closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Top Gear.

Chris Harris doesn't have much TV 'presence'. I could help thinking how much better the original trio would have done with the same material.
    Who was the guy, barely articulate, who tested the hot hatches?

Master
    Really like Chris Harris although he did seem a little akward in the 'live' audience setting. Somthing a bit new for him I guess. Really liked his car review and his Youtube channel is the best car related thing out there. Given some time and he will get it, he really understands cars and has a passion that is pretty much unmatched.

Sabine is the worst thing for me, just annoying.

Chris and Matt I think will get there, hopefully Chris will listen to what is being said and calm down a bit. He doesnt need to shout all his lines/words. If he tones it down then I think he will be OK. MLB will also get there I think, likeable guy and funny.

All in all for me it has potential, if you rememebr the starting seasons of the new format TG took a while to find its feet. I think this will be the same, just needs to seetle downa bit and become its own show.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Sabine is the worst thing for me, just annoying.
    She is, but she's lively, enthusiastic and outspoken and arguably the most similar to the previous style.

Agree with the above comment that Harris didn't seem entirely comfortable in front of an audience but his piece was still the highlight of the show. Best episode of the series so far - the quality has improved with every one and I have high hopes for it.

Looking forward to seeing episode 3 later after hearing mostly good (i.e. much better) things about it.

Do agree that the BBC/the creative behind it should have bitten the bullet to really change the format rather than re-hash it.

With the exception of MLB and CE, (maybe CE for the wrong reasons) I found the new presenters pretty forgettable, like the Fifth Gear lot. Obviously Sabine can drive but I don't really have any view on her presenting skills either way. It's sticking with the 'ludicrously powerful and expensive cars in primary colours driven in slow motion with close-ups on exhausts' theme which I have to say I find a bit boring. Who cares which one goes round a track fastest? I don't have a spare million quid for a car or access to a race track (although most of the TG presenters do, which is who the programme seems to be aimed at?) The star in a car /cheer for the best car bit has to go, toe curling bad!!

An interesting and rather balanced review here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/top-...e-missing-out/
    So clever my foot fell off.

The difference between episodes one & two & episode three is that car content overwhelmingly trumped presenter content last night.

The worst part of episode three: Kevin Hart & Frank Bruno Anthony Joshua being spoken down to by Chris Evans.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Yep, sums it up well for me - Get rid of Evans and it might be worth watching!

I'll be back when he's gone. He was a STUPID choice and events have proven those who thought so right... He is ALWAYS going to drag down every effort the others make.

BBC, please accept you don't need your current favourite presenter on EVERY bloody programme (It was Clare Balding for a couple of years...) and Evans is not made for TV...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 13th June 2016 at 17:16.

That all sounds fair enough but why on earth was the worst of the 3 episodes the one that started the series? Ratings have tanked and it would seem that it didn't have to be that way. A lack of confidence from the BBC?

Enjoyed episode 3 far more than the others. The Chris Harris film was fantastic and the highlight of the new Top Gear so far for me. Although his personality hasn't really come through yet, he felt a bit dialled down somehow. Hopefully he'll find his feet and become a regular presenter.

The stars in an overpriced rally cross car really should be scrapped. It went on for about 15 minutes last night, far too long and just not interesting at all. Seems like CE has booked in a lot of celebrity mates and they can promote their latest crap ad infinitum. I know it was ever thus but it seems far more overt somehow and far, far too long.

In general I don't think chopping and changing between multiple presenters works anywhere near as well as having just the three. Their personalities won't have enough screen time to develop and neither will their opinions. One of the joys of old Top Gear was the bickering between the three.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. CE is just too bloody annoying. Yes JC was sometimes annoying but usually very funny with it, he played up to his caricature.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    That all sounds fair enough but why on earth was the worst of the 3 episodes the one that started the series? Ratings have tanked and it would seem that it didn't have to be that way. A lack of confidence from the BBC?
    A very good question.

I think it was a strategy that only time will tell if it has worked.

