed to reduce draughts!

Master
    PS where for art thou?
    Have you left the building?
    Or are you taking all your air bricks out?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    PS where for art thou?
    Have you left the building?
    Or are you taking all your air bricks out?
    I am still here!

I have decided to leave the airbricks as they are. Some properties in my area have three air bricks at the front compared with six on mine. Not sure the logic behind this. Whatever it is, I will stick with what I have.

Last year the space under the house got filled with water as there was a lot of surface water that entered my drive. I have decided to get something called a snorkelvent. This will keep the airbircks open as well prevent any water entering.

Thank you for the advice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've blocked all ours up