My guess is that they made s calculation that no matter what they showed in the first couple of episodes, it was going to be slated by the Daily Heil and most of the press, whose vitriol has been as bad as was aimed at Labour in the General Election - and that's saying something! And JC and co fans were going to hate it regardless, simply because it wasn't Top Gear as it was.

So they decided to take the hit for the first couple of shows, then when the press and others have lost interest (because even the DM runs out of puff eventually and turns its fury on something else), they then start to rebuild it and develop a new fan base.

Just a theory anyhow.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Enjoyed episode 3 far more than the others. The Chris Harris film was fantastic and the highlight of the new Top Gear so far for me. Although his personality hasn't really come through yet, he felt a bit dialled down somehow. Hopefully he'll find his feet and become a regular presenter.
    I agree completely. I really do hope he gets to do more. And that they'll allow him to speak his mind. It was CH, but somewhat subdued. We all know there's more to him than we saw last night.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Well I downloaded #3 today and gave it a whirl. I didn't bother watching #2 so can't comment,but it was better than #1 although that's not to say it's anything other than average overall.
    Chris Evans is always going to be an irritating <insert word of choice here> and the show will improve if someone locks him in a deep,dark dungeon for the rest of the series.
    Matt LeBlanc is improving and coming across better. I quite enjoyed the tour of London although it was a bit 'bubblegum'...by the way....what does the red button do?
    I also quite enjoyed Chris Harris' bit about the Ferrari....not so sure about the guy who did the hot hatches feature. I got bored.
    I personally think Sabine is a good addition and there should be a bit more of her.
    The pile of poo that is the (apparently) stars in a rallycross car should be scrapped for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    agree that the BBC/the creative behind it should have bitten the bullet to really change the format rather than re-hash it.
    I'd think the BBC's hand were tied with the format. The show is sold to 80 countries. I imagine many said they'll continue to buy the product as long as it doesn't change too much. Obviously the presenters are new, try a new format and you've got your work cut out trying to sell it.

Well episode 3 was excellent in my opinion.

They are rapidly finding their feet.
    I agree, let's hope they can keep it up.

Sent from the top of a hill using semaphore.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    So I didn't see the first episode.

However, i must say, i've now seen episodes 2 and 3 and i thought they were brilliant. Very entertaining. Just the right balance of info and comedy. It really works for me. Bravo!

An no controversy means no real fun. It's a celeb game show with cars and Chris Evans. Not a patch, guys.
    I notice they've lost a third of their viewers. Sundays Ep was the lowest in over ten years according to the Huffington Post.

Sunday's episode (3) was live-with-able. "Stars" in a "reasonably priced car" should be reported to Trading Standards for misrepresentation and I hope they ditch it soon. Matt going through the town wasn't half as cringeworthy as I'd expected. Yep, I think it is coming together slowly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yep, sums it up well for me - Get rid of Evans and it might be worth watching!

I'll be back when he's gone. He was a STUPID choice and events have proven those who thought so right... He is ALWAYS going to drag down every effort the others make.

BBC, please accept you don't need your current favourite presenter on EVERY bloody programme (It was Clare Balding for a couple of years...) and Evans is not made for TV...

M.
    I hear that they are in discussions with Clare Balding for the 'Dyke on a Bike' section, where she gets to throw a sturdy thigh over the latest two wheel exotica

Didn't find much to like in the first episode. UK vs US themed battle was long and embarrassing. I can only imagine it sounded better in the production team's round-table discussion and aced Sven's mood board. Star in a rally cross car misses the original (good) joke of a supposedly well-pampered star having to slum it in a basic car. The hand and wallet of Mini Brand Management seems evident. Dull, commercial and contrived.

Second episode I've forgotten already. I think it was better though. Third was fine, a decent show. Would have liked to have been told something about the car Ken Block was hooning around in. It being a car show and all. Despite the monkeying around, you always knew what Clarkson and co thought of a car, and why. Also, the trademark Clarkson outrageous simile is something best left to Clarkson. He's been practicing that prose style for decades and he's good at it. The newcomers' efforts are weak parody, and would be best omitted.

I've waited three episodes and I think overall, Evans is the big mistake. Clarkson could work a standing audience. You got the feeling he was chatting with the audience and just stepped out to do a few lines. Often he'd chat back. A standing audience is quite unique. A big shed full of car nuts, talking cars and other nonsense. Clarkson built the show around it.

Evans presents like Dexter Fletcher hosting GamesMaster. Like Fletcher, confusing volume for energy. He's tiring to watch. This is no shed full of car nuts engaged in a conversation. This is a shed-shaped studio with Evans presenting to an audience deprived of chairs. Big difference.

I would have found a place for Edd China somewhere, a host with screen presence and real knowledge, minus ego. A James May replacement. Haven't seen Chris Harris' other work but seems most promising based on this effort. Schmitz is very good. Reid was good enough. LeBlanc has more screen time than any of them. If he doesn't get forced into the 'American Abroad! Let's wrap him in a stars-and-stripes and put him a three wheeler! How amusing! London Bus backdrop!" idiocy, he'll be a good addition.

Just need to turn down Evans and it'll be fine.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 14th June 2016 at 07:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    ... This is no shed full of car nuts engaged in a conversation. This is a shed-shaped studio with Evans presenting to an audience deprived of chairs. Big difference.

I'd never thought of it this way but now you mention it I think your analysis is bang on. Essentially JC was filmed working the audience. CE's focus is towards the camera, the audience are there but there's no real bonding. Very interesting, thanks!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Didn't find much to like in the first episode. UK vs US themed battle was long and embarrassing. I can only imagine it sounded better in the production team's round-table discussion and aced Sven's mood board. Star in a rally cross car misses the original (good) joke of a supposedly well-pampered star having to slum it in a basic car. The hand and wallet of Mini Brand Management seems evident. Dull, commercial and contrived.

Second episode I've forgotten already. I think it was better though. Third was fine, a decent show. Would have liked to have been told something about the car Ken Block was hooning around in. It being a car show and all. Despite the monkeying around, you always knew what Clarkson and co thought of a car, and why. Also, the trademark Clarkson outrageous simile is something best left to Clarkson. He's been practicing that prose style for decades and he's good at it. The newcomers' efforts are weak parody, and would be best omitted.

I've waited three episodes and I think overall, Evans is the big mistake. Clarkson could work a standing audience. You got the feeling he was chatting with the audience and just stepped out to do a few lines. Often he'd chat back. A standing audience is quite unique. A big shed full of car nuts, talking cars and other nonsense. Clarkson built the show around it.

Evans presents like Dexter Fletcher hosting GamesMaster. Like Fletcher, confusing volume for energy. He's tiring to watch. This is no shed full of car nuts engaged in a conversation. This is a shed-shaped studio with Evans presenting to an audience deprived of chairs. Big difference.

I would have found a place for Edd China somewhere, a host with screen presence and real knowledge, minus ego. A James May replacement. Haven't seen Chris Harris' other work but seems most promising based on this effort. Schmitz is very good. Reid was good enough. LeBlanc has more screen time than any of them. If he doesn't get forced into the 'American Abroad! Let's wrap him in a stars-and-stripes and put him a three wheeler! How amusing! London Bus backdrop!" idiocy, he'll be a good addition.

Just need to turn down Evans and it'll be fine.
    Bang on the money. Great shout too for Ed China, thinking about it he as close as you can get to James May (with bad hair and all) very down to earth and really knows his stuff. Been watching him for years on wheeler dealers, Mike Brewer on the other hand..

... then start to rebuild it and develop a new fan base.
    They will need to hurry up; they are already half way through the six episode series.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    Bang on the money. Great shout too for Ed China, thinking about it he as close as you can get to James May (with bad hair and all) very down to earth and really knows his stuff. Been watching him for years on wheeler dealers, Mike Brewer on the other hand..
    I'm not so sure about that, have you seen the latest series of WD on Discovery?

It's set in America again, not that that's a bad thing, but some of the dialogue and tweaking of the show format is cringe worthy.

I still watch it of course!

I understand that Edd used to oversee a lot of the 'special vehicles' on TG, so I'm sure if he'd been interested or they in him, something could have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I'd never thought of it this way but now you mention it I think your analysis is bang on. Essentially JC was filmed working the audience. CE's focus is towards the camera, the audience are there but there's no real bonding. Very interesting, thanks!
    Clarkson was a showman/show off, he loves an audience and enjoys a bit of back and forth too.

Evans is a radio presenter, he enjoys the one way traffic of putting out his witticisms and only have sycophants around to giggle and coo at his hilarity...

Some will dislike either or both, but Clarkson works on TV with a live audience (presumably why the live shows sell out so quickly too) and Evans doesn't...

M

Watch number 3 - better!!

I am warming to MLB - brings gentle humour.
    Liking Monkey Harris (but always have been) pus he can really drive.

No love for all the rest. Especially CE and EJ - hateful.

Why not get Tiff or Jason Plato - or perhaps Jenson Button .

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Watch number 3 - better!!

I am warming to MLB - brings gentle humour.
    Liking Monkey Harris (but always have been) pus he can really drive.

No love for all the rest. Especially CE and EJ - hateful.

Why not get Tiff or Jason Plato - or perhaps Jenson Button .
    So long as Evans is on it I can't bring myself to watch any of it as I tried the first episode but as soon as he ran up to MLB and high fived him whilst screeching I just can't watch it and I also can't bear the screaming noisy German girl either.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    So long as Evans is on it I can't bring myself to watch any of it as I tried the first episode but as soon as he ran up to MLB and high fived him whilst screeching I just can't watch it and I also can't bear the screaming noisy German girl either.
    Likewise - I won't watch until Evans is gone.

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I'm with you all the way on this! Evans and Sabine are almost equally annoying and unlike some of the reports above I will NOT be warming to Matt LeBlanc at all.
    To be honest, the only bit I watched was Chris Harris in the Ferrari which was passable as entertainment, although a bit too much drifting around, creating smoke effects out of tyres that probably cost nearly as much as my car, certainly they cost as much as my wristwatch. A silly habit that needs to stop - fine spectacle and all that, but if it was fast you would get Hamilton and Rosberg doing it every fortnight.
    Not sure what all that nonsense with Mrs Texas et al was all about (was that Ep 2 or 3?) - every time I flicked channels there was a whole row of minor celebs sitting in line talking rubbish.
    I should think BBC are quite relieved that they are halfway through the series and still have some viewers. Hopefully they can go away and completely re-write the format in the break - or maybe can the whole thing and let it die a natural death.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I'm with you all the way on this! Evans and Sabine are almost equally annoying and unlike some of the reports above I will NOT be warming to Matt LeBlanc at all.
    To be honest, the only bit I watched was Chris Harris in the Ferrari which was passable as entertainment, although a bit too much drifting around, creating smoke effects out of tyres that probably cost nearly as much as my car, certainly they cost as much as my wristwatch. A silly habit that needs to stop - fine spectacle and all that, but if it was fast you would get Hamilton and Rosberg doing it every fortnight.
    Not sure what all that nonsense with Mrs Texas et al was all about (was that Ep 2 or 3?) - every time I flicked channels there was a whole row of minor celebs sitting in line talking rubbish.
    I should think BBC are quite relieved that they are halfway through the series and still have some viewers. Hopefully they can go away and completely re-write the format in the break - or maybe can the whole thing and let it die a natural death.

Hehe I tried the very first episode but when Evans came on shouting and then ran in a very girly way to MLB I was too embarrassed to continue and as for that annoying Sabine oh no I couldn't bear her in the previous TG and she will be worse in this one.

The highlight of the series was that 250 TDF...though I was expecting Chris Evans to say it was his when they went back to the studio

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The BBC has access to some excellent writers, if TG really is the corporation's biggest earner they need to start putting their mouth where their money is before the lot disappears.

The answer doesn't seem to have been clinging onto a successful format running out of ideas, reliant on the chemistry between the three hosts. And Wilman's and Porter's ideas. With most of its viewers tuning in just to see how it's going to fail.

Eddie Jordan was dire as an F1 pundit and is even more dire on TG.

LeBlanc has been a pleasant surprise and deserves to stay. Evans and Jordan aren't working. I'd rather see Jimmy Carr presenting and Brian Blessed doing the voiceovers. I went to see TG six or so years ago and Clarkson had everyone in stitches for something like three hours, around 90% of it unuseable even after the watershed. For some reason I can't imagine Evans doing that. Give Carr and LeBlanc a celebrity co-host every week but not someone as indifferent to the general populace as Gordon Ramsay.

Actually, just bring in the regulars from 9 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown and have Rachel Riley gainfully employed throughout.

So, to summarise: Rachel Riley.
    I agree with most of what you said.... Haven't seen ep 2 yet...

It's perhaps indicative a bit of the interest I now have in it that it took me a week to realise I had actually missed episode 2 having been out most of day and then catching up with Moto GP ....

Didn't make it t TG itself but was at a Jaguar dealership opening with JC hosting it....and was yes...genuinely funny...prepared script very funny inc insulting a director of Jaguar who was actually there for being American... but then took questions totally unprepared and was hilarious....

I disagree on Carr, I don't need to be starving for an excuse to punch him in the face....

The trouble with Evans is he relies on script writers to be funny if at all.....and those script writers unlike JC are very unlikely to have any passion of knowledge of cars... Exhibit 1 Danny baker.... Extremely unfunny anyway and no clue of cars at all...

A mate of his (like spittierri who has been on countless shows of his....this sells world wide ....who the hell abroad would have heard of her?)

The STIARPC was amusing sometime but at least only occasionally had 2 people not this double up job...... I also agree with above that the joke was mainly wealthy celebs in a crappy budget car on tarmac track... A short piece now the £30k odd I guess Mini Cooper and overlong rally cross segment "getting air"
    is rubbish and misses the point completely....

I'm sort of sticking with it as I liked the vintage Ferrari piece and MLB has promised to get some bikes in more though....

and do agree Rachel Riley would brighten anyone's evening up though

T

Master
    Likewise - I won't watch until Evans is gone.

M.
    I will record and ffw his bits. It's the only way I can watch.

I was actually indifferent to Evans and even enjoyed TFI Friday back when it was originally on. He's just not right for this show. He never was and the BBC need to ensure he's not involved in the next series. Also bin Sabine, never let Jordan anywhere near a camera again but keep all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post

and do agree Rachel Riley would brighten anyone's evening up though
    No, her appeal utterly baffles me...

Although if it's her or Evans, then, she gets my vote - Hell, I'd even prefer Clare Balding (I draw the line at Claudia Winkelman though, unless someone else does her makeup and persuades her to wear her glasses so she doesn't permanently squint at the Autocue...)

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 15th June 2016 at 13:29.

No, her appeal utterly baffles me...

Although if it's her or Evans, then, she gets my vote - Hell, I'd even prefer Clare Balding (I draw the line at Claudia Winkelman though, unless someone else does her makeup and persuades her to wear her glasses so she doesn't permanently squint at the Autocue...)

M.
    She's not my favourite ever but she does have some appeal... Was sorta joining in with the joke a bit but I certainly wouldn't be kicking her out for leaving biscuit crumbs on the duvet...

Master
    Thought this episode was already markedly better than the first (missed the second). Chris Harris segment was a highlight for me, as a long time watcher of his YouTube content. Also quite like Rory Reid and think he's going to settle in to things pretty well - he seems a natural in front of the camera.

Unfortunately I do have to agree though that Chris Evans needs to go. I admire his enthusiasm but his voiceover dialog on the VT's seems so forced and un-natural and I find the stuff in the studio a bit toe curling generally. I'm going to be the first to defend them overall - people expect a bunch of people from all sorts of areas of media to just gel together in the same way that three motoring journalists did over 14 years of working together - which of course just isn't going to happen.

I will keep recording it and watching it for now even if I think it's far from perfect as I just don't want them to scrap it!

I really enjoyed episode four tonight. The Vulcan and Tesla films were excellent. The Tesla is simply incredible.

The Stars were a bit flat, but the Venice trip was good fun with great scenery.

Eddie Jordan isn't up to the job though - at least they are treating him as a bit of a joke.

Extra Gear is really worth watching too - more for the actual petrolheads.

A good episode overall tonight, EJ was a bit grating though as was CE. As usual still shouty and the stars bit was poor. Enjoyed the Vulcan, the Italy race and the Tesla though.

Yep, enjoyed tonight's episode. Even Evans didn't annoy me. Why the hell did they start out with the crap they did? Set the whole tone which they're struggling to recover from.

Jordan is now the worst thing on the show.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Jordan did my nut in on the F1 today. He seemed to contradict everything Coulthard was saying just for the sake of it. I try to like him, but it's getting harder.
    I think he is completely pointless on both F1 and Top Gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Am I alone in thinking Sabine is the worst presenter out of all of them then?

She makes me cringe.

Master
    Agree about Jordan, can't stand him!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Also agree about Sabine, just horrible!! Still really like Chris Harris though

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sabine is okay, she needs to relax more. Jordan should be dumped. I don't belief MLB rode the Gold Wing all that way. Faked. He is the best of them though.

Why have Chris Harris? The Clarkson, May or Hammond wetsuits have done a better job of the review.

Still not as good as the real TG.

The Tesla was impressive. I'll have two @ £90k.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 19th June 2016 at 23:45.

Master
    Can't take to it at all - segments are ok (tesla tonight) but the attempt on the same format is simply pathetic - the introduction of the stig for example - bloody awful......

Blog Entries
    First time I watched a part of the show. The Italy race. I got interested because the route by car and bike was partly the same route we drove last summer towards Italy. I really thought that it was a re-enacted 'Old TG' item with (let's say) a few friends or family members trying to do their best copying Clarkson, Hammond and May... That would have been funny and well-done. This was pathetic! Total lack of originality!

'Copying is the highest form of flattery'...

Menno

Master
    Is anyone else finding that there's always something better to watch or do (like go to bed!)? I mean last night I watched a couple of mins of the Tesla bit but then SWMBO says why not watch the final episodes of the Disappearance we had recorded from the night before... it was a no brainer; watch the french mystery. Every week I seem to catch the odd couple of mins but then always find something better to watch... I can't even be bothered to record it because I know I'll never be bothered to watch it. In it's heyday I would have made watching TG a priority but now it's not even on the list. If faced with the choice of X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Strictly Dancing OR TG.... I rather watch one of the others.
    Okay I wouldn't really.... I'd switch the telly off and read a book and listen to some music! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Is anyone else finding that there's always something better to watch or do (like go to bed!)? I mean last night I watched a couple of mins of the Tesla bit but then SWMBO says why not watch the final episodes of the Disappearance we had recorded from the night before... it was a no brainer; watch the french mystery. Every week I seem to catch the odd couple of mins but then always find something better to watch... I can't even be bothered to record it because I know I'll never be bothered to watch it. In it's heyday I would have made watching TG a priority but now it's not even on the list. If faced with the choice of X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Strictly Dancing OR TG.... I rather watch one of the others.
    Okay I wouldn't really.... I'd switch the telly off and read a book and listen to some music! ;-)
    Interesting you say that because it didn't hold my attention either. I found myself in the kitchen looking for a charger. Clearly I was watching the show, remembered I needed to put the tablet on charge and got up and walked out. TBH I didn't even realise I was doing it. It wasn't a bad show just, well, missable